• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember I didn't play Super Mario 64 because I missed out on the first 63 Mario games.

jokin of course lol

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, uncharted collection apparently has sold 5.5/6 million. It's not as much as 4 obviously, but still a damn big percentage.

Uncharted was always a big seller. Metroid Prime doesn't really have that privilege.

Really the number is inconsequential.

Metroid Prime 4 isn't gonna stop being 4 if they call it Metroid Prime: The Quickening or something.

Precisely my point. It's not gonna matter to fans of the series, will definitely matter to the people that aren't yet.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted was always a big seller. Metroid Prime doesn't really have that privilege.

Precisely my point. It's not gonna matter to fans of the series, will definitely matter to the people that aren't yet.
The number itself was about the percentage and not the total sales overall.

But like I said, if prime trilogy is real, the 4 won't be an issue.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The number itself was about the percentage and not the total sales overall.

But like I said, if prime trilogy is real, the 4 won't be an issue.

If you think that the two situations are in any way comparable, I don't know what to tell you. The number will represent a barrier of entry, it's as simple as that. There's a reason why we've seen companies move away from numbered sequels but I guess if Nintendo is happy with the series performance, they can keep doing it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not hard to recognize why a consumer seeing the number "4" might be turned off from buying that product even if Trilogy comes. Not everyone will play Trilogy or know about it.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If you think that the two situations are in any way comparable, I don't know what to tell you. The number will represent a barrier of entry, it's as simple as that. There's a reason why we've seen companies move away from numbered sequels but I guess if Nintendo is happy with the series performance, they can keep doing it.
I think they will feel that prime trilogy, combined with good marketing and a good launch time, and some streamlined mechanics will have it sell enough and don't expect it to get to the mario or zelda stratosphere.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
4 will probably have a subtitle since 2 and 3 did. I guess a Nintendo game like Xenoblade 2 could have sold a lot more if it didn't have a number... but it didn't hinder it from being generally successful. Prime 4 will have a higher target, of course, but there's also less expectation among costumers that they'd be lost, since I'm sure the box and marketing will emphasis "The series returns with an all-new story!"

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GTA V has sold 50 million more units than IV

Number won't be a problem
GTA isn't a niche product nor been dead for 10 years. Metroid is a niche series and the Prime series has been absent for 10 years.

Again, I wouldn't be too worried because Nintendo's marketing should be doing its job and telling all new consumers this is a new story.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GTA V has sold 50 million more units than IV

Number won't be a problem
gta is the one of the biggest series ever, everyone already knows what they're getting, and no one feels like they'd be missing out by not playing 4 or 3. metroid could use any help it gets, and part of that is attracting new players.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
GTAV has an incredibly successful multiplayer mode that carried the game to these heights. Do you think Prime 4 will transcend the series?
It's more of the fact that it's generally known that each game starts with different characters/setting, and the story is a secondary feature to sandbox-ing.

I mean, I should also hope a lot of potential buyers are generally aware that Metroid isn't a story-heavy cinematic game or RPG.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's kind of a pointless debate since we might not know potentially until e3. Either way, we'll find out if prime trilogy is even a thing that actually exists next week. If a direct next week exists.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to see the Metroid series get the sales it finally deserves. I want every possible decision to be made to maximize the sales of Metroid Prime 4. Don't compare it to GTA or Uncharted or some other series. Metroid needs help, those other series don't need help.

This is why I also want it to be a holiday title. I don't want early 2020. If it can't make this holiday then I want it to release holiday 2020.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
It's being positioned as a tent pole title. If it delivers on the quality front it will see a huge surge in sales like most of Nintendo's 1st party.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to see the Metroid series get the sales it finally deserves. I want every possible decision to be made to maximize the sales of Metroid Prime 4. Don't compare it to GTA or Uncharted or some other series. Metroid needs help, those other series don't need help.

This is why I also want it to be a holiday title. I don't want early 2020. If it can't make this holiday then I want it to release holiday 2020.
If it's not this holiday, then next holiday will likely be odyssey 2, or even the next 3d zelda? It's never getting a holiday launch.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
GTAV has an incredibly successful multiplayer mode that carried the game to these heights. Do you think Prime 4 will transcend the series?
If the game is good I'm sure lot of people will pick a Metroid game for the first time, I believe Nintendo wants a BOTW effect with all their main franchises. I know people who never played Zelda but bought BOTW because they they love open world games. We know MP4 will be "a return to the roots" but I also believe it will include elements that will make it attractive to non Metroid fans. I'm sure one will be online multiplayer.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If the game is good I'm sure lot of people will pick a Metroid game for the first time, I believe Nintendo wants a BOTW effect with all their main franchises. I know people who never played Zelda but bought BOTW because they they love open world games. We know MP4 will be "a return to the roots" but I also believe it will include elements that will make it attractive to non Metroid fans. I'm sure one will be online multiplayer.

Yes, BotW which isn't a numbered sequel.

The entire point of this discussion is that there is no benefit to having a number in the title, only downsides. It might not have a huge impact but it makes no sense to intentionally limit potential sales.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

The entire point of this discussion is that there is no benefit to having a number in the title, only downsides. It might not have a huge impact but it makes no sense to intentionally limit potential sales.
Zelda also has never been a numbered series though. There is a potential downside to having prime 4 not be numbered, like the 3 prime spinoffs.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017

Zelda is way more popular than Metroid, it wasn't numbered but people knew it wasn't the first Zelda ever and that they might not get all of the story. That didn't prevent them from buying the game. I don't think MP4 will be numbered, I could see it having some name like Metroid Prime Resurrection, but I doubt the number would be such a big deal.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't those two contradict each other? A big focus on VA and cinematic would be the exact opposite of returning to the roots of Prime 1.

I mean, we already know that they are returning to the "roots of the original Metroid Prime game" based on the E3 Fact Sheet, and that also specifically mentions "action, isolation and exploration" as three main points. That is exactly what "returning to the roots of Prime 1" would be, not a super cinematic experience.

I do agree with your other point though; they need an online multiplayer mode to try and chase for the Halo audience and also pull in general FPS fans to make Metroid a bigger franchise.
I don't think they necessarily contradict each other. You can make a linear story progression in a Metroidvania. For me it's mostly a way to say I'd like Metroid to be a Nintendo franchise chasing a certain mainstream crowd popular on other platforms. Since Metroid has no real niche as a franchise now, I think that'd be good long term since a succesful Metroid would mean more Metroid games.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, even then, I don't know if that would actually help. It's better off coming in some really empty month vs just stuffing it in holidays around other really big AAA games.
Nintendo doesn't worry about other AAA games lol. Come on dude. Reggie just told you how important those 3 months are. Idk why you're trying to downplay the build up of a holiday released Metroid Prime game.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Zelda also has never been a numbered series though. There is a potential downside to having prime 4 not be numbered, like the 3 prime spinoffs.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. No idea how they made that transition tho. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nobody is gonna think that Prime 4 is a spinoff if it doesn't have a number. Did people think Assassin's Creed: Unity was a spin-off? Of course not.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doesn't worry about other AAA games lol. Come on dude. Reggie just told you how important those 3 months are. Idk why you're trying to downplay the build up of a holiday released Metroid Prime game.
But the whole point of what we are talking about is specifically prime 4 sales/metroid sales. Holidays are important because that's when tons of people will get systems/games on sale. Brand new games for holiday are big ones that sell themselves, not a game like prime 4. Those other AAA games should be worried about because they are going to detract from prime 4 big time. They aren't going to detract pokemon or smash.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole "having no number, but having a subtitle will confuse people as a spin-off" is so overblown. No one is going to think Metroid Prime: subtitle is a spin-off. The new consumers to Metroid won't even know wth spinoffs the series has.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they necessarily contradict each other. You can make a linear story progression in a Metroidvania. For me it's mostly a way to say I'd like Metroid to be a Nintendo franchise chasing a certain mainstream crowd popular on other platforms. Since Metroid has no real niche as a franchise now, I think that'd be good long term since a succesful Metroid would mean more Metroid games.
No thanks, I'd rather not see metroid chase other big aaa series just for sales. If that's what it takes to get metroid to sell, then just let metroid go. I don't want the series to sellout to just make more games like that.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For MP4 Nintendo first and foremost needs to cater to the Metroid fans. From the little we read and info we've gathered it appears to be going in that direction- single player, first person adventure, one planet, isolation.

But they'll also want to expand the series. I think keeping some VA and cutscenes is a must. I'm not saying have a lot of it, but some. Also, expand the combat with melee options and what not. Of course, don't forget a much bigger scope since Prime 3. One huge planet to explore with clean beautiful visuals.

They're not trying to turn this into some first person shooter or something that's not Metroid. So don't mess with that.

I think the biggest draw for consumer expansion is in the multiplayer- specifically online multiplayer. Go bonkers and all out on that.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No thanks, I'd rather not see metroid chase other big aaa series just for sales. If that's what it takes to get metroid to sell, then just let metroid go. I don't want the series to sellout to just make more games like that.
So you'd rather not add things that add on to a franchise rather than it not becoming bigger? We're talking what is essentially a 3D Metroidvania, just adding robust online multiplayer and making the occassional story beat more in line to what other high budget shooters do. I'd rather Metroid finally becoming succesful, espescially since the core gameplay would be the same as ever.

For MP4 Nintendo first and foremost needs to cater to the Metroid fans. From the little we read and info we've gathered it appears to be going in that direction- single player, first person adventure, one planet, isolation.

But they'll also want to expand the series. I think keeping some VA and cutscenes is a must. I'm not saying have a lot of it, but some. Also, expand the combat with melee options and what not. Of course, don't forget a much bigger scope since Prime 3. One huge planet to explore with clean beautiful visuals.

They're not trying to turn this into some first person shooter or something that's not Metroid. So don't mess with that.

I think the biggest draw for consumer expansion is in the multiplayer- specifically online multiplayer. Go bonkers and all out on that.

Basically exactly how I feel. :)

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
But, if Nintendo is going to release the Prime Trilogy on Switch, why shouldn't they name the next game Metroid Prime 4 : Subtitle, with 4 included? It would be also a way to make players interested in the Trilogy.
Also Xenoblade 2 was named with the 2, and anyway it sold more than the original.
Having a number in the title isn't often a downside, according to me.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fucking with the core experience of Metroid would be very dumb and a marketing disaster waiting to happen. There's other stuff they can do within that framework to make it more appealing to mainstream audiences like adding more dynamic elements to the world and enemies.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's ironic that people now want more story and cinematics and cutscenes from metroid, and don't want it for zelda. For me it's the opposite.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
I think the 4 will be droped. And I'm really happy that they will use MP1 as inspiration.

I'm so hyped for the Trilogy, day freaking one.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Perhaps not the popular opinion, but I'm hoping it's simply called "Metroid" or "Metroid Prime" and that it is a full on reboot and they completely reinvent it from the ground up. This is their chance to have a big FPS franchise, so whilst it needs to keep it's own identity, it also needs to learn some lessons from the biggest success stories in the genre. That certainly means multiplayer, as a minimum. It also means 2020 the earliest, in my opinion.

I don't see why the themes of isolation and exploration mean they can't have cutscenes and story telling... it could go down an "Alien" route and be very atmospheric and isolating. I don't think they should do that necessarily, but I do think they are throwing some big production budget behind it and will be seeking to captivate a broader audience. And that means some changes are needed, because as much as I truly love the franchise, it's batting well below what it could do. I believe Halo should be the ambition, and not a clone... at least in success terms.

If you want traditional Metroid, you've got the NES Online game. And if you want traditional Metroid Prime, you've got the Trilogy remake (hopefully!). Perfect time to bring something completely new to the table.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Any rumors about a Switch firmware update?
I'm still missing at least folders. So far we got a major update after 3-6 month, where the 6.0.0 online update took the longest:

2.0.0 - 03/2017
3.0.0 - 06/2017
4.0.0 - 10/2017
5.0.0 - 03/2018
6.0.0 - 09/2018

I guess 03/2019 is a good estimate for 7.0.0, hopefully after getting only stability stuff, we eventually will get some usability updates.

Nov 3, 2017
Any rumors about a Switch firmware update?
I'm still missing at least folders. So far we got a major update after 3-6 month, where the 6.0.0 online update took the longest:

2.0.0 - 03/2017
3.0.0 - 06/2017
4.0.0 - 10/2017
5.0.0 - 03/2018
6.0.0 - 09/2018

I guess 03/2019 is a good estimate for 7.0.0, hopefully after getting only stability stuff, we eventually will get some usability updates.

I have completely given up on expecting anything from Switch OS updates. I would've thought that Nintendo would've used their experience from the 3DS/Wii U era to update the console with new features but that hasn't happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.