• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Pretty sure everyone knows a Direct is filmed and pieced together months in advance of the broadcast. The Nintendo NYC Store is just a private event -- a party, wedding, or whatever. It has nothing to do with a Direct, the impending release of a Direct, or any Direct matter.
Idk Nate, I question it sometimes with people posting and talking about that tweet lol

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure everyone knows a Direct is filmed and pieced together months in advance of the broadcast. The Nintendo NYC Store is just a private event -- a party, wedding, or whatever. It has nothing to do with a Direct, the impending release of a Direct, or any Direct matter.
Is it actually months? I honestly didn't know they were shot that ahead of time.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Is it actually months? I honestly didn't know they were shot that ahead of time.
It is planned more than a month in advance. Coordinating announcements, providing publishers/developers with advance notice to gather assets, trailers, gameplay footage all require a fair amount of lead time.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
il
It is planned more than a month in advance. Coordinating announcements, providing publishers/developers with advance notice to gather assets, trailers, gameplay footage all require a fair amount of lead time.
This is like trying to explain chemical reactions to 12th century peasants.

Just say it's magic and everyone is happy :D

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
So that would mean theoretically if there was a direct next week, and it theoretically revealed prime trilogy and maybe a prime 4 teaser, it would have meant they would have had to have decided on changing the game awards reveal to joker before shooting the direct.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
So that would mean theoretically if there was a direct next week, and it theoretically revealed prime trilogy and maybe a prime 4 teaser, it would have meant they would have had to have decided on changing the game awards reveal to joker before shooting the direct.
Theoretically, a Direct for January likely would have began production/planning in mid/late-November to early-December. Given the way the holidays fell this year, the former being the more likely.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I could see a Fire Emblem Direct in January/February and then make us wait until March for a General Direct, in which they show off Joker gameplay.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The thinking goes that they're going to have to announce and date Q2 games sooner than March. Even if it's just a Direct mini, it would be extremely weird if we had to wait until March. None of the other 2019 games even have a release window.

I could see a Mini before March, but this timeframe is extremely similar to the 2017/2018 General Directs; there was one in September, one in March.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
We usually start to hear of imminent directs during Saturday/Sunday, for what it's worth.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Theoretically, a Direct for January likely would have began production/planning in mid/late-November to early-December. Given the way the holidays fell this year, the former being the more likely.
that's part of why I think Yoshi was announced this week.

I figured maybe they weren't sure months ago when the direct was being made when if the game would hit the FY or not, so they decided to do Yoshi separate, and announce the date in January, when they felt sure it would hit.
that was my hypothesis

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
The thinking goes that they're going to have to announce and date Q2 games sooner than March. Even if it's just a Direct mini, it would be extremely weird if we had to wait until March. None of the other 2019 games even have a release window.

I'm 100% against a Mini coming. If there was a Mini, we'd have one by now and some of the games announced on Twitter would have been part of the lineup. We're overdue for a General Direct.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know you don't say anything anymore, but I do hope we get a Direct this upcoming week for peoples health.
tenor.gif

only the strongest nintendo fans survive

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm 100% against a Mini coming. If there was a Mini, we'd have one by now and some of the games announced on Twitter would have been part of the lineup. We're overdue for a General Direct.

I found the distinction between a general Direct and a mini rather arbitrary last time. In January 2018 they had

- The World Ends With You: Final Remix announcement
- New Pokkén Tournament DLC
- Kirby Star Allies release date
- Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition announcement
- Mario Tennis Aces announcement
- Ys VIII announcement
- Luigi's Balloon World for Mario Odyssey
- Mario + Rabbids Donkey Kong DLC
- Tropical Freeze announcement
- Dark Souls announcement

The March Direct was twice as long but had much more 3DS content and a lot of repeat Switch stuff. The Smash and Octo-Expansion announcements were obviously big deals but it's obvious why they were shown back then.

My point is basically, whether it's a Direct mini or not, they can still show exciting games.

tenor.gif

only the strongest nintendo fans survive

lmao

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
I found the distinction between a general Direct and a mini rather arbitrary last time. In January 2018 they had

- The World Ends With You: Final Remix announcement
- New Pokkén Tournament DLC
- Kirby Star Allies release date
- Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition announcement
- Mario Tennis Aces announcement
- Ys VIII announcement
- Luigi's Balloon World for Mario Odyssey
- Mario + Rabbids Donkey Kong DLC
- Tropical Freeze announcement
- Dark Souls announcement

The March Direct was twice as long but had much more 3DS content and a lot of repeat Switch stuff. The Smash and Octo-Expansion announcements were obviously big deals but it's obvious why they were shown back then.

My point is basically, whether it's a Direct mini or not, they can still show exciting games.

I understand what you're saying, and yes we did get quite a few announcements from the Mini. All I'm saying is that if it was a Mini, why wasn't it on the 10th? Doesn't make sense to have it later in the month unless it's a General Direct. And tbh there's ALOT that Nintendo should cover in that Direct.

Deleted member 14939

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just out of curiosity, is here an indie game big enough to carry February for the Switch? Wargroove just reaffirmed that it's releasing Q1 2019 on Twitter. Is Wargroove big enough? Slay The Spire? Other?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just out of curiosity, is here an indie game big enough to carry February for the Switch? Wargroove just reaffirmed that it's releasing Q1 2019 on Twitter. Is Wargroove big enough? Slay The Spire? Other?
define "carry". there aren't any notable indies in February on par with Undertale or Stardew Valley, if that's what you're asking

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I can't speak for Smash, but I have never have a problem with Splatoon's online and most of the complaints I have observed is from a vocal minority.
Seconded. I don't play Splatoon myself, but my oldest is deep into it, and the only complaints I get are due to the unskilled randos he gets paired up with.
Nintendo Directs are magic and a gift from the heavens for when fans behave.
7db.gif

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How likely is it that the rumored 2D Zelda game is a 2D Zelda Maker (like Super Mario Maker but for Zelda)?
I don't think it's very likely. component-wise, it's much more complex than a mario game and would need more rules than would be necessary for a "fun" game

Like would be a big enough game for February to not be considered "empty."
in that case, I'd say nothing. an indie getting to this position is a feat in and of itself. Stardew and Undertale had to have prior success to get there

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at SteamDB, what about a surprise release for Terraria and Hotline Miami maybe?
if it's going to be an indie port that really feels major, it has to be something that makes its console debut on switch (like hollow knight, for example), so it can't be stuff that people have played on like 10 other platforms. games like hotline miami or terraria coming to switch are more like inevitabilities, like "oh yeah it happened", not major news like "OMG IT HAPPENED".

Last edited:

Deleted member 14939

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
in that case, I'd say nothing. an indie getting to this position is a feat in and of itself. Stardew and Undertale had to have prior success to get there

I agree. I was wondering if I overlooked an indie coming out soon other than Wargroove. While it looks like a great game, it doesn't look like it will light the world on fire like Hollow Knight Switch did or even to the extent of Overcooked 2.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Thus far we've had teases for new stuff from NIS and Image & Form.

Have any other notable publishers or indie developers teased stuff for next week?

I am almost certain that if 17th is the Direct date, then the NIS title is revealed in it. About Image & Form I am absolutely certain their next title is launching with timed exclusivity on Switch and announced in next Direct.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
Thus far we've had teases for new stuff from NIS and Image & Form.

Have any other notable publishers or indie developers teased stuff for next week?

I am almost certain that if 17th is the Direct date, then the NIS title is revealed in it. About Image & Form I am absolutely certain their next title is launching with timed exclusivity on Switch and announced in next Direct.
Does NIS have anything to do with Ys IX?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think those other companies doing announcements means there's a direct on the 17th. It could be one of those days where different companies happen to make announcements.

But the companies who are making announcements are interesting, especially Image and Form. They announced Steamworld Dig 2 first with Nintendo.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
What do you guys think of the possibility of Nintendo holding a press conference this month to announce a Switch Pro or Switch Mini or whatever alongside some new software to go alongside it? I don't think Nintendo would leave February completely empty with no major first-party or third-party releases on Switch. February seems like a good spot to release a new Switch SKU and maybe a launch title for said SKU. If there is a press conference, then Nintendo's announcing Yoshi and Final Fantasy port release dates on Twiter would make sense as those announcements would be too small for a press conference.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Image & Form, after the success of the SteamWorld series on Nintendo consoles, are very likely to announce big things in Directs. Personally it would be one of my most waited moments of Thursday's presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.