• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Yep I've said it a ton. Nintendo doesn't have enough teams. They don't have enough studios. When they need to constantly borrow from Monolith to make their EPD games they have a problem. It holds Monolith back. Seriously how understaffed is Nintendo I wonder. The outsource so much because they have like a legitimate 5-6 studios.

They're so overly cautious with buying or building new studios.
Almost every large studio outsources.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The things we all know is Nintendo isn't like Sony and Microsoft, they basically only running in gaming industry while the others two are two big company in tech industry, which is also why Nintendo console can't compare with the others in the technical aspect, and also why we can't expect them to buying or expanding whenever they want. They don't have that much resource or strong back up in case they going down hill.

I think they could stand to buy a studio or two if they really wanted to.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
User warned: Inflammatory generalizations
All these people complaining about "barren" months probably don't even play games and just bitch on forums about no games being released.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
It's clear to me that Nintendo is having problems shipping software. Yoshi and FE delayed. Aces and others launching undercooked. A lack of titles meaning they're missing out on momentum. They're throwing sales away and I'm pretty sure they know it.

How many people work there? Stuff like RDD. Required a HUGE amount of people. Could the problem be that they're simply understaffed? I guess they could expand but they seem to be a cautious company. Don't want to expand then have to contract again when another WiiU hits.

Nintendo is lucky the Wii U existed and no one bought it, otherwise how in the world would they be able to hold any sort of competent lineup without the dependance of rereleasing their old games?

That is exactly why I don't believe a single person when they say they have "enough teams" or "enough developers".

Yep I've said it a ton. Nintendo doesn't have enough teams. They don't have enough studios. When they need to constantly borrow from Monolith to make their EPD games they have a problem. It holds Monolith back. Seriously how understaffed is Nintendo I wonder. The outsource so much because they have like a legitimate 5-6 studios.

They're so overly cautious with buying or building new studios.

Era once again displays a misunderstanding of how game development actually works. Simply buying every studio in existence doesn't magically result in more games. There are better ways to get games out than over-expansion. Also, Nintendo was just coming off of two of their most ambitious titles in years, and still had staff working on 3DS projects. It was quite obvious that they wouldn't have a lot of new games for 2018. It takes time for new console projects to get started when coming off of a previous generation. Nintendo already puts out 25+ games each year across multiple platforms, with 4-6 of them coming from in-house teams. That's more than most publishers put out in an entire generation.

Simply put, no, Nintendo doesn't need to expand or buy more studios becuase they already have enough to begin with. Just because they aren't bombarding you with AAA games every single minnute doesn't mean they have content problems or are understaffed, especially when the vast majority of their games don't even have large team sizes to begin with.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I don't think this is the truth. They are in a tough spot because they don't get as many new third party games as other systems. In terms of first party output they are pretty much on par with Sony and are doing A LOT better than Microsoft. Basically they are the only big publisher/developer supporting their own system.
This is also BS as well. The Switch isn't starving for games from big publishers. Capcom, Sega, Bandai Namco, Ubisoft, Take-Two, and Square Enix all regularly release games for the Switch, especially now more than launch.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has plenty of money. Please don't make that up like Nintendo is some small company. It's a decision they make on their own of not expanding.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeeesh, this thread is full of cringe and desperation. It's no wonder leakers bailed out early on.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
This is also BS as well. The Switch isn't starving for games from big publishers. Capcom, Sega, Bandai Namco, Ubisoft, Take-Two, and Square Enix all regularly release games for the Switch, especially now more than launch.

It's starving for big new releases from most publisher outside of Nintendo. New as in not ports of last-gen games.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Nintendo has plenty of money. Please don't make that up like Nintendo is some small company. It's a decision they make on their own of not expanding.

Nintendo doesn't expand because they don't need to. The vast majority of their games require significantly less money and staff to produce than most major publishers. Only having around 300 developers internally plus Asset partners when needed is more than enough for the games Nintendo usually makes.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Nintendo doesn't expand because they don't need to. The vast majority of their games require significantly less money and staff to produce than most major publishers. Only having around 300 developers internally plus Asset partners when needed is more than enough for the games Nintendo usually makes.
The expanding shouldnt be to make the majority of there games bigger

More to just have more games in more areas in general

Aka revive star tropics

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
It's starving for big new releases from most publisher outside of Nintendo.

Not really either. 2018 already saw stuff like Dark Souls Remastered, BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, Crash N Sane Trillogy, Wolfenstien II, Diablo III, Fortnite, South Park, DBFZ, Octopath Traveler, and Major Indie games like Celeste and Dead Cells.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Not really either. 2018 already saw stuff like Dark Souls Remastered, BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, Crash N Sane Trillogy, Wolfenstien II, Diablo III, Fortnite, South Park, DBFZ, Octopath Traveler, and Major Indie games like Celeste and Dead Cells.

Sorry, check my edit.

Also I don't blame third parties for not releasing every title on Switch. It's obvious from Warframe to Ark that even though some big games CAN be released on the system, they probably shouldn't.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
The expanding shouldnt be to make the majority of there games bigger

More to just have more games in more areas in general

Aka revive star tropics

That's not how resources work. Nintendo's games are deliberately made smaller scale so that they can produce more titles at any given moment. Many people don't realize that games like BotW and Mario Odyssey are actually the exception rather than the rule when it comes to Nintendo. Nintendo has been known to do more with less. They already put out an insane number of titles yearly, but fans still want more, even durring their best days. No matter what, Nintendo just can't please you people.

Sorry, check my edit.

Okay, but remember, most publishers didn't expect the Switch to take off as fast as it did, so games that are developed with the system in mind will need time to complete. In the meantime, ports of older titles are a quick, cheap way to both bolster a library, and buy some time until more original titles start coming.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Okay, but remember, most publishers didn't expect the Switch to take off as fast as it did, so games that are developed with the system in mind will need time to complete. In the meantime, ports of older titles are a quick, cheap way to both bolster a library, and buy some time until more original titles start coming.

Do you think that the Switch is going to get the next Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect etc? I don't think it will. It will be lucky to get ports of old games from publishers.

I think the only games it has a chance of getting from third parties are smaller projects like Child of Light etc that can be released on the Switch and all other systems. Bigger games won't come. I think games like Doom: Eternal and MK are the outliers.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's not how resources work. Nintendo's games are deliberately made smaller scale so that they can produce more titles at any given moment. Many people don't realize that games like BotW and Mario Odyssey are actually the exception rather than the rule when it comes to Nintendo. Nintendo has been known to do more with less. They already put out an insane number of titles yearly, but fans still want more, even durring their best days. No matter what, Nintendo just can't please you people.

Nintendo being held to different standards is to be expected when they can't get third parties on board to give them the same level of support as they do on PS4 or XONE. When third parties deliver Red Dead Redemption, Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed on the other consoles, Switch owners will look to someone to get them something similar.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

this is very false. hell both xenoblade 2 and smash were mostly outsourced because they hadn't enough staff Lol. they NEED to expand theyself

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Do you think that the Switch is going to get the next Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect etc? I don't think it will. It will be lucky to get ports of old games from publishers.

I think the only games it has a chance of getting from third parties are smaller projects like Child of Light etc that can be released on the Switch and all other systems. Bigger games won't come. I think games like Doom: Eternal and MK are the outliers.

If they're designed with the Switch in mind, then I don't see why not. If its a remaster, then it's more than likely. Point is, if the Switch can run it, publishers will more than likely try to get it on there, even if it means bringing in a completely different team.

Nintendo being held to different standards is to be expected when they can't get third parties on board to give them the same level of support as they do on PS4 or XONE. When third parties deliver Red Dead Redemption, Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed on the other consoles, Switch owners will look to someone to get them something similar.

Games require time to make, and even then, it was obvious the Switch wasn't going to get every single AAA title in every series. That's just not what the console was designed for. Nintendo knew what they were getting into when they dropped out of the power race, and are willing to accept the sacrifices so long as their platform is still appealing to developers to put something on it.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
this is very false. hell both xenoblade 2 and smash were mostly outsourced because they hadn't enough staff Lol. they NEED to expand theyself

Xenoblade 2 had a lot of outsourcing because more than half of Monolithsoft was consumed by Assisting BotW's development. Had that not been the case, the game wouldn't have needed as much outsourcing. Outsourcing assets doesn't necessarily mean you don't have enough staff. Nintendo could theoretically still build all their assets in-house if they wanted to. It's just that it became increasingly expensive to do so towards the end of the Wii and DS days, and into the 3DS and Wii U era. So contracting those duties out to external houses is simply cheaper and faster than doing it in-house.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
All these people complaining about "barren" months probably don't even play games and just bitch on forums about no games being released.
In my case, I bought a Switch for Nintendo games & have little interest in re-buying most Wii U games, so there hasn't been a whole lot for me to play on the system beyond revisiting Smash, Splatoon 2, & ARMS. I would have double-dipped on DBFZ if it weren't for the frame-rate drops.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

No they don't. If they are making a game that needs more staff, then they'll find more staff. No need to have that many people on a yearly payroll if you are only going to use them at certain times.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
When did people assume that Bandai-Namco wouldn't have made Smash 4/Ultimate if EPD suddenly had more staff?

This also completely ignores the fact that Smash Bros. was never developed in-house as Sakurai never worked for Nintendo. HAL Labrotory developed the first two games prior to his departure, it when he founded Sora that they began pulling in other developers for the series.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It is kinda telling that 7 of the 8 multiplat games you listed were late ports. Hopefully that changes this year, or at least more devs bring exclusives to switch.

Of all the defenses I've seen, this is by far the worst lol. Unless you're being sarcastic this doesn't make any sense as a logical conclusion. It's not hard to see that Feb/March are quite barren.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
It is kinda telling that 7 of the 8 multiplat games you listed were late ports. Hopefully that changes this year, or at least more devs bring exclusives to switch.

I mean, that's pretty obvious considering you can't simply bang out a sizable title in less than a year. Publishers always use late ports and remasters to buy time while more original content is being developed. 2019 is when we'll start seeing a lot more games developed and released with the Switch in mind. Besides, most of those ports are only about a year old at the most.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, that's pretty obvious considering you can't simply bang out a sizable title in less than a year. Publishers always use late ports and remasters to buy time while more original content is being developed. 2019 is when we'll start seeing a lot more games developed and released with the Switch in mind. Besides, most of those ports are only about a year old at the most.
We're talking about ports here, not entirely new games. A year is still a long very long wait. It often hurts some games. FighterZ had an abysmal player base as a result of the late release. The "original content is still to be seen so it's not really an argument when they're theoretical at best. So far 2019 doesn't appear to be much different in terms of day and date releases so far, but I'm hopeful that will lessen as time elapses.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
The "original content is still to be seen so it's not really an argument when they're theoretical at best. So far 2019 doesn't appear to be much different in terms of day and date releases so far, but I'm hopeful that will lessen as time elapses.

There were reports that third parties unprepared for the Switch's success will need until 2019 for their games to be ready closer to release. Insiders have been backing this up. And you can see that this year and towards the end of last year, third party games started arriving much closer on Switch as the other versions, most of them arriving the same day.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018

Ignoring the fact that Smash has never been developed by a Nintendo studio, every game company outsources. Platinum outsources like crazy. Game Freak, Atlus, Tecmo, doesn't matter they all do it. Nintendo uses a lot of contractors/loan staff and always has (TOSE, etc). We're going to find out that Three Houses was outsourced like crazy too, no doubt.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Ignoring the fact that Smash has never been developed by a Nintendo studio, every game company outsources. Platinum outsources like crazy. Game Freak, Atlus, Tecmo, doesn't matter they all do it. Nintendo uses a lot of contractors/loan staff and always has (TOSE, etc). We're going to find out that Three Houses was outsourced like crazy too, no doubt.

It's similar to Western Television Animation really. While the main production, creation, and development is done by the core team, the actual animation aspect is almost always outsourced. Nintendo always has at least one asset partner on all of their in-house titles since the late Wii days. Even the low-res 3DS games had Nintendo contracting assets out, so it has little to do with HD development. Outsourcing asset creation is just faster and cheaper in most cases than painstakingly making your own assets, especially when such a practice becomes financially impossible to continue doing after a while.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
It's similar to Western Television Animation really. While the main production, creation, and development is done by the core team, the actual animation aspect is almost always outsourced. Nintendo always has at least one asset partner on all of their in-house titles, even the low-res 3DS games had Nintendo contracting assets out, so it has little to do with HD development. Outsourcing asset creation is just faster and cheaper in most cases than painstakingly making your own assets, especially when such a practice becomes financially impossible to continue doing after a while.

Arguably, they're doing more internally now than before (though probably not proportionately) now that they set up a studio - Monolith Kyoto - and repurposed another - 1UP.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Anyone think that there's any possibility of a direct dropping soon without an announcement like last January?
CrYPZUT.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.