• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I've got an idea for an eShop sequel that will guarantee Nintendo moves at least 1.5 million Switches in a single month.
tumblr_nrggor5vd41r7sijxo1_400.gif
It won't just move 1.5 Switches, it'll literally move entire continents.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Tropical Freeze outselling Kirby Star Allies this year is a pretty interesting result.
Yeah, it is.

Out of curiosity, what do people in this thread think is in the immediate future for the Donkey Kong franchise? Since Retro presumably isn't working on a sequel. Is Nintendo just going to wait for Retro to be available before starting the next Donkey Kong? Or will they do something else with the franchise?

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Yeah, it is.

Out of curiosity, what do people in this thread think is in the immediate future for the Donkey Kong franchise? Since Retro presumably isn't working on a sequel. Is Nintendo just going to wait for Retro to be available before starting the next Donkey Kong? Or will they do something else with the franchise?

Bring back Paon!

Jan 9, 2018
Yeah, it is.

I kinda want a 3D DK from EPD but that's just me being hopeful.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't get why Nintendo is so silent. They have so much to talk about yet they barely say anything. To quote someone from the NPD thread:

Seems like you weren't paying attention during the N64 era. They could go 6 or 8 months without saying anything. It was horrible.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, well if you need a recap of the past 12 hours or so:
  • Ehoavash thinks that a Direct will probably happen before March, because an unannounced First-Party title is releasing really soon (possibly in February).
  • Liam Robertson and Tom Phillips were teasing this week as being big.
  • Zell was proven right and the Indie Presentation was announced.
Am I missing anything?

Cheers. Very curious what that first party game could be.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
They just teased....something. Given they're in Europe it's quite possible they just mean the Indie Highlights video, but hopefully there's something bigger than that.

Liam Robertson and Tom Phillips were definitely teasing the Nindies showcase. They both have appreciation for games of all kinds.

Nothing else this week.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how Super Mario 3D World is underrated.

Critically acclaimed by fans and critcs. There's some vocal fans about the game but it isn't the overwhelming opinion. Personally love the creativeness but it took far to long to get interesting. Plus the 4-player aspect brought down the game for some if you played alone, level design is clearly design for more then 1 player.

Wish I could've played it with other people.

Sergio

Nov 13, 2018
I have just one wish for today Nindies Highlights.

What Remains Of Edith Finch: Nintendo Switch Edition

Pleeeeeeeease?

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I've seen some admiration for it in some places (such as this thread), but yeah, overall it is really underrated.

So maybe they should release it on a system that people actually own so that it can actually be appreciated. Hmm...
Yeah definitely. And I think that since Odyssey is already out on the Switch, people would be a lot more willing to appreciate 3D World on its own merits. As a follow-up to Galaxy and Galaxy 2, on a console desperate for a smash hit, people were quick to be disappointed by it. But on a really successful console that has already had a groundbreaking new sandbox 3D Mario, it could really thrive and achieve the recognition it deserves.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Yeah, I saw that. Makes me think it's either a port or a casual franchise like Tomodachi/Style Savvy.
Since the game is supposedly releasing so soon, I think it'll be a digital-only title (which is unfortunate, because i'm dying for a Tomodachi game on the Switch; and based on Tomodachi Life's sales on the 3DS, they would never make that an eShop exclusive).

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Me too, but apparently now Star Allies is the best selling Kirby game, so Nintendo might think it was great and make more like it which could be disappointing.

I think the success of Star Allies is largely down to its release date, both in terms of being early in the Switch lifecycle and being in a very quiet window. I mean, mathematically speaking you'd think Kirby on the Wii would be the best selling entry, but that released some 5(?) years after the console... so I imagine it got lost amongst all the other games, and shovel ware that were running rampant at that time.

I bought Star Allies, largely because I'm a Kirby franchise fan, but also because there wasn't a lot else at that time. I'm pretty sure Nintendo will be looking at the critical reception as well as the sales though... sales suggest they should make a new Kirby. Critical reception suggests it needs to be a better game next time!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I think the success of Star Allies is largely down to its release date, both in terms of being early in the Switch lifecycle and being in a very quiet window. I mean, mathematically speaking you'd think Kirby on the Wii would be the best selling entry, but that released some 5(?) years after the console... so I imagine it got lost amongst all the other games, and shovel ware that were running rampant at that time.

I bought Star Allies, largely because I'm a Kirby franchise fan, but also because there wasn't a lot else at that time. I'm pretty sure Nintendo will be looking at the critical reception as well as the sales though... sales suggest they should make a new Kirby. Critical reception suggests it needs to be a better game next time!
HAL will continue making Kirby games no matter what, so I don't think sales the impact the series' future (unless they HEAVILY decline). We can only hope that the next instalment takes more cues from Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot than from Star Allies; though I do want Co-op and the Helper system to stay (Super Star is my favourite Kirby game). They could dial it back to two-player Co-op though if it lets them design more unique levels (again, like the 3DS games).

Jan 2, 2018
After the tepid sales of Sushi Striker Nintendo could think it would be better for those games to be eShop only. A game of this scope could probably release in the end of February?

Edit: Snipperclips was also eShop exclusive until it became a success and got a retail release with bonus content.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK

I've been thinking about this for a while, so I have a few musings...

Anniversary
- 2019 is the 25th Anniversary of Donkey Kong Country.
- Donkey Kong as a character is 38 years old, so will turn 40 in 2021.

So, they could be doing something to mark the DKC anniversary... but, they could also wait for the big 40. Or indeed do something for both of course...

Retro Studios
- We know they've been working on something since Tropical Freeze in 2014
- Common theory is that a project got cancelled in or around 2016
- Common theory is that they have been working on a new project since 2016
- Speculation that they may have something ready for 2019 (announcement seems very likely, actual release is possible)
- Rumour that they are working on a game within the Star Fox franchise called Star Fox GP.

So what do I think could happen? Who knows, but I do have a wishlist...

2019 - A third all new entry in the 2D DKC Returns series to mark the 25th anniversary. Capacity-wise, the theory would be that they've been working on the new DK since 2016 and actually they never cancelled a project at the studio. Their other project has just been taking a really long time. Star Fox GP is a title that could create a few headaches in development, if the rumours we've heard are true. Another part of this theory is that when they moved resources back onto Tropical Freeze to add the "easy mode", they decided to be more efficient with their time and had a new Returns game in development at that time too. (You know... because Retro are super efficient with their time... errr, well OK... hey it's possible still!)
2020 - Probably nothing this year... but a port of Donkey Kong Country Returns to complete a trilogy on Switch would be a bonus.
2021 - The big 40 for Donkey Kong will definitely be marked with something. I'd love to see a new 3D Donkey Kong game release late in 2021... but I'm not sure Retro have anywhere near the capacity to deliver it! If a new 2D Returns hasn't happened, then it's possible they have a team already on a 3D DK... it's also plausible that a new Returns game is already done and waiting for a suitable release window, which means they could be on a 3D game already too.

Anyway, I expect we will see something in 2019 and 2021 to mark those anniversaries. I'm hoping it's new games, but it could be other things too of course.

Last edited:

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know people read this topic. So I'm guessing people from Retro Studios are reading this too. I'm going to be super pissed off at you guys (Nintendo mainly) if you don't reveal a game this year!

5 years guys. 5 years. You're one of the best studios in the world and held high by many people. This is crazy that we go 5 years and not even see something. You guys create amazing games and some of the best games I've ever played.

It's hard because we're waiting and waiting and waiting to see what's the next greatness you guys produce. Idc if it's Starfox GP or DK or a new IP or whatever it may be- I just want to see something.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I really hope Retro doesn't do a 2D DK. I want them to do a 3D DK before they do a 2D DK game again

I don't really mind the order, I certainly want both on Switch in the future though. Of course, there's every possibility Retro are not given 3D Donkey Kong too... it's something Nintendo EPD could deliver themselves in 2021, for the 40th anniversary.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I think all the rumours around Star Fox GP are quite reliable, so the chances it will be announced (and potentially released) this year are very high. The real question is: did it take five years to develop? I'm more inclined to think either they had to cancel a project (like someone rumoured in the past) or they're developing another game in the meantime, with higher or lower priority depending on which game they will release at first. Another case is they started to develop a game, but they understood it would take too time, so in the meantime they got the task to develop Star Fox GP and put the other one in pause.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really mind the order, I certainly want both on Switch in the future though. Of course, there's every possibility Retro are not given 3D Donkey Kong too... it's something Nintendo EPD could deliver themselves in 2021, for the 40th anniversary.
I just want another 3D platformers from Nintendo. We get a lot of 2D platformers and only Mario gets a 3D version now. I'd love to see DK getting 3D games.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Me in 2018:

Me in 2019:

Me in 2020:

Hahaha indeed.

It makes me nervous that Platinum Games got a shoutout on here by Emily ("one company worth keeping an eye on in 2019 is PlatinumGames") and then also a hint that there is a game besides Bayonetta 3, yet Retro Studios remains in absolute radio silence.

You'd think something that specifically mentions the year 2019 would have been hinted at by now... although, it's safe to assume they'd be an E3 announcement(?) so maybe it's still a little too early... March time is about right for "they'll be at E3" kinda teases.

They're gonna be there though, right? I mean... surely? We can't go into 2020 with nothing still?! !!

Status
Not open for further replies.