• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The lack of a Direct and very little else to talk about in the first party department is making us many of go a bit stir crazy. That's definitely it. Nintendo hasn't dated anything past next month and we've gotten very little info/footage of their 2019 games. I can absolutely see why people are getting impatient/annoyed. Even for Nintendo, this is a bit ridiculous.
Yeah. The big thing is even for Nintendo this is in a stratosphere they rarely enter into. This is the wrath of Furukawa wanting to delay stuff I guess.

Nintendo of America's Twitter seems to promote Dragalia Lost more than ever this past week, and old stuff. It's like they got nothing new talk about and rehashing the same stuff.

Jan 11, 2018
Don't forget the Ubisoft Montreal is a main North American hub and not just a game developer so the 3,500 number includes business analysts, marketers, clerical, admin, testers, etc. This applies to a lot of the other big developers as well.

Nintendo doesn't have an exact number listed for R&D: but their Kyoto facility is supposed to house 1200+ game developers / software engineers / hardware engineers / network engineers. Their Tokyo facility much less, maybe around a 150.

The thing about Japan, is they have tons of small outsource facilities located in close proximities, and that's how most AAA/AA game development is handled even if the main staff seems miniscule compared to Western outfits.

Yeah, makes sense. Still, Nintendo seems to be able to do a lot more with a lot less.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Yeah. The big thing is even for Nintendo this is in a stratosphere they rarely enter into. This is the wrath of Furukawa wanting to delay stuff I guess.

Nintendo of America's Twitter seems to promote Dragalia Lost more than ever this past week, and old stuff. It's like they got nothing new talk about and rehashing the same stuff.

Yeah, guess the social media channels have to stay active in these times of not much going on. They can only do so much, though.

Emily and Zhuge seem confident that new announcements are coming this month, so I very much have faith that they're correct.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Your post was confusing since he asked "do you think we'll see a glimpse of it this year?"

And you said "no" as your initial response.
He didn't specify "this year", and, since everyone is talking about a possible Direct, I just assumed he was asking if we would see Monolith's new game in the next Direct.

Plz let's just talk about games I hate it when conversations have to go on like this

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He didn't specify "this year", and, since everyone is talking about a possible Direct, I just assumed he was asking if we would see Monolith's new game in the next Direct.

Plz let's just talk about games I hate it when conversations have to go on like this
Nothings really going on lol. It was a few responses and confusion.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo games releasing in fall are usually teased before E3. I can't remember any Nintendo Switch era game being revealed at E3 and releasing five months later.

I think that's because they've been forced to drum up hype after the abysmal Wii U end/drought. For instance I fully expect something like SF:GrandPrix to reveal and release within half a year.

Edit: I also wouldn't be surprised if something like Animal Crossing drops before E3. Would a game like that even benefit from E3? It doesn't demo that well, so my guess is no.

Last edited:

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
I think that's because they've been forced to drum up hype after the abysmal Wii U end/drought. For instance I fully expect something like SF:GrandPrix to reveal and release within half a year.

Edit: I also wouldn't be surprised if something like Animal Crossing drops before E3. Would a game like that even benefit from E3? It doesn't demo that well, so my guess is no.
Yeah, I don't see them playing Animal Crossing on the Threehouse for hours either. Those E3 shows usually need some other kind of games.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
This E3, I don't think Nintendo has that game to base a whole year around. Pokemon is a turn based RPG, Animal Crossing is not the kind of game that demos well, Star Fox, this alleged classic Zelda game, and Luigi's Mansion are going to be big, but they're not the juggernauts you base an E3 around, like 3D Zelda, 3D Mario and Smash are. I think they're going back to a much more varied format this year.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
They literally spent 30 minute periods running around and cooking things in Zelda. They'll demo AC.

Also: they've done Treehouse demos of Pokémon repeatedly now.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They literally spent 30 minute periods running around and cooking things in Zelda. They'll demo AC.

Also: they've done livestream demos of Pokémon repeatedly now.
Of course they're going to demo it. It's not going to be the focal point. Same with Pokémon. They do one Steam the first day of Treehouse and that's it from what I remember of Pokémon.

Botw, Smash and Odyssey were being streamed from Treehouse all 3 days. This year will be different. Animal Crossing doesn't demo well. It will definitely get some segments because it is a huge title though.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Of course they're going to demo it. It's not going to be the focal point. Same with Pokémon. They do one Steam the first day of Treehouse and that's it.

Botw, Smash and Odyssey were being streamed from Treehouse all 3 days. This year will be different. Animal Crossing doesn't demo well. It will definitely get some segments because it is a huge title though.
I don't think they'll do 24/7 AC, but Nintendo does not care whether the game demo wells. A title card had people foaming at the lips. They're milking this. Like I said, some of those BotW streams were the most mundane things ever.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
This E3, I don't think Nintendo has that game to base a whole year around. Pokemon is a turn based RPG, Animal Crossing is not the kind of game that demos well, Star Fox, this alleged classic Zelda game, and Luigi's Mansion are going to be big, but they're not the juggernauts you base an E3 around, like 3D Zelda, 3D Mario and Smash are. I think they're going back to a much more varied format this year.
Yeah, i've seen the idea of E3 sharing the spotlight this year thrown around in this thread before, and it'll probably be the case. I've said it before, but I think that Star Fox, Luigi's Mansion, 2D Zelda and Pokemon will be pushed together at E3 (with decently long segments in the Direct and a lot of show floor space) instead of the focus being on a single game.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I don't think Retro Studios taking over development of Metroid Prime 4 is necessarily a sign of "things were going well", but rather let's take the opportunity to get Retro back on track with the franchise they have the most experience with.

Pretty much. Nintendo giving Retro a beloved series when it was on fire was how Nintendo ended up buying them. So it isn't out there to believe that they were handed back Prime to get their act together after the development for Prime 4 fall apart.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
No. Monolith's game is 100% not releasing this year, it's the kind of game announcement that fits perfectly E3 since it's something brand new that screams "Hey, look forward to 2020's lineup".

Not necessarily. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 came out two years and a half years after Xenoblade Chronicles X. So late 2019 or early 2020 is very possible if they keep using the same engine.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Let's Go was already a big part of the E3 booth last year. A full new gen could be the main game, especially since Pokémon's presence at E3 only seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Not necessarily. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 came out two years and a half years after Xenoblade Chronicles X. So late 2019 or early 2020 is very possible if they keep using the same engine.
Monolith's new IP seems to be a bit more experimental for them (with it seemingly featuring more action elements, based on job listings) so I wouldn't be surprised if it spends more time in the oven than Xenoblade 2 did.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
1. Development began in mid 2014
2. The game needed much more time for polish it didn't get
3. A new IP takes much more time than a sequel to an existing franchise. All new resources, gameplay mechanics need to be created and tested from scratch, brand new gameplay and story structure, attempting something the studio has never done before. All this stuff takes time

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expect Luigi's Mansion 3, Star Fox GP,
2D Zelda, Animal Crossing, Pokemon and something from Platinum Games to get about equal segments. Of course you'll have other third party games and smaller titles getting a segment here and there.

Treehouse is going to be so much better than last year. Last year was Smash Smash Smash Smash. I love Smash, but it was so much because they really had nothing else.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This is a thread about first party games and directs are 95 percent of the way we get info on them

The other 5 percent being twitter, interviews and leaks

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could you point me towards the post saying that? I completely believe you, but amidst people growing more impatient for a Direct (which I see why), I never actually saw it!
If you need Switch rumor stuff you'll usually find it in this topic. I "watched" the thread. It's good for reference.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/switch-rumor-archive-rebirth-read-posting-rules-in-op.90045/

Here's the two sources

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...new-year-new-mii.90098/page-228#post-17184921

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...new-year-new-mii.90098/page-156#post-16924032

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think we can pretend to know how big the new 2D Zelda or Star Fox games are without really knowing anything about them.

For all we know Star Fox will be by far the biggest budget game Retro has ever had and Nintendo's best selling game (not named Pokemon) of the year. And maybe this new 2D Zelda will be revolutionary in the same vein as the 2D BotW demo they showed at GDC (or wherever that was).

These titles have a lot of potential.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we can pretend to know how big the new 2D Zelda or Star Fox games are without really knowing anything about them.

For all we know Star Fox will be by far the biggest budget game Retro has ever had and Nintendo's best selling game (not named Pokemon) of the year. And maybe this new 2D Zelda will be revolutionary in the same vein as the 2D BotW demo they showed at GDC (or wherever that was).

These titles have a lot of potential.

This is a good point. Not one I thought of is "will they try to revolutionize 2D Zelda too?" Could they go an a big scale for this game too or play it more safe. I'm not sure. I'd lean to more safe than trying to change many conventions.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Let's talk Nintendo First Party music.

Which IP will have the best Soundtrack in 2019?

I'm going with Either Fire Emblem or 2D Zelda. Link Between Worlds was fantastic. They did a real good job with the remixes.

Fire Emblem has had Better music with each subsequent 3DS release.

Luigi's Mansion 3. I didn't really like Dark Moons soundtrack. Felt lacking compared to the original. Hopefully it's better.

Pokémon Gen 8. I really don't know what to expect. It varies, I loved ORAS's soundtrack but found X/Y's forgettable. Sun and Moon I can't say since I didn't play it past a few hours. Let's go was great but another remake there. Couldn't really mess it up.

That's all for now. I've been listening to Octopath/Xenoblade Music on this rainy day and thought about the exciting new music Nintendo games will have.

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
1. Development began in mid 2014
2. The game needed much more time for polish it didn't get
3. A new IP takes much more time than a sequel to an existing franchise. All new resources, gameplay mechanics need to be created and tested from scratch, brand new gameplay and story structure, attempting something the studio has never done before. All this stuff takes time

Xenoblade 2 is quite different than Xenoblade Chronicles X. It's like comparing Final Fantasy. And while Xenoblade 2 needed more polish, it was still playable and for the most part stable.

That and you can make a difference IP off the same engine. The reason why Xenoblade Chronicles X took so long was mostly the engine along with it being Monolith's first HD game.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good point. Not one I thought of is "will they try to revolutionize 2D Zelda too?" Could they go an a big scale for this game too or play it more safe. I'm not sure. I'd lean to more safe than trying to change many conventions.

I'm probably gonna get a lot of disagreements for this but I'd be curious to see a 2D Zelda game that implemented some sort of rogue-like mechanics. I can't think of any Nintendo games that can be considered rogue-likes so I'd be really interested to see their take on it.

Maybe not a full rogue-like Zelda game but maybe one bonus dungeon having randomized elements?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

Which IP will have the best Soundtrack?
Out of the upcoming games this year? Probably Fire Emblem or 2D Zelda. Maybe Platinum's mystery game; because i'm sure it'll have a good soundtrack no matter what the game is. Star Fox could also have a great soundtrack, but who knows.

Animal Crossing always has great relaxing music that fits the mood of that series, but that isn't what most people look for when talking about the best soundtracks.

Pokemon could be good, but it's hard to say. Luigi's Mansion probably won't be amazing, but i'm sure it'll have one or two great tracks.

If Paper Mario somehow squeezes into this year, that'll be up there for sure.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

Which IP will have the best Soundtrack?

I'm going with Either Fire Emblem or 2D Zelda. Link Between Worlds was fantastic. They did a real good job with the remixes.

Fire Emblem has had Better music with each subsequent 3DS release.

Luigi's Mansion 3. I didn't really like Dark Moons soundtrack. Felt lacking compared to the original. Hopefully it's better.

Pokémon Gen 8. I really don't know what to expect. It varies, I loved ORAS's soundtrack but found X/Y's forgettable. Sun and Moon I can't say since I didn't play it past a few hours. Let's go was great but another remake there. Couldn't really mess it up.

That's all for now. I've been listening to Octopath/Xenoblade Music on this rainy day and thought about the exciting new music Nintendo games will have.
Can't decide the top between Zelda, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Retro Studios taking over development of Metroid Prime 4 is necessarily a sign of "things were going well", but rather let's take the opportunity to get Retro back on track with the franchise they have the most experience with.

No offense but I just can't see this take being true. They're a decade removed from the Metroid franchise, with several leads from the time gone. I'm not saying they don't have any of the previous talent, just that they aren't "the Metroid Prime devs" anymore. The genre they have the most experience with would be platformer with the recent DK games. Theres the potential that whatever they were working on is somehow being retooled for this game, but I'd be surprised with that as well.

In addition, what company in their right mind would take a failing piece of software and hand it to a team that's failed to produce anything great for 5 years? On top of that, they've not only raised expectations for the game publicly via their PR apology ("We believe we can make this game something that will meet our fans' expectations "), but they also advertise requiring AAA experience on their recent job listings? It's a recipe for stress, anxiety and crunch if Retro isn't already a very high functioning team.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm probably gonna get a lot of disagreements for this but I'd be curious to see a 2D Zelda game that implemented some sort of rogue-like mechanics. I can't think of any Nintendo games that can be considered rogue-likes so I'd be really interested to see their take on it.

Maybe not a full rogue-like Zelda game but maybe one bonus dungeon having randomized elements?

I've had this idea for a 2D Zelda multiplayer mode inspired by Colosso from Golden Sun where you have up to four players go through randomized dungeons that all end up at an arena and players get to choose power ups or weapons based on the order they arrive and it ends in a free-for-all fight.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I've had this idea for a 2D Zelda multiplayer mode inspired by Colosso from Golden Sun where you have up to four players go through randomized dungeons that all end up at an arena and players get to choose power ups or weapons based on the order they arrive and it ends in a free-for-all fight.

That actually sounds pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.