• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
Let's talk Nintendo First Party music.

Which IP will have the best Soundtrack in 2019?

I'm going with Either Fire Emblem or 2D Zelda. Link Between Worlds was fantastic. They did a real good job with the remixes.

Fire Emblem has had Better music with each subsequent 3DS release.

Luigi's Mansion 3. I didn't really like Dark Moons soundtrack. Felt lacking compared to the original. Hopefully it's better.

Pokémon Gen 8. I really don't know what to expect. It varies, I loved ORAS's soundtrack but found X/Y's forgettable. Sun and Moon I can't say since I didn't play it past a few hours. Let's go was great but another remake there. Couldn't really mess it up.

That's all for now. I've been listening to Octopath/Xenoblade Music on this rainy day and thought about the exciting new music Nintendo games will have.

The previous Pokemon and Animal Crossing games feature my favorite video game music of all time so I have no reason to believe this year's games will be any different.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I'm probably gonna get a lot of disagreements for this but I'd be curious to see a 2D Zelda game that implemented some sort of rogue-like mechanics. I can't think of any Nintendo games that can be considered rogue-likes so I'd be really interested to see their take on it.

Maybe not a full rogue-like Zelda game but maybe one bonus dungeon having randomized elements?

I wouldn't be surprised if 2D Zelda was quite experimental this time.

I'd love to see something unique from a gameplay perspective for the series, like the way in ALBW. Or them implementing the calls for female Link/playable Zelda and letting that happen.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Xenoblade 2 is quite different than Xenoblade Chronicles X. It's like comparing Final Fantasy. And while Xenoblade 2 needed more polish, it was still playable and for the most part stable.

That and you can make a difference IP off the same engine. The reason why Xenoblade Chronicles X took so long was mostly the engine along with it being Monolith's first HD game.
Oh I agree with the first point absolutely. That's what I'm liking about Monolith Soft and how its treating its franchise. It's familiar, yet brand new. The fact that Takahashi wants to make the next installment even more different than what's already present within the 3 entries is fantastic.
What Xenoblade 2 needed was a little more time to tighten up the technical aspects. Low resolution, occasion framerate dip, much more occasional in the Gormott field it gets pretty chuggy there. Some low LOD, textures get blurry pretty close up.
And of course some of the overall experience needed some fine tuning. They need to hire a better/more sound mixers/designers for their cutscenes because many feel like they're missing environmental elements (ambience, reverb for the voice acting, etc) or critical actions that happen on screen which don't have an accompanying sound effect. QOL fixes through player testing feedback like the updates they eventually made, and more Localization time to record lines because some seriously could use another better take.

Having a functional engine is always good too. Though I expect some technological updates in the next round of MS games by both teams

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably gonna get a lot of disagreements for this but I'd be curious to see a 2D Zelda game that implemented some sort of rogue-like mechanics. I can't think of any Nintendo games that can be considered rogue-likes so I'd be really interested to see their take on it.

Maybe not a full rogue-like Zelda game but maybe one bonus dungeon having randomized elements?
I wouldn't mind a bonus dungeon only because I don't like rogue stuff at all. I don't play rogue games. They have zero appeal to me. If it's kept to one mission or an extra then that's fine or some multiplayer thing would be fine too.

Nov 3, 2017
Wow, having a roguelike element in the next 2D Zelda is a brilliant idea! I think it would be interesting if it was a separate location like a revamped version of the Temple of the Ocean King from Phantom Hourglass

slashf

Oct 28, 2017
Grezzo os making some Port, maybe its the skyward Sword pra the others Zelda from the wiiu era

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
If you can't be sussed to do something as simple as watching a thread, you're part of the problem.

...It's not about one person. Obviously, I do, since I've posted in it when conversation was redirected there.

It's about the fact that the general populace visits the main pages for Video Games / EtcEra, but not their respective Hangouts, because all that's in Hangouts are long-term OTs — never fresh threads. Therefore, discussion in OTs relegated to Hangouts will necessarily receive much less engagement, because only people who've pre-watched a thread will participate.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm anxious to learn more about the five or more unannounced projects. I wonder if Nintendo will announce multiple 2020 games this year.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it is this week cuz I really want to buy some Switch games but I'm saving my money in case a potential Direct has some other good games...

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
I'm anxious to learn more about the five or more unannounced projects. I wonder if Nintendo will announce multiple 2020 games this year.
I'll give you a pretty good educated guess based on info from King Zell and Emily:

1. 2D Zelda which we already know exists from King Zell
2. MPT which we already know exists from...well everybody
3. Retro Studios has been rumored to release their game for 2019 pretty much since the big leak + the Metroid announcement doubles this fact (SFGP?)
4. A Wii U game which Emily made mention of being one of the 5
5. Tiny Eshop game which Emily has reiterated multiple times existing and coming

Of course to reiterate, Emily said 5 at the minimum so more is always a possibility

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll give you a pretty good educated guess based on info from King Zell and Emily:

1. 2D Zelda which we already know exists from King Zell
2. MPT which we already know exists from...well everybody
3. Retro Studios has been rumored to release their game for 2019 pretty much since the big leak + the Metroid announcement doubles this fact (SFGP?)
4. A Wii U game which Emily made mention of being one of the 5
5. Tiny Eshop game which Emily has reiterated multiple times existing and coming

Of course to reiterate, Emily said 5 at the minimum so more is always a possibility
Emily also mentioned to look out for Platinum Games. One of those could be Kamiya's new game.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Some small tidbits from the new Spawncast:

-They all seem to agree that there was a January Direct and that it was scrapped, Nate even said some of the announcements he had heard were going to be made in it were announced on Twitter instead.
Metroid had nothing to do with it, apparently.
-Dreamcastguy corroborated and said the same, he heard FFXII's date was going to be announced in the Direct itself.
-Jordan Fringe says there will be new Crash Team Racing footage on Monday.
-Playeressance says he's heard things about Joker in Smash, says he sounds "dope".

Apologies if I missed or got something wrong.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

-They all seem to agree that there was a January Direct and that it was scrapped, Nate even said some of the announcements he had heard were going to be made in it were announced on Twitter instead.
-Dreamcastguy corroborated and said the same, he heard FFXII's date was going to be announced in the Direct itself.
-Playeressance says he's heard things about Joker in Smash, says he sounds "dope".

That's very interesting; especially the first point, since that seems to go against some of Nate's posts in this very thread (if I remember correctly, he has argued against the idea of a January Direct being cancelled before). Might be mixing that up with someone or something else though.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Interesting. I wonder why the January Direct was scrapped if Metroid had nothing to do with it. I'm guessing that the Yoshi date was another intended Direct annoucement. Are the people on Spawncast known to be reliable?

Edit: Also, Crash Team Racing "footage" is actually a pretty safe bet. Beenox's (CTR dev) Twitter has been constantly uploading screenshots of the game. They could always just drop another screenshot on Twitter, and that would technically be footage.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Interesting. I wonder why the January Direct was scrapped if Metroid had nothing to do with it. I'm guessing that the Yoshi date was another intended Direct annoucement. Are the people on Spawncast known to be reliable?

Edit: Also, Crash Team Racing "footage" is actually a pretty safe bet. Beenox's (CTR dev) Twitter has been constantly uploading screenshots of the game. They could always just drop another screenshot on Twitter, and that would technically be footage.

Yeah, John, Dreamcastguy, Jordan, and PE all have their connections throughout the industry. They don't BS and I can vouch for them on that. Been watching all of them for years.

And no, Jordan is an Activision brand ambassador, he was pretty clear about it being new footage. He was given gameplay of Reignited Trilogy by Activsion to upload on his channel, same deal here.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yeah, John, Dreamcastguy, Jordan, and PE all have their connections throughout the industry. They don't BS and I can vouch for them on that. Been watching all of them for years.

And no, Jordan is an Activision brand ambassador, he was pretty clear about it being new footage. He was given gameplay of Reignited Trilogy by Activsion to upload on his channel, same deal here.
Ahhh, so they're doing a CTR press preview or something? That would make sense. I hope Activision snagged some CTR speedrunners to vouch for whether Beenox has recaptured the feel of CTR or not if the CTR footage is from a preview.

Edit: If Dreamcastguy is legit, that means that Square Enix is considering KH3 and older KH games for Switch. Neat!

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Ahhh, so they're doing a CTR press preview or something? That would make sense. I hope Activision snagged some CTR speedrunners to vouch for whether Beenox has recaptured the feel of CTR or not if the CTR footage is from a preview.

He didn't say, but it's likely. Only footage we have is from the trailer from two months ago, so it's about time to show some raw gameplay.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
People predicting safe dates for the Nintendo Direct made Nintendo move it to a later date just to eff everyone up.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019

I believe Jordan Has said in the past that the Spyro Trilogy will coming to switch sometime this year.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Indeed. Five is the floor (minimum) -- not the ceiling. The ceiling could be as high as 11 or 12.

It's difficult to give an exact number because any game can be pushed back to 2020 for marketing/scheduling reasons.

Let me try to explain this better.

The "Most likely" Nintendo-published game announcements for 2019. (70% chance or higher)

1. Mystery game #1
2. Mystery game #2
3. Mystery game #3
4. Mystery game #4
5. eShop game #1
6. Mystery Wii U port #1 (2013 title)
7. eShop game #2
8. eShop game #3
9. New Labo Kit

The "Maybe" games for 2019. (The wild card titles - 50% chance or less)

10. Retro Studios secret game (this is assuming it wasn't canned)
11. Metroid Prime Trilogy (assuming Zell's info and Imran's info are correct)
12. Mystery Wii U port #2

Final Update: February 8th, 2019

I am adding eShop game #3 to the list. This is shaping up to be a big year for eShop digital releases.

Last edited:

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Indeed. Five is the floor (minimum) -- not the ceiling. The ceiling could be as high as 11 or 12.

It's difficult to give an exact number because any game can be pushed back to 2020 for marketing/scheduling reasons.

The "Most likely" game announcements for 2019. (70% chance or higher)

1. Mystery game #1
2. Mystery game #2
3. Mystery game #3
4. Mystery game #4
5. Mystery game #5
7. eShop game (Safe to expect at least one)
8. New Labo Kit

The "Maybe" games for 2019. (The wild card titles)

9. Retro Studios secret game (this is assuming it wasn't canned)
10. Metroid Prime Trilogy (assuming Zell's info and Imran's info are correct)
11. Mystery Wii U port #2
Just wanted to say, I appreciate you being around. Thank you for being you

That's really exciting stuff! Even if some games get delayed into 2020, that's more than okay because 2019 is looking pretty good ignoring middle Q1. Plus the fact that your list is completely leaving out non Nintendo published 3rd party exclusives and third party multiplats, the Switch library is about to kick into high gear.
With some possible 2020 games already like maybe Monolith Soft's new IP, a maybe new 3D Zelda game (if that's what King Zell was referring to with the BotW thing), and other stuff as well... hoo boy

Last edited:

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

1. Mystery game #1
2. Mystery game #2
3. Mystery game #3
4. Mystery game #4
5. Mystery game #5
8. New Labo Kit

Possibly eight major unannounced games for 2019? Nintendo is going to have to start doing two major releases in some months if that's true. Nintendo already has Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Daemon X Machina, DQXI S, Pokemon 2019, and Luigi's Mansion 3 as major releases for 2019.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The ceiling could be as high as 11 or 12.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017

1. Mystery game #1
2. Mystery game #2
3. Mystery game #3
4. Mystery game #4
5. Mystery game #5
8. New Labo Kit

Thanks Emily, as always. So there are at least two Wii U ports are being produced. Hopefully one of them is Wonderful 101.
Possibly eight major unannounced games for 2019? Nintendo is going to have to start doing two major releases in some months if that's true. Nintendo already has Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Daemon X Machina, DQXI S, Pokemon 2019, and Luigi's Mansion 3 as major releases for 2019.
They can always push back unannounced titles (or even announced ones except Animal Crossing and Pokemon) though. I would be conservative and guess half of that most likely list will be announced and released in 2019.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Thanks Emily, as always. So there are at least two Wii U ports are being produced. Hopefully one of them is Wonderful 101.
Looking at the 2013 Wii U releases, Wonderful 101 is a top contender for being the Wii U port. What else could they release? Super Mario 3D World? Perhaps, but I'd say its chances are worse than W101's since the Switch already has a 3D Mario game. Sonic Lost World? Lol, fat chance.

Plum

May 31, 2018

1. Mystery game #1
2. Mystery game #2
3. Mystery game #3
4. Mystery game #4
5. Mystery game #5
8. New Labo Kit

I don't really want to get my hopes up too much but, damn, this looks like it's gonna be a really good year. Thanks for the info!

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the 2013 Wii U releases, Wonderful 101 is a top contender for being the Wii U port. What else could they release? Super Mario 3D World? Perhaps, but I'd say its chances are worse than W101's since the Switch already has a 3D Mario game. Sonic Lost World? Lol, fat chance.
Was Wind Waker HD 2013? I really don't remember, but personally I'm leaning towards W101.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, 3D World does not seem to have a good chance. I say (want) Tokyo Mirage Sessions. SMTV will miss 2019 so they will port it instead. Other than that... I think chance for Pikmin 3 is also low as I am sure 4 is coming.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
2013 wii u game?

...pikmin or w101 is all I got

edit:
oh I guess WWHD and 3D World count.

I just think Odyssey 2 is the next 3D Mario projcet. Dunno about WWHD.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Emily for the clarification!

2013 WiiU port:

Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World, Windwaker HD, and Pikmin 3 seem like the strongest candidates. But Game & Wario, Wii Fit U, Wii Sports Club, and Wii Party U also released that year.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

1. Mystery game #1
2. Mystery game #2
3. Mystery game #3
4. Mystery game #4
5. Mystery game #5
8. New Labo Kit

Please don't toy with me.

Earthbound on Wii U was clearly the standout 2013 release.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
(Come on guys, it's 99% 3D World. If you're getting a 2D Zelda this year, they won't release Wind Waker to go head to head with it. And Odyssey 2 is more suited for Christmas 2020, so 3D World would fit neatly in Winter 2019)

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, 3D World does not seem to have a good chance. I say (want) Tokyo Mirage Sessions. SMTV will miss 2019 so they will port it instead. Other than that... I think chance for Pikmin 3 is also low as I am sure 4 is coming.

I actually feel like 3D World is the best fit for Switch. It (obviously) has huge selling potential and sports co-op play that can easily transition to being played with split joy-cons.

But having Odyssey, NSMBU deluxe, and 3D World on one console with a future Mario Maker hanging in the balance seems like over saturation, even for the Mario series.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
I wonder if Nintendo will publish Shinen's game or if they will stay independent/separate. Maybe at the very least they could distribute a physical version ala Travis Strikes Again. I mean, they did for Fast Racing Neo on Wii U

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

1. Mystery game #1
2. Mystery game #2
3. Mystery game #3
4. Mystery game #4
5. Mystery game #5
8. New Labo Kit

thanks emily!

2013 title?! D: oh god please be the wonderful 101 and not pikmin 3 or sm3dworld

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
When considering what Emily is saying, it's also worth noting her and others (Imran, I believe) have previously cited Nintendo's habitual software-sitting, in that they sometimes have finished projects then schedule into release windows months later despite the games in theory being ready for now. It might seem like a waste of resources to sit on playable software, but it's just how Nintendo work.

Metroid Prime Trilogy is the best rumoured example of this. It's been cited by decent-to-highly reliable leakers for a long time now as at bare minimum in development. A couple have stated it's technically finished, and was supposed to be announced by now. We can assume Nintendo's logic was to release Prime Trilogy as precursor (eg: 12 months beforehand) to Prime 4. We can also assume a delayed announcement is consequence of Prime 4 being cancelled and rebooted.

And thus, if we take the rumours at face value, Nintendo is sitting on a finished port of Metroid Prime Trilogy, but nobody is quite sure as to when it will release. And even though it's finished, Nintendo might delay the release to coincide with the delay for Metroid Prime 4.

I think that ties into Emily stating while she's heard about projects pencilled or assumed for 2019, it's entirely possible some will be delayed for numerous reasons, some of those reasons sometimes just being choosing a new launch window even if it's technically finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.