• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd still advise people to look at fiscal years rather than strict Jan-Dec. Nintendo likes to juggle around dates and they've got a lot of meaty stuff on the horizon. I don't think it's a coincidence Feb/March is looking pretty dry and happen to be the last two months of the fiscal year.

Wave #3 of their release line-up will be April 2019 to March 2020. They'll be focusing on software for that period to draw big numbers for the next fiscal year.

True but I think most people have resigned to the fact that Jan-Mar is another soft quarter for Nintendo (at least as far as enthusiasts are concerned). The problem is more that we're less than two months away from the beginning of "wave #3" and there's very little to hold onto. The only game we've seen more than a debut trailer of is Daemon X Machina and I guess Dragon Quest Builders 2. I am not particularly worried or anything but it's clear why people are getting a little bit antsy.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, we just got our asylum.

Just joking. I have been itching to talk about possible third party titles that could appear in a direct, but this thread is not the right place for such discussion. Very happy to have a dedicated direct thread.
I mean that direct speculation topic will be better than this topic since it covers all topics for a direct. And a direct covers third party games like you said.

mera

Oct 2, 2018
playing my switch
One point I'd like to address: while there will be ultimately some kind of overlap between 1st party discussions and Direct discussions, I imagine the Direct thread would be more focused on speculation, possible leaks and rumors than this one. It would basically be a thread to contain "all the madness" in one place to keep this thread more level-headed and on-topic.

We've discussed to have a dedicated thread after Moon's suggestion yesterday and came to the conclusion that this might work for the best going forward. So: if anybody is interested to make that thread, they are officially allowed to do so.

Only thing I'd like to ask for is that the OP keeps the opening post updated and tries to keep up with the discussion/speculation.

It would stay in the main Gaming forum just like this thread
sounds like a great idea :) and if people are off-topic we can just 'direct' them there

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
True but I think most people have resigned to the fact that Jan-Mar is another soft quarter for Nintendo (at least as far as enthusiasts are concerned). The problem is more that we're less than two months away from the beginning of "wave #3" and there's very little to hold onto. The only game we've seen more than a debut trailer of is Daemon X Machina and I guess Dragon Quest Builders 2. I am not particularly worried or anything but it's clear why people are getting a little bit antsy.

Oh don't get me wrong, I understand why people are antsy...because I am haha. This is also an unusually long gap between major Directs. I can just see why Nintendo is doing this and, as antsy as we may be, there's still almost an entire two months until that next fiscal year starts. Unfortunately. So really, as desperate as I might be for more information now, Nintendo could technically hold off until the first week or two of March to blow FY3 wide open and nothing is really loss. I remain crabby and frustrated for a month, but the games don't come any faster whether they're announced now or a month later.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I'd still advise people to look at fiscal years rather than strict Jan-Dec. Nintendo likes to juggle around dates and they've got a lot of meaty stuff on the horizon. I don't think it's a coincidence Feb/March is looking pretty dry and happen to be the last two months of the fiscal year.

Wave #3 of their release line-up will be April 2019 to March 2020. They'll be focusing on software for that period to draw big numbers for the next fiscal year.
I don't think anyone would argue against what you're presenting. I think it's been in the back of people's minds for awhile now, but nobody wanted to admit it. Knowing the very business focused reason for why Nintendo has been quiet for so long doesn't help the situation from an enthusiast perspective though. If anything it just makes it more annoying lol

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Bingo. 20mil was a very high target, but 17mil is quite a downgrade. It's a conservative readjustment and hugely indicative of Jan/Feb/March. Nintendo will coast through until FY3 Q1 starts in April.

Which is funny, as the Switch is currently outselling the previous year in Japan by a fairly significant margin (~45%). Will be very interesting to see holds true for the rest of the world. I believe the Switch sold 2.93 million units in Jan-March 2018, and (this is incredibly speculative) if the Switch sells at even +25% YOY worldwide, they would be looking at ~3.6 million sales, for a FY2018 total of around ~18 million, handedly beating their sales target.

If, somehow, the +45% margin in Japan represents a worldwide trend that stays steady (this won't happen and is purely hypothetical), they would finish just short of their initial 20 million sales target, with final sales around ~18.75 million.

To keep this thread-relevant: NSMBUD is a beast :)

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Okay! Working on it now!

Typing up a quick blurb to indicate the purpose of the thread.

PCK

Oct 26, 2018
Welp...
That didn't last long.

What are some subtitles you think Luigi's Mansion 3 might get?

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Daemon x Machina looks cool and Yoshi will probably be reliable solid, but not surprising. Since Bayo and MP4 are nowhere in sight, this is the least amount of games I've been excited about since Switch launched so I'm really hoping we get a Direct soon with a small handful of solid games to look forward to before the holiday season. Feels more acute after the very tepid 2018.

New announcements please Nintendo senpai

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
The administrators of this website will soon be the ones to beg Nintendo for a direct.

Q1 is bad again this year, it sucks, we have to deal with it. Truth is, Nintendo doesn't need to have a direct now if they gave up on the next 2 months. They can as well have that in March.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the mods/admins here communicate about as well as the Trump administration.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It obviously was just a little misunderstanding. Seriously some of you are so highly strung right now, chill, it got reopened. You can all go to that thread now if you want to shitpost/be negative. Have fun.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It obviously was just a little misunderstanding. Seriously some of you are so highly strung right now, chill, it got reopened. You can all go to that thread now if you want to shitpost/be negative. Have fun.
Way to say those people only shitpost. Grow up. I'm tired of some of you think you're better than everyone who speculates.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering: is there any interest in having a dedicated 'Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT|' to keep this one more focused on 1st party discussions?
It would make this thread more interesting.

Also, What happens if the Direct thread is just "reset the clock" type posts and whatnot? It does get bad when people are anxiously waiting for a direct. Wouldn't it get locked and we're back to square one?

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
NDcube using the NintendoWare Bezel Engine for Super Mario Party raises a few interesting questions:
Is Nintendo looking to have its first party studios transition over to that engine for future products instead of just third parties as was originally understood? If not, what other games and first party devs are going to be utilizing this engine?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
NDcube using the NintendoWare Bezel Engine for Super Mario Party raises a few interesting questions:
Is Nintendo looking to have its first party studios transition over to that engine for future products instead of just third parties as was originally understood? If not, what other games and first party devs are going to be utilizing this engine?
Seems like a good engine for small sized games. Improving it thanks to dev contributions will also make it more attractive to third parties (mostly small studios).

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Since this is the first party thread, the teams that intrique me most are the splatoon team and alphadream, among others.

I think Splatoon 2 will be the only Splatoon game on Switch.
so part of me thinks the team will make another game on switch. Maybe a new IP, maybe a weird take on a genre/old IP.

I think something interesting is brewing from that team.

Then alphadream is interesting. Seeing how they make a HD game as currently constructed will be intersting. Since they needed help with Dream Team.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like making topics or I would've done it. I'm sure one of these other guys will make it.

Btw, has any upcoming third party games been confirmed to use it yet?

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Then alphadream is interesting. Seeing how they make a HD game as currently constructed will be intersting. Since they needed help with Dream Team.
Oh, if we can talk about studios that aren't technically first party but work almost exclusively on first party projects, this thread can be a field day.
AlphaDream, Intelligent Systems, HAL Laboratory, Grezzo, Good-Feel, Next Level Games, the list goes on.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

We're still missing quite a few details about what exactly can be done with this engine and what its intended usage is. But Super Mario Party has a nice clean look and has a fairly stable framerate so it's doing its job for that kind of game.

It seems like that tweet people sent out yesterday about them previewing Nintendo games was about Kirby's extra epic yarn. There may have been other games not mentioned yet. https://youtu.be/DV26RoTBYY4

Surely they didn't call them for this only.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, if we can talk about studios that aren't technically first party but work almost exclusively on first party projects, this thread can be a field day.
AlphaDream, Intelligent Systems, HAL Laboratory, Grezzo, Good-Feel, Next Level Games, the list goes on.
yeah, I'd want to.
Since nintendo funds and publishes franchises like m&L.
I think all those companies' output should be included.
Since the games are first party.

Status
Not open for further replies.