• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Octopath, any thoughts on a sequel or another Squenix partnership?

Asano finally got his own team and said that they plan on releasing one game a year. It sounds like they're gonna work on more Octopath Traveler and/or Bravely in the future but this year's game is supposedly something else.

I am hoping that it is Tokita's secret Switch product but it might be something mobile or web bound.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
Since this is the first party thread, the teams that intrique me most are the splatoon team and alphadream, among others.

I think Splatoon 2 will be the only Splatoon game on Switch.
so part of me thinks the team will make another game on switch. Maybe a new IP, maybe a weird take on a genre/old IP.

I think something interesting is brewing from that team.

Then alphadream is interesting. Seeing how they make a HD game as currently constructed will be intersting. Since they needed help with Dream Team.

I could also see them working on a Splatoon spin-off in a different genre.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Asano finally got his own team and said that they plan on releasing one game a year. It sounds like they're gonna work on more Octopath Traveler and/or Bravely in the future but this year's game is supposedly something else.

I am hoping that it is Tokita's secret Switch product but it might be something mobile or web bound.
Oh wow, never got that into Bravely but can't wait to see what he can do with a new/different IP

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Speaking of Octopath, any thoughts on a sequel or another Squenix partnership?
Bravely Third and/or Bravely Default 1+2 is heavily hinted many times. That's pretty much a lock. The question is when rather than if. I'm sure an Octopath Traveler sequel is probable, but most likely down the line. Plus who knows, maybe another new IP from the new studio division too

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Bravely Third and/or Bravely Default 1+2 is heavily hinted many times. That's pretty much a lock. The question is when rather than if. I'm sure an Octopath Traveler sequel is probable, but most likely down the line. Plus who knows, maybe another new IP from the new studio division too
I think Bravely Third is late next year or the year after. They probably began development sometime in the second half of last year after Octopath's success.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I would like a new 2d Wario as well, thought the Wii game was great (even though I've rather embarrassingly forgot the name of it!). Of course a new Wario should include Waluigi in some way ;)

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
It's going to be interesting to see what Good-Feel does after Crafted World (which they seem to have finished months ago). Would be nice to see them go back to the first Nintendo franchise they worked on.

A new Wario Land after all this time would be great, but I can't help but be a bit curious about what Good Feel can do other than 2D platformers. They're full of Konami refugees with experience in diverse genres. Last I checked they had the creator of Goemon, the director of NES Contra and the director of Silent Hill 2 there. Not saying 2D platformers are "beneath" them or anything, just interested in what else they could cook up.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Well, it wasn't too long ago that people were dearly missing the Ware series and were unsure if there was going to be another entry. Fans are most vocal about absent franchises. I'm sure if Advance Wars continued, we would hear a lot about how they hate it for killing FE.

I guess these "one or the other" absences are what people want rectified by hiring more staff, but it seems like additional experienced/trusted producers are needed more than larger amounts of workers or studios.

Boomasoona

Feb 3, 2019
Speaking of Wario Ware; we all know one is coming eventually to Switch. It kind of feels like Mario Party last year in the sense that it's inevitable but no one actually knows when it will come. I could easily see that being a 2020 title.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A new Wario Land after all this time would be great, but I can't help but be a bit curious about what Good Feel can do other than 2D platformers. They're full of Konami refugees with experience in diverse genres. Last I checked they had the creator of Goemon, the director of NES Contra and the director of Silent Hill 2 there. Not saying 2D platformers are "beneath" them or anything, just interested in what else they could cook up.

I took a quick look on Mobygames and it seems like most of the leads on Woolly World aren't credited for much else before joining Good-Feel and that people like Madoka Yamauchi and Koichi Yagi stepped back from on-hands development roles after Wario Land into advisor roles. But yes, I wouldn't be opposed to them trying something different either.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I know its a bit late, but I'm happy the direct speculation got its own thread. Mayne I'll be able to keep up with this thread now!

As for the Wario games.... I'd like to see a Wario World sequel. The GC game was nice, and I feel they can build upon it a lot.

Dec 31, 2018
Hey, if you guys wanted another newer first party Nintendo game, what would you want? Splatoon 3: Wars, Arms 2: Legs, or a new game with its own style similar to the previous two?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I know its a bit late, but I'm happy the direct speculation got its own thread. Mayne I'll be able to keep up with this thread now!

As for the Wario games.... I'd like to see a Wario World sequel. The GC game was nice, and I feel they can build upon it a lot.
Even though Treasure still seems somewhat alive, I doubt they'd have the resources to build that type of game again to modern standards (assuming Nintendo would even greenlight another 3D platforming game in that franchise).

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
I'd love a Wario Ware game on Switch, but my fear is that they'll gussy it up with a bunch of nonsense multiplayer mumbo jumbo like they did with the Wii version.

I would love it if they stuck to basics a la the original GBA game. No touch, no microphone, no twisting, just "mash" style mini-games.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018

Even though Treasure still seems somewhat alive, I doubt they'd have the resources to build that type of game again to modern standards (assuming Nintendo would even greenlight another 3D platforming game in that franchise).

The strange thing is that Azusa Tajima served as an assistant director on Wario World, and she also was one of the directors on Wario: Master of Disguise, Super Princess Peach and two of the GBA F-Zeros (plus Fossil Fighters and Disaster Day of Crisis.) All kind of whiffs that stalled or shelved their respective series.

BUT it's just a fun bit of info, I don't want to start some narrative. Besides, she also produced Lego City, so it's all good.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see what Good-Feel does after Yoshi, I know for some hardcore Wario Land fans, them reviving Wario Land would be a kind of monkey's paw.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
So do we know which team is doing OS programming and NSO? Im wondering how big that team is and who the lead is on that one. Its been fairly quite since NSO launched.

Oct 27, 2017
So do we know which team is doing OS programming and NSO? Im wondering how big that team is and who the lead is on that one. Its been fairly quite since NSO launched.
HAL helped with the OS. As for NSO itself, it should have been at least half-developed by DeNa. In Smash Bros credits Hatena (the guys behind Miiverse and Flipnote) and SRD (basically the programming arm of EPD) are credited for the online, but they could have been helped only on that particular game.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
I was thinking about how Nintendo seems to have a found a new, long term Western partner in Mercury Steam and it got me wondering. What other, independent Western developers could they start working with?

They're not going to be working with Headstrong Games or Monster Games anymore so replacements need to be found.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo PTD (Platform, Technology & Development) is in charge of the OS, Online, and several aspects of technology, mechanics, and infrastructure surrounding Nintendo hardware.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
I was thinking about how Nintendo seems to have a found a new, long term Western partner in Mercury Steam and it got me wondering. What other, independent Western developers could they start working with?

They're not going to be working with Headstrong Games or Monster Games anymore so replacements need to be found.

It's kinda hard to guess at them because Nintendo doesn't tend to team with storied Western devs who are broadly recognized, I assume because they feel they can exert more control on them otherwise. Even strong partners like Next Level Gameswere making stuff like Transformers: Cybertron Adventures in between their work with Nintendo before deciding to exclusively develop for them. That said they did just give their premier IP to Ubisoft so things might be slowly changing.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Playtonic and Armature are good candidates. Both studios have developers who have worked with Nintendo in the past (former Rare and Retro Studios) and make games that are good fits for the Nintendo audience.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

Actually, if Nintendo could merge with TakeTwo as a whole, they both profit a lot from each other. It's pipe dream but an amazing one:

-Rockstar studios are the best car combat devs in the world. It's time to carry F-Zero franchise to the open world realm and they're the ones should do that.
-Irrational games now absorbed into 2K Marin, they could create Metroid Prime game very close to the Retro's style.
-Out of all devs, Ken Levine is the biggest Zelda fan as he dumped his girlfriend over Ocarina of Time. I want to see what he and his newly founded studio Ghost Story to make out of 2D Zelda franchise.
-For 3D Zelda Rockstar San Diego/Red Dead team should be the devs.
-Firaxis is todays one of the best turn based strategy creator. Fire Emblem and Advance wars are among the best turn based strategy games ever created. It's a match made in heaven.
-While Visual Concepts are so good in creating realistic sports game, maybe it's time they tried their hands at Mario Sports.

Not to forget Nintendo would have all 2K properties exclusive to its system, and they are all what Switch needs nowadayas: Borderlands, GTA, Mafia, Bioshock. Open world games and adventure FPS. If Nintendo is to merge with someone, it shouldn't be with nonsensical options like Apple or Disney. It should be with Take Two.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Playtonic would be a good candidate. What would they bring to the table? Next Level brought experience with sports titles, Retro was built with people responsible for shooters like Turok. Playtonic is just another platformer developer, and Nintendo has ample platformer studios as is.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah if Nintendo were to make uncharacteristic partnerships in the west, I'd hope it'd be with studios who can cover an area in which Nintendo themselves is weak or lacking.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
A Spike Chunsoft-developed single player Splatoon Mystery Dungeon would be pretty interesting, the more that I think about it.

wouldn't be surprised to see SC do a MD game with another Nintendo IP since PMD's story came to an end and they exhausted all their ideas with PSMD. I don't think it would be a good idea to do an X6 situation with Pokemon MD and run it into the ground, so having a Zelda/Splatoon/Mario Mystery Dungeon game could be a fun experiment.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo wanted another 3D platformer I'm sure Good-Feel would be capable of delivering with Nintendo's oversight.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is the Pokemon demographic majority-female? I thought it would be relatively neutral.
Yeah it's more so that Pokemon will probably keep things steady, while I think a majority of Nintendo's other big IPs (apart from AC) could skew things back into a male majority. Though Nintendo has pretty much played all those big guns already.

Prunus

Sep 6, 2018
Lol I remember when some girls tried to tell me Animal Crossing is for girls only and I shouldn't play it back in elementary school. Kids are dumb lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.