• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking about how Nintendo seems to have a found a new, long term Western partner in Mercury Steam and it got me wondering. What other, independent Western developers could they start working with?

They're not going to be working with Headstrong Games or Monster Games anymore so replacements need to be found.

Knowing Nintendo, I can't really see them working with massive teams. MercurySteam is ~100 people, Next Level Games is ~115 people etc. They aren't really in the business of making huge AAA productions in the first place, especially not with outside companies. With that in mind...

Gunfire Games seems to have a very Nintendo-like approach to game design and production judging by interviews with studiohead David L. Adams. Very focused on economical production and mechanics over presentation. At the same time, they make games that are very different from what Nintendo does in both gameplay and aesthetics so they'd be a good fit.

If Nintendo still wants to make F-Zero or revive Diddy Kong Racing, the team that made Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing Transformed at Sumo Digital would be my first pick.

I've also said it before but I'd have loved to see Nintendo work with THQ Nordic/Deep Silver. Volition (Saints Row) and Dambuster Studios (Homefront: The Revolution, former Free Radical Design people) would fill some glaring holes in the Switch lineup but I doubt that they would work on exclusive games with Nintendo.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Actually, if Nintendo could merge with TakeTwo as a whole, they both profit a lot from each other. It's pipe dream but an amazing one:

-Rockstar studios are the best car combat devs in the world. It's time to carry F-Zero franchise to the open world realm and they're the ones should do that.
-Irrational games now absorbed into 2K Marin, they could create Metroid Prime game very close to the Retro's style.
-Out of all devs, Ken Levine is the biggest Zelda fan as he dumped his girlfriend over Ocarina of Time. I want to see what he and his newly founded studio Ghost Story to make out of 2D Zelda franchise.
-For 3D Zelda Rockstar San Diego/Red Dead team should be the devs.
-Firaxis is todays one of the best turn based strategy creator. Fire Emblem and Advance wars are among the best turn based strategy games ever created. It's a match made in heaven.
-While Visual Concepts are so good in creating realistic sports game, maybe it's time they tried their hands at Mario Sports.

Not to forget Nintendo would have all 2K properties exclusive to its system, and they are all what Switch needs nowadayas: Borderlands, GTA, Mafia, Bioshock. Open world games and adventure FPS. If Nintendo is to merge with someone, it shouldn't be with nonsensical options like Apple or Disney. It should be with Take Two.
How drunk were you when writing this up? :D

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Actually, if Nintendo could merge with TakeTwo as a whole, they both profit a lot from each other. It's pipe dream but an amazing one:

-Rockstar studios are the best car combat devs in the world. It's time to carry F-Zero franchise to the open world realm and they're the ones should do that.
-Irrational games now absorbed into 2K Marin, they could create Metroid Prime game very close to the Retro's style.
-Out of all devs, Ken Levine is the biggest Zelda fan as he dumped his girlfriend over Ocarina of Time. I want to see what he and his newly founded studio Ghost Story to make out of 2D Zelda franchise.
-For 3D Zelda Rockstar San Diego/Red Dead team should be the devs.
-Firaxis is todays one of the best turn based strategy creator. Fire Emblem and Advance wars are among the best turn based strategy games ever created. It's a match made in heaven.
-While Visual Concepts are so good in creating realistic sports game, maybe it's time they tried their hands at Mario Sports.

Not to forget Nintendo would have all 2K properties exclusive to its system, and they are all what Switch needs nowadayas: Borderlands, GTA, Mafia, Bioshock. Open world games and adventure FPS. If Nintendo is to merge with someone, it shouldn't be with nonsensical options like Apple or Disney. It should be with Take Two.

Nice fan fiction you got there. Hope you find success with it.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
They still had a system more powerful than the PS2 and easier to work with, where Sony outright lied about somethings regarding the PS2. Kamiya tore Sony apart about this during the development of DMC.

Well really power doesn't matter when most third parties didn't even have a dev kit for the system till about 6 months before launch and even after. Like they really made some bone headed choices in how to approach third parties partly because they didn't want them at the time either compared to xbox/ps2.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm intrigued to see what they can do with Mario Maker 2.

In regards to the 2d Zelda, please let it be a big sized adventure like Between Worlds was, not some multiplayer based thing.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So anyone know if Alexander Brandon is still working at Retro?

https://www.gamereactor.eu/amp/news/533573/Retro+Studios+hires+Deus+Ex+composer/

He has made som amazing soundtracks (Unreal, Deus ex etc) and would be a perfect fit for a Metroid soundtrack. Remember reading Metroid was even one of his big influences..
As we had discussed when this new originally broke, he was working in sound design for the majority of his recent career, not composing music. So assuming he's going to compose for a game of theirs should not be the first conclusion to jump to.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
I just want something to come out before Yoshi on March 31st, which I'm not that excited for (I'm sure it'll be good, but nothing amazing). It seems unlikely we'll get anything from Nintendo before that date, but I'd love for SNES games to be added to Switch Online, or some indie games get announced that will be released late this month/early March.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I just want something to come out before Yoshi on March 31st, which I'm not that excited for (I'm sure it'll be good, but nothing amazing). It seems unlikely we'll get anything from Nintendo before that date, but I'd love for SNES games to be added to Switch Online, or some indie games get announced that will be released late this month/early March.

It's possible we're getting an eshop title in February, possibly a Boxboy title.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I'd love a Wario Ware game on Switch, but my fear is that they'll gussy it up with a bunch of nonsense multiplayer mumbo jumbo like they did with the Wii version.

I would love it if they stuck to basics a la the original GBA game. No touch, no microphone, no twisting, just "mash" style mini-games.

WarioWare has always been a tech showcase franchise. Gimmicks are its identity at this point.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love a Wario Ware game on Switch, but my fear is that they'll gussy it up with a bunch of nonsense multiplayer mumbo jumbo like they did with the Wii version.

I would love it if they stuck to basics a la the original GBA game. No touch, no microphone, no twisting, just "mash" style mini-games.

I love the WarioWare franchise (especially the first 5 with Sakamoto's team), and Smooth Moves multiplayer is one of the best party games ever.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
So, assuming there's no unexpected sub-contracting or co-development like with Oracle of Ages or Wii Fit U, in 2019 EPD is likely to release:

-NSMBUDX (finished a while ago apparently, though)
-LABO 4 (likely already finished)
-Pikmin 3 port
-Animal Crossing
-Mario Maker 2
-2D Zelda
-Mario Kart Tour

That's a big jump from last year.

Last edited:
OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
So, assuming there's no unexpected sub-contracting or co-development like with Oracle of Ages or Wii Fit U, in 2019 EPD is likely to release:

Yeah.. about that. Still, EPD should be on course to release much more in-house derived software this year. They did something interesting on the WIi U / 3DS. They had their prototype teams split-off development to contractors to finish (Steel Diver, Star Fox Zero, Wii Sports Club, etc.) That's an interesting approach moving forward.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Yeah.. about that. Still, EPD should be on course to release much more in-house derived software this year. They did something interesting on the WIi U / 3DS. They had their prototype teams split-off development to contractors to finish (Steel Diver, Star Fox Zero, Wii Sports Club, etc.) That's an interesting approach moving forward.

Oh, I'm fully expecting at least one or more of them will be outsourced or co-developed.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Maker 2?

the hell Tezuka and Miyamoto been doing since the remix 10 update for Super Mario Run?

It's going to be wild if the 3d Mario team pump out the next mainline game before the 2D team

Edit: damn...2019 is shaping to be solid AF. Looks my gcu is going out with a bang lol.

Last edited:

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'll be busy for the rest of the year, so I won't have much spare time to participate on Era. So if you ping me or dm me -- don't expect a quick response anytime soon. I made one last final update to my post, and added eShop game #3. This is shaping up to be a big year for eShop digital releases.

Hope to talk to you all in 2020.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'll be busy for the rest of the year, so I won't have much spare time to participate on Era. So if you ping me or dm me -- don't expect a quick response anytime soon. I made one last final update to my post, and added eShop game #3. This is shaping up to be a big year for eShop digital releases.

Your link doesn't link to your post.

Wait a second, weren't you a mod? Why are you a peasant now?

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Your link doesn't link to your post.

Wait a second, weren't you a mod? Why are you a peasant now?

Didn't have time to be an administrator anymore. Needed more time for other things. With that said, I put in a lot of work and time into helping Cerium create this site (including the 2.0 update). So I hope this site and community continues to grow.

Oct 27, 2017

Thank you for the knowledge you brought us, and I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. Five is the floor (minimum) -- not the ceiling. The ceiling could be as high as 11 or 12.

It's difficult to give an exact number because any game can be pushed back to 2020 for marketing/scheduling reasons.

Let me try to explain this better.

The "Most likely" Nintendo-published game announcements for 2019. (70% chance or higher)

1. Mystery game #1
2. Mystery game #2
3. Mystery game #3
4. Mystery game #4
5. eShop game #1
6. Mystery Wii U port #1 (2013 title)
7. eShop game #2
8. eShop game #3
9. New Labo Kit

The "Maybe" games for 2019. (The wild card titles - 50% chance or less)

10. Retro Studios secret game (this is assuming it wasn't canned)
11. Metroid Prime Trilogy (assuming Zell's info and Imran's info are correct)
12. Mystery Wii U port #2

Final Update: February 8th, 2019

I am adding eShop game #3 to the list. This is shaping up to be a big year for eShop digital releases.

Assuming that every "mystery title" is one that hasn't been announced yet, that's a lot of games to come, given that we already have Yoshi, FE, LM3, Animal Crossing, Daemon X Machina, and Pokemon 2019 filling out the rest of the year. I wouldn't mind if Nintendo kept some stuff for 2020 just to make sure that year has a full schedule, too.

Thanks for sharing this as always, Emily. I'm excited for those eShop releases and have missed them on Switch.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Man.. If thry will really release pikmin 3...I will be infuriated.
It would be such a joke after all the pikmin 4 miscommunication

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Assuming that every "mystery title" is one that hasn't been announced yet, that's a lot of games to come, given that we already have Yoshi, FE, LM3, Animal Crossing, Daemon X Machina, and Pokemon 2019 filling out the rest of the year. I wouldn't mind if Nintendo kept some stuff for 2020 just to make sure that year has a full schedule, too.

Thanks for sharing this as always, Emily. I'm excited for those eShop releases and have missed them on Switch.

Based on the rumours, my guesses...

The "Most likely" Nintendo-published game announcements for 2019. (70% chance or higher)

1. Mystery game #1 - 2D Zelda
2. Mystery game #2 - Mario Maker 2
3. Mystery game #3 - Nintendoworld or something of that ilk. Online focused whatever it is
4. Mystery game #4 - Has pokemon technically been 'announced' in the sense that it couldn't fill one of these slots? Otherwise I'm not sure
5. eShop game #1 - Boxboy
6. Mystery Wii U port #1 (2013 title) - Pikmin 3
7. eShop game #2 - Mario VS DK
8. eShop game #3 - ?
9. New Labo Kit - ?

The "Maybe" games for 2019. (The wild card titles - 50% chance or less)

10. Retro Studios secret game (this is assuming it wasn't canned) - Star Fox Grand Prix?
11. Metroid Prime Trilogy (assuming Zell's info and Imran's info are correct)
12. Mystery Wii U port #2 - W101 or SM3DW

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Honestly more than anything I want to see new "big" single player IP.

Splatoon and ARMS prove they can create new worlds and experiences perfectly.

Mar 23, 2018
So based on the info that has been shared with us, the best folks can hope for right now regarding The Wonderful 101 is that one of the unrevealed Platinum projects is a TW101 sequel that includes TW101 as an additional game like Bayonetta 2 did with Bayo 1, right? I don't really know if TW101 is a first party title but may aswell post it here.

I wanna see what the Octopath/Bravely dev team is making, too; Bravely could absolutely continue as its own thing or they could keep making 2DHD titles but I'd rather see something with the Bravely style before the next 2DHD title. This also reminds me: is Atlus even working on anything other than SMT V for the platform? I don't recall any other title being announced(There's the Persona 5 rumor)

I'm wondering if the ARMS team is working on a different game or sequel already, too.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
So based on the info that has been shared with us, the best folks can hope for right now regarding The Wonderful 101 is that one of the unrevealed Platinum projects is a TW101 sequel that includes TW101 as an additional game like Bayonetta 2 did with Bayo 1, right? I don't really know if TW101 is a first party title but may aswell post it here.

I wanna see what the Octopath/Bravely dev team is making, too; Bravely could absolutely continue as its own thing or they could keep making 2DHD titles but I'd rather see something with the Bravely style before the next 2DHD title. This also reminds me: is Atlus even working on anything other than SMT V for the platform? I don't recall any other title being announced(There's the Persona 5 rumor)

I'm wondering if the ARMS team is working on a different game or sequel already, too.

Aren't the ARMS team the Mario Kart team?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
TW101 as first party as it gets.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's more first party than Town

Status
Not open for further replies.