• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. We won't see Mario Kart 9 any time soon. Probably not until their next platform as a launch game.

Which is why I feel that the argument people use that says "ports don't affect the release of new games" to people who complain about them isn't entirely true. I'm generally not against ports at all, and even welcome the possibility of a select few more Wii U ports, but Nintendo more or less has treated the Wii U ports to the Switch as brand new games in their respective franchises. Don't expect a brand new Mario Kart on the Switch, nor a 2D Mario that's not Mario Maker 2. Heck, I'd say even the chances of a new DK game is slim.

I guess it's just the reality when we're coming off of a failed system that nobody bought. These technically are "new games" for the vast majority of people. Sucks for Wii U owners though.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Which is why I feel that the argument people use that says "ports don't affect the release of new games" to people who complain about them isn't entirely true. I'm generally not against ports at all, and even welcome the possibility of a select few more Wii U ports, but Nintendo more or less has treated the Wii U ports to the Switch as brand new games in their respective franchises. Don't expect a brand new Mario Kart on the Switch, nor a 2D Mario that's not Mario Maker 2. Heck, I'd say even the chances of a new DK game is slim.

I guess it's just the reality when we're coming off of a failed system that nobody bought. These technically are "new games" for the vast majority of people. Sucks for Wii U owners though.
Yep. The whole "you can't complain about ports thing" isn't really that valid if those ports actually are meant to replace new games in that series. Mk8 is a 5 year old game. If there isn't a new one for like 5 more years until the switch 2, that's a decade of mk8. Like come on.

SurTAR

Dec 9, 2018
I'm Ok with MK8D being the only Mario Kart on Switch since I don't see the IP being able to evolve further than where it is now. They can always add scenaries, characters and cars, but that could all be included in DLC's (which I expect to have).

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm Ok with MK8D being the only Mario Kart on Switch since I don't see the IP being able to evolve further than where it is now. They can always add scenaries, characters and cars, but that could all be included in DLC's (which I expect to have).
But are they going to? It's been out 2 years now. 2-3 years is very late to add new full dlc.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh..
So after FE and Yoshi delays, the metroid debacle.. We have also a pikmin shitshow here?

So much for their hybrid hardware that should increase the number of brand new releases merging the portable and jome development pipeline..
hybrid hardware has nothing to do with that. shit, EA literally just rebooted a game twice and that's being made for more malleable systems than the switch

SpillRune

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I know lots of people who skipped MK8dx because they already played it on WiiU. I also know a few who bought MK8dx under the impression that it was a new game, and was extremely disappointed to discover that it was not. A new Mario Kart must be close. It needs to completely change its online system to draw in the Fortnite crowd, as 10-14 year olds are now probably the most active online user base out there. If they can somehow create a Balloon-Battle Royale mode, where you might not even start in your gokart, but have to locate them to use weapons and find upgrades and reach safe zones, and different karts have different abilities, drivers can be knocked off their karts, etc.. I think there's something there that could be very fun, and definitely different enough to be a brand new game.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Oh..
So after FE and Yoshi delays, the metroid debacle.. We have also a pikmin shitshow here?

So much for their hybrid hardware that should increase the number of brand new releases merging the portable and jome development pipeline..
Sure it sucks that we won't/didn't get those games when we were meant to, but don't forget we'll be getting better games for it.

Jan 3, 2018
Yep. The whole "you can't complain about ports thing" isn't really that valid if those ports actually are meant to replace new games in that series. Mk8 is a 5 year old game. If there isn't a new one for like 5 more years until the switch 2, that's a decade of mk8. Like come on.

Right, and ARMS to me was not a good trade-off for a lack of a new MK.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Oh..

Complete non sequitor there. Making games for one system doesn't guarantee there'll never be development troubles, lol.

Besides - look at Yoshi, the delay really seems to be a big improvement over the first showing. I don't know I'd want the version where you need 2 players to flip the stage.

Right, and ARMS to me was not a good trade-off for a lack of a new MK.

The core gameplay of ARMs is great. Very satisfying. So hard disagree.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Oh..

You do realise that every other developer has the same issues, right? Game development isn't easy and you are being extremely disrespectful.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Oh..

You clearly have no idea how game development works. This is the status quo.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Oh..

What are you decrying here in terms of output? Hybrid < console + portable or hybrid <= max(console, portable) ?

In the former case, well yeah, it's expected that the output could become smaller when you move on from developing for the 3DS, considering that system takes a lot less development power than an HD system. In the latter case, you're simply wrong.

Also, development issues happen, they just made the mistake of announcing those projects too early (in the case of Pikmin 4 and MP4), and now they have public cases of delays/reboots. I doubt stuff like this never happened before. Instead, this stuff probably just didn't become public because they never talked publicly about those games.

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
Yes, I can confirm that this year will be important for Nintendo about the eShop.

Can't wait to see those games.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be busy for the rest of the year, so I won't have much spare time to participate on Era. So if you ping me or dm me -- don't expect a quick response anytime soon. I made one last final update to my post, and added eShop game #3. This is shaping up to be a big year for eShop digital releases.

Hope to talk to you all in 2020.

I wish you a good luck with your future and I hope everything would be smooth experience for you. Thanks for some nuggets and most of us really appreciate that!

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah for some reason "Zelda" and "multiplayer" makes me wince. The furthest I'd be fine with is some Dark Souls-lite aspects where players can leave messages or slight impacts on another player's game. But the whole Four Swords/Triforce Heroes type of multiplayer I don't mind if we never see again.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey are among the worst-selling Mario games of all time in Japan. With dire 3DS software numbers like these, it's clear why Nintendo is doing a Switch Mini before a Switch Pro.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know anything about it. I don't see any reason to think it'll be multiplayer focused anyway.

I think the common reasoning is that a lot of Switch games have been pushing the local multiplayer aspect since you have the two joycons out of the box.

I hope they know that they need some single player focused games in addition to multiplayer, but with the history of the 2D Zelda series and the above I think it's reasonable to think they might go for some multiplayer elements.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey are among the worst-selling Mario games of all time in Japan. With dire 3DS software numbers like these, it's clear why Nintendo is doing a Switch Mini before a Switch Pro.

Yup, 3DS SW sales have tanked hard. I don't know who said it but with 3DS becoming a non-factor, they're inevitably going to have to up their Switch SW output. I assume that the 2018 lineup was still planned with the assumption that the 3DS might carry its weight but not anymore.

Jan 3, 2018
I think the common reasoning is that a lot of Switch games have been pushing the local multiplayer aspect since you have the two joycons out of the box.

I hope they know that they need some single player focused games in addition to multiplayer, but with the history of the 2D Zelda series and the above I think it's reasonable to think they might go for some multiplayer elements.

Also Aonuma has teased about multiplayer Zelda multiple times.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
The underground info about Nintendo's line up accounts for most of the EPD Production groups except Sakamato and Production Group No.7. Something 2D Metroid / Tomodachi / Rhythm Tengoku has to surface by year's end. I hope.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017

hopefully nintendo takes note and kills the 3ds for good now, but i guess we'll see if the direct has more 3ds headlines lol

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
The underground info about Nintendo's line up accounts for most of the EPD Production groups except Sakamato and Production Group No.7. Something 2D Metroid / Tomodachi / Rhythm Tengoku has to surface by year's end. I hope.

The current thought/speculation is that they are collaborating with Mercurysteam on Metroid V. Maybe they are working on Tomodachi Life internally. Don't think either will be this year, though. Especially not Metroid.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Mario & Luigi as a concept is kind of played out.

Mario RPGs have been stagnating for a long time, they really need a swift kick in the ass

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Alpha Dream just needs to work on something new. A brand new franchise or something. Something they have a drive to make

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think the best path for AlphaDream would be to use WarioWare. It's a franchise with lots of funny charming characters, and it's not so big that the world is controlled like Mario's is.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If IS somehow hasn't started paper mario switch yet, I wonder if Nintendo would make them turn it into an rpg again looking at the downward slope of mario and luigi sales.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Is there any way updating the OP with that info makes sense, or should we wait until it's confirmed?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If IS somehow hasn't started paper mario switch yet, I wonder if Nintendo would make them turn it into an rpg again looking at the downward slope of mario and luigi sales.
I'm sure after the reception of SS and CS they've been developing a Paper Mario rpg game again. IS is big enough to have been working on it years ago.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure after the reception of SS and CS they've been developing a Paper Mario rpg game again. IS is big enough to have been working on it years ago.
Well we've been over this before, but they said they were going in a new direction before, and that mario and luigi was the mario rpg series so tht paper mario didn't have to be.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We already got that with BotW.
undefined
i want a turn based rpg with the champions being playable with each being their own class

I honestly think Nintendo will retire Mario and Luigi and Paper Mario for something fresh

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Oh..

It happens a lot in videogames development. And we don't have much details about this reboot. Maybe it was a wiiu game and they had to change things for Switch release...who knows ? 2019 is shaping up to be a very good year so I don't really see your point.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
I've been playing some of the 3DS BiS, and there are less contentious changes than in the prior remake. It's obvious that it would have disappointing sales even if it was an excellent all-new game, though a bit less so. So I'm not sure if it's fair to say that the series should be scrapped because of boring games while also holding up BiS as the best, which Alphadream seems to acknowledge (Plus the linear, minigame-centric DNA of the later games was sort of set by BiS, not that it can't be done well.)

It would be nice to see their animation skills applied to other things as well, of course. But I'm not sure what bankable Nintendo properties are as suited to their style as Mario. Until we hear a definite, the prognostication that either Mario spinoff series will be discontinued remains wishful(?) thinking among the diehard fans.

Last edited:

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
likely. his most successful stuff has been anything that's not Metroid and those are usually new IPs
I mean, it seems like metroid 5 for the switch is already being made right now, most likely under mercury steam. Depending on how that does, he could do another 2d game after that, or another remake like super metroid or fusion, or something else if it doesn't sell that good.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I can understand the port complaints to a certain degree but I don't think it's quite as simple. Ports such as Mario Kart 8 DX, Tropical Freeze and NSMBUDX serve to 1. extend the lifetime of those games beyond the failure of the Wii U and 2. to let those development teams work on different things. The theories that one game cannot appear on a system just because another is on it seem a bit farfetched and we've seen similar statements over and over again. Why make a 2D Zelda game when you can have 3D Zelda? Why make a 2D Mario when you can have Mario Maker? Nintendo releases tons of games that feel "redundant" to people (especially 2D ones, for some "weird" reason).

In the end, we used to get a new Mario Kart every 3 years for a very long time and I'd argue most didn't approach the level of quality and content found in MK8DX. Other series don't get nearly this many entries. Yabuki worked on three Mario Kart games before he was finally able to do something new. Other teams at EPD don't get that chance at all. That's why I find these complaints a bit backwards. Instead of looking at these ports as a nice little extra, the first impulse is always to think that people are being robbed of something. It's the same weird attitude people have towards Smash characters they don't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.