• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand the port complaints to a certain degree but I don't think it's quite as simple. Ports such as Mario Kart 8 DX, Tropical Freeze and NSMBUDX serve to 1. extend the lifetime of those games beyond the failure of the Wii U and 2. to let those development teams work on different things. The theories that one game cannot appear on a system just because another is on it seem a bit farfetched and we've seen similar statements over and over again. Why make a 2D Zelda game when you can have 3D Zelda? Why make a 2D Mario when you can have Mario Maker? Nintendo releases tons of games that feel "redundant" to people (especially 2D ones, for some "weird" reason).

In the end, we used to get a new Mario Kart every 3 years for a very long time and I'd argue most didn't approach the level of quality and content found in MK8DX. Other series don't get nearly this many entries. Yabuki worked on three Mario Kart games before he was finally able to do something new. Other teams at EPD don't get that chance at all. That's why I find these complaints a bit backwards. Instead of looking at these ports as a nice little extra, the first impulse is always to think that people are being robbed of something. It's the same weird attitude people have towards Smash characters they don't like.
It's not really a good comparison to smash characters. If MK8D wasn't ported, we would get a brand new mk on the switch. Now there might not be one for like 5 years on the switch 2. That's a decade of mk8 for people that had it on the wii u. It's fair for people that had a wii u and most games to look at the situation.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
The games ported from the WiiU are sometimes not small series, there are some big ones as well; Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, apparently Pikmin... If it means no new entries for the next 4-5 years, there will be legitimate reasons to be upset. I don't think anyone would have issues if the ports were stuff like Capitan Todd for which fewer people are craving for a new game.
Though my bet is Mario Kart 9 in 2020, and (brace yourself, new bet) Donkey Kong 2021.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey are among the worst-selling Mario games of all time in Japan. With dire 3DS software numbers like these, it's clear why Nintendo is doing a Switch Mini before a Switch Pro.

Oh dear, what a shame -- - it's a solid remake despite its missteps (I dig most of the background rework, but Bowser's sprite feels lifeless).

I love my 3DSes to death, but between this and WarioWare Gold, it's definitely past its expiration date.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Man.. If thry will really release pikmin 3...I will be infuriated.
It would be such a joke after all the pikmin 4 miscommunication.

Oh..
So after FE and Yoshi delays, the metroid debacle.. We have also a pikmin shitshow here?

So much for their hybrid hardware that should increase the number of brand new releases merging the portable and jome development pipeline..

Well yeah, games keep delaying all the time and in same case getting rebooted,
talking about Pikmin 4 specifically, game was never officially announced by Nintendo, so hardly we can say there was miscommunication or shitshow with Pikmin 4.

And yes, already announced and rumored games for this year clearly show quite big number of games in any case.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it seems like metroid 5 for the switch is already being made right now, most likely under mercury steam. Depending on how that does, he could do another 2d game after that, or another remake like super metroid or fusion, or something else if it doesn't sell that good.
Nintendo's producers work on more than one game at a time, as he most likely did with Samus Returns. producing Metroid 5 and, say, a new IP and/or Rhythm Heaven isn't out of the question

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not really a good comparison to smash characters. If MK8D wasn't ported, we would get a brand new mk on the switch. Now there might not be one for like 5 years on the switch 2. That's a decade of mk8 for people that had it on the wii u. It's fair for people that had a wii u and most games to look at the situation.

Yes, and some Nintendo series don't get sequels for more than a decade and some don't get sequels ever. It happens. It's not like there is never going to be a new Mario Kart.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and some Nintendo series don't get sequels for more than a decade and some don't get sequels ever. It happens. It's not like there is never going to be a new Mario Kart.
Mario kart isn't comparable to other series, it sells more than anything. You can't compare like botw coming out 6 years after ss for obvious reasons. 10 years of one racing game that doesn't get any new content on the port in terms of tracks is just lame. The switch itself is great, I love it as hardware overall, but it kind of is vita-ish in some ways. I just don't get why there has to be a decade between mario karts of all series.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mario kart isn't comparable to other series, it sells more than anything. You can't compare like botw coming out 6 years after ss for obvious reasons. 10 years of one racing game that doesn't get any new content on the port in terms of tracks is just lame. The switch itself is great, I love it as hardware overall, but it kind of is vita-ish in some ways.

It's funny you bring up sales because those are exactly the reason why we aren't getting a new one any time soon.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So you admit it's fair to say that people that go against wii u ports have a valid reason?

I'm only disputing the notion that ports are a net negative. In general, I find the idea that we'd suddenly be getting new entries if it weren't for those ports kind of ludicrous because it presupposes a series of hypotheticals that couldn't be further removed from reality. The Wii U bombed, many of the games on it weren't close to reaching their sales potential, Nintendo is trying to make the best out of it and that's really it.

People wanting things is obviously fair but it's also like...
yeshrug.png

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I'm only disputing the notion that ports are a net negative. In general, I find the idea that we'd suddenly be getting new entries if it weren't for those ports kind of ludicrous because it presupposes a series of hypotheticals that couldn't be further removed from reality. The Wii U bombed, many of the games on it weren't close to reaching their sales potential, Nintendo is trying to make the best out of it and that's really it.

People wanting things is obviously fair but it's also like...
yeshrug.png

The whole discussion assumes that the ports come in place of a new game. In Bayonetta's case, for example, we know this is not the case. MPT and Pikmin 3 are likely the same. I imagine stuff like HW2 and

I don't think a MK9 is coming to the Switch, but I also don't think it makes sense. You can wring your hands all you want, but I'd much rather the devs got to work on stuff they enjoy like ARMS/Splatoon/LABO than being forced to come up with another new gimmick for console Mario Kart because fans don't think it's fair they're not getting a new entry for an extra few years.

ZaddyMattty

Dec 4, 2017
New York City
I think having MK8 Deluxe allows Nintendo to do some kind of series shakeup and change it to something that extends beyond the Mario universe and more to the tune of smash.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
JOB DATE: NOVEMBER 12, 2018

jbhmmm.png
His Linkedin indicates his tenure there ended January 2019.

If I put on my detective hat for a moment:

It sounds like the MP4 reboot decision may have been made early in November or late October, which is when they decided they needed to recruit an art director. This decision was probably made around the same time their previous project wrapped up development, which is why the previous art director (Vince) left a couple months later.

I think this all points pretty strongly to their current game being done.

Jan 11, 2018

It sounds like the MP4 reboot decision may have been made early in November or late October, which is when they decided they needed to recruit an art director. This decision was probably made around the same time their previous project wrapped up development, which is why the previous art director (Vince) left a couple months later.

It's what we're all hoping. At this point I don't really care whether it's Star Fox, Donkey Kong, or something else. Just give it to me already lol.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019

Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey are among the worst-selling Mario games of all time in Japan. With dire 3DS software numbers like these, it's clear why Nintendo is doing a Switch Mini before a Switch Pro.

I don't know what they expected selling a box labelled "dead console do not play"

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'd say that your detective hat might have at least a speculation sash but I hope you're right :p

If we assume that the other high-profile exits were due to cancellations, it feels weird that Joly would only leave months later after MP4 was supposedly moved to Retro. It seems that something was cooking for a while and the timeline of events certainly lines up with your theory. I hope we find out what happened with their previous project by E3 at the latest.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there is a chance that Sakamoto could works on new IP?

I think 2D Metroid and Rhythm Tengoku will be straightforward sequels. Tomodachi has a good shot of being reinvented again to continue differentiating itself from AC, and building on its unique features.

It's surprising that Tanabe took over WarioWare.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Does Spawn Wave have a decent track record with rumors? I remember the name coming up once of twice, but I don't remember anything about their past claims.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Another Retro Studios job listing. This one was opened July last year, so it doesn't say anything about whether Retro is done with the last game they were working on or not.

Jan 11, 2018
I think 2D Metroid and Rhythm Tengoku will be straightforward sequels. Tomodachi has a good shot of being reinvented again to continue differentiating itself from AC, and building on its unique features.

It's surprising that Tanabe took over WarioWare.

I hope they go with Sakamoto's original idea for Other M with a camera like Pandemonium!. Team Ninja put their foot down in accordance with interviews and insisted on a fully 3D game, though there were still elements of it.

Starkiller

Jan 30, 2018
So Liam answered my question on his podcast and he said that the Switch Online system that he said "was more rumor-ey" was not Game Boy Online

He also said that there will be some "huge news regarding their relationship with Microsoft" coming out in the next six months

And that there a ton of unannounced games coming in 2019 that we don't know about yet

Liam also said that heard about a Direct coming this week, and that he heard of a few games in the Direct but he doesn't say what they are.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
So Liam answered my question on his podcast and he said that the Switch Online system that he said "was more rumor-ey" was not Game Boy Online

He also said that there will be some "huge news regarding their relationship with Microsoft" coming out in the next six months

And that there a ton of unannounced games coming in 2019 that we don't know about yet

Liam also said that heard about a Direct coming this week, and that he heard of a few games in the Direct but he doesn't say what they are.
Interesting. My money's on xCloud for the huge Microsoft X Nintendo news.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
A new Tomodachi Life game would be amazing but also seems incongruous with NIntendo's approach to Miis with the Switch. Miis are barely incorporated into the system or it's games. 1,2 Switch could easily have had Miis plastered all over it but Nintendo chose not to. Even making new Miis has become more cumbersome on the Switch compared to WiiU and 3ds with no cameras built into the system. I'd love a grand return of Miis with a new Tomodachi Life but I don't see it happening.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
A new Tomodachi Life game would be amazing but also seems incongruous with NIntendo's approach to Miis with the Switch. Miis are barely incorporated into the system or it's games. 1,2 Switch could easily have had Miis plastered all over it but Nintendo chose not to. Even making new Miis has become more cumbersome on the Switch compared to WiiU and 3ds with no cameras built into the system. I'd love a grand return of Miis with a new Tomodachi Life but I don't see it happening.
integrate the Mii tech they already have from the Miitomo app into Nintendo Switch Online's app and there you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.