• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Does Nintendo tend to give development updates for third party software though in directs? Usually it's just a one time trailer announcement till they come out right?
Nah, Bayo 2 had developement updates back in the day. Daemon X Machina has been constantly shown even if we still don't have a concrete release date. And while Town isn't first party, I wouldn't be surprised that Nintendo took care of all the marketing part for Game Freak, which means strong promotion (at least, as strong as you can get for an eshop title)

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamestop Italy priced it 50€, after some days in which it was 60€. I hope it's the definitive price.
I cant see any reason why it would be cheaper than other first party software. LA is a lengthier and more content rich game than Pokemon R/B was and Let's Go was full price.

Nah, Bayo 2 had developement updates back in the day. Daemon X Machina has been constantly shown even if we still don't have a concrete release date. And while Town isn't first party, I wouldn't be surprised that Nintendo took care of all the marketing part for Game Freak, which means strong promotion (at least, as strong as you can get for an eshop title)
Bayo 2 was published by Nintendo and DxM is also published by Nintendo though. Town isn't being published by Nintendo.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
We will need an OT dedicated to 3rd party teams making Nintendo IP -games in the next year or two.

Ubisoft is clearly gearing towards Switch, Square already has a department for it.

I really wish that Ubisoft Milan makes an entirely new game before tackling Mario + Rabbids sequel. Them making new Nintendo RPG would be friggin awesome.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually surprising to me they didn't show an update for that last week.

They don't often do updates for games previously shown in general Directs to begin with. Obviously there are exceptions like Smash but they seem to like using general Directs to announce new games or show other games previously announced outside of Directs, and not repeatedly show the same game several times.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Ubisoft Milan team, they are probably working on M&R sequel, but I am hoping they are making something different, perhaps on a different Nintendo IP?

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
We will need an OT dedicated to 3rd party teams making Nintendo IP -games in the next year or two.

Ubisoft is clearly gearing towards Switch, Square already has a department for it.

I really wish that Ubisoft Milan makes an entirely new game before tackling Mario + Rabbids sequel. Them making new Nintendo RPG would be friggin awesome.
Nah, we don't really need that. That would just confuse and muddle things.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Gamestop Italy priced it 50€, after some days in which it was 60€. I hope it's the definitive price.
They can use the price they want, it doesn't mean anything.
Amazon Fr was selling Sekiro at 41€ (!) earlier this month. Game is digitaly sold at 69,99€ on ps store/xbox store.
I also preordered DMC V at 45€, and I think the game is at 59,99€ on ps and xbox store.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This thread has been a catch all for all Nintendo published titles. If we separated it then we couldn't talk about Yoshis Crafted World here or Luigi's Mansion 3 and on and on. It would get very confusing.

I mean even Smash Ultimate was a third party studio making a game for a Nintendo IP.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has been a catch all for all Nintendo published titles. If we separated it then we couldn't talk about Yoshis Crafted World here or Luigi's Mansion 3 and on and on. It would get very confusing.

I mean even Smash Ultimate was a third party studio making a game for a Nintendo IP.

Nintendo didn't publish Mario + Rabbids though. Which is the type of game he's referring to.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If Star Fox GP doesn't exist, Nintendo should definitely try to get Ubi Toronto to make a proper new Star Fox using Starlink as a template and with none of that toys-to-life nonsense.

That was their whole pitch already, Paper Mario is adventure, M&L is RPG. They've already differentiated them, that's why people keep making such a fuss. Going back to hardcore RPG for PM would be counterproductive in that light.

I'd argue that Paper Mario doesn't go far enough in that regard. They're still too close in my opinion and should go to the best-selling template of Super Paper Mario instead of this weird halfway point.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Does that need an entire thread? The only games this generation to date that fall under that classification is Mario + Rabbids and Starlink (sort-of). And even then Mario + Rabbids was published by Nintendo in Japan.

Oh no, I don't think it needs another thread (unless a whole bunch more start popping up) I was just kinda clarifying on the types of games I thought he meant.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Stuff like Yoshi, Bayo, Fire Emblem, etc has Nintendo producers and/or directors working on them anyway. There's no useful distinction to be made in terms of first-party discussion.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like Yoshi, Bayo, Fire Emblem, etc has Nintendo producers and/or directors working on them anyway. There's no useful distinction to be made in terms of first-party discussion.
Yep, if Nintendo is publishing a title they have their hands all over it typically whether its developed by an internal studio like EPD or an external third party.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Does that need an entire thread? The only games this generation to date that fall under that classification is Mario + Rabbids and Starlink (sort-of). And even then Mario + Rabbids was published by Nintendo in Japan.

At some point we probably are going to have closer to ten developers creating new kind of Nintendo IP experiences outside Nintendo and their closest affiliates.

I was referring to that time, within the next few years it'll probably be valid idea.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At some point we probably are going to have closer to ten developers creating new kind of Nintendo IP experiences outside Nintendo and their closest affiliates.

I was referring to that time, within the next few years it'll probably be valid idea.
I doubt that, Nintendo will keep publishing nearly all the titles as they always do which means they are hands-on in the development like Smash Ultimate, Yoshi Crafted World, etc. Not publishing them like Rabbids or Mario & Sonic Olympics are going to continue to be the rare exceptions.

If its a Nintendo IP and published by Nintendo it is still very much a Nintendo title with Nintendo involvement even when developed by Third Party.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Why do you see this happening anytime soon (or ever)? So far Ubisoft has really been the only developer making games with Nintendo IP that Nintendo don't publish (and they did publish Mario + Rabbids in Japan anyway).

Unless you aren't limiting it to games they don't publish, in which case those would indeed be first party games.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I doubt that, Nintendo will keep publishing nearly all the titles as they always do which means they are hands-on in the development like Smash Ultimate, Yoshi Crafted World, etc. Not publishing them like Rabbids or Mario & Sonic Olympics are going to continue to be the rare exceptions.

If its a Nintendo IP and published by Nintendo it is still very much a Nintendo title with Nintendo involvement even when developed by Third Party.

Why do you see this happening anytime soon (or ever)? So far Ubisoft has really been the only developer making games with Nintendo IP that Nintendo don't publish (and they did publish Mario + Rabbids in Japan anyway).

Unless you aren't limiting it to games they don't publish, in which case those would indeed be first party games.

Nintendo themselves have said multiple times that they are more open to character licensing and want to get their IP in front of consumers on as many forms as possible. Having Starlink and Mario + Rabbids as highly succesful experiences there is very little doubt that they will expand this form of development.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo themselves have said multiple times that they are more open to character licensing and want to get their IP in front of consumers on as many forms as possible. Having Starlink and Mario + Rabbids as highly succesful experiences there is very little doubt that they will expand this form of development.

They publish most of these licensed games though, like Hyrule Warriors.

The question specifically revolves around games they don't publish. Starlink seems to be the only one in this group, considering they published M+R in Japan.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were talking about movies, theme parks, toys etc. not letting third parties publish titles themselves using Nintendo IP.

Nintendo will continue to publish 99% of the third party developed titles using their IP. No reason to assume otherwise.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
They were talking about movies, theme parks, toys etc. not letting third parties publish titles themselves using Nintendo IP.

Nintendo will continue to publish 99% of the third party developed titles using their IP. No reason to assume otherwise.

Yet we have Starlink and Mario + Rabbids after Nintendo has declared this. And yes they specifically mentioned Theme Parks etc. but they never explicitly said they didn't include video games.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet we have Starlink and Mario + Rabbids after Nintendo has declared this. And yes they specifically mentioned Theme Parks etc. but they never explicitly said they didn't include video games.
Two titles isn't a change from last gen though. There is usually a handful. Not to mention they did publish Rabbids in Japan.

So far there has been nothing to indicate they are going to let third parties publish their own titles with Nintendo IP at a greater frequency in the past.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The word we're not using is "production."

Nintendo had no hand in producing Starlink, M+R, or the Warriors crossovers. That is them licensing out their IP for external development and publishing (Ubisoft and Koei Tecmo) with supervision from whoever is responsible for the IP's characters in-house and agreements for international localization and regional publishing. External production for titles like Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, The Wonderful 101 with global publishing and development support comes with Nintendo producers and directors heavily involved in the making of said titles at external development partners.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yeah, i'm sure AlphaDream moved on to the Switch years ago, while a smaller part of their team worked on the two 3DS remakes.

I'm really curious about the dev cycle of those remakes, and when exactly they were made. They both have fairly strange circumstances surrounding them, as Superstar Saga was completed and uploaded to the eShop servers in April 2017, two months before it was even revealed; while Bowser's Inside Story was already localised during it's first showing in the March 2018 Direct, and was completed before June of that year (as Kimishima was still credited as Executive Producer).
I would imagine that both remakes were complete by around 2017 or early 2018, but Nintendo just sat on them to prolong the life of the 3DS. They stretched the 3DS too far, though, and Bowser's Inside Story fizzled.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
The word we're not using is "production."

Nintendo had no hand in producing Starlink, M+R, or the Warriors crossovers. That is them licensing out their IP for external development and publishing (Ubisoft and Koei Tecmo) with supervision from whoever is responsible for the IP's characters in-house and agreements for international localization and regional publishing. External production for titles like Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, The Wonderful 101 with global publishing and development support comes with Nintendo producers and directors heavily involved in the making of said titles at external development partners.
Exactly this.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
Are you a fan of any other Platinum titles? Or any other action games like DMC?

Uhh.. yeah...

DMC - big fan.
I really loved MGRising and Wonderful 101.
Neir: Automata was sick.
I've even enjoyed their licensed game, that Transformers one (got it for free).
Heck I played and loved stuff from many of their creators prior to Platinum (Viewtiful Joe and Okami).
Never played it but I really appreciated Vanquished too.

I'm not hating on the game or Platinum. Iand a lot of their stuff has spoken to me.
'm not even saying any about gameplay...
I mean the setting, glimpse of narrative, the general art style... didn't really do anything for me personally. It reminds me of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 style (but set in a version of our world sort of) which also didn't do much for me (is that an ok thing to admit here haha?).

Anyways, I was just surprised at the already huge excitement and hype for it. Happy for those people though.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

If you're just referring to externally produced games with Nintendo IP regardless of whether Nintendo publishes them, then why do you feel they will need a different thread?

I thought the whole basis for your argument was that they wouldn't technically be first party titles so they wouldn't belong in this first party thread?

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
If you're just referring to externally produced games with Nintendo IP regardless of whether Nintendo publishes them, then why do you feel they will need a different thread?

I thought the whole basis for your argument was that they wouldn't technically be first party titles so they wouldn't belong in this first party thread?

I was speculating that there might be a situation in the future (And I believe there will be) where Nintendo IP is frequently developed and published by other than Nintendo and think that it would be interesting to have and OT on that.

It was not meant to be anything more than a small speculation on the matter.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I was speculating that there might be a situation in the future (And I believe there will be) where Nintendo IP is frequently developed and published by other than Nintendo and think that it would be interesting to have and OT on that.

It was not meant to be anything more than a small speculation on the matter.

Ah okay, I see. I guess there could be some value in discussing that trend, yeah.

I took your post as meaning these third party developed Nintendo IP games would fall out of the realm of this thread, so we'd need another. I guess that's not what you meant.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really think that people are overselling the Star Fox content in Starlink. It's much closer to Link appearing Soul Calibur II or DK and Bowser in Skylanders than Mario & Rabbids.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019

Wait, Town is only going to be an eShop title??

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
HAL turned 39 today:

Dz5ckNyUUAAXIJ1.jpg

Translation by GoNintendo:

Panel 1
Qbby: Hey! Today's BoxBoy's 39th Anniversary!
Panel 2
Qudy: That's wrong! HAL Laboratory has turned 39 today!
Panel 3
Qbby: 39th Qbby Anniversary…
Qudy: This is too absurd…
Panel 4
Qbby and Qudy: Thank you 39th Anniversary!
HAL: Please treat us well from here on!

Method

Oct 25, 2017
So what do yall think about this gamepass news? Crazy shiet. I'll sign up to gamepass immediately if it comes to switch

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So what do yall think about this gamepass news? Crazy shiet. I'll sign up to gamepass immediately if it comes to switch

I have my concerns when it comes to streaming and game subscriptions in general, for various reasons. But I am also immensely interested in the tech and how it'll inevitably change the gaming landscape and Azure servers are coming to Switzerland soon so I'll be able to test GamePass/xCloud myself.

On a personal level, I am more interested in Microsoft porting over some of their exclusives to Switch (Ori, Cuphead, more?) and what it could mean for Rare's N64 library.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
On a personal level, I am more interested in Microsoft porting over some of their exclusives to Switch (Ori, Cuphead, more?) and what it could mean for Rare's N64 library.
Well, Nate's initial video about the rumor mentioned Ori specifically, so we can look forward to that one at the very least (but Cuphead would also be nice). That, plus the Super Lucky's Tale rumor a bit ago is giving me hope that some (but definitely not all) of the Game Pass games will be ported naively to the Switch instead of just being streamed, which would hopefully include B-K and B-T.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'd get it for Forza Horizon 4, that game looks legit but it's not enough to warrant an XB1 pitch a se for me.

Might dive into some other exclusives, and probably use it for major 3rd party games off-screen (around the house)

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, Nate's initial video about the rumor mentioned Ori specifically, so we can look forward to that one at the very least (but Cuphead would also be nice). That, plus the Super Lucky's Tale rumor a bit ago is giving me hope that some (but definitely not all) of the Game Pass games will be ported naively to the Switch instead of just being streamed, which would hopefully include B-K and B-T.

Yeah, native versions of some select games make a lot of sense.

And if this brings us one step closer to GoldenEye HD finally being released...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Lucky's Tale isn't owned by MS so that wouldn't count at least

Status
Not open for further replies.