• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Rare Replay: Nintendo Switch edition

The following games are removed:

Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Kameo
Perfect Dark Zero
Viva Pinata
Jetpac Refuelled
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
BK: Nuts & Bolts

But in their place, we have

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Star Fox Adventures

and to cap it all off, the first ever official release of the Goldeneye HD remake, available on both Switch and Xbone!

this will never happen :(

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I saw Retro is hiring a contractor for "Product Testing". Idk what this means or what this means in terms of a development for a game. Idk if this is signs of a game coming to an end or not.

https://careers.nintendo.com/job-openings/

This is interesting. For Retro to hire a tester on a contract basis makes me think that they've entered the last phase of development and need someone to deal with crunch. It makes no sense to hire someone on a contract basis this early into MP4 development.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is interesting. For Retro to hire a tester on a contract basis makes me think that they've entered the last phase of development and need someone to deal with crunch. It makes no sense to hire someone on a contract basis this early into MP4 development.
That's how I was looking at it. If it's someone testing your video game product sounds like it's at the end of development and not related to MP4, which they've probably barely started.

Sounds like Retro's game is a 2020 game. God I hope we see it at E3. Nintendo should be comfortable to reveal it.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's how I was looking at it. If it's someone testing your video game product sounds like it's at the end of development and not related to MP4, which they've probably barely started.

Sounds like Retro's game is a 2020 game. God I hope we see it at E3. Nintendo should be comfortable to reveal it.

The contract part is really what tips me over to this being for their pre-MP4 project. It would be a bit unusual for them to get contract workers this early but maybe I'm off the mark here.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The contract part is really what tips me over to this being for their pre-MP4 project. It would be a bit unusual for them to get contract workers this early but maybe I'm off the mark here.
Yeah idk how this works in terms when during development does a contracted product tester come. I'd like to think towards the end to make myself happy.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Yeah idk how this works in terms when during development does a contracted product tester come. I'd like to think towards the end to make myself happy.

If this is an internal position, it could come fairly early in the project (although probably not as early as MP4 presumably is). I imagine that Retro still uses the services of Mario Club and/or NOA Testing for their games for debug too.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So for whatever reason I found myself watching the "teens react to P.T." on Youtube and I had never really seen much of P.T. before, so this was my first time watching basically the whole thing.

But it made me realize, damn would Kojima make a phenomenal Eternal Darkness sequel. What do I have to do to get Nintendo to spend exorbitant amounts of money to get him to make one?

I guess I'd also take an Eternal Darkness 2 by Bloober Team as a consolation prize.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
With the departures of Iwata, Kimishima, Reggie, Genyo Takeda, and many more likely in the coming years I was curious how Nintendo's relationships with long time partners such as Intelligent Systems May be affected. Do we have any details on how their contracts are set up? With potentially new leaders that may not have the same loyalty as their predecessors, it had me wondering if we have any details on the arrangements.

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
With the departures of Iwata, Kimishima, Reggie, Genyo Takeda, and many more likely in the coming years I was curious how Nintendo's relationships with long time partners such as Intelligent Systems May be affected. Do we have any details on how their contracts are set up? With potentially new leaders that may not have the same loyalty as their predecessors, it had me wondering if we have any details on the arrangements.
I'd say transition for the incoming departures is already underway, we are just unaware. I really don't see any major shifts in relationships right now

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to Intelligent System or HAL Nintendo has ownership (or co-ownership) of all their major IPs like Fire Emblem and Kirby.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

Given what Imran said in the past about MPT(it was also bring worked in the way MP4 was iirc), it could be that they took over on that as well at some point. All signs point to it having been completed for a little while now though...Obviously the hope though is that is something entirely new and they are finishing it up, but it's hard to be optimistic.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Given what Imran said in the past about MPT(it was also bring worked in the way MP4 was iirc), it could be that they took over on that as well at some point. All signs point to it having been completed for a little while now though...Obviously the hope though is that is something entirely new and they are finishing it up, but it's hard to be optimistic.

Yeah, it's hard to pin down what's happening where and at what stage with so many moving part. I also thought that others like Nate suggested that MPT was already done. I guess we'll know more once E3 comes around but to me it looks like they're in the final stretch with their pre-MP4 game.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say transition for the incoming departures is already underway, we are just unaware. I really don't see any major shifts in relationships right now

I'm sure they have planned the transitions in most cases. Still at some point the people that started these companies who have near total loyalty to Nintendo will be replaced and I'd be curious to know if there are any long term contracts in place to keep them working on Nintendo projects, or if they could end up testing the waters like we've seen Game Freak do with some smaller projects.

When it comes to Intelligent System or HAL Nintendo has ownership (or co-ownership) of all their major IPs like Fire Emblem and Kirby.

Right and that could be seen as a positive, or a negative by a new leader. Maybe the new leader decides it's in their best interest to develop a new IP that they have ownership of. In that case is their anything stopping them?

Do we know anything about the ownership groups of any of these partner companies?

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
HAL turned 39 today:

Dz5ckNyUUAAXIJ1.jpg

Translation by GoNintendo:

HAL: Please treat us well from here on
Only if you give us a 3D Kirby

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

Imran implied that MPT was not Retro.

Could've been a guess, but he seems familiar enough with the project to know that much.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure they have planned the transitions in most cases. Still at some point the people that started these companies who have near total loyalty to Nintendo will be replaced and I'd be curious to know if there are any long term contracts in place to keep them working on Nintendo projects, or if they could end up testing the waters like we've seen Game Freak do with some smaller projects.

Right and that could be seen as a positive, or a negative by a new leader. Maybe the new leader decides it's in their best interest to develop a new IP that they have ownership of. In that case is their anything stopping them?

Do we know anything about the ownership groups of any of these partner companies?

For IS in particular, since Awakening took off, they've been given a lot more leeway to venture into merchandising than they had before. It's not unusual for them to announce a new batch of Fire Emblem merchandise every three months or so, in fact they're even started to let people order directly from their website. Fire Emblem has become their bread and butter, and I don't see them going alone with a new IP any time soon.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
HAL turned 39 today:

Dz5ckNyUUAAXIJ1.jpg

Translation by GoNintendo:

Panel 1
Qbby: Hey! Today's BoxBoy's 39th Anniversary!
Panel 2
Qudy: That's wrong! HAL Laboratory has turned 39 today!
Panel 3
Qbby: 39th Qbby Anniversary…
Qudy: This is too absurd…
Panel 4
Qbby and Qudy: Thank you 39th Anniversary!
HAL: Please treat us well from here on!
The translation doesn't explain the pun here.

The 9 in 39 is pronounced "kyuu" which sounds like "cube" ("Qbby"). That's why Qbby gets confused and thinks it's Box Boy's anniversary.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, but man, that N64 Classic does sound pretty good right now...

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
So this looks like what Nintendo is banking on to sustain/increase momentum, that we are aware of:

March:
Yoshi
Chocobo's Racing
Final Fantasy 7
Dead or Alive Xtreme 3
Samurai Warriors 4 DX
Boxboy and Boxgirl

April:
Mortal Kombat 11
Final Fantasy X & X2
Dragon's Dogma
Darksiders
Super Dragon Ball Heroes
SSB DLC #1

May:
Assassins Creed 3
Guilty Gear
Team Sonic Racing
Final Fantasy 12*
Hellsblade*
Captain Toad DLC*

June:
Super Mario Maker 2
Crash tag team racing
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles*
Resident Evil 4* (physical copy $40 for RE4 stand alone, $60 for RE4, 5 and 6 trilogy with 5 and 6 being DL only, released at later dates.)
SSB DLC #2*

July:
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Yokai Watch*
Daemon X Machina*
RE5*(Download only $25, $60 for RE4, 5 and 6)

August:
Astral Chain
Town*
RE6*

September:
Dragon Quest XI S*
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3*
Link's Awakening *
SSB DLC #3*

October:
Luigi's Mansion 3*
REmake*

November:
Pokemon gen 8*
Doom Eternal*

December:
Animal Crossing*
RE0*
SSB DLC #4*

* means speculated date.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's not technically first party but Starlink is only like £18 for the starter kit with the Starfox levels. Is that good value? Is the base game relatively content rich? That seems really cheap for an unofficial Star Fox 3 that comes with a toy.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Jan 11, 2018

Heres hoping against hope... again. My heart can't take much more yearning for Retro's game only to suffer the devastation of it not being there with each passing direct/E3.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
If this is an internal position, it could come fairly early in the project (although probably not as early as MP4 presumably is). I imagine that Retro still uses the services of Mario Club and/or NOA Testing for their games for debug too.

It's absolutely for a prototype/early stage production as Nintendo has full testing departments for games that are in later stages of production.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
People are now speculating wildly about what Nintendo's plans are. I actually wished Nintendo would announce "no plans for this and that" to stop them from overhyping themselves.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
People are now speculating wildly about what Nintendo's plans are. I actually wished Nintendo would announce "no plans for this and that" to stop them from overhyping themselves.

It is best not to set the precedent of responding to rumors. Once you do, people will expect you to respond to all of them and interpret future non responses as either confirmation/denial of rumors.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
It is best not to set the precedent of responding to rumors.
Nintendo has only set precedents on commenting about rumors that have gone overboard. This is the only instance that I wished can be applied as soon as possible towards late February of this year, due to the Xbox/Nintendo rumors going around.

Unless they are keeping a close watch on this towards GDC in late March..., which in that case, I'll just ignore everything until announced.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
I'm thinking 2D Metroid will be a 2020 release as well.

I find it interesting that the first half is so jam packed with ports from 3rd parties. We have FF9, 7, x & x2, and 12 all releasing from now till April. Assassins Creed 3 in May, RE & RE0 collection and RE4 releasing in May. We may also get Crystal Chronicles in May or June. Makes me wonder if there are more interesting 3rd party projects lined up for the 2nd half of 2019. I think Doom Eternal is still scheduled for 2019. Yokai Watch and Inazuma Eleven may finally release on Switch this year.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking 2D Metroid will be a 2020 release as well.

I find it interesting that the first half is so jam packed with ports from 3rd parties. We have FF9, 7, x & x2, and 12 all releasing from now till April. Assassins Creed 3 in May, RE & RE0 collection and RE4 releasing in May. We may also get Crystal Chronicles in May or June. Makes me wonder if there are more interesting 3rd party projects lined up for the 2nd half of 2019. I think Doom Eternal is still scheduled for 2019. Yokai Watch and Inazuma Eleven may finally release on Switch this year.
Didn't last year have ports fill up the first half too?

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Didn't last year have ports fill up the first half too?
I'd say output tripled in terms of ports. I also forgot about team sonic racing and hellsblade which may also be releasing in May. I'd also argue games like Hellsblade, Dragons Dogma, Mortal Kombat 11, FF7, 9, X/X2 and 12, were titles that typically avoided Nintendo systems in the past. Assassin's creed 3, REmake/0 and RE4 were overdue. Still waiting on Batman Arkham ports. Super dragonball heroes could do decently as well on the Switch.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
speaking of Hellblade, I expect THQ Nordic to make a move on the game now that they're all but confirmed to be publishing Ori and maybe Cuphead

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Microsoft is the one who decides when these games will be revealed and released. THQ Nordic only does the physical publishing.
Hellblade was decided prior to the MS buyout, so I'm thinking MS is allowing Ninja Theory to decide how to proceed with the game's release. Nordic is already a physical partner for MS, so this is just the next logical step to make

Status
Not open for further replies.