• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Even maybe Labo VR support is included on that, either on Mario Kart or ARMS.
I could definitely see that too. Though, ARMS VR might not work the way most would imagine it (with Joy-Con motion controls) as the Labo Goggles require you to hold the system up to your face (leaving the Joy-Cons attached to the system). They might not bother because of that limitation.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A phone game isn't taking up a team like Mario Kart's up. I see a new IP or ARMS 2 from them. ARMS is not the type of game that needs a long development cycle.

I forgot they could be bringing back F-Zero or another old Nintendo IP.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
A phone game isn't taking up a team like Mario Kart's up. I see a new IP or ARMS 2 from them. ARMS is not the type of game that needs a long development cycle.

I forgot they could be bringing back F-Zero or another old Nintendo IP.
If we do see a new game from them in the next year and a bit (which i'm not really expecting, honestly), I feel confident in saying that it won't be ARMS 2. That seems like something that would be saved for the Switch's successor.

Tour isn't eating up all of their time, but I feel like a fairly big 8 Deluxe expansion might be the next console thing we see from them. Again, I really feel like this quote from last November will definitely end up applying to MK8DX:
Going forward, we plan to incorporate add-on content and other factors that will keep these titles in the spotlight, so they will continue to sell alongside the hardware.

Last edited:

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Yeah, I dont see any point of ARMS 2 on Switch, IMO higher chances are even for MK9 because MK8D is a Wii U game.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
I personally don't want them to do Mario Kart 9 until the next system. I didn't think Mario Kart 7 or 8 really did enough to make themselves just THAT much better than Mario Kart Wii or DS, so I want them to really think about how they can make MK9 really good beyond just "it's Mario Kart".

I'm aware that racing games can't exactly be changed too drastically between sequels and the like, but I just can't think of any potential improvements or gimmicks to the core gameplay. So I'd rather they actually go out and put out DLC for MK8D.

Modes are the easy part, it's the core gameplay where it needs the most justification if you ask me.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't want them to do Mario Kart 9 until the next system. I didn't think Mario Kart 7 or 8 really did enough to make themselves just THAT much better than Mario Kart Wii or DS, so I want them to really think about how they can make MK9 really good beyond just "it's Mario Kart".

I'm aware that racing games can't exactly be changed too drastically between sequels and the like, but I just can't think of any potential improvements or gimmicks to the core gameplay. So I'd rather they actually go out and put out DLC for MK8D.

Modes are the easy part, it's the core gameplay where it needs the most justification if you ask me.
Well the advantage of Mario Kart is that its a non realistic racer and that means that Nintendo is more flexible with introduxing new gameplay ideas. They'll figure it out. They're always in search for new gameplay ideas just like how a medical research firm researches new medicine.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
So far there's nothing that indicates a continuous support to evergreen titles; surprisingly, it's even smaller titles that receive updates like Capitan Todd. Mario Party severely lacks content yet nothing has been announced so far in that regard (that one really surprises me). Splatoon 2's content updates have stopped for 3 months and there is nothing indicating that they would release more stuff for that game (and if they did, that would be really WEIRD after announcing that December would be the final content update). Mario Kart has been out for nearly 2 years without anything new other than Labo compatibility, and it increasingly feels like the ship has sailed for new content (we were already saying that 6 months ago). Mario Odyssey receiving any update is also very very unlikely at this point; the game is also less green everyday and the combo NSMBU + Mario Maker 2 will probably reinforce this trend. We are already hearing stuff about the next Zelda for 2021...

Continuous support of those titles may eventually happen, we never know with Nintendo. But right now, it is far far far (far) more likely that Nintendo is in the middle of developing sequels for those games, or new unrelated games.
My bet is, since last year, that Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda and Splatoon would all have completely new games during the 2020-21 period (I can see Zelda being 2020 and Mario being 2021 for example, with 3D world releasing in 2020 for the yearly Mario fix). I can see Mario Kart 9 being introduced in 2020; maybe with an adventure mode, which in my opinion is way overdue and a good way to justify a new episode that wouldn't feel incremental. Splatoon 3, which I also predicted for 2020, is a little trickier. They could of course add new stages and weapons, maybe 1 a new mode, but I don't think they would get away with a 2.5 release and SPlatoon 2 had TONS of new stuff as compared to the first in a hindsight. I personally would prefer to receive expansions, but as the Octo-expansion showed us, those do not sell new base games.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Can't see anymore support for MK8D. It's a two year old port of a five year old game. I think, if there is going to be a new Mario Kart, then it's going to set itself apart in some way. I can see them just going the Nintendo Kart after 8's DLC where they just went: "Fuck it. Put Link in.", there's some other ways to set it apart as well. Arms showed me how inventive and clever Yubuki's team could be. Integration with Tour is also a strong possibility.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Honestly more than anything I just want to see new IP out of Nintendo.

Splatoon and ARMS both prove they're more than capable of crafting new worlds, so to see either the Zelda or Mario team work on something new would be exciting.

It's why I really hope the Aonuma thief game is a real thing and something we'd potentially see soon.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Can't see anymore support for MK8D. It's a two year old port of a five year old game. I think, if there is going to be a new Mario Kart, then it's going to set itself apart in some way. I can see them just going the Nintendo Kart after 8's DLC where they just went: "Fuck it. Put Link in.", there's some other ways to set it apart as well. Arms showed me how inventive and clever Yubuki's team could be. Integration with Tour is also a strong possibility.
I dunno, anything could happen really. I don't think anyone expected any DLC for Pokken or Captain Toad until they blindsided us (though they were more recent releases at the time compared to any theoretical 8DX DLC, to be fair). The random updates to 8DX last year with Labo support and BotW Link, again, came out of nowhere. I still feel like something will happen with that game this year (even if ends up being something simple, like more Labo support or Tour integration). Besides Captain Toad, we haven't seen any signs of that promise for more add-on content in existing games (let alone for the evergreen titles), so I really think something will happen in that regard.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

Well Mario Kart 8 in May will be 6 years old game, so for instance if having MK9 in around 2021. we talking about 8 years gap and offcourse that Nintendo in that time period would have plenty of new ideas compared to MK8.

So far there's nothing that indicates a continuous support to evergreen titles; surprisingly, it's even smaller titles that receive updates like Capitan Todd. Mario Party severely lacks content yet nothing has been announced so far in that regard (that one really surprises me). Splatoon 2's content updates have stopped for 3 months and there is nothing indicating that they would release more stuff for that game (and if they did, that would be really WEIRD after announcing that December would be the final content update). Mario Kart has been out for nearly 2 years without anything new other than Labo compatibility, and it increasingly feels like the ship has sailed for new content (we were already saying that 6 months ago). Mario Odyssey receiving any update is also very very unlikely at this point; the game is also less green everyday and the combo NSMBU + Mario Maker 2 will probably reinforce this trend. We are already hearing stuff about the next Zelda for 2021...

Continuous support of those titles may eventually happen, we never know with Nintendo. But right now, it is far far far (far) more likely that Nintendo is in the middle of developing sequels for those games, or new unrelated games.
My bet is, since last year, that Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda and Splatoon would all have completely new games during the 2020-21 period (I can see Zelda being 2020 and Mario being 2021 for example, with 3D world releasing in 2020 for the yearly Mario fix). I can see Mario Kart 9 being introduced in 2020; maybe with an adventure mode, which in my opinion is way overdue and a good way to justify a new episode that wouldn't feel incremental. Splatoon 3, which I also predicted for 2020, is a little trickier. They could of course add new stages and weapons, maybe 1 a new mode, but I don't think they would get away with a 2.5 release and SPlatoon 2 had TONS of new stuff as compared to the first in a hindsight. I personally would prefer to receive expansions, but as the Octo-expansion showed us, those do not sell new base games.

I expecting that Mario Party and Splatoon 2 will get updates, Mario Party was launched less than 6 months ago so there more than enough time for new content,
while Splatoon 2 is getting regular updates and events, so I can easily see more content also, but its not like its needed, updates and events are enough for Splatoon 2,
so I definitely not expecting Splatoon 2 on Switch because there is not point (sequel to sequel to onlinefocused game on same platform), but I could easily see some kind of Splatoon spinoff on current Switch.
MK9 is tricky one, MK8D is just a Wii U port and MK8 is already 6 years old game, but on other hand its still selling great,
so I could easily see MK9 on current Switch, but I wouldn't be surprised even if they save it for next gen and release for instance Diddy Kong Racing 2.
New 3D Mario and new 3D Zelda are coming in any case on current Switch, thats not even for debate.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Splatoon 2 is getting regular updates and events

It's not receiving updates anymore (or just minor ones, I haven't booted the game in 2019; but absolutely not new content). As for the events, we will see how far they will go with the splatfests; I'm guessing that the final one will be sometimes this summer, it will be a good timing. Announcing a DLC in that context would be really weird. If nothing is announced until E3, you can bet that they are keeping whatever new idea they have for Splatoon 3, and that it'll release in 2020, or 21 at the latest.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
It's not receiving updates anymore (or just minor ones, I haven't booted the game in 2019; but absolutely not new content). As for the events, we will see how far they will go with the splatfests; I'm guessing that the final one will be sometimes this summer, it will be a good timing. Announcing a DLC in that context would be really weird. If nothing is announced until E3, you can bet that they are keeping whatever new idea they have for Splatoon 3, and that it'll release in 2020, or 21 at the latest.
Actually, despite saying that we wouldn't be getting any "new" content after last year, they announced in January that the Sheldon's Picks weapon variants from the first game would be coming to 2 later this year. I guess the trick there is that those weapons technically aren't "new" (as they appeared in the first game), but it's still new content nonetheless.

Beyond that, the game still receives decently-sized balance patches (with one literally releasing yesterday) and will probably continue to receive a few more even after the final Splatfest, so it's still getting attention.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Actually, despite saying that we wouldn't be getting any "new" content after last year, they announced in January that the Sheldon's Picks weapon variants from the first game would be coming to 2 later this year. I guess the trick there is that those weapons technically aren't "new" (as they appeared in the first game), but it's still new content nonetheless.

Beyond that, the game is still receives decently-sized balance patches (with one literally releasing yesterday), so it's still getting attention.

Wasn't there an early datamining showing that all of the stage of Splatoon 1 were in Splatoon 2 as well? They could release those left this year, maybe...
What I mean is that they do not seem to be developing new stuff for the game. Actually, the last thing they developed was probably the octo-expansion and until December, there was an intern pressing the "update" button every month to release new weapons and stages.
In my opinion, they started developing Splatoon 3 early 2018 if not late 2017, for a targeted release in 2020 (summer?). We'll see soon enough. It could also be a spin-off. But I doubt that they will let the IP dormant more than 2 years (December 2018- December 2020).

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

Latest update was released yestreday and it wasnt exactly small one
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/03/nintendo_releases_patch_notes_for_latest_splatoon_2_update

They are continuing with events, and they said Sheldon's Picks weapon variants will come this year, and like I wrote,
its not like content is needed, updates and events are enough for Splatoon 2.
I dont see Splatoon 3 current Switch because there is no point of need, Splatoon is game per platform similar like MK or Smash, Nintendo will not release Splatoon game around every 3 years because Splatoon is not 3D Mario.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
What I mean is that they do not seem to be developing new stuff for the game. Actually, the last thing they developed was probably the octo-expansion and until December, there was an intern pressing the "update" button every month to release new weapons and stages.
In my opinion, they started developing Splatoon 3 early 2018 if not late 2017, for a targeted release in 2020 (summer?). We'll see soon enough. It could also be a spin-off. But I doubt that they will let the IP dormant more than 2 years (December 2018- December 2020).
I feel like a spin-off (idol, rhythm, platformer; whatever) is infinitely more likely than Splatoon 3 right now. Just like with a potential ARMS 2, I just don't see the point in it now; and unlike ARMS, Splatoon 2 still has a very active online user-base (thanks to Japan), and a sequel would simply kill off one of Nintendo's main evergreen titles.

Also, it seems like you've forgotten that EPD 5 has been busy with Animal Crossing. You really think we'll see another game from them just a year afterwards?

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I feel like a spin-off (idol, rhythm, platformer; whatever) is infinitely more likely than Splatoon 3 right now. Just like with a potential ARMS 2, I just don't see the point in it now; and unlike ARMS, Splatoon 2 still has a very active online user-base (thanks to Japan), and a sequel would simply kill off one of Nintendo's main evergreen titles.

Also, it seems like you've forgotten that EPD 5 has been busy with Animal Crossing. You really think we'll see another game from them just a year afterwards?
An idol/rhythm game would be absolutely amazing

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Splatoon 3 doesn't seem necessary. I'd think they'd follow the same of one multiplayer title per system like Mario Kart and Smash.

Not every single game needs a sequel on Switch. The point to having a combined system is that some of these teams can make new IP's or bring back old franchises.I don't want sequels to every game on Switch. I want new single player IP's.

Make a Splatoon spin-off. The franchise is big now. It can get spinoffs like Mario does. Expand the franchise into different avenues and save Splatoon 3 for the next system.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

Did you think we would see Splatoon 2 just 2 years after the first 1?
Also, I strongly doubt that Nintendo's development teams are some monolithic entities which tackle one specific project at a time. Animal Crossing is most likely close to completion if it releases in September.
In 4 years, Nintendo will have released: Splatoon 2 with a shitload of new stuff, the Octo-Expansion (which had lots of content as well, and was borderline a new game), and a New Animal Crossing. They can absolutely release a new game in 2020, may it be a spin-off (which you agree with) or a new entry. I'm just betting on a new entry first and foremost.

Sorry to be the one breaking it to you, but that update is exactly what qualifies as small. It's literally just bug corrections and weapon balancing.
As far as we know, Nintendo is not currently developing new content for the game, and probably has not in almost a year.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Did you think we would see Splatoon 2 just 2 years after the first 1?
Also, I strongly doubt that Nintendo's development teams are some monolithic entities which tackle one specific project at a time. Animal Crossing is most likely close to completion if it releases in September.
In 4 years, Nintendo will have released: Splatoon 2 with a shitload of new stuff, the Octo-Expansion (which had lots of content as well, and was borderline a new game), and a New Animal Crossing. They can absolutely release a new game in 2020, may it be a spin-off (which you agree with) or a new entry. I'm just betting on a new entry first and foremost.
Sure, most of that is valid, but I just don't get why you have so much faith in a sequel. I could see a spin-off, sure, but Splatoon 3 in 2020 seems absolutely pointless, and I haven't really seen any argument to the contrary. Splatoon 2 came out two years after the original, sure, but they were on different consoles, unlike this proposed Splatoon 3. I mean

Do we, as the players, really want to go through that slow release of content AGAIN, on the same console?

Does Nintendo want to go and kill off one of the big evergreen titles that they brag about in every earnings release?

Is it really worth killing off an established online community for a sequel that doesn't even need to exist?

Would the team behind it really be that enthusiastic about working on another main-series Splatoon game after the original, the sequel and the Octo Expansion, all within four years?

The answer to all of those questions is probably no.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I expect some bigger changes to Splatoon 3. To me Splatoon 2 was a priority because of how big Splatoon became in Japan and they worked on Splatoon 2 as fast as they could for Switch. I see bigger changes from Splatoon 2—>Splatoon 3 compared to Splatoon—>Splatoon 2.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Yeah, Splatoon 3 on current Switch from multply reasons dont make sense,
and I didn't see any good argument why Nintendo should/would release Splatoon 3 on current Switch.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Splatoon 2 came out two years after the original, sure, but they were on different consoles, unlike this proposed Splatoon 3. I mean

Do we, as the players, really want to go through that slow release of content AGAIN, on the same console?

Another part of my prophecy which is now almost a year old is that Nintendo was going to release a Pro model in 2020, and would basically give up on the concept of console generations.

Regarding your other points: splatoon 2 still sells well, but it's not as evergreen as other titles such as Mario Kart (for which I also expect a sequel "soon", that being said), even in Japan. Where will it be in 2020, without new content for 1.5 years and many other games to compete with on the system?
As for the community, I only speak for myself of course, but I'm a simple person. I see Splatoon, I buy.

The strongest argument for me supporting the fact that they are developing a new game is that they stopped developing for the current one; Splatoon is very different from Mario Kart or Mario Party, it's a competitive online shooter and part of its relevancy comes from staying fresh with a regular stream of new stuff. And after 1.5-2 years, the squids are going to start smelling. For this reason, among other, 2020 is my bet for the third entry. It could be 2021, but not later. Let's discuss again about that during E3 2020.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Is EPD3 big enough to do Link's Awakening and BotW 2? I guess they do get a lot of support studios on BotW style Zelda's like Monolith Soft so it's possible.
EPD3 is as big as it needs to be. Again, there is no such thing as studio-level "teams" ...you have a core lead producer/designer group and then they take however many people they need form the EPD pool. Always been like that. Reminder that they made BotW, ALBW, WWHD plus HW supervision then continuing with BotW, MM3D, TFH co-dev, TPHD at the same time.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I mean I expect some bigger changes to Splatoon 3. To me Splatoon 2 was a priority because of how big Splatoon became in Japan and they worked on Splatoon 2 as fast as they could for Switch. I see bigger changes from Splatoon 2—>Splatoon 3 compared to Splatoon—>Splatoon 2.
Yeah, we probably will see bigger changes when Splatoon 3 eventually releases, but I don't think it will come anytime soon, let alone in 2020. Just like ARMS 2, I think we'll see that on the Switch's successor.

Another part of my prophecy which is now almost a year old is that Nintendo was going to release a Pro model in 2020, and would basically give up on the concept of console generations.

Regarding your other points: splatoon 2 still sells well, but it's not as evergreen as other titles such as Mario Kart (for which I also expect a sequel "soon", that being said), even in Japan. Where will it be in 2020, without new content for 1.5 years and many other games to compete with on the system?
As for the community, I only speak for myself of course, but I'm a simple person. I see Splatoon, I buy.

The strongest argument for me supporting the fact that they are developing a new game is that they stopped developing for the current one; Splatoon is very different from Mario Kart or Mario Party, it's a competitive online shooter and part of its relevancy comes from staying fresh with a regular stream of new stuff. And after 1.5-2 years, the squids are going to start smelling. For this reason, among other, 2020 is my bet for the third entry. It could be 2021, but not later. Let's discuss again about that during E3 2020.
That's all fair enough, but for me I just simply don't see the value of it happening so soon, and the idea really doesn't interest or excite me. A spin-off in any other genre seems like a better idea to me if they really want to give the IP another game so soon. Even a mobile game is more likely as a 2020 title in my eyes.

I guess we'll see next year though, but i'm just not feeling it right now. After a year and a half of post-release support, I think Splatoon 2 is strong enough now to last for a few years, even without any fresh content.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Splatoon 3 is definitely happening on switch

I can feel it on my tentacles. And I want it to happen cause Splatoon 1 > 2. 2 was good but still lacked so much things which could improve the game.

I played Splatoon 1 for like 2 years straight and then 2 for only like 4 months -___- . It was just a meh experience for me compared to 1. I Soo wish they brought back the bubbler :/

Unlike Mario kart and smash which offer up a whole array of local multiplayer, Splatoon is online only. You need to refresh every year/ couple of years to keep players that have stopped playing to come back.

Also it's funny switch still doesn't have it's " Own" Mario kart, it's own original Zelda game, paper Mario, Mario and Luigi series. So much in th pipeline

Last edited:

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

We still talking about same platform in case, Pro is not new platform.

Splatoon is much weaker IP than MK in any case (its weaker than Smash Bros and 3D Mario also), so its expected to sell less and Splatoon 3 wouldn't change anything in that regard, also worth mentioning thatt Splatoon 2 still has very good sales espacily in Japan (for instance last week sold 8k with digital sales probably around 10k and thats quite impresive more than 1.5 years after launch).
Games like MK, Smash and espacily Splatoon (saying especially because its online focused) are "one game per platform" type of games.
Splatoon 2 is not really competing with other games on system because its very unique and different to any other game, but actually releasing Splatoon 3 would mean that two sequels would compete among each other and that dont make too much sense, userbase would be divided.

Thats not exactly good argument, at one point they need to stop releasing new content for every game, that doesnt mean that sequel is coming soon or on this Switch, saying that, Splatoon 2 still getting regular updates and events and it will have more content this year.
Mario Party and Splatoon 2 are totally different type of games, Splatoon is much more like MK or Smash, type of game that is playing hole consoles life span and where you dont need sequel, while we had multiply Mario Party games per platform before.

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Splatoon 3 is the groundhog day in these threads.

My bet is that some dead sports ip will be revived as a spin off from Splatoon, like Wave Racer or 1080º. Ink Racer sounds much more interesting than anything that Wave Racer could offer.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

I can feel it on my tentacles. And I want it to happen cause Splatoon 1 > 2. 2 was good but still lacked so much things which could improve the game.

I played Splatoon 1 for like 2 years straight and then 2 for only like 4 months -___- . It was just a meh experience for me compared to 1. I Soo wish they brought back the bubbler :/

Unlike Mario kart and smash which offer up a whole array of local multiplayer, Splatoon is online only. You need to refresh every year/ couple of years to keep players that have stopped playing to come back.

Also it's funny switch still doesn't have it's " Own" Mario kart, it's own original Zelda game, paper Mario, Mario and Luigi series. So much in th pipeline
This isn't coming from any insider knowledge, right? Just personal speculation (at least for the Splatoon part)? Personally, i'm just not feeling it yet; 2020 feels too soon for it.

Splatoon 3 is the groundhog day in these threads.

My bet is that some dead sports ip will be revived as a spin off from Splatoon, like Wave Racer or 1080º.
Oh, it definitely wouldn't be Wave Race. The Inklings don't really take well to water.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This isn't coming from any insider knowledge, right? Just personal speculation (at least for the Splatoon part)? Personally, i'm just not feeling it yet; 2020 feels too soon.

Oh, it definitely wouldn't be Wave Race. The Inklings don't really take well to water.
They can run in ink instead of water, they could create an interesting mechanic with that and they could make much more visually interesting tracks than Wave Racer.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This isn't coming from any insider knowledge, right? Just personal speculation (at least for the Splatoon part)? Personally, i'm just not feeling it yet; 2020 feels too soon for it.

Yes. I'm so done with Splatoon 2. I need 3 but with it I hope they take some series feedback cause boy they sure don't like to

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Real Paper Mario would do so well on Switch. I don't think it gets revealed until a January/February 2020 direct, but I expect it will be a big deal and we'll know that if Nintendo shows off the RPG elements from the reveal video. Color Splash was such a "ho-hum" reveal.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Real Paper Mario would do so well on Switch. I don't think it gets revealed until a January/February 2020 direct, but I expect it will be a big deal and we'll know that if Nintendo shows off the RPG elements from the reveal video. Color Splash was such a "ho-hum" reveal.
Don't get your hopes up for a "real" Paper Mario man, you know you'll be let down. Based on interviews post-Color Splash, they'll probably just keep trying new things from now on.

The best anyone could hope for would be a remake of the original two games. It helped Mario & Luigi get its identity and original characters back, so maybe it could do some good here.

Also here's an obligatory "Color Splash is good, you guys are just mean" from me.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope EPD 9 is doing Mario Kart since the wait from MK8 to a next gen MK9 would be like a decade otherwise. Even if they aren't though, the Switch really lacks in 1st party racing games. Do F-Zero, Wave Race, or something. I'm a bit sad that the Star Fox Grand Prix rumor may not be real.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope EPD 9 is doing Mario Kart since the wait from MK8 to a next gen MK9 would be like a decade otherwise. Even if they aren't though, the Switch really lacks in 1st party racing games. Do F-Zero, Wave Race, or something. I'm a bit sad that the Star Fox Grand Prix rumor may not be real.
I'd like to see them bring back an old franchise.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get your hopes up for a "real" Paper Mario man, you know you'll be let down. Based on interviews post-Color Splash, they'll probably just keep trying new things from now on.

The best anyone could hope for would be a remake of the original two games. It helped Mario & Luigi get its identity and original characters back, so maybe it could do some good here.

Also here's an obligatory "Color Splash is good, you guys are just mean" from me.
I don't even know about remakes at this point. They would do it in the color splash style which would ruin the visual point and style of the first two games, plus change the looks of enemies to the modern style, like goomba, Koopas, hammer bros, boss, etc. Just give me straight hd ports.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can pray Tanabe has no say in Paper Mario anymore. That quote from him was in 2016. I honestly don't care what he says. Those reviews have to speak to Nintendo. Dropped big time with SS and CS. I hope Nintendo listens to the fans.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017

Information is pointing to several core members working on Mario Kart Tour for mobile. I could then see the other half reusing ARMS work for a less resource intensive Arms 2. I wonder if Nintendo gives that series another turn.

I can pray Tanabe has no say in Paper Mario anymore. That quote from him was in 2016. I honestly don't care what he says. Those reviews have to speak to Nintendo. Dropped big time with SS and CS. I hope Nintendo listens to the fans.

It's his series. Can't see that changing. Tanabe just took over WarioWare too.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Information is pointing to several core members working on Mario Kart Tour for mobile. I could then see the other half reusing ARMS work for a less resource intensive Arms 2. I wonder if Nintendo gives that series another turn.

It's his series. Can't see that changing. Tanabe just took over WarioWare too.
Omg Warioware is dead now. Just joking. Why did he get put in charge to overlook these series? Idk who used to do it.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Oh that's pretty interesting they are doing Tour. I had thought it was that separate mobile team from the OP. I am curious then what that could mean for their next project.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
Omg Warioware is dead now. Just joking. Why did he get put in charge to overlook these series? Idk who used to do it.
I'm not exactly sure why he got in charge of WarioWare except for the fact that the staff was mainly composed of the Paper Mario team. Tanabe's role has been shifted a bit back in recent years (if this was the Wii / Wii U era, he would have been Producer of Snipperclips and the Ubisoft crossovers).

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You do know that in this case Tanabe would be "Nintendo", right? lol

I'm not exactly sure why he got in charge of WarioWare except for the fact that the staff was mainly composed of the Paper Mario team. Tanabe's role has been shifted a bit back in recent years (if this was the Wii / Wii U era, he would have been Producer of Snipperclips and the Ubisoft crossovers).

He's producer of Metroid Prime 4 which is now with Retro so it's a bit how it was before.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't count on it or expect it. It's going to be what they said...another new direction for the series. They already said mario and luigi is the mario rpg if people want a mario rpg.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't count on it or expect it. It's going to be what they said...another new direction for the series. They already said mario and luigi is the mario rpg if people want a mario rpg.
We'll see about that. I'll take the bet it will be a return to form. I really don't care what he said in an interview years ago.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see about that. I'll take the bet it will be a return to form. I really don't care what he said in an interview years ago.
Trust me, I would love so so much to be wrong about this. I just don't buy that just because odyssey being made the way it was from ead and koizumi means that it will bring back paper mario to form.

Status
Not open for further replies.