• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
And yet some people are aprehensive about Intelligent Systems' Fire Emblem Three Houses since it looks rather unlike the 3DS games as well as the pre-Awakening titles, so not much of a return to what the fans demand there. Yes, Tanabe and Yamagami are different producers, but neither of them produced Odyssey, Super Mario Party or Mario Tennis Aces. If "return majority of series to form" is a directive, it's pretty inconsistently applied.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And yet some people are aprehensive about Intelligent Systems' Fire Emblem Three Houses since it looks rather unlike the 3DS games as well as the pre-Awakening titles, so not much of a return to what the fans demand there. Yes, Tanabe and Yamagami are different producers, but neither of them produced Odyssey, Super Mario Party or Mario Tennis Aces. If "return majority of series to form" is a directive, it's pretty inconsistently applied.
I didn't know Fire Emblem had a genre change. :/

Like it's not even the same comparison. It's not like Fire Emblem had 10 point drops critically.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I completely agree with Nintendo on the Mario RPG issue: You only need one ip per console. And Paper Mario offers more possibilities to expand to other genres than Mario and Luigi

Having both at the same time would be like having Pokémon Sword/Shield and Pokémon Colosseum 3 at the same time.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played Super Paper Mario (mainly the semi genre shift)

but I was watching random cutscnes and listening to music.
I'll never play it, but it definitely had some interesting ideas and story.

Listen to Memory 1,2,3,4 and seeing the ending screen. That was a moment. PM always has good music though.
and I don't even know the characters lol.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree with Nintendo on the Mario RPG issue: You only need one ip per console. And Paper Mario offers more possibilities to expand to other genres than Mario and Luigi

Having both at the same time would be like having Pokémon Sword/Shield and Pokémon Colosseum 3 at the same time.
Both can thrive.
But even if you say we don't need both...

At moment we have none. And the sales of both have fallen off a cliff. So either way they messed up.
And currently there's no hint of an incoming Mario RPG since AlphaDream is tiny and did 2 remakes in 2 years. So they're off the book for years.
And Int Sys is struggling to get out FE, but that may have no overlap with the team doing PM. I still think PM is 2020, but as it stands, we'd go 3 years into Switch's life with no Mario RPG representation. So that's a problem.

I don't think the pokemon comparison is apt.

But what's funny, considering how Battle Revolution looked on Wii presentation wise, and how Sword/Shield looks graphically...
yea, I'd buy the heck out of a Colloseum that did some unique things gameplay wise. Maybe became more of a party game with some battling. Maybe be a mashup of pokemon stuff and have some Snap. Who knows.

Real Paper Mario would do so well on Switch. I don't think it gets revealed until a January/February 2020 direct, but I expect it will be a big deal and we'll know that if Nintendo shows off the RPG elements from the reveal video. Color Splash was such a "ho-hum" reveal.
CS was maybe the worst recent reveal for a big-ish Nintendo game....that I can remember off the top of my head.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Both can thrive.
But even if you say we don't need both...

At moment we have none. And the sales of both have fallen off a cliff. So either way they messed up.
And currently there's no hint of an incoming Mario RPG since AlphaDream is tiny and did 2 remakes in 2 years. So they're off the book for years.
And Int Sys is struggling to get out FE, but that may have no overlap with the team doing PM. I still think PM is 2020, but as it stands, we'd go 3 years into Switch's life with no Mario RPG representation. So that's a problem.

I don't think the pokemon comparison is apt.

But what's funny, considering how Battle Revolution looked on Wii presentation wise, and how Sword/Shield looks graphically...
yea, I'd buy the heck out of a Colloseum that did some unique things gameplay wise. Maybe became more of a party game with some battling. Maybe be a mashup of pokemon stuff and have some Snap. Who knows.

CS was maybe the worst recent reveal for a big-ish Nintendo game....that I can remember off the top of my head.
Except that Sticker Star is the second best selling Paper Mario. If we have to count the state of Paper Mario for sales on Wii U there are many other ip that should change drastically.

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team sold great, the problem came when they saturated the market with remakes. You can not use the sales of Paper Mario Color Splash on Wii U as an argument and then justify that Super Paper Mario sold more than TTYD just because Wii > Game Cube. It's hypocritical.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Except that Sticker Star is the second best selling Paper Mario. If we have to count the state of Paper Mario for sales on Wii U there are many other ip that should change drastically.

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team sold great, the problem came when they saturated the market with remakes. You can not use the sales of Paper Mario Color Splash on Wii U as an argument and then justify that Super Paper Mario sold more than TTYD just because Wii > Game Cube. It's hypocritical.
The Wii U bombed, but it have the ability to support some successful games.
Color Splash did poorly, even for being on Wii U.
official numbers we have are in Japan it did 65k (Famitsu). Which is awful. The next lowest Paper Mario is 409k.

And that it didn't cross 1 million WW. In NPD it did ~100k according to aqua first month which is good enough, but nothing known after that.
The issue is other games with similar "selling power" for lack of a better phrase did much better. The game didn't help itself. You can't ignore the reaction to the game.
I never brought up SPM or Wii so not sure if you're responding to something else.

Dream Team sold...okay. It's the second highest M&L at 2.58m, but that''s like 60% of its direct predecessor, so it's in a weird not good, not bad place.
Also, there have been 3 games since Dream Team, and 6 years.

Paper Jam barely crossed 1 million.
The next two didn't even cross 1 million

So back to what I said, sales fell off a cliff.
--------
I think a PM on Switch will sell very well. It's just when will it happen (hopefully 2020), and how well are we talking. Otherwise, both franchises are not being utilized correctly.
That's 4 straight games of underperforming.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played Super Paper Mario (mainly the semi genre shift)

but I was watching random cutscnes and listening to music.
I'll never play it, but it definitely had some interesting ideas and story.

Listen to Memory 1,2,3,4 and seeing the ending screen. That was a moment. PM always has good music though.
and I don't even know the characters lol.
Super Paper Mario, which I do love, is really weird because it barely wants to be a Mario game. Yes, it has Mario characters and returns to platforming, but basically everything else is completely original, from the NPC and town design, to the settings of different worlds/dimensions, to a plot that isn't good vs evil, but good vs oblivion, and how it still keeps a love story between original characters at its center. I think the game works really well as the experimental weird one of the series, like Majora's Mask is to Zelda. While I do think the series should in general stay grounded in a more Mario-esque setting, they obviously went too safe with the sequels.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
If a new Paper Mario gets revealed they'll announce it by showing the RPG battle system and weird characters, like they did the slopes for Mario Maker. I don't buy for a second that Nintendo is going to ignore the fans on that one. But that's if they're doing a new game.

Even in the Prime 4 press release the only thing they felt worthwile to mention about the game was how they'd go back to the isolation and exploration of the first game. And who's the producer on that one? The writing is on the wall, there's no use to be overly pessimistic about this.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Information is pointing to several core members working on Mario Kart Tour for mobile. I could then see the other half reusing ARMS work for a less resource intensive ARMS 2. I wonder if Nintendo gives that series another turn.
Asset reuse or not, I feel like the sequel (which I do eventually see happening) would be best saved for the next system.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The Wii U bombed, but it have the ability to support some successful games.
Color Splash did poorly, even for being on Wii U.
official numbers we have are in Japan it did 65k (Famitsu). Which is awful. The next lowest Paper Mario is 409k.

And that it didn't cross 1 million WW. In NPD it did ~100k according to aqua first month which is good enough, but nothing known after that.
The issue is other games with similar "selling power" for lack of a better phrase did much better. The game didn't help itself. You can't ignore the reaction to the game.
I never brought up SPM or Wii so not sure if you're responding to something else.

Dream Team sold...okay. It's the second highest M&L at 2.58m, but that''s like 60% of its direct predecessor, so it's in a weird not good, not bad place.
Also, there have been 3 games since Dream Team, and 6 years.

Paper Jam barely crossed 1 million.
The next two didn't even cross 1 million

So back to what I said, sales fell off a cliff.
--------
I think a PM on Switch will sell very well. It's just when will it happen (hopefully 2020), and how well are we talking. Otherwise, both franchises are not being utilized correctly.
That's 4 straight games of underperforming.
Color Splash was the last exclusive of Wii U. That also counts.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
If a new Paper Mario gets revealed they'll announce it by showing the RPG battle system, like they did the slopes for Mario Maker. I don't buy for a second that Nintendo is going to ignore the fans on that one. But that's if they're doing a new game.

Even in the Prime 4 press release the only thing they felt worthwile to mention about the game was how they'd go back to the isolation and exploration of the first game. And who's the producer on that one? The writing is on the wall, there's no use to be overly pessimistic about this.
I'm pretty confident and hopeful on Paper Mario.

Int Sys is big in size, capable of HD, etc, and have steadily released Paper Mario's every 3-5 years for 2 decades. That's not changing imo
-------
I think M&L will continue....sometime. But M&L is more of a question mark than PM.

It's actually kind of weird the numerous threads we've gotten recently about "is PM and M&L" dead. And people saying Paper Mario lol.
Definitely not PM if anything

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If a new Paper Mario gets revealed they'll announce it by showing the RPG battle system and weird characters, like they did the slopes for Mario Maker. I don't buy for a second that Nintendo is going to ignore the fans on that one. But that's if they're doing a new game.

Yep just like I was saying. The first reveal of the new Paper Mario would show the RPG elements back so fans know the series has returned. Maybe they'd show partners too.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If Mario and Luigi ceases to exist, I would not mind if Paper Mario is RPG again. But having both announced at Switch is a hard pass, a waste in resources.

And Color Splash and Super Paper Mario show that they can make great Paper Mario without RPG.

By the way, the argument "Paper Mario was first" does not help either because AlphaDream is formed by the creators of Mario RPG.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Color Splash was the last exclusive of Wii U. That also counts.
hm, I can go with that. If Color Splash launched in 2014, perhaps this conversation would be different.

Pokken, Yoshi, XenoX did better, but were 2015 games. 2016 had Star Fox bombing and Paper Mario bombing.
in 2016, Twilight Princess did decently, but that's Twilight Princess...
However, I still hold that Color Splash did not help itself. And that the reviews and reception did matter. And will likely matter going forward.

Either way, I think PM is for sure continuing and will release an entry on Switch, which will sell well regardless.

The question is will it sell ~2m, or closer to ~4-5m, and will the gameplay change. (and if so, will the gameplay even matter to sales)

Asset reuse or not, I feel like the sequel (which I do eventually see happening) would be best saved for the next system.
i agree. Wait until Switch 2.

Reuse stuff. Make an interesting story with some basic cutscenes with dumb interactions, and I'll probably get it ha.
Not expecting emotional writing or crazy developments, just give the characters purpose since the art gave them personality.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
hm, I can go with that. If Color Splash launched in 2014, perhaps this conversation would be different.

Pokken, Yoshi, XenoX did better, but were 2015 games. 2016 had Star Fox bombing and Paper Mario bombing.
in 2016, Twilight Princess did decently, but that's Twilight Princess...

Either way, I think PM is for sure continuing and will release an entry on Switch, which will sell well regardless.

The question is will it sell ~2m, or closer to ~4-5m, and will the gameplay change. (and if so, will the gameplay even matter to sales)

i agree. Wait until Switch 2.

Reuse stuff. Make an interesting story with some basic cutscenes with dumb interactions, and I'll probably get it ha.
Not expecting emotional writing or crazy developments, just give the characters purpose since the art gave them personality.

Yes, I am also sure that Paper Mario is going to have a game on Switch. They can reuse many HD-assets of high quality from Color Splash.

What I'm not sure is how it will be the gameplay but whatever they do I have faith that it will be good.

We also know that AlphaDream are hiring people to work at Switch but I am not sure exactly what they are going to do.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Super Paper Mario, which I do love, is really weird because it barely wants to be a Mario game. Yes, it has Mario characters and returns to platforming, but basically everything else is completely original, from the NPC and town design, to the settings of different worlds/dimensions, to a plot that isn't good vs evil, but good vs oblivion, and how it still keeps a love story between original characters at its center. I think the game works really well as the experimental weird one of the series, like Majora's Mask is to Zelda. While I do think the series should in general stay grounded in a more Mario-esque setting, they obviously went too safe with the sequels.
Yeah, I always from a distance found it a little weird.
and almost went too far away from Mario stuff. But it is interesting though again I'll likely never play it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if Mario gets a new RPG, I'm pretty certain it won't be paper mario, but a new style. something that looks more akin to the 3D mario games, or Mario + Rabbids. Color Splash on Switch might be the last PM game we'll see

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The issue with Nintendo only wanting one RPG series is they picked M&L over Paper Mario. I think the general consensus is the traditional Paper Mario rpgs were better than M&L

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I hope EPD 9 is doing Mario Kart since the wait from MK8 to a next gen MK9 would be like a decade otherwise. Even if they aren't though, the Switch really lacks in 1st party racing games. Do F-Zero, Wave Race, or something. I'm a bit sad that the Star Fox Grand Prix rumor may not be real.

It would be amazing if they were working on a new F-Zero; the team definitely has some love for that franchise, judging by the F-Zero courses in Mario Kart 8. Not that I'm getting my hopes up over something incredibly unlikely like that.

On a related note, I got to play AX in an arcade today. I had a blast! Even if we don't get a new F-Zero, some sort of re-release of GX/AX needs to happen at some point.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
if Mario gets a new RPG, I'm pretty certain it won't be paper mario, but a new style. something that looks more akin to the 3D mario games, or Mario + Rabbids. Color Splash on Switch might be the last PM game we'll see

PM's consistently released games every 3-5 years for 15 years.
I don't see that changing unless something points to the contrary.

The issue with Nintendo only wanting one RPG series is they picked M&L over Paper Mario. I think the general consensus is the traditional Paper Mario rpgs were better than M&L
I prefer PM, but that's definitely not a consensus that PM is better.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Aren't the Mario & Luigi games a spiritual successor to the original Super Mario RPG, with several people who made that game going on to make the M&L games? I could see why Nintendo picked that series as the RPG series over Paper Mario.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
AlphaDream was hiring people with HD experience and iirc dataminers found out the remakes were finished a while ago. Unless they're doing something new (as in, not M&L) I wouldn't think their new game is that far off. Probably not 2019 though, year seems mostly full already.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
AlphaDream was hiring people with HD experience and iirc dataminers found out the remakes were finished a while ago. Unless they're doing something new (as in, not M&L) I wouldn't think their new game is that far off. Probably not 2019 though, year seems mostly full already.
This is news to me. When did they find that the games were done?

My only issue with alphadream is how small they are and needed help to even do 3DS 3D.(vanpool)
So they're going to need a bigger codeveloper for a Switch game.

Prunus

Sep 6, 2018
I don't know if you guys have talked about this already, but German retailer Saturn is listing Super Mario Maker 2 coming on the 28th of June. It's a friday so it could be them revealing it too early, maybe?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is news to me. When did they find that the games were done?

My only issue with alphadream is how small they are and needed help to even do 3DS 3D.(vanpool)
So they're going to need a bigger codeveloper for a Switch game.
when the first remake launched. they worked on Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story at the same time

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017

Not saying you are wrong. But as far as the team is concerned I could see Production Group No. 9 having a small team on MK mobile, and a small team on Arms 2 for Switch. Reason the timing would make sense, I believe right after mobile it's all about Mario Kart 9 which will be a massive team with no room for Arms 2 in the foreseeable future.

boyifyoudont

Feb 10, 2018
New interviews were posted on the Nintendo JP site (on creating Labo: Vehicle Kit from scratch, challenges developing BOTW's horse riding movement, doing new things in Mario games (ex: MT Aces), creating terrain gimmicks fast and smoothly for Splatoon 2, making games complying with overseas laws, and managing the data analysis systems for the network)
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/jobs/keyword/

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
New interviews were posted on the Nintendo JP site (on creating Labo: Vehicle Kit from scratch, challenges developing BOTW's horse riding movement, doing new things in Mario games (ex: MT Aces), creating terrain gimmicks fast and smoothly for Splatoon 2, making games complying with overseas laws, and managing the data analysis systems for the network)

Kawamoto and EPD Prod Group 4 are definitely the lead team on Switch.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018

detail43_img02.jpg

I love everything about this image.

morromocotudo

Nov 19, 2017
Retro Studios is hiring an Art Outsourcing Manager

Essential Duties:
  • Principal point of contact between stakeholder departments and art outsourcing vendors.
  • Ability to understand and communicate Art Director's vision and ensure that outsourced art assets maintain that vision.
  • Create, manage, and track outsourcing schedules; coordinate with leadership and production to meet deliverable timelines and identify risks.
  • Collaborate with stake holders to identify art assets appropriate for outsourcing vendors.
  • Generate and coordinate the preparation of documentation, reference art, examples of art asset production, and procedures to achieve the best outcomes from outsourcing vendors.
  • Coordinates regular communication with outsourcing vendors and identifies when additional communication is necessary to ensure the sustained quality of deliverables.
  • Manages integration and/or able to integrate final outsourced assets into our in-house engine for evaluation.
  • Coordinates and provides clear, concise and timely feedback to third party vendors to achieve the goals of the studio.
  • Build or enhance art outsourcing vendor relationships, develops testing protocols to art outsourcing vendors and negotiate contracts, scope and objectives for outsourcing vendors.
  • Manages approval gates, naming conventions, inspection practices, and may improve general outsourcing practices.
  • Collaborates with stakeholders to develop or enhance systems, tools and processes to manage third party vendors and their deliverables.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the recent job listings are definitely for Metroid Prime. though product testing could be for whatever they're finishing up now

Jan 11, 2018
Unrelated thoughts:

1. Art director on Metroid Prime 4 has a GARGANTUAN task ahead of them.
2. Paper Mario is most certainly coming to Switch, probably next year of the year after.
3. Alpha Dream needs a shakeup... Give us a Wario & Waluigi Rpg.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know which EPD Group is handling production of Yoshi's Crafted World?

I imagine it is either EPD PG 2 or 6 based on their portfolios.

Status
Not open for further replies.