• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't see any way where BotW 2 makes it out next year. Zelda team is slow, even for a straightforward sequel. Last time they had a quick turnaround was 20 years ago with MM.

I think Odyssey 2 is a lock for holiday 2020. I would also be delighted if we possibly get Captain Toad 2 as well.

I do think Metroid 5 is coming, but I think it will be a 2021 game (with Prime 4 in either 2022 or 2023). Three years seems like a short time for Sakamoto and the MS handheld team, neither of which has made a 3D game lately, letalone an HD one.

I do think 2020 will finally be the year that we see Pikmin 4, and it's likely to be released in 2020 as well.

Bayonetta 3 for sure... Possibly a March game.

Paper Mario Switch could also be coming, though I'm not sure how efficient Inty Sys is tackling two big HD projects at once... I wouldn't be surprised if this slipped to 2021. Though, I wonder if maybe Alpha Dream would possibly assist them. According to Wiki they are 46 people, so I'm not sure they could make an HD game of their own, but instead get the new Paper Mario out the door ealier.

Arms 2 is another obvious one

Retro Studios... Who knows. I'm hoping after the supposed cancelation of their first project they went back to something "safe" in DK. I'd be delighted for either 2D or 3D DK.
Anyway, what are the chances of ARMS 2? There is no reason to launch MK9 now so idk what the Mario Kart team is doing.
Like Splatoon 3, I honestly don't expect ARMS 2 to come out until the next Nintendo system (so maybe the Mario Kart/ARMS team will revive an old IP or make another new one in the meantime). As for a hypothetical Paper Mario Switch, I could see it be something released near the end of the Switch's life depending on the amount of overlap between it & Three Houses.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think 2020 will be a quieter year for Nintendo, with less titles; however they will be a few big punching games.

-"BOTW 2" will come out in the latter half of the year, it wont be called that but it'll be in that vein.
-No new mainline Mario, however there will be a new sports spinoff.
-Pokemon will have an off-year, with perhaps a low cost spinoff at most.
-SSBU dlc will continue as per normal.
-Monoliths next game will be revealed this year, and released in Autumn 2020. It wont be an expected IP.
-The Wii U will continue to be siphoned; with SM3D World in particular being taken.
-There will be a new Garage-IP (ala Splat, ARMS), Nintendo will place a big focus on it for launch in summer.
-People have mentioned their smaller IP's like Style Savvy, I agree and I think there will 2-3 micro-games released on the Eshop throughout the year.

I expect 2020 to be a third party focused year; with exclusive games and deals making up for the first party shortfall.
Unless Smash Ultimate gets a Season 2, its character DLC support is supposed to wrap up by the end of February 2020.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see any way where BotW 2 makes it out next year. Zelda team is slow, even for a straightforward sequel. Last time they had a quick turnaround was 20 years ago with MM.

I think Odyssey 2 is a lock for holiday 2020. I would also be delighted if we possibly get Captain Toad 2 as well.

I do think Metroid 5 is coming, but I think it will be a 2021 game (with Prime 4 in either 2022 or 2023). Three years seems like a short time for Sakamoto and the MS handheld team, neither of which has made a 3D game lately, letalone an HD one.

I do think 2020 will finally be the year that we see Pikmin 4, and it's likely to be released in 2020 as well.

Bayonetta 3 for sure... Possibly a March game.

Paper Mario Switch could also be coming, though I'm not sure how efficient Inty Sys is tackling two big HD projects at once... I wouldn't be surprised if this slipped to 2021. Though, I wonder if maybe Alpha Dream would possibly assist them. According to Wiki they are 46 people, so I'm not sure they could make an HD game of their own, but instead get the new Paper Mario out the door ealier.

Arms 2 is another obvious one

Retro Studios... Who knows. I'm hoping after the supposed cancelation of their first project they went back to something "safe" in DK. I'd be delighted for either 2D or 3D DK.

The poster formerly know as Zell said BotW fans have something to look forward to in 2020 (paraphrasing , but I believe that was the gist). I don't see any reason why 2020 wouldn't be a lock unless they opt to reinvent everything again.

I don't think they've ever had more incentive to ensure than another great Zelda comes out soon - nothing has compared to BotW's success, and you can bet they're keen to capitalize on that.

Jan 11, 2018
The poster formerly know as Zell said BotW fans have something to look forward to in 2020 (paraphrasing , but I believe that was the gist). I don't see any reason why 2020 wouldn't be a lock unless they opt to reinvent everything again.

I don't think they've ever had more incentive to ensure than another great Zelda comes out soon - nothing has compared to BotW's success, and you can bet they're keen to capitalize on that.

I know, but even if they're not reinventing the wheel, Zelda always seems to take longer than expected. It would be a nice surprise to get it in 2020, but I'm definitely not expecting it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited for Retro but I'm still partial to 2019. If all works out we should have Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Link's Awakening, and ANIMAL CROSSING all in one year.
If a Retro game comes this year I'll be happy. This will already be a great year with what's coming and we still don't know all of 2019. We have a Mystery game Emily mentioned and Pikmin 3.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
If a Retro game comes this year I'll be happy. This will already be a great year with what's coming and we still don't know all of 2019. We have a Mystery game Emily mentioned and Pikmin 3.
Mystery game ain't Retro's game, and there may be more than one. I think it's Paper Mario time, hopefully a return to roots or at least a better card-based combat system.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mystery game ain't Retro's game, and there may be more than one. I think it's Paper Mario time, hopefully a return to roots or at least a better card-based combat system.
I know the Mystery game isn't Retro's game. I have those separate. I mean unless Nintendo doesn't care about their fans or wants scores of Paper Mario to continue dropping then they'll make the necessary changes to bring Paper Mario back to what it was.

I don't want any card battle system. I don't want an adventure game. I want rpg Paper Mario like 64/TTYD. Those games never got modern iterations. They can take those formulas and make better games today.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
BotW 2 and Odyssey 2 would make for a strong, albeit safe 2020 and make up for Pokémon most likely having an off-year.

Bayonetta 3 and Monolith's next game would be nice.

If Retro's post-TF, pre-MP4 game exists, I could see it slipping into 2020. Big if at this point though.

Mario Golf might be too soon for Camelot since they don't have a Wii U game to build upon.

HAL will definitely release something in 2020. I'm actually surprised they don't have anything else for this year except Box Boy + Box Girl. I guess the mini games in Star Allies don't make for great downloadable releases.

The biggest question marks loom above the Splatoon and Mario Kart/Arms teams.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
First party games for 2020:
Pikmin 4
New Monolith IP
BOTW 2
SMO 2
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Mario Golf
Kirby
Mario & Luigi
2D Metroid

It's gonna be an amazing year!
you make it sound like these are announced when only a single one of them has ever been publicly acknowledged. all of them are inevitable in some form but billing all of them for the same year will lead to disappointment.

Was it confirmed that NLG is making LM3?
It's still not official who's developing that.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
you make it sound like these are announced when only a single one of them has ever been publicly acknowledged. all of them are inevitable in some form but billing all of them for the same year will lead to disappointment.

This year has;
NSMBUDX
Yoshi
Fire Emblem
SSM2
Boy Boy
A new Zelda crossover
A new Platinum IP
Marvel Ultimate Alliance revival
Luigi's Mansion 3
Pokemon Gen 8
Animal Crossing
Link's Awakening Remake
LABO VR
Tetris 99

+ the Dragon Quest games, Fitness Boxing, Daemon, etc published in the west and that's before E3 where I'm sure one or two more games for this year will be announced.

It's still not official who's developing that.

(But logically, it's NLG.)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
logically NLG was also doing the LM remaster but then it turned it they didn't do it after all. So *shrug*
there are too many "exceptions" to use remakes/rereleases as a barometer for who's making new games. "logically" Nintendo was doing the Twilight Princess remaster, but it wasn't. "logically" Monster was doing the Tropical Freeze since they did the first Donkey Kong, but Retro did it.

it's a ridiculous train of thought that has no bearing on who's making the new game

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Just give me Aonuma's thief game and I'll be a happy man.

It would be great to see the "leading" EPD teams work on new IP.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you are latching on to Aonuma's "Thief game" comments too much.

Came off as more of an idea then anything definitive.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
To be honest I'm joking since I'm not taking his comments too seriously, but it would be nice to see the Zelda/Mario teams work on new IP.

Splatoon and ARMS both prove that Nintendo can craft fantastic new worlds.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
do you guys think nintendo will have anything (other than some eshop/NSO small games) announced at E3 with a 2019 release date? seems like the schedule for the second half of the year is super packed as it is and adding even more is no the best idea.

Last edited:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
do you guys thing nintendo will have anything (other than some eshop/NSO small games) announced at E3 with a 2019 release date? seems like the schedule for the second half of the year is super packed as it is and adding even more is no the best idea.
RETRO GAME 2019 BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Seriously, I don't expect it, but I do not understand why "no more than one per month!" is such a mantra. Nintendo is gonna ship off Fire Emblem and Marvel within the same month and SMM2 is so late in June, it might as well be another July game in terms of "giving room".

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
do you guys think nintendo will have anything (other than some eshop/NSO small games) announced at E3 with a 2019 release date? seems like the schedule for the second half of the year is super packed as it is and adding even more is no the best idea.
For 2019? I think there should be at least one announcement.

Oct 25, 2017
I assume there's one or two unannounced games left for the year, but probably on the smaller scale. From June onwards they have Super Mario Maker 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Astral Chain, Zelda: Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokémon Sword/Shield, and Animal Crossing, which is enough for one game each month (with July doubling up), without even accounting for games like Daemon x Machina and Dragon Quest XI S that they are publishing in the west.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
We have those leaked Layton games that Nintendo's apparently publishing that still need announcing. Plus the rumored Pikmin 3 port.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For 2019? I think there should be at least one announcement.
Emily's Mystery Game #4
maybe another wii u port?

RETRO GAME 2019 BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
i'm still optimistic about retro's game showing up at E3, but if it does i'm betting on it being 2020

I assume there's one or two unannounced games left for the year, but probably on the smaller scale. From June onwards they have Super Mario Maker 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Astral Chain, Zelda: Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokémon Sword/Shield, and Animal Crossing, which is enough for one game each month (with July doubling up), without even accounting for games like Daemon x Machina and Dragon Quest XI S that they are publishing in the west.
yeah that's a massive lineup, and they treat those 3rd part games (DQ, DxM) pretty much like first party games to when it comes to advertising. maybe there's potential for something low key like a casual game or a port, but i honestly can't imagine a big title being added to that least, if it does happen, something will get lost in the shuffle and not get the attention it deserves.

We have those leaked Layton games that Nintendo's apparently publishing that still need announcing. Plus the rumored Pikmin 3 port.
i can see stuff like that happening, yeah. just not anything major.

They always do. Always.
yeah but usually their schedule isn't THIS packed for the 2nd half of a year.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
They always do. Always.

I would say there are some key IPs (even if some don't like them) that should show up this year. Interestingly, new IPs from some key internal EPD devs for 2019-2021.

Some of you are latching on to Aonuma's "Thief game" comments too much. Came off as more of an idea then anything definitive.

I'm not sure about a thief game, but something new may come from the BOTW leads, SMO leads, or even both 2020 and 2021.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
EPD Game Directors (Creative Leads)

Tsubasa Sakaguchi (Production Group No.4) - Nintendo Labo: Toy Con 04 (2019), Nintendo Labo: Toy Con 03 (2018)
Yusuke Amano (Production Group No.5) - Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion (2018), Splatoon (2017)
Goro Abe (Production Group No.6) - WarioWare Gold (2018)
Kentaro Tominaga (Production Group No.3) - The Legend of Zelda: Champion's Ballad (2017)
Kenta Motokura (Production Group No.8) - Super Mario Odyssey (2017)
Takehiko Hosokawa (Production Group No.7) - Metroid: Samus Returns (2017)
Hidemaro Fujibayashi (Production Group No.3) - The Legend of Zelda: BOTW (2017)
Hiromasa Shikata (Production Group No.3/4) - 1 2 Switch (2017)
Aya Kyogoku (Production Group No.5) - Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo (2016)
Yuichiro Ito (Production Group No.4) - Miitopia (2016), Brain Age: Concentration Training (2012)
Yosuke Oshino (Production Group No.10) - Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS (2016), Super Mario Maker (2015)
Ryutaro Takahashi (Production Group No.7) - Miitomo (2016), Tomodachi Life (2014)
Masami Yone (Production Group No.7) - Rhythm Tengoku: The Best + (2015), Rhythm Tengoku Wii (2011)

Omitted - Because of possible team reshifts, or suspected one-off project teams.
Shinya Hiratake - Captain Toad (2017)
Takaya Imamura - Tank Troopers (2016), Steel Diver: Sub Wars (2014), Steel Divers (2011)
Yugo Hayashi - Super Mario Run (2016), Star Fox Zero (2016)
Shiro Mouri - New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe U (2019)
Yusuke Shiraiwa - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (2017)
Yuji Kando / Shigefumi Hino - Pikmin 3 (2014)
Kenta Sato / Masaaki Ishikawa / Shintaro Jikumaru - Arms (2017)

The hotter the color, the more likely that a project is rearing soon.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Aya Kyogoku (Production Group No.5) - Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo (2016)
Yuichiro Ito (Production Group No.4) - Miitopia (2016), Brain Age: Concentration Training (2012)
Yosuke Oshino (Production Group No.10) - Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS (2016), Super Mario Maker (2015)
Ryutaro Takahashi (Production Group No.7) - Miitomo (2016), Tomodachi Life (2014)
Masami Yone (Production Group No.7) - Rhythm Tengoku: The Best + (2015), Rhythm Tengoku Wii (2011)

Presumably Kyogoku and Oshino are working on AC Switch and SMM2 resectively. Ito or Takahashi are probably on a new Mii game. You think they're making a new Rhythm Heaven for Switch?

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Sorry to double post but as noted in this thread, Monolith has now grown to 209 people, up from 193 in January. Only a few of the other companies have posted new numbers; Good-Feel are now 122 up from 108 last year and SRD have grown (or at planned to grow? -not 10% what their site means) by 10 people from 130 to 140.

EPD: 850 ~ 900 (700ish in Kyoto, 150-200 in Tokyo)
Monolith Soft: 209 (as of end of January 2019)
Retro: ~130 (now, according to LinkedIn)
Nd Cube: 100 (linked pamphlet is from early 2018 - after Pocket Camp, but before SMP - the 2019 pamphlet doesn't mention staff numbers :()
1UP Studio: 44 (Aug 2018) - as big as they've ever been as far as I can tell, even when they were Brownie Brown.

HAL: 153 (July 2018)
Intelligent Systems: 151 (Dec 2018)
Game Freak: 143 (2018)
SRD: 140 (April 2019(planned) - incl. web development group)
Good Feel: 122 (January 2019, incl. mobile division)
Next Level: 115 (now, according to LinkedIn)
Grezzo: 62 (2018)
Alpha Dream: 46 (2018)
Camelot: 44 (2010, probably more now)
Genius Sonority: 22

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dammit. I knew I should've checked Monolith's site on my laptop. It never updates on my cellphone for some reason. 209 is 16 more people. I was guessing they were around 205. This is great to hear how big they're getting.

Also, Monolith Soft was 28.6% female and 71.4% men. They're not 37.5% female and 62.5% men. They added a good amount of women.

Status
Not open for further replies.