• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

morromocotudo

Nov 19, 2017
They chose that name on purpose right?

Yes:

8. Proud to be Nerds

Iwata: So who was it that first said that the company should be called NERD? I was quite surprised when Shimada-san brought it forward as a suggestion. It does work great as an acronym for Nintendo European Research and Development. Like it was fate for this to happen.

Alex: Well, we have regular meetings with the team leaders and we were talking about how the name Mobiclip didn't really fit what we did any more. We thought that we needed to find a name that matched our new work. So we thought about it quite seriously. (laughs)

Iwata: It was a serious and logical process.

Alex: Exactly. (laughs) We wanted the name to show that we are part of Nintendo. We also wanted to show that we are doing research and development, and that we are based in Europe and have a European perspective and ambition. But I couldn't find a good name. We aren't always logical in the team, we can be quite imaginative too, so we got the idea that maybe we shouldn't take ourselves too seriously. (laughs) Then Jérémy* who manages the production here came to me saying he had a name. (laughs)

* Jérémy: Jérémy Denise, Chief Production Officer at NERD.

Iwata: So everyone at the company decided to accept this joke name as a serious candidate?

Alex: We weren't sure if it would succeed. At first it was kind of a joke. But we found that it fits perfectly with our style, our goal and our dream. Our wives weren't so happy about us calling ourselves nerds though. (laughs) But the name is really clever and the engineers were saying "Oh, that's a great idea."

Iwata:
The word "nerd" is sometimes used in a positive sense and sometimes in a negative sense, isn't it? But I guess you could say the people here are proud of being "NERD"s.

Alex: Exactly, it's what sets you apart from others. Perhaps we weren't the most visible people at school: we were interested in computers and maths, and nobody cared about what we did. But now we can be proud to be "NERD"s. We feel like we are in a family where "NERD"s are considered valuable.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-As...d-to-be-Nerds/8-Proud-to-be-Nerds-759310.html

Oct 27, 2017
NoE removed Labo (and the amiibos) from the main menu on their site. The pages are still there, just far from the spotlight.
www.nintendo.co.uk

Nintendo UK's official site

Discover Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 2DS, Wii U and amiibo. Get console support, games info, Nintendo news and learn about My Nintendo.

Previously:
DTxsVUuWkAAsh8n.jpg

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
NoE removed Labo (and the amiibos) from the main menu on their site. The pages are still there, just far from the spotlight.
www.nintendo.co.uk

Nintendo UK's official site

Discover Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 2DS, Wii U and amiibo. Get console support, games info, Nintendo news and learn about My Nintendo.

Previously:
Labo is in "Switch family" now, along with Switch Lite, Switch Online, etc.
I don't see it as being removed as such, they wouldn't have been able to keep adding content on that bar, and it's not hidden either, it makes sense, it's not a platform.

Amiibo is a different case though. In the UK site, it's in "store", because the Nintendo UK store sells them.
But it's not there or anywhere easily findable in other EU regional websites. It's in the "..." category now on those websites (top of the "various" sub category).

Oct 25, 2017
So Hiromasa Shikata didn't direct Link's Awakening remake.

What the fuck is he working on? He hasn't been credited in a game since Tri Force Heroes.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Metroid Prime 4 to not have story confirmed then. RIP.

No art AND no story. I am worried. It better have awesome sound as an audio-only game.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
In 2017 there were three writers/narrative designers working at Retro Studios. None of them remain in the company.

yPUPgTg.jpg

pyuRAan.png

KRGtwPF.png
Two of them left before Retro got MP4. The last one probably didn't want to work on this and had a better opportunity elsewhere.
Keep in mind narrative design is very often a freelance job nowadays. Hell, they could even have Avellone on it (I doubt it, but that's an example).

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The first game you can play using Joycons only.
and all the buttons are disabled, input is gyro sensing only + IR detection of your pulse to send inputs into the game (you have to adapt your heart rate etc, tap the Sylux amiibo to register preset patterns). you feel the environment through HD Rumble feedback. it's part of their "we haven't actually given up on joycon tech because of switch lite thank you very much" initiative.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have credits of Mario Kart Tour?
Doesn't look like there are any in the game, just like all of Nintendo's mobile games except For FE Heroes.

They could be added in a future update, but the best bet is probably looking for copyright applications or interviews for partial credits.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
EPD In-house releases for Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS, Mobile.

2016 (3)
  • Miitomo
  • Super Mario Run
  • Miitopia
2017 (6)
  • 1 2 Switch
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Mario Kart Deluxe (port +)
  • Arms
  • Splatoon 2
  • Super Mario Odyssey
2018 (5)
  • Nintendo Labo - Toy Con 01 - Variety Kit
  • Nintendo Labo - Toy Con 02 - Robot Kit
  • Nintendo Labo - Toy Con 03 - Vehicle Kit
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (port for Nintendo Switch)
  • Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion (DLC)
2019 (5)
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (port)
  • Nintendo Labo - Toy Con 04 - VR Kit
  • Super Mario Maker 2
  • Ring Fit Adventure
  • Mario Kart Tour

Last edited:

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
EPD In-house releases for Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS, Mobile

2016 (3)
  • Miitomo
  • Super Mario Run
  • Miitopia
2017 (6)
  • 1 2 Switch
  • Arms
  • Splatoon 2
  • Super Mario Odyssey
2018 (4)
2019 (5)
  • Super Mario Maker 2
  • Ring Fit Adventure
  • Mario Kart Tour

Feels like Pocket Camp should be on the list, iirc NDCube is only assisting.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stephen Dupree came back to Retro as the Principal Game Designer. This is kind of a big deal. He came on during DKCR. He was the lead design for TF and weirdly left during development of Retro's new game to start Playcorp.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stephen Dupree came back to Retro as the Principal Game Designer. This is kind of a big deal. He came on during DKCR. He was the lead design for TF and weirdly left during development of Retro's new game to start Playcorp.
i guess playcorp is done with their enhanced version of lucky's tale and he was looking for a new challenge.

tonyh24613

Oct 25, 2017
EPD In-house releases for Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS, Mobile

2016 (3)
  • Miitomo
  • Super Mario Run
  • Miitopia
2017 (6)
  • 1 2 Switch
  • Arms
  • Splatoon 2
  • Super Mario Odyssey
2018 (4)
2019 (5)
  • Super Mario Maker 2
  • Ring Fit Adventure
  • Mario Kart Tour

Without listing DLCs, 2016 and 2018 looks terrible and 2019 looks sad after they delay AC. :/

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
So is new brain Age game developed by Kawamoto's team? (EPD4)

Both Ring Fit Adventure and Brain Age Switch are produced by Kawamoto through EPD Prod. Group No. 4. Brain-Age however, does have a small familiar co-developer.

I guess, but we also don't know, for example, if Bandai did the heavy lifting on Tour and just the MK leads were involved in planning/design from EPD.

MK Tour was definitely programmed by the MK team. Not sure if Bamco helped out with graphics again, if anything DeNa may have assisted on the visuals.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
This puts Nintendo at about 15 world-wide first party releases and 5 regional distributions (DxM, Dragon Quest) for 2019. With the user base growing after the lite and strong Fall line-up, next year should be as strong in numbers, maybe even higher in impact.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I truly hope NDcube and Camelot try something new now. Both have been way too stuck with Mario spinoffs for a long while. Another studio Nintendo should give more resources and opportunities is Genius Sonority. There's ex-Dragon Quest people there and did a fine job with Pokémon Colosseum/XD in the past, it was a bad decision to gut it to low-budget/small projects. I hope Nintendo restablish it or work as partner along side a big project.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Brain Age being on the Switch (instead of a mobile title like I was expecting earlier in the Switch's life) is making me reevaluate the chances of EPD Group 9's next project being Nintendogs. I don't think Tour was their only project since 2017, but I don't feel like Mario Kart 9 (10?) or ARMS 2 are close.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Brain Age being on the Switch (instead of a mobile title like I was expecting earlier in the Switch's life) is making me reevaluate the chances of EPD Group 9's next project being Nintendogs. I don't think Tour was their only project since 2017, but I don't feel like Mario Kart 9 (10?) or ARMS 2 are close.
In a similar way I'm walking back my "never ever!" stance a bit since it now makes more sense in a world with Switch Lite as handheld only being a natural fit for the "dog behind screen" touch-focused nature of Nintendogs. That wasn't really aligned with what the OG Switch proposition was. Still don't really see them going back to it though simply because I can't imagine what kind of new thing they'd want to do with that.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
In a similar way I'm walking back my "never ever!" stance a bit since it now makes more sense in a world with Switch Lite as handheld only being a natural fit for the "dog behind screen" touch-focused nature of Nintendogs. That wasn't really aligned with what the OG Switch proposition was. Still don't really see them going back to it though simply because I can't imagine what kind of new thing they'd want to do with that.
Honestly, while i'm considering Nintendogs as a valid possibility for the Switch, I still think it would be a better fit for mobile; not for the obvious implementation of micro-transactions that Nintendo would love to profit from, but for the evolution it could bring to the series that the Switch simply cannot: AR. The 3DS installment had very limited AR functionality (using the AR Cards pre-packaged with the 3DS), but with help from Niantic, I think it would be a really interesting route to take.

Of course, there are plenty of issues with that idea; the largest in my mind being that Group 9 just released a mobile title that they will be continuously working on for the foreseeable future. It doesn't really seem like this is a feasible project from them, at least for now.

Though, if Nintendo plans on exploring more casual titles on the Switch (which they will definitely); after a successor to Wii Fit and a new installment of Brain Age, they should really bring out a Wii Sports equivalent (since the Lite clearly isn't stopping them from making games using the Joy-Con).

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Honestly, while i'm considering Nintendogs as a valid possibility for the Switch, I still think it would be a better fit for mobile; not for the obvious implementation of micro-transactions that Nintendo would love to profit from, but for the evolution it could bring to the series that the Switch simply cannot: AR. The 3DS installment had very limited AR functionality (using the AR Cards pre-packaged with the 3DS), but with help from Niantic, I think it would be a really interesting route to take.

Of course, there are plenty of issues with that idea; the largest in my mind being that Group 9 just released a mobile title that they will be continuously working on for the foreseeable future. It doesn't really seem like this is a feasible project from them, at least for now.

Though, if Nintendo plans on exploring more casual titles on the Switch (which they will definitely); after a successor to Wii Fit and a new installment of Brain Age, they should really bring out a Wii Sports equivalent (since the Lite clearly isn't stopping them from making games using the Joy-Con).
Hm with Group 9, I'm wondering if that long lead-up time was because they have all or most of their content in the bank already and don't really need the main group to do much other than supervise DeNA and occasionally do some additional small asset work. I'd think they have not only their content plan mapped out but also that content already created (racers). Such that the staf required to maintain that part is minimal and the rest is just basically functionality maintenance which seems to be DeNA's area anyhow.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Hm with Group 9, I'm wondering if that long lead-up time was because they have all or most of their content in the bank already and don't really need the main group to do much other than supervise DeNA and occasionally do some additional small asset work. I'd think they have not only their content plan mapped out but also that content already created (racers). Such that the staf required to maintain that part is minimal and the rest is just basically functionality maintenance which seems to be DeNA's area anyhow.
There's likely a team within Group 9 continuing to working on the game, at least for the near future (in order to implement online multiplayer). Probably isn't a huge team though.

I could buy that they have a vast majority of their planned content already made and are saving it for small incremental updates. There is still plenty of content (racers, courses, karts, etc) seen in the beta and trailers that are not yet available in the game; and I wouldn't be surprised if there was content ready that we haven't seen at all (official promo art features the Big Ben, yet we've seen no hint of a London Tour; for example). Wouldn't be surprised at all to see some staff drop in and out to create new assets/content when necessary.