• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I've made my peace that the only way I'll experience F-Zero on Switch is by playing the emulated old games via NSO. Right now it's only one game, I guess.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
play the rest on Wii U :)
Unfortunately, I only own a Switch and pretty much only play on portable/handheld systems. I could re-buy the other handheld systems or buy a system that can play old games but I don't think it'll be worth it for me. Your suggestion is still the best though, otherwise it's just waiting for several years for NSO to have more systems and games.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I like Starlink's ambition. It has a lot of room for improvement, though. Too bad it didn't sell well enough to justify a sequel.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
In terms of approving and overseeing games, what do think I the main difference between Shigeru Miyamoto, and Shinya Takahashi?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If they were to accurately replicate the only relevant depiction of Fox (Smash Bros.) a new Star Fox game would play like Vanquish.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of approving and overseeing games, what do think I the main difference between Shigeru Miyamoto, and Shinya Takahashi?
I think Takahashi is less involved with actual game design and has more of a producer role. He basically oversees development, monitors progress and adds staff if needed and shuffles staff and let them work on projects that best suit their skills. Miyamoto is more into game design and probably oversees all games and gives input some way or another.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I think Takahashi is less involved with actual game design and has more of a producer role. He basically oversees development, monitors progress and adds staff if needed and shuffles staff and let them work on projects that best suit their skills. Miyamoto is more into game design and probably oversees all games and gives input some way or another.
was, not is :)

that's not his job anymore

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus

I think the main difference between Miyamoto and Takahashi is that Takahashi is better at embracing the individual talents and style of the creators. While overseeing SPD, the developers both internally and externally, were able to define their own style and personally, while still maintaining that Nintendo charm. And we can see some of that now.

Miyamoto is wise, but he's also creatively stubborn. He strongly believed in games having a recognizable "Nintendo" style. He's the guy who thinks there should be a "Nintendo" genre after all. This can be a blessing and a curse because while his guidance is valuable, it can also make Nintendo's games fairly homogeneous at times.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm down with that, Star Fox 64 + Jet Force Gemini. Great idea. Everyone always gets scared because Namco tried to do that with slippery wonky controls.
I still think Star Fox Assault was the best step in a right direction after 64, compared to any other game. Like all the subsequent titles, it's weird they didn't try to iterate on it in some way -- the multiplayer especially felt pretty unique and is far far more interesting than pure dogfighting.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Is it wrong that I envy Splatoon for getting such good treatment already even though it originated in 2015 and Metroid needs to fight so hard to even get a fraction of that treatment despite having industry defining games 😤😤

yeah I know, sales sales sales

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Especially Ring Fit. Miyamoto is not the biggest fan of RPGs, so it and Miitopia probably wouldn't have gotten greenlit under him.
And yet the Mario RPGs were born and had their most celebrated entries during his EAD General Producer run.

I don't think this theory holds much water and is just more of that "Miyamoto hates story" narrative that is quite silly.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Is it wrong that I envy Splatoon for getting such good treatment already even though it originated in 2015 and Metroid needs to fight so hard to even get a fraction of that treatment despite having industry defining games 😤😤

yeah I know, sales sales sales
Hey, could be worse. If it weren't for it's stellar critical reception Metroid could always be like F-Zero (or Golden Sun or Chibi-Robo or Sin and Punishment or Wave Race or) and be dead in a ditch somewhere.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Hey, could be worse. If it weren't for it's stellar critical reception Metroid could always be like F-Zero (or Golden Sun or Chibi-Robo or Sin and Punishment or Wave Race or) and be dead in a ditch somewhere.

That's true too; It's not always what people want and there's been some dry patches, but Metroid still manages to get an entry every couple of years.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure we can specifically say Miyamoto "hates stories" since he greenlit the hour of real-time cinematics in Ocarina of Time, pushed for the voice-acted cinemas in Star Fox 64, and was the producer of some of those EAD developed text adventure games on the Famicom Disk System (Demon Island, Brave Spirits).

But Miyamoto has long removed himself from being the face and manager of game development. Takahashi has that exclusive role, with several men under him sharing some of that spotlight.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I'm not sure we can specifically say Miyamoto "hates stories" since he greenlit the hour of real-time cinematics in Ocarina of Time, pushed for the voice-acted cinemas in Star Fox 64, and was the producer of some of those EAD developed text adventure games on the Famicom Disk System (Demon Island, Brave Spirits).

Miyamoto doesn't hate stories necesarily. But he does try to avoid them if they don't benefit the game. For example, he asked Intelligent Systems if the next paper Mario would be fine without a story, and that it might not need one, since other Mario titles do just fine without a story.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Miyamoto doesn't hate stories necesarily. But he does try to avoid them if they don't benefit the game. For example, he asked Intelligent Systems if the next paper Mario would be fine without a story, and that it might not need one, since other Mario titles do just fine without a story.

*if he thinks they don't benefit the game

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Luigi's Mansion 3 credits out (Credits). Usual Next Level under EPD Group 6. Still no signs of RFA.
Ring Fit Adventure is at least partially done by SRD, if their website is to be believed.
unknown.png

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
With Luigi's Mansion 3 now done. I would like to see Next Level Games try their hand at an original IP. Nintendo really needs more western games that have a distinct style.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're big enough to do that and work on another project at the same time as well.
going by the credits, looks like damn near the whole staff worked on LM3. with their studio being about 100 people, that doesn't leave them with a lot of folks assisting on one project while working on another. only 8 people from Hellbent are credited and who knows how many folks from Square One touched the game.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
going by the credits, looks like damn near the whole staff worked on LM3. with their studio being about 100 people, that doesn't leave them with a lot of folks assisting on one project while working on another. only 8 people from Hellbent are credited and who knows how many folks from Square One touched the game.

There's also the possibility that Next Level won't have any involvement with Prime 4 at all. Maybe Retro will find another support studio.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
With Luigi's Mansion 3 now done. I would like to see Next Level Games try their hand at an original IP. Nintendo really needs more western games that have a distinct style.

I'm not sure that's a fun gamble. There are tons of Nintendo IPs that need servicing that are safer bets than an original project.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
At least some of NLG is probably still working on the multiplayer DLC for LM3.

I'm not sure that's a fun gamble. There are tons of Nintendo IPs that need servicing that are safer bets than an original project.

But is there anything NLG is likely to be put in charge of handling? Strikers and Punch-Out could certainly be outsold by the right original game and there's no chance of Federation Force II.

I get the feeling they and NST are assisting Retro in Metroid Prime 4 now that Monster is out

NST is probably working on another port.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus

The thing with Nintendo is that, even if a new IP from a 2nd party studio fails, they can still give them a strong IP to help make it back. Grezzo's Ever Oasis bombed, but that didn't sour their relationship with Nintendo, as they let them remake Link's Awakening a few years later to help foot the bill. Nintendo probably would encourage a New IP from Next Level at this point seeing as how they're already proven to be a talented studio, and Nintendo tends to have no qualms against one of their partners venturing off on their own original game once they get the time.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I'd love to see Next-Level try their hand at a Wario game, or a Donkey Kong one. I'd love to see how expressive they could make those characters.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want a new Mario Strikers from Next Level Games. Its been far too long since we had one. They were great games and very different than all the other Mario sports games.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I want a new Mario Strikers from Next Level Games. Its been far too long since we had one. They were great games and very different than all the other Mario sports games.

No. I would like to be able to keep my job. I dont want a brand new Mario Strikers with online play in HD graphics that would consume my life.............

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Aside from Next Level Games, I kind of want all of Nintendo's outside studios to make an original IP for the Switch. Good Feel, MonolithSoft, Intelligent Systems, even Grezzo again.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
In general, what I'd like to see from Nintendo on the Switch would be continued diversification of its library as well as the largest amount of Nintendo iOS available. I'd like to see Nintendo focus on franchises that haven't released on Switch yet that could bring new life to the series and to the Switch. I'd like to see new entries in Wave Race, Pilot Wings, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Murasame, Super Mario Strikers, F-Zero, Wii Sports, Nintendoland, Nintendogs, 2D Wario, 3D DK, and Diddy Kong Racing. I think franchises like Pikmin, Metroid, Rhythm Heaven, Paper Mario, Wario Ware and Tomodachi Collection will have entries on Switch.

I think there is a decent audience Nintendo could build on Switch for more arcade and minigame style sports, racers and shooters such as Switch Sports, Pilot Wings, Star Fox, Wave Race, 1080, Excitebike, F-Zero, Super Mario Strikers and Kid Icarus. All of these games would be up Namco's alley.

DK always seems to be acknowledged by Nintendo as one of its biggest franchises with western Nintendo fans slightly favoring it more with DKC series, DK64, and Diddy Kong Racing. They sell very well and offer a different flavor than the Mario offerings. It is a pipe dream but I'd love to see a new 3d DK and Diddy Kong Racing on Switch. Given the newly formed Mario Platformer development team umbrella between EAD Tokyo, 2D Mario team, NST and 1UP. Perhaps they could release a new DK title. Since 2009 we have had:
2009-NSMB Wii
2010-SMG2
2011-3D Land
2012- NSMB 2 & NSMBU
2013- NSLU & SM3DW
2014- Captain Toad
2015- SMM
2016- SMM 3DS
2017- Odyssey
2018- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
2019- NSMBU DX & SMM2

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The pipe dream is definitely getting a new Diddy Kong Racing with smaller Nintendo characters being playable. The hope is Nintendo decided they're not bringing Mario Kart 9 until the next system, so now is a good time to bring back Diddy Kong Racing

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I really hope Next Level gets the chance to make a new Mario Strikers game eventually, but something new from them would also be nice (either an IP they haven't worked on before, or a brand new IP).

Not F-Zero though; we all know that Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio will be handling that.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I really doubt NLG is assisting on MP4, there's no reason they should. Same for NST.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
NST is probably working on another port. If not a port, then maybe a smaller eShop title.