• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
But is there anything NLG is likely to be put in charge of handling? Strikers and Punch-Out could certainly be outsold by the right original game and there's no chance of Federation Force II.

Kid Icarus with Kensuke Tenabe as the producer? Sakurai doesn't want to do it, and I think NLG would do the game justice with their great animation skills.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Retro helped to make and was recognized as a failure.
What do you think NLG would do exactly? Help them working on a version of Blast Ball?
retro just assisted with designs. they didn't do much else.

NLG could just help with modeling an animation and whatnot. the usual stuff assist studios do. like Square One and Hellbent did for Luigi's Mansion

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
retro just assisted with designs. they didn't do much else.

NLG could just help with modeling an animation and whatnot. the usual stuff assist studios do. like Square One and Hellbent did for Luigi's Mansion
Well yeah, as you've said. This kind of stuff is usually done by support studios dedicated to this kind of work. Not by a studio like NLG that'd rather work on their own game.
Especially when MP4 was rebooted due to the issue of too many different studios working on the same game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, as you've said. This kind of stuff is usually done by support studios dedicated to this kind of work. Not by a studio like NLG that'd rather work on their own game.
Especially when MP4 was rebooted due to the issue of too many different studios working on the same game.
Depends on how fast Nintendo wants the game out. Throwing another 50-100 people would help and it's probably easier since NLG only works with Nintendo now

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Monster wasn't a support studio either. Why is this so difficult? NLG would do whatever Monster did. They could help out designing areas, animate characters, coding. What does it have to do with "being recognized as a failure?" Because their game was a commercial flop they're not being pulled in to assist in development for another similar game?!? This logic doesn't track at all.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Platinum had many failures. Must be why they were on Star Fox Zero, another failure. Appropriate for a failure company

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How can people continue to be obtuse on this subject. In the end I don't really see NLG assisting, but it won't be a surprise if they lent a tiny group to help.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's good that Nintendo has so many internal studios that can deal with large projects.
unimpressed.png

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Yeah, I'd expect Next Level to move onto their own new project as a 2022 release for Switch rather than assist on Retro's project. If Retro need more help, Nintendo can hire more staff or contract support studios - Austin is a game development hub, so it's not as if there's a shortage of talent in Retro's immediate area.

Given it's been so long since a Strikers game, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo finally return to that idea. I wouldn't expect Luigi's Mansion 4 on Switch, even though I expect 3 to be a big hit. I guess it depends if there are any franchises Nintendo want to expand or revisit, at this point in time. The last time we had a hint about revisiting an old IP was with Wave Race in 2018, but I feel if that's happening it's in the works at EPD. Next Level might pitch something to Nintendo, too.

We might hear in the next few months that Next Level have moved onto a new project, but we're not going to know what they're cooking for sure until 2021 or even early 2022.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ehh I don't see why if they work on Mario Strikers next it couldn't be on Switch. 2-2.5 years you'd think would be enough to make a Mario soccer game with 100 people.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Depends on how fast Nintendo wants the game out. Throwing another 50-100 people would help and it's probably easier since NLG only works with Nintendo now
Monster wasn't a support studio either. Why is this so difficult? NLG would do whatever Monster did. They could help out designing areas, animate characters, coding. What does it have to do with "being recognized as a failure?" Because their game was a commercial flop they're not being pulled in to assist in development for another similar game?!? This logic doesn't track at all.
Federation Force wasn't just a commercial flop, that's the issue. Who cares about its sales.
MP4 was rebooted because (apparently) the studios working on it were not showing good progress nor good quality. Metroid is a special IP that went through multiple developers (in-house or not), and they're looking into making it good (which didn't happen with NLG).

If it's to do modelling/art/etc help, they'll use a third party studio that doesn't develop games, that makes way more sense, just like most studios in this industry. Why would you put NLG on it when they're a studio known for making their own games? Especially when NLG has been better on Luigi's Mansion (seems to be their IP now) and Mario sports games.
There's enough history at Nintendo showing that when a studio fucks up something in terms of quality on an IP, they're not put on those games again.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Ehh I don't see why if they work on Mario Strikers next it couldn't be on Switch. 2-2.5 years you'd think would be enough to make a Mario soccer game with 100 people.
Yes - I definitely think NLG will release another title on Switch, probably in 2022. I just don't think their next game will be Luigi's Mansion 4, even if 3 sells more than the second game did (which I think it will).

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Federation Force wasn't just a commercial flop, that's the issue. Who cares about its sales.
MP4 was rebooted because (apparently) the studios working on it were not showing good progress nor good quality. Metroid is a special IP that went through multiple developers (in-house or not), and they're looking into making it good (which didn't happen with NLG).

If it's to do modelling/art/etc help, they'll use a third party studio that doesn't develop games, that makes way more sense, just like most studios in this industry. Why would you put NLG on it when they're a studio known for making their own games? Especially when NLG has been better on Luigi's Mansion (seems to be their IP now) and Mario sports games.
There's enough history at Nintendo showing that when a studio fucks up something in terms of quality on an IP, they're not put on those games again.
MPFF was good though. I'm having issues with this "bad game" narrative where they're not allowed to touch the IP anymore or something.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo gets whomever can spare people. They dont give a shit about what the studio can do. Platinum assisted for Star Fox despite them being able to do other stuff. Same with Monster Games.

"Why NLG" can be answer by the very reason any studio is hired: because they can spare the people. If you dont believe NLG is helping, sure. But there's no arcane reason as to why or why not

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
MPFF was good though. I'm having issues with this "bad game" narrative where they're not allowed to touch the IP anymore or something.
Maybe you had some fun with it, but the vast majority of people that played it (and reviewers, as bad of a metric it can be when you see the scores for W101 for example) didn't find the game good by any means. Did it have some good ideas in the middle of a terrible artstyle and mediocre level design? Sure, but the game hardly qualifies as "good".
Do you have an example of an external developer working on a Nintendo game with a bad critical reception that worked on the same IP again afterwards? Should be easy to find.
Nintendo gets whomever can spare people. They dont give a shit about what the studio can do. Platinum assisted for Star Fox despite them being able to do other stuff. Same with Monster Games.

"Why NLG" can be answer by the very reason any studio is hired: because they can spare the people. If you dont believe NLG is helping, sure. But there's no arcane reason as to why or why not
There's a big difference between assisting and co-developing, which the latter is what Platinum and Monster Games did on those two games. Assisting is closer to Monolith helping on Zelda or Retro on MPFF.
It's not about getting "whomever can spare people" when dedicated support studios exist in this industry, is a common practice both for Nintendo and most big companies, and when studios that usually work on their own games (like NLG) can be used for better reasons (especially when their last game just got a 86MC and will likely sell really well).

Unless there's some "arcane reason" as to why a specific studio should help a studio making a game already getting help and supervision from Nintendo, and likely already having support studios helping. It's not deep.

Sep 14, 2019
I wouldn't expect NLG's new project until Switch 2 sadly.
Yeah this is what I'm worried about too. Since LM3 is coming so late I could see them just doing a new game for Switch 2.

Of course, if their new game had a 3 year lifecycle, it would come out about 5 months before the likely Switch 2 launch. Which ... could happen? But would be kinda weird since the high profile late releases would most likely just be Pokemon and FE (games that Nintendo doesn't really directly ask developers to make so much as they just get made by said companies, unlike Next Level Games who are working on a contractual basis). Working on a contractual basis would make me think that Nintendo would just as likely tell them to develop for a Switch 2 release. In fact I think that's even more likely if their next game takes 3 years.

Then again, they know HD development now. It's possible they crank out a new game in 2-2.5 years (the latter seems very possible, the former kind of a stretch).

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
All this talks about Next Level Games make me reminded that both Intelligent Systems and Retro Studio are working on a Mario Kart game at one point. (former on Super Circuit, which I don't know how much they're involved in. And the latter co-developed with EAD on 7, specifically the Retro tracks and DK Jungle iirc as there are no other staffs available.) Which came out of left field to me lol.

So really, Nintendo can assign works to what developer team they want if they see fit.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
In general, what I'd like to see from Nintendo on the Switch would be continued diversification of its library as well as the largest amount of Nintendo iOS available. I'd like to see Nintendo focus on franchises that haven't released on Switch yet that could bring new life to the series and to the Switch. I'd like to see new entries in Wave Race, Pilot Wings, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Murasame, Super Mario Strikers, F-Zero, Wii Sports, Nintendoland, Nintendogs, 2D Wario, 3D DK, and Diddy Kong Racing. I think franchises like Pikmin, Metroid, Rhythm Heaven, Paper Mario, Wario Ware and Tomodachi Collection will have entries on Switch.

I think there is a decent audience Nintendo could build on Switch for more arcade and minigame style sports, racers and shooters such as Switch Sports, Pilot Wings, Star Fox, Wave Race, 1080, Excitebike, F-Zero, Super Mario Strikers and Kid Icarus. All of these games would be up Namco's alley.

DK always seems to be acknowledged by Nintendo as one of its biggest franchises with western Nintendo fans slightly favoring it more with DKC series, DK64, and Diddy Kong Racing. They sell very well and offer a different flavor than the Mario offerings. It is a pipe dream but I'd love to see a new 3d DK and Diddy Kong Racing on Switch. Given the newly formed Mario Platformer development team umbrella between EAD Tokyo, 2D Mario team, NST and 1UP. Perhaps they could release a new DK title. Since 2009 we have had:
2009-NSMB Wii
2010-SMG2
2011-3D Land
2012- NSMB 2 & NSMBU
2013- NSLU & SM3DW
2014- Captain Toad
2015- SMM
2016- SMM 3DS
2017- Odyssey
2018- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
2019- NSMBU DX & SMM2

With first party software sales being as good as they are on the Switch, I think we will see that kind of variety. Nintendo tends to be at its most diverse and flexible when their platforms are doing great. The Wii U's poor sales and development difficulties meant it couldn't see a lot of the quirky Nintendo experiments and un-Nintendo games like the DS, Wii, and 3DS did.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
All this talks about Next Level Games make me reminded that both Intelligent Systems and Retro Studio are working on a Mario Kart game at one point. (former on Super Circuit, which I don't know how much they're involved in. And the latter co-developed with EAD on 7, specifically the Retro tracks and DK Jungle iirc as there are no other staffs available.) Which came out of left field to me lol.

So really, Nintendo can assign works to what developer team they want if they see fit.

I'm pretty sure that Intelligent Systems was the primary developer of Super Circuit. Weird fit, but it was a pretty neat game at the time.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's 6 months earning release is coming out on October 31st. Gimme dat updated sales number :D

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Has anybody found it weird Nintendo didn't officially reveal the development team for Ring Fit Adventure? I mean, even Labo got an interview before launch.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to play Luigi's Mansion 3 this weekend. It's great to see Next Level Games back on their feet after Federation Force. I bet it's going to sell incredibly well too.

Having said that, it was always a no-brainer that they would make another Luigi's Mansion. LM2 sales surpassed everyone's expectations. So now that it's out of the way, what are people expecting from Next Level Games next?

I don't think LM3 will be their last game in the series, but I doubt they will make another for Switch. I think could be a good opportunity for them to try something new until the next system.

Next Level is kind of a wildcard team. They've worked on so many different games - Strikers, Punch-Out, Metroid... I think we can safely leave out Metroid as a possibility since the series is (presumably) being covered by MercurySteam and Retro. Both Strikers and Punch-Out sound like great ideas to me, but it could also be something entirely new. Their versatility makes it hard to predict.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I'm excited to play Luigi's Mansion 3 this weekend. It's great to see Next Level Games back on their feet after Federation Force. I bet it's going to sell incredibly well too.

Having said that, it was always a no-brainer that they would make another Luigi's Mansion. LM2 sales surpassed everyone's expectations. So now that it's out of the way, what are people expecting from Next Level Games next?

I don't think LM3 will be their last game in the series, but I doubt they will make another for Switch. I think could be a good opportunity for them to try something new until the next system.

Next Level is kind of a wildcard team. They've worked on so many different games - Strikers, Punch-Out, Metroid... I think we can safely leave out Metroid as a possibility since the series is (presumably) being covered by MercurySteam and Retro. Both Strikers and Punch-Out sound like great ideas to me, but it could also be something entirely new. Their versatility makes it hard to predict.

ARMS is my guess. Sold well enough to get a sequel. Ninty Likely want the Mario Kart team on something else long term and it's the logical modern successor to punch out

Clov

Oct 25, 2017

I've said it before, but I'd love to see their take on either Wario or Donkey Kong.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Does anybody think they'll do a spiritual successor to Iwata Asks someday? I'd like to see Nintendo give detailed interviews with its developers again.

Jan 11, 2018

Retro actually worked on concepts and art for some of the new tracks too, It's in the Iwata Asks. :).

I could see them alternating doing a LM as an "ever other" sort of thing (LM2 - FF - LM3 - ??? -LM4, etc). Clearly they are good with the series and I agree it's going to sell crazy good, at least 5m. But I also don't get the sense that Nintendo wants to milk the series, but I suppose that could change. But yeah, it's cool to see NLG get to do new things. MP:FF was a "failure" but I don't see why they shouldn't get to continue to experiment. Like Retro, they seem to have a knack for reinventing dormant franchises. Since Retro seems to be done with DK for the time being, I'd like to see NLG try their hand at DK, either 2D or 3D. I'd be another great franchise to showcase their beautiful handcrafted animations.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't have to be Furukawa doing it. But perhaps Shinya Takahashi could do it.
I feel like he would've done it by now. It really feels like those unique things a certain person would do. Nobody in industry even does it. I would love if Shinya did it though. He seems like the right personality for it.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I feel like he would've done it by now. It really feels like those unique things a certain person would do. Nobody in industry even does it. I would love if Shinya did it though. He seems like the right personality for it.

Maybe he's waiting for the right time to pitch the idea to Furukawa. Or maybe you're right, maybe he isn't thinking about it, probably in honor of Iwata. Still, I'd like to see another interview series with Nintendo developers again.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Does anybody think they'll do a spiritual successor to Iwata Asks someday? I'd like to see Nintendo give detailed interviews with its developers again.
Few years ago,investor asked about Iwata asks and Miyamoto said: , "thank you for the last question. About Iwata Asks, even he said, "It's gotten in a rut." For now, we want to continue Nintendo Direct with Morimoto. We will do lots of new things."
It will be so nice to learn more about development of Switch or Odyssey. I quess Takahashi or Koizumi should do it.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Few years ago,investor asked about Iwata asks and Miyamoto said: , "thank you for the last question. About Iwata Asks, even he said, "It's gotten in a rut." For now, we want to continue Nintendo Direct with Morimoto. We will do lots of new things."
It will be so nice to learn more about development of Switch or Odyssey. I quess Takahashi or Koizumi should do it.

I think Takahashi is the most likely since he's in charge of all Nintendo software.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Mario Kart Tour/9, Another new IP, Having the MK team work alongside NL would surely improve Next Level as a studio given how good the MK team is

Yabuki still wants to make ARMS though, and because it sold well, Nintendo would have no problem with him doing it in-house again. I just don't see the need to outsource a 2 year old IP with only one game under its belt.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please I don't want NLG developing an ARMS 2. We have IP's that haven't been made in a decade. ARMS 2 can wait for whenever the MK team is ready.