• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
So its about half EPD, half indieszero.

Another Nintendo Bezel Engine game - and it seems to have been entirely programmed at Indies Zero. But there are a ton of planners and sound guys from Nintendo. A few art people. Interesting to see the Rhythm Tengoku team from Nintendo being linked here.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Another Nintendo Bezel Engine game - and it seems to have been entirely programmed at Indies Zero. But there are a ton of planners and sound guys from Nintendo. A few art people. Interesting to see the Rhythm Tengoku team from Nintendo being linked here.

It's probably a situation where most of the internal staff were busy with Ring Fit Adventure and other games. So Nintendo all the designing and prototyping for the game in-house, then shipped it off to indieszero to put it all together in programing. It's similar to Star Fox Zero and Sushi Striker, where Nintendo develops the basics internally, then brings in an outside source to fill in the blanks.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 51982

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
How often does Nintendo distribute games that they do not publish? This year saw Nintendo distributing Travis Strikes Again with physical gamecards in NA and PAL regions and delivering Switch cases through My Nintendo in Japan while Grasshopper Manufacture self published the digital version. It looks like they're doing the same with No More Heroes III, which struck me as a little odd at first given it's a larger project. I can't think of any precedents, but I don't follow the publisher deals that closely and was hoping someone more informed could help me out.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How often does Nintendo distribute games that they do not publish? This year saw Nintendo distributing Travis Strikes Again with physical gamecards in NA and PAL regions and delivering Switch cases through My Nintendo in Japan while Grasshopper Manufacture self published the digital version. It looks like they're doing the same with No More Heroes III, which struck me as a little odd at first given it's a larger project. I can't think of any precedents, but I don't follow the publisher deals that closely and was hoping someone more informed could help me out.
Not often. They did it for Capcom Switch games, but not anymore. The biggest series they do this for is Pokemon (in japan), believe it or not

Deleted member 51982

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Not often. They did it for Capcom Switch games, but not anymore. The biggest series they do this for is Pokemon (in japan), believe it or not
Could you link me to which Capcom games were distributed? Do you know if it was just specific regions? The Pokemon stuff isn't too surprising though. I know it technically is handled by The Pokemon Company, but Nintendo still has a stake in it. Thanks.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Could you link me to which Capcom games were distributed? Do you know if it was just specific regions? The Pokemon stuff isn't too surprising though. I know it technically is handled by The Pokemon Company, but Nintendo still has a stake in it. Thanks.
Everything Capcom put out for their platforms during the 3DS and Wii U and Switch years, basically. This is for EU btw. MonHun, RE, the Street Fighters. Same was true for Konami (excluding Switch aka Bomberman).

They also distributed Wolfenstein 2 on Switch in EU.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I think the Capcom stuff stopped after USF2. They still published MH Stories though.

Nintendo still distributes Level 5's games in western markets too I believe, although they've stepped back from full localization and publishing. They also distributed Skyrim for Bethesda in Europe I believe, not sure about their other stuff (Doom, Wolf2). And also SNK Heroines and SNK 40th for NISA in Europe and Minecraft for Mojang/Xbox everywhere iirc.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, just doubled checked, NOA distributed the following 3rd party Switch retail releases in America:
  • DOOM (Bethesda Softworks)
  • Dark Souls: Remastered (Bandai Namco Entertainment)
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks)
  • Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and Millionaires' Conspiracy - Deluxe Edition (Level 5)
  • Minecraft (Mojang AB)
  • New Super Lucky's Tale (Playful Studios)
  • Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes (Grasshopper Manufacture)
  • Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (Capcom)
They do a lot more in Europe I believe but I'm not sure how to check that for a comprehensive list exactly.

Deleted member 51982

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Everything Capcom put out for their platforms during the 3DS and Wii U and Switch years, basically. This is for EU btw. MonHun, RE, the Street Fighters. Same was true for Konami (excluding Switch aka Bomberman).

They also distributed Wolfenstein 2 on Switch in EU.
I think the Capcom stuff stopped after USF2. They still published MH Stories though.

Nintendo still distributes Level 5's games in western markets too I believe, although they've stepped back from full localization and publishing. They also distributed Skyrim for Bethesda in Europe I believe, not sure about their other stuff (Doom, Wolf2). And also SNK Heroines and SNK 40th for NISA in Europe and Minecraft for Mojang/Xbox everywhere iirc.

It looks like Nintendo distributed SNK Heroines, but not the SNK 40th. I'm getting a good general picture though. They distribute a lot in Europe and it's really for larger games. They actually did both Wolf2 and Doom, but Bethesda did Skyrim.

Okay, just doubled checked, NOA distributed the following 3rd party Switch retail releases in America:
  • DOOM (Bethesda Softworks)
  • Dark Souls: Remastered (Bandai Namco Entertainment)
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks)
  • Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and Millionaires' Conspiracy - Deluxe Edition (Level 5)
  • Minecraft (Mojang AB)
  • New Super Lucky's Tale (Playful Studios)
  • Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes (Grasshopper Manufacture)
  • Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (Capcom)
They do a lot more in Europe I believe but I'm not sure how to check that for a comprehensive list exactly.

How did you find the NOA list?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
How did you find the NOA list?
Easy, NOA puts any game they distribute up on their webstore (not the eShop, their actual online store for refurbs, parts and stuff). It's not necessarily complete though since they don't list stuff they've run though stock on so it's possible NOA might've distributed other games not listed too like Super Bomberman R or Wolfenstein II for example.

Their UK webstore though has games NOE doesn't distribute as well though so there's no way to tell there.

Deleted member 51982

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Easy, NOA puts any game they distribute up on their webstore (not the eShop, their actual online store for refurbs, parts and stuff). It's not necessarily complete though since they don't list stuff they've run though stock on so it's possible NOA might've distributed other games not listed too like Super Bomberman R or Wolfenstein II for example.

Their UK webstore though has games NOE doesn't distribute as well though so there's no way to tell there.
I see, that makes a lot of sense. I've been using listings on the the official Nintendo Amazon page and it lines up with the webstore. Thanks for point that out. If anyone is curious it looks like Konami distributed Super Bomberman R, but Nintendo distributed Wolfenstein II.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep

He came back in September. I saw this as a great thing. Of course we know his work on Tropical Freeze so he's important to have back and he's the Principle Designer now.

Him and Retros writer both left the same time in late 2017. It was speculated they had problems (like we hear so many time with Retro). To see him come back 2 years later hopefully means he came back because life is better at Retro. He'll get to work on Metroid Prime 4. It's really good he's back.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep

He came back in September. I saw this as a great thing. Of course we know his work on Tropical Freeze so he's important to have back and he's the Principle Designer now.

Him and Retros writer both left the same time in late 2017. It was speculated they had problems (like we hear so many time with Retro). To see him come back 2 years later hopefully means he came back because life is better at Retro. He'll get to work on Metroid Prime 4. It's really good he's back.

Ah, very good to hear. Fully agreed with you as well. Hope we see lots of big names and fresh blood come to Retro in the coming years.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
I can't see them developing a new Mario Strikers honestly. The earlier games of this IP were developed by NLG which have been busy on LM3 recently. I can not imagine that Nintendo will use them for a new Mario Strikers again. Furthermore, the sales of the striker games have not been so great while Luigis Mansion 3 is a big seller now. It would be very weird from Nintendo to give NLG a new Mario Strikers again.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
I can't see them developing a new Mario Strikers honestly. The earlier games of this IP were developed by NLG which have been busy on LM3 recently. I can not imagine that Nintendo will use them for a new Mario Strikers again. Furthermore, the sales of the striker games have not been so great while Luigis Mansion 3 is a big seller now. It would be very weird from Nintendo to give NLG a new Mario Strikers again.
Could Nintendo possibly get another developer like Camelot to produce the game. It's not like Camelot is making another Golden Sun game 😑.
I know LM3 is really successful put that did stop Nintendo from producing games like Arms instead of a new MK game.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Damn how do you guys put all this stuff about Nintendo's structure and norms together? Interesting stuff.
EAD Ninja's connections, asking around, paying attention, reading the material they put out, and checking game credits. It's not that difficult. It's just really difficult to get a complete and 100% accurate picture. But the general overview is fairly straightforward.
Could Nintendo possibly get another developer like Camelot to produce the game. It's not like Camelot is making another Golden Sun game 😑.
I know LM3 is really successful put that did stop Nintendo from producing games like Arms instead of a new MK game.
Camelot is making Golf and Tennis. They're busy. It wouldn't be Strikers like NLG made it anyway if someone else made it.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Tennis - I could see that this year.
A second Mario Tennis would be too iterative on the Switch. I am expecting Mario Golf. Not sure about this year though since there is a 3D World port and probably Super Mario Party 2 and Paper Mario. Nintendo has been against Mario saturation for a while. I figure that's why NSMBUDX released in Jan to release before Mario Maker 2 but give enough space from Super Mario Party.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
A second Mario Tennis would be too iterative on the Switch. I am expecting Mario Golf. Not sure about this year though since there is a 3D World port and probably Super Mario Party 2 and Paper Mario. Nintendo has been against Mario saturation for a while. I figure that's why NSMBUDX released in Jan to release before Mario Maker 2 but give enough space from Super Mario Party.

I entirely meant the "other" Mario sports title not released. My bad! 2 Mario Tennis titles on the same platform would be totally ridiculous.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess the Cinematic writer decided to add back to his LinkedIn he's working at Retro. He's been there since September, but once I called it out he seemingly took it off like a day later lol.

He's worked in the film industry on stuff like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday Night Lights, Friday the 13th, Machete, etc. He worked on Doom. He's a writer, animator, producer, does cinematics, etc. he has a really big list of accomplishments. Now he's the Cinematics Lead for Retro. I think this is pretty big deal on what he'll bring to the table for Metroid Prime 4.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
I am still wondering when we will see the next game from EPD Tokyo. Their output has been very great in the past - either in quality and quantity aspects.

November 2007: Mario Galaxy
May 2010: Mario Galaxy 2
November 2011: Mario 3D Land
November 2013: Mario 3D World
November 2014: Captain Toad
October 2017: Mario Odyssey

The longest gap between two releases was 2 years and 11 months. The release of their last game was 2 years and 3 months ago. So I think they should have most probably a game ready for this year!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am still wondering when we will see the next game from EPD Tokyo. Their output has been very great in the past - either in quality and quantity aspects.

November 2007: Mario Galaxy
May 2010: Mario Galaxy 2
November 2011: Mario 3D Land
November 2013: Mario 3D World
November 2014: Captain Toad
October 2017: Mario Odyssey

The longest gap between two releases was 2 years and 11 months. The release of their last game was 2 years and 3 months ago. So I think they should have most probably a game ready for this year!
I'm going with Captain Toad Treasure Tracker 2 for this year and Odyssey 2 for next year.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the Cinematic writer decided to add back to his LinkedIn he's working at Retro. He's been there since September, but once I called it out he seemingly took it off like a day later lol.

He's worked in the film industry on stuff like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday Night Lights, Friday the 13th, Machete, etc. He worked on Doom. He's a writer, animator, producer, does cinematics, etc. he has a really big list of accomplishments. Now he's the Cinematics Lead for Retro. I think this is pretty big deal on what he'll bring to the table for Metroid Prime 4.
Metroid Prime 4: Halo 4: Metroid Edition

Nov 8, 2017
It has to be a Mario platformer, most likely SMO2. There's no way they can leave SMO DLC money on the table, it's probably a situation similar to BOTW2 where there was so much to be done they might as well put it all in another game.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
The problem is Captain Toad dlc released on March 14, 2019 so there was no chance of a sequel last year.

we're so close to Halo x Metroid

Yes but I think they would have never released DLC for Captain Toad if a sequel is in development simultaneously. Due to that, I don't think that Captain Toad 2 will really come. I think that EPD Tokyo is developing a new big game (Mario Odyssey 2 or 3D Donkey Kong) and they do also some supervising/supporting work for 3D World Port. Afterwards, they will shift their ressources to Switch 2.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but I think they would have never released DLC for Captain Toad if a sequel is in development simultaneously. Due to that, I don't think that Captain Toad 2 will really come. I think that EPD Tokyo is developing a new big game (Mario Odyssey 2 or 3D Donkey Kong) and they do also some supervising/supporting work for 3D World Port. Afterwards, they will shift their ressources to Switch 2.

I think it's very unlikely there isn't another Captain Toad game. They've gotten far more mileage out of it in the last two years than I think any of us were initially expecting. I'm not expecting a new game this year, but around 2022 would make sense since the original Captain Toad was developed at the same time prototyping for what would become Odyssey was ongoing.

But I agree it's a confusing timetable at EPD Tokyo. They for sure have a high budget game in the works, so if it does come out in 2021 it makes their next gen prospects interesting. There's the potential that 3D Mario ends up being one of the later core Nintendo series on "Switch 2" assuming another 4 year development cycle puts them at 2025.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

So Samus will throw a machete at Ridley that was dismembering some Federation soldier just before.

Jokes aside, sounds good for cinematics at least.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Metroid Prime 4 will end in a QTE confirmed.
if it can match the unparalleled awesomeness of the final battle in MP Federation Force with a full set of four players where our weak link/wild card player ends up firing a super missile from the off, dealing the final killing blow while the rest of us were struggling to stand our ground then I'm cool with that :)

LaserBits

Jan 27, 2018
I know that many of you do not like the idea but I would like a switch MMO - Lite, designed with the Nintendo principles in mind.

LaserBits

Jan 27, 2018
What kind if game are you thinking of when you say "MMO Lite"? Destiny? Warframe?
Well since I played Zelda botw for example, always thought they got the perfect recipe for the "World of Hylure" MMO game. Reminded me of Vanilla WOW in some way cause there was not hand holding and let you explore and discover. What better than to do that with a group of friends. I do not expect a full fledged MMO cause of hardware limitations, but seeing a number of players running around doing their thing would give life to the world and a group finder would manage grouping.

Though to make the nature of the console justice should always design around the ability to play in short bursts and not get carried away by the nature of the genre.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
It does seem like BotW was supposed to have some sort of multiplayer component, but it likely was nothing similar to an MMO.

Probably involved the gamepad/Miiverse and was scrapped with the move to Switch.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well since I played Zelda botw for example, always thought they got the perfect recipe for the "World of Hylure" MMO game. Reminded me of Vanilla WOW in some way cause there was not hand holding and let you explore and discover. What better than to do that with a group of friends. I do not expect a full fledged MMO cause of hardware limitations, but seeing a number of players running around doing their thing would give life to the world and a group finder would manage grouping.

Though to make the nature of the console justice should always design around the ability to play in short bursts and not get carried away by the nature of the genre.

Ah, ok. I've always wondered how Nintendo would go about implementing multiplayer/co-op in a mainline Zelda game tbh, especially since you're not playing an original character. Maybe the sequel will have it.