• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about it, I wonder if Nintendo and Koei Tecmo have an agreement to keep a team working on musou games for them. They've had staff go from Hyrule Warriors > FE Warriors > MUA3. Then once any DLC for Marvel is finished, they'll move onto another Nintendo project.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
will we see a new fatal frame any time soon? what do the people who work on those games at KT do these days?

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
So what's Good-Feel tackling after Yoshi?

I really hope they take another shot at a main WarioLand game. Shake It!/The Shake Dimension wasn't bad, and as a matter of fact, I enjoyed the fact it was all animated by Production IG. Nintendo should fund more "risky" projects like that and I think with the Switch, it's the perfect opportunity.
Maybe it's just me, but I'd love to see the ex-Konami Kobe devs at Good Feel get a chance to revisit a Konami property on their own terms (and likely would be exclusive, if Nintendo had anything to say about it).

Imagine them getting to make a new Mystical Ninja game, after all this time? Or maybe their own Castlevania? Either of which I'd love to see after building up their resumes as much as they have.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
So what's Good-Feel tackling after Yoshi?

I really hope they take another shot at a main WarioLand game. Shake It!/The Shake Dimension wasn't bad, and as a matter of fact, I enjoyed the fact it was all animated by Production IG. Nintendo should fund more "risky" projects like that and I think with the Switch, it's the perfect opportunity.
I definitely want them to take another shot at Wario Land too (and i've mentioned that a few times on Era in the past). Getting Production I.G. back on board would be amazing.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo EPD - Production Group No. 10 (Internal R&D) *
■ Manager / Producer -
Hiroyuki Kimura
■ Project Leads: ?
■ Releases: Pikmin 3, Super Mario Maker, Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS, Super Mario Run, New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
■ Current: ??

I would guess EPD10 is currently on Super Mario Maker 2?

Jan 2, 2018
Do you think we could get a Mario Strikers from Camelot for the UEFA Euro in 2020?
Or would only Next Level Games create a new entry? Perhaps for the World Cup in 2022 then?

I really need a new Mario Strikers.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think we could get a Mario Strikers from Camelot for the UEFA Euro in 2020?
Or would only Next Level Games create a new entry? Perhaps for the World Cup in 2022 then?

I really need a new Mario Strikers.
Camelot has never made a soccer game. The soccer mode in Superstars was developed by Bandai Namco

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are the numbers/names for these development groups what they're actually called internally and such, or are these made up for Era understanding?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Is this also the case for the numbering of the EAD and SPD divisions in old GAF threads, or are those more "confirmed?"
I'm pretty sure the EAD and SPD group numbers you can find online are accurate.

To specify for EPD, I think the only groups that aren't placed yet are Aonuma's group (the Zelda team), Nogami's group (the Animal Crossing/Splatoon team) and Tanabe's group.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

To specify for EPD, I think the only groups that aren't placed yet are Aonuma's group (the Zelda team), Nogami's group (the Animal Crossing/Splatoon team) and Tanabe's group.
Alright, thanks. Aside from these threads on here and the old ones on GAF, what are they sourced from? What other sites track this?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly one month from now we will know all about Animal Crossing. My body can not contain the hype.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, thanks. Aside from these threads on here and the old ones on GAF, what are they sourced from? What other sites track this?
Most of them came from Iwata Asks, Nintendo press profiles (mostly the ones from E3) and a few interviews. For instance, Izuno was fully identified as EPD2 group manager in a Mario Tennis Aces interview from Famitsu.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Since we know almost full 2019 first party lineup, I'll try to guess what 2020 should look like:

January: Super Mario 3D World Plus
February: Nothing
March: Retro's new game (it's nothing big. New IP, cute little 3D platformer. No DK)
April: Nothing
May: WarioWare Switch
June: Pikmin 4
July: Pokkén Tournament 2 New Fighters
August: MercurySteam's New 2D Metroid (but not full 2D, something like Yoshi's Crafted World)
September: Mario Sports Mix 2 (featuring guest characters like Megaman, Pacman, Crash and Rayman but no humanoid chaarcters)
October: Pokémon Let's Go Togepi/Marril - Kirby Musou
November: Bayonetta 3 - Mario & Luigi 6
December: Monolith New IP - Fire Emblem ArcSys fighting game

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That new thread smell

tenor.gif

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Are the numbers/names for these development groups what they're actually called internally and such, or are these made up for Era understanding?

Most of the traditional Japanese developers with a large in-house staff follow this type of organizational structure internally; Nintendo, Square(-Enix), and Capcom being the best examples.

Nintendo didn't make the EAD/SPD groupings obvious. It actually took a lot of piecing together from press sources, Japanese sources, and dedicated research to map out most of their organizational structure. As far as the recent groupings, it's mainly courtesy of some research and a primary source.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Is this also the case for the numbering of the EAD and SPD divisions in old GAF threads, or are those more "confirmed?"

This is why we're always hoping many producers from EPD show up to E3 where they tend to have their group names and numbers in their press bios. Since the big EAD/SPD merger and all of the restructuring, we've not had a full run-through of everyone's new groups to get a full proper picture. It's a miracle EAD Ninja and his people pieced all of this together as well as they did over the years.
Maybe Ninja doesn't wanna self-promote but http://kyoto-report.wikidot.com/ is his sorta-wiki website and micro-community that tries to track all of this. Our thread here (which he ran previously on GAF and here) is essentially just a spin-off of that with a wider outreach.
Miitomo is still incorrectly call as "Miitopia" there, OP.
whycantiholdallthesemiititledgames.jpg

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
This is why we're always hoping many producers from EPD show up to E3 where they tend to have their group names and numbers in their press bios. Since the big EAD/SPD merger and all of the restructuring, we've not had a full run-through of everyone's new groups to get a full proper picture. It's a miracle EAD Ninja and his people pieced all of this together as well as they did over the years.
Fortunately, we'll (almost definitely) have Link's Awakening and Animal Crossing at E3 this year, so we can only hope that Aonuma and/or Nogami show up.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018

Nogami is Animal Crossing producer but i don't know about Animal Crossing Switch. Because He Worked on Splatoon 1 and right after that on Splatoon 2 which released on July 2017. There is no way he could do new Animal Crossing game for new hardware in 2+ years (assuming that Animal Crossing is still coming this fall.)

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
A new IP 3D platformer from Retro would be "nothing big"????
9-Volt always has "interesting" opinions

Nogami is Animal Crossing producer but i don't know about Animal Crossing Switch. Because He Worked on Splatoon 1 and right after that on Splatoon 2 which released on July 2017. There is no way he could do new Animal Crossing game for new hardware in 2+ years (assuming that Animal Crossing is still coming this fall.)
Remind yourself how many projects Aonuma (like 3-4 zelda games concurrently at one point, iirc) is juggling at any one time. Or all of the external producers. They don't just work on one game at a time.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
OP has current Monolith soft project as:? But we know they have the medieval fantasy action game and new xenoblade in development from their job listings. Are we listing just announced games for current projects?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
OP has current Monolith soft project as:? But we know they have the medieval fantasy action game and new xenoblade in development from their job listings. Are we listing just announced games for current projects?
We're not listing unannounced projects. That way we could always list "new Kirby" for HAL or "next Zelda" for EPD3 for example.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
The 2D Mario Team is always referred to as 'Tezuka's' but how accurate is this?

He was Producer on Galaxy 2 and General Producer on 3D Land and 3D World which are similar* roles to those he held on 'his' 2D games (Producer on all 4 NSMB games and Maker) so I'm curious...

*General Producer is more hands-on isn't it? So he may have been more involved in recent 3D games than he was for 2D games in fact.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
I don't think Nintendo will release 3D Wold in January 2020 just because they released nsmbwudx this year. I believe January will be Luigi's Mansion release month.

There are three Games I think have good chances of being delayed: animal crossing, Luigi's mansion and deamon X machina. One of these will be released in 2020.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I really think Super Mario 64 HD is coming next year. Castles... paintings... Makes so much sense after Odyssey.

Any chance Vanpool has been working on Dillon's Rolling Western for Switch in the intervening years?

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
I don't think there will be another Mario port on Switch.
In fact I think Maker 2 and Odyssey 2 will be the last Mario games of this generation.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Is there any reason not to port 3D World eventually? One main series Mario game every FY seems like a pretty good idea to me. They could do well with a schedule like:
  • FY 2017: Super Mario Odyssey
  • FY 2018: New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
  • FY 2019: Super Mario Maker 2
  • FY 2020: Super Mario Odyssey 2
  • FY 2021: Super Mario 3D World Deluxe
Maybe swap around 3D World DX and Odyssey 2, I dunno.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The 2D Mario Team is always referred to as 'Tezuka's' but how accurate is this?

He was Producer on Galaxy 2 and General Producer on 3D Land and 3D World which are similar* roles to those he held on 'his' 2D games (Producer on all 4 NSMB games and Maker) so I'm curious...

*General Producer is more hands-on isn't it? So he may have been more involved in recent 3D games than he was for 2D games in fact.
Nope, quite far off-the mark.

Producer is the more hands on role.

General Producer = runs the general division, that's how Miyamoto was General Producer on pretty much anything that came out of EAD, oversees multiple groups.
Producer = runs the group (like Aonuma with the Zelda group), oversees the games made in that group with its respective directors
Director = in charge of the game itself

Tezuka goes hands on as producer for 2D Mario and the Yoshi series, he doesn't really run a group. Basically those are his special interest babies. That's also how Miyamoto ended up as producer/supervising director on Star Fox Zero, because that was his special interest baby that he had involved himself in more deeply after taking on his "Creative Fellow" position and leaving the "general producer" days behind as Tezuka and Eguchi took over in Kyoto.

edit: to go into more detail, I'm taking this from the kyoto report overview to explain: http://kyoto-report.wikidot.com/nintendo-epd

EPD Management
Shinya Takahashi - General Manager
Katsuya Eguchi - Deputy General Manager
Yoshiaki Koizumi - Deputy General Manager
Keisuke Terasaki - Deputy General Manager
Yoshio Sakamoto - Executive Officer
Takashi Tezuka - Executive Officer

Shinya Takahashi runs all of EPD. That's why you see him in Directs and stuff. He has Miyamoto's old job now, basically. He oversees all of the game development projects. Under that, you have the three Deputy General Managers, Eguchi (oversees all internal EPD Kyoto development), Koizumi (oversees all internal EPD Tokyo development), and Terasaki (oversees all the external productions that EPD Kyoto has in development with partners, like the Yoshi games, Kirby, Fire Emblems, Bayonettas, Xenoblades, etc - anything that isn't made by EPD Kyoto). Then you have Sakamoto and Tezuka as Executive Officers. What their specific role is, I don't know. I recall seeing a post somewhere by EAD Ninja or someone else speculating about that themselves since it's a bit nebulous. It's definitely a special and distinct title due to their seniority but I can't really explain how they actually rank in terms of authority there or what their main duty is. Fact is, we know they take special interst in several key franchises (like Sakamoto with the Mii-titles and Metroid, for example) and Tezuka with 2D Mario and Yoshi first and foremost. And then there's all the group managers running their individual groups as you see them in the OP.

Last edited:

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Is there any reason not to port 3D World eventually? One main series Mario game every FY seems like a pretty good idea to me. They could do well with a schedule like:
  • FY 2017: Super Mario Odyssey
  • FY 2018: New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
  • FY 2019: Super Mario Maker 2
  • FY 2020: Super Mario Odyssey 2
  • FY 2021: Super Mario 3D World Deluxe
Maybe swap around 3D World DX and Odyssey 2, I dunno.
The fact that 3D World's assets wound up in Super Mario Maker 2 honestly says to me 3D World DX is now somewhat redundant.

And, as I mentioned above, Super Mario 64 HD seems like a real contender, given the various design and asset links with Odyssey... for release if not next year (say, to commemorate the opening of Super Nintendo World), then the year after, to give Mario Maker -- let alone some other series -- more time to breathe (also the game's 25th anniversary, for which Peach no doubt would bake a very special cake). Could add some new paintings/worlds and secrets too.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
People don't really buy 2D and 3D Marios for the same reason.
It's not so much that, as it is the fact that the 3D World style in SMM2 feels like Nintendo's chosen method of extracting optimal use out of 3D World (its design, assets, music etc) to make its original development worthwhile (as they've also done with Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad, Mario Maker, DKC Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, and to a lesser extent Splatoon 2). Also releasing a port, to me, crosses a line into cynical superfluity (and retroactively denies the Wii U yet another unique gaming experience, for whatever that's worth).

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think EPD Tokyo is definitely preparing Odyssey 2 for next year. It seems they have around 200 developers that seem unaccounted for since Odyssey finished. Kyoto is so far away I'd assume the teams at Tokyo typically work together under the same direction compared to their colleagues in Kyoto who aren't in fixed teams and can move between projects that need more resources.

Then there's a couple other points like Odyssey being reportedly done by mid-2017, and the post-launch support aside from balloon world being easy to make costumes and hint art. Also it seems like the Captain Toad ports and DLC was done mostly with NST doing the asset work despite the design probably coming from Tokyo.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not so much that, as it is the fact that the 3D World style in SMM2 feels like Nintendo's chosen method of extracting optimal use out of 3D World (its design, assets, music etc) to make its original development worthwhile (as they've also done with Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad, Mario Maker, DKC Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, and to a lesser extent Splatoon 2). Also releasing a port, to me, crosses a line into cynical superfluity (and retroactively denies the Wii U yet another unique gaming experience, for whatever that's worth).
I still don't see this as evidence of 3D World port not happening. the purpose of Mario Maker's and 3D World's existence is much different. Mario Maker 2 needs new themes in order to expand the array of content. 3D World happens to fit the pre-fabricated nature of Mario Maker. it's efficient use of assets, but it's not a replacement. Nintendo wouldn't have released NSMBU Deluxe, otherwise, as Mario Maker would supplant that, by your logic

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is Hayashida's EPD8 inclusive of all three former Tokyo EADs? I'd assume so due to the location.

From what I can tell, most of these production groups seem to map 1:1 with a previous EAD/SPD group, though I'm not sure what happened to the former EAD5 of Wii Fit fame.