• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Yabuki still wants to make ARMS though, and because it sold well, Nintendo would have no problem with him doing it in-house again. I just don't see the need to outsource a 2 year old IP with only one game under its belt.
Yeah ARMS sold well over 2m+ which is very good for new ip, fighting game, but this team can easily make a game that is 10-15m seller.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Yeah ARMS sold well over 2m+ which is very good for new ip, fighting game, but this team can easily make a game that is 10-15m seller.

They could. But does Nintendo really care whether it gets to those numbers or not? As we've seen with series like Pikmin, they're perfectly fine with an IP that stays at a consistent 1-3m sales with each entry. It's profitable, and fills a niche in their library. If a series starts producing diminishing returns however like with F-Zero or Chibi Robo, thats when they need to re-evaluate.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Yabuki still wants to make ARMS though, and because it sold well, Nintendo would have no problem with him doing it in-house again. I just don't see the need to outsource a 2 year old IP with only one game under its belt.

That's fair. I just think outsourcing it gives it a chance at more games faster. I Also think Yabuki would be involved either way, it would just be less hands on if it were a NL collaboration

ARMS seems like the type of IP that could see a huge amount of growth in a sequel

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After the success of Mario Tennis, NLG would probably be best served making Mario Strikers 3. It'd be easily the most successful entry and it'd probably have a short turnaround compared to other games.

Personally, I hope they get to work on something similar to Federation Force for Switch 2, even if it isn't part of the Metroid universe. The game was hamstrung by the 3DS hardware but had some really good ideas behind it. And it could be easily made to incorporate a competitive multiplayer, unlike Metroid Prime 4.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After the success of Mario Tennis, NLG would probably be best served making Mario Strikers 3. It'd be easily the most successful entry and it'd probably have a short turnaround compared to other games.

Personally, I hope they get to work on something similar to Federation Force for Switch 2, even if it isn't part of the Metroid universe. The game was hamstrung by the 3DS hardware but had some really good ideas behind it. And it could be easily made to incorporate a competitive multiplayer, unlike Metroid Prime 4.
Yeah, now would be a good time to make a Federation Force if they wanted

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019

Yeah, now would be a good time to make a Federation Force if they wanted
I did read some stuff about Federation Force which made me think it was the wrong game at the wrong time on the wrong platform - coming 6 years after the underwhelming Other M with no other Metroid on the horizon (even though Samus Returns would end up launching just 13 months later), and coming on a system as limited as the 3DS was for first-person, multiplayer games, it just felt destined to fail. But I did read a Kotaku piece that made me think there were promising ideas in there.

Do Nintendo have another IP that could work with a Federation Force style game? If not, it'd be a new IP. I remember reading that Nintendo's usual decision on whether or not to create a new IP basically stemmed down to them deciding whether or not something from their existing IP library fits the gameplay prototype - but that might just be their decision-making process at EPD. I feel like a straight up Federation Force follow-up will be a hard sell, given the reaction to the first game.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I did read some stuff about Federation Force which made me think it was the wrong game at the wrong time on the wrong platform - coming 6 years after the underwhelming Other M with no other Metroid on the horizon (even though Samus Returns would end up launching just 13 months later), and coming on a system as limited as the 3DS was for first-person, multiplayer games, it just felt destined to fail. But I did read a Kotaku piece that made me think there were promising ideas in there.

Do Nintendo have another IP that could work with a Federation Force style game? If not, it'd be a new IP. I remember reading that Nintendo's usual decision on whether or not to create a new IP basically stemmed down to them deciding whether or not something from their existing IP library fits the gameplay prototype - but that might just be their decision-making process at EPD. I feel like a straight up Federation Force follow-up will be a hard sell, given the reaction to the first game.

Donkey Kong would work.

Edit: How you ask?

DK has long been associated with mechanical salvage imagery and contraptions, dating back to Donkey Kong Country. DK64 further adds to that with it's weapons and armour abilities.

By putting this all together you get a Destiny meets Overwatch style game where different Kongs and Animal buddies represent the playable hero characters and weapons can be looted playing through the game similar to mech abilities in the first game

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The basic concept of Federation Force doesn't really need to be grafted onto an existing IP and I think in this case it was specifically Tanabe who wanted a game about the GF Marines.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Federation Force's issue wasn't the focus on Space Marines at all. Hell, Halo did it well with ODST, same for Republic Commando, and Prime 3 focused on those more than usual as well.
This was a mockup done in 2004 with good reception:
d626ap-36f2c20d-fbbe-4bbc-8487-e14d3bd3ed2e.jpg

It's a different fantasy, but executed well, it could have been way better.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feddie Force's problem was the small Metroid base wanted a good main game before a spinoff.

That and the art style. They should have just made a better version of Hunters

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm very excited for Luigi's Mansion 3 this week. I'm playing Ring Fit Adventure and then there's Pokémon in a couple of weeks. Incredible time for Nintendo games. Just killing it.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Feddie Force's problem was the small Metroid base wanted a good main game before a spinoff.

The game never stood a chance but it didn't help that the first trailer just made it look like an exceptionally low-res version of Metroid Prime. Just not a great fit for the hardware it was on. The 3DS screen was never great but some games still made it work. And Federation Force wasn't the only Nintendo game to suffer from this either (see Codename STEAM in particular which I find extremely difficult to make out anything).

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

The game never stood a chance but it didn't help that the first trailer just made it look like an exceptionally low-res version of Metroid Prime. Just not a great fit for the hardware it was on. The 3DS screen was never great but some games still made it work. And Federation Force wasn't the only Nintendo game to suffer from this either (see Codename STEAM in particular which I find extremely difficult to make out anything).
Two games that would've been received way better on a platform like Switch. The 3DS just wasn't anyone really wanted this type of game. Co-op Metroid on Switch? People would eat that up now (also yes to the "needed proper main game announcement first" thing ofc). HD renders of the CN STEAM art look amazing. Had that been on Switch with a tiny bit more budget on screen it would've done better as well. Let's add Ever Oasis to the list (was gorgeous on 3DS but damn ...another underdog)

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Does anybody think that Nintendo will make some "edgier" games internally? I imagine several developers within EPD would want to create something a bit darker than usual (not too dark obviously).

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
like Splatoon? Octo Expansion? That's pretty much that. Dark af.

Like that yeah! Basically, I want to see developers within Nintendo better define their own style and personality in their games, while still feeling distinctly Nintendo, rather than having everything conform to a strictly rigid homogeneous "Nintendo" style.

I talked about this before, my problem when Miyamoto was General Manager in the EAD era, was that he believed too heavily in the "Nintendo" style that it often made EAD games somewhat homogeneous. Compared that to Takahashi over at SPD, who wasn't as strict on what should feel "Nintendo", and was willing to approve games people wouldn't expect from the company. I'm hoping going forward, Nintendo will allow their teams more of that kind of creative independence. They can still feel like Nintendo games, just not as Ridgid in aesthetics or gameplay.

Jan 2, 2018
Koizumi is alive, let's talk about Jungle Beat 2.

Okay, I'm ready, let's talk about a potential sequel to the best Donkey Kong game of all time.

I loved the first one, never played the sequel, but I really hope we'll get one in the lifecycle of the Switch. Perhaps in 2022 to release it alongside the FIFA World Cup?

Last edited:

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody think they'll do a spiritual successor to Iwata Asks someday? I'd like to see Nintendo give detailed interviews with its developers again.

Well first Nintendo use to have monthly interviews with their game staff - but only for their Japanese homepage. Then we got Iwata Asks which had a mix of formal / informal approach to staff interviews. Now we have... NOTHING.

Takahashi is the only one that makes sense.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
or Nintendo just wasn't involved

That's what I'm saying. It's odd Good Feel decided to publish this on their own without Nintendo considering their strong relationship with them. But like I said, Nintendo is probably more interested in something a bit bigger than an indie sized game from them. This is probably a side project that they're doing while they work on their next game with Nintendo.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what I'm saying. It's odd Good Feel decided to publish this on their own without Nintendo considering their strong relationship with them. But like I said, Nintendo is probably more interested in something a bit bigger than an indie sized game from them. This is probably a side project that they're doing while they work on their next game with Nintendo.
HAL does the same too.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Retro Studios just hired this guy as their Cinematic Lead. I think this is a position they've never had and he may become Retro's writer among doing Cinematics.

He's worked in the film industry over a decade and a half as a director/producer/writing/art lead. He was a Senior Writer at id Software.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So did Game Freak just 2 weeks ago.

Good-Feel has had a mobile division for years & worked without Nintendo before. These independent studios like self-publishing coz it potentially means more money and/or independence for them.
The only third party company Nintendo works with that doesn't do that is Intelligent Systems. They're as close to a first party developer you can get without them technically being one.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Retro Studios just hired this guy as their Cinematic Lead. I think this is a position they've never had and he may become Retro's writer among doing Cinematics.

He's worked in the film industry over a decade and a half as a director/producer/writing/art lead. He was a Senior Writer at id Software.

Nice find! Looks like he's worked at Rooster Teeth for a long time. Game credits include Starhawk and Murdered: Soul Suspect as well.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The studios that work for Nintendo (Game Freak, IS, Good-Feel) often do minor projects for themselves. None are especially ambitious or use too many resources so they are probably simply to be able to experience or indulge. It is something positive that lets them explore their creativity.

Jan 11, 2018

They could still use the Metroid Prime name and call it something else... At this point there is a sub-series within a sub-series. We had MP Hunters and MP Fed Force. They could easily call it something cliche like MP: Tactics, or something silly like MP: Phazon Wars. The concept of a larger Metroid universe spin off is something I've always wanted Nintendo to explore, but Hunters and FF just don't live up to the quality or scope that the Metroid franchise deserves. They have to go ALL IN with an at least decent budget and ample time.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
They could still use the Metroid Prime name and call it something else... At this point there is a sub-series within a sub-series. We had MP Hunters and MP Fed Force. They could easily call it something cliche like MP: Tactics, or something silly like MP: Phazon Wars. The concept of a larger Metroid universe spin off is something I've always wanted Nintendo to explore, but Hunters and FF just don't live up to the quality or scope that the Metroid franchise deserves. They have to go ALL IN with an at least decent budget and ample time.
Yeah, I'm agreed really - it could be meaningfully different in genre terms to anything else Nintendo do, and tonally/visually Nintendo also don't have much that's similar to Metroid.

I'm one of the people who sees 2D Metroid in 2020 as a distinct possibility, so the franchise may yet enter an upswing on the back of a new 2D title, the probably inevitable Prime Trilogy remaster, and Metroid Prime 4 (probably) launching in 2022.

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, I'm agreed really - it could be meaningfully different in genre terms to anything else Nintendo do, and tonally/visually Nintendo also don't have much that's similar to Metroid.

I'm one of the people who sees 2D Metroid in 2020 as a distinct possibility, so the franchise may yet enter an upswing on the back of a new 2D title, the probably inevitable Prime Trilogy remaster, and Metroid Prime 4 (probably) launching in 2022.

For sure. I think we're all hoping for at least a 2D Metroid announcement this year, even if it ends up not making it out. But yeah, a new Metroid spinoff could really be anything... Hunters and FF were essentially completely different games. But I just had the thought that they should probably only use the MP name if they are going to keep it in first person.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I see Metroid making a comeback. 2D Metroid, MPT and MP4 in the next 3 years.

And hopefully it becomes a consistent series where it can get spinoffs due to the main series being successful.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The studios that work for Nintendo (Game Freak, IS, Good-Feel) often do minor projects for themselves. None are especially ambitious or use too many resources so they are probably simply to be able to experience or indulge. It is something positive that lets them explore their creativity.
Yeah. Part Time UFO is great. It's criminal that it won't sell over 100k copies.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Yeah I see Metroid making a comeback. 2D Metroid, MPT and MP4 in the next 3 years.

And hopefully it becomes a consistent series where it can get spinoffs due to the main series being successful.
It'd be great to see the series have a 'Breath of the Wild' moment - not just where it gets the kind of universal acclaim Metroid hasn't really had since Metroid Prime launched back in 2002, but were it breaks out of the sales rut the series has always been stuck in. Obviously we don't know yet how sustained Zelda's success will be, but Link's Awakening strong launch bodes well, as do BotW's ongoing strong sales. Be fascinating to see what shipments are when the quarterly results come out tomorrow. For a series than often sold in the 3 to 5 million range, with a few entries in the 6 to 8 million range, Breath of the Wild's 15 million and counting is an incredible success for Zelda.

I'm really not sure how much head-room there is for Metroid. The normal sales range seems to be somewhere around 700k to 1.5 million, with only Prime and the original managing more than that, with both games coming close to the 3 million mark. If we get a scenario where major Metroid titles (like the next 2D entry and Prime 4) can be relied on to sell in the 3 million or more range, and where spin-offs can reliably sell 1 million or more, then that's actually a stronger commercial position than the franchise has historically had - where Nintendo can't even bank on a Metroid title breaking the million mark, or getting beyond 1.5 million (which neither Super Metroid or Prime 3 managed, for example).

If we or Nintendo wanted Metroid to break out like BotW did, it'd need an entry that sells somewhere between 3 and 5 times the normal sales range, or twice as much as the previous best-selling entries. That'd put a ballpark figure total of 3 million at the lower-end, up to 6 million at the top end. That top end figure is a huge ask, though I think, if the stars align, we could finally see Metroid break the 3 million mark on Switch.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so excited for Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. One of the greatest games ever. Never got its due on Wii. It'll get the sales it deserved to get back then. Shulk looks good. Seems like cut content is coming and it would've been the biggest area of the entire game if it was in. That's just crazy to me. There will go another 100+ hours of my life when it releases.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so excited for Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. One of the greatest games ever. Never got its due on Wii. It'll get the sales it deserved to get back then. Shulk looks good. Seems like cut content is coming and it would've been the biggest area of the entire game if it was in. That's just crazy to me. There will go another 100+ hours of my life when it releases.
Yea that's nice but have you read the good word about the lord and savior of the human race?

568d34e5a70a2.preview.jpg

someday...