• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea that's nice but have you read the good word about the lord and savior of the human race?

568d34e5a70a2.preview.jpg

someday...
Her day will come. I honestly would be super surprised if XCX isn't ported.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I think next year, we'll see Labo "Series 2". The first batch did okay, but Nintendo has said they want to do better in the future. So I think a second series that addresses the complaints of the first is a priority for them. The developers surely have more ideas for kits.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how long it'll be before we see another "Fit" game. I love the hell out of RingFit.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Oh this thread has been given a fancy new look since I was here the last time, great job OP!

Also - shouldnt Torna be in the full list? It was a stand alone release after all..

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'd be great to see the series have a 'Breath of the Wild' moment - not just where it gets the kind of universal acclaim Metroid hasn't really had since Metroid Prime launched back in 2002, but were it breaks out of the sales rut the series has always been stuck in. Obviously we don't know yet how sustained Zelda's success will be, but Link's Awakening strong launch bodes well, as do BotW's ongoing strong sales. Be fascinating to see what shipments are when the quarterly results come out tomorrow. For a series than often sold in the 3 to 5 million range, with a few entries in the 6 to 8 million range, Breath of the Wild's 15 million and counting is an incredible success for Zelda.

I'm really not sure how much head-room there is for Metroid. The normal sales range seems to be somewhere around 700k to 1.5 million, with only Prime and the original managing more than that, with both games coming close to the 3 million mark. If we get a scenario where major Metroid titles (like the next 2D entry and Prime 4) can be relied on to sell in the 3 million or more range, and where spin-offs can reliably sell 1 million or more, then that's actually a stronger commercial position than the franchise has historically had - where Nintendo can't even bank on a Metroid title breaking the million mark, or getting beyond 1.5 million (which neither Super Metroid or Prime 3 managed, for example).

If we or Nintendo wanted Metroid to break out like BotW did, it'd need an entry that sells somewhere between 3 and 5 times the normal sales range, or twice as much as the previous best-selling entries. That'd put a ballpark figure total of 3 million at the lower-end, up to 6 million at the top end. That top end figure is a huge ask, though I think, if the stars align, we could finally see Metroid break the 3 million mark on Switch.
Yeah I'm not sure what direction Retro will take Metroid Prime 4. Do they play it more safe or go a "BotW" route. Switch being so popular will help with sales, but I do hope they can make the series consistently sell at least a few million. Now is the time to break the series out.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I talked bout this on the sales thread yesterday, but why do people think Nintendo has to outsource internally created IPs that don't sell 5m+ copies right away? Pikmin, WarioWare, and Rhythm Heaven for example were never massive sellers, yet they still get made in-house (WarioWare had always been more of a co-developed series, as Intelligent Systems mostly just did programing work).

Nintendo seems fine with internal IPs keeping a steady sales of 1 or 2 million.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo First-Party World Wide MIllion Sellers Update
  1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 19.01 Million
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 15.71 Million
  3. Super Mario Odyssey - 15.38 Million
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 14.54 Million
  5. Pokémon: Let's Go Eevee / Pikachu - 11.28 Million
  6. Splatoon 2 - 9.28 Million
  7. Super Mario Party - 7.59 Million
  8. New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe - 4.59 Million
  9. Super Mario Maker 2 - 3.93 Million
  10. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - 3.13 Million
  11. 1 2 Switch - 3.01 Million
  12. Mario Tennis Aces - 2.75 Million
  13. Kirby: Star Allies - 2.52 Million
  14. Fire Emblem: 3 Houses - 2.29 Million
  15. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 2.25 Million
  16. Arms - 2.21 Million
  17. XenoBlade Chronicles 2 - 1.73 Million
  18. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 1.18 Million
  19. Yoshi's Crafted World - 1.11 Million
  20. Nintendo Labo: Toy Con 01 - Variety Kit - 1.09 Million
  • Octopath Traveler - 1.17 Million (NA/EU)
  • Pokken Tournament DX - 1.16 Million (NA/EU)

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It seems like they usually have at least one remake a year though, don't they? Link's Awakening in 2019, Luigi's Mansion in 2018, Metroid: Samus Returns in 2017, etc.
Not saying there won't be any. Just that I wouldn't go into the new year expecting one or more even. If Grezzo ends up being/staying the remake factory they might have another thing next year who knows. Just wouldn't call it a safe bet.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Not saying there won't be any. Just that I wouldn't go into the new year expecting one or more even. If Grezzo ends up being/staying the remake factory they might have another thing next year who knows. Just wouldn't call it a safe bet.

It only makes sense for the engine to be re-used for a 2021 game? So maybe we are talking another Zelda update or maybe something like Marvelous.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like they usually have at least one remake a year though, don't they? Link's Awakening in 2019, Luigi's Mansion in 2018, Metroid: Samus Returns in 2017, etc.
Like someone just quoted you said we have Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and Detective Club coming. Don't listen to that first person who quoted you. They're wrong.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Since the game credits are out on YouTube:

Mario & Sonic 2020 Produced by Nintendo EPD Production Group No. 2, development assistance by Alpha Dream

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Like someone just quoted you said we have Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and Detective Club coming. Don't listen to that first person who quoted you. They're wrong.
Wrong about what? I said don't go in expecting them. There is nothing to be wrong about. I'm pretty sure it was obvious this was about remakes beyond those who are announced, no?!

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018

So apparently according to Imran who was on Kinda Funny podcast, there were 3ds games cancelled including a new Fire Emblem remake. He suspects that it may have moved onto Switch.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus

So apparently according to Imran who was on Kinda Funny podcast, there were 3ds games cancelled including a new Fire Emblem remake. He suspects that it may have moved onto Switch.

Nintendo knew they'd have to move on from the 3DS eventually, but they probably didn't expect that it'd happen this soon. I wouldn't be surprised if all of these planned games were booted over to the Switch like Sushi Striker was.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I think some people already expecting something like this to be the case, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Since the 3DS's final years were pretty much all remakes/ports, I guess we should expect to see more of those appear on the Switch then?

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
In addition, didn't Nintendo just say expect more 3ds franchises to come to Switch too?

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In addition, didn't Nintendo just say expect more 3ds franchises to come to Switch too?

Perhaps there's a chance, but I wouldn't raise hope that they will resurrect the canned 3DS projects on Switch. Could just mean they are looking to bring over 3DS IP that haven't appeared on Switch yet like Tomodachi or Nintendogs.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They cancelled a Fire Emblem remake? Huh. I wonder how that lines up timewise. Shadows of Valentia came out in 2017, Three Houses was initially announced for 2018... I hope they didn't actually think a new "Echoes" game on 3DS would sell in 2019.

In any case, one of the directors on SoV wanted to remake Binding Blade/FE6 next but I really do hope that they do something with Genealogy first.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

-past titles huge assets -nostalgia isn't enough to reboot; must find way to offer something new

So old IP's aren't coming back at all? It's weird to say this if it's related to Lite because it's not like Switch Lite is getting exclusive games. Switch OG is the main focus.

Nostalgia for what? F-Zero? I don't see how Switch Lite would dictate if F-Zero can comeback or whatever other "nostalgic IP's" they're talking about.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Fire Emblem remakes are happening tbh, whether this one rumored was cancelled or never existed in the first place.