• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So old IP's aren't coming back at all? It's weird to say this if it's related to Lite because it's not like Switch Lite is getting exclusive games. Switch OG is the main focus.

Nostalgia for what? F-Zero? I don't see how Switch Lite would dictate if F-Zero can comeback or whatever other "nostalgic IP's" they're talking about.

I don't think those two questions are necessarily linked like that. It's sounds very similar to what they've always said. If they are going to bring back an old IP, it must offer something new compared to what came before.

The translated Q&A is gonna bring some more clarity into this.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017

So old IP's aren't coming back at all? It's weird to say this if it's related to Lite because it's not like Switch Lite is getting exclusive games. Switch OG is the main focus.

Nostalgia for what? F-Zero? I don't see how Switch Lite would dictate if F-Zero can comeback or whatever other "nostalgic IP's" they're talking about.

I think this first part was likely in response to a question related to how the Lite fills a similar market as the 3DS. They're saying they won't bring titles *just* to Switch Lite to cater to that crowd.

Then the nostalgia means they aren't going to resurrect old games unless there's a new mechanic they like, which is the same line they've been saying since forever. So, yeah, FZero. Lol

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think those two questions are necessarily linked like that. It's sounds very similar to what they've always said. If they are going to bring back an old IP, it must offer something new compared to what came before.

The translated Q&A is gonna bring some more clarity into this.
So, Open world GTA F-Zero really is on the table.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heyo, I hope this is an okay to ask this.

I need help with my 2DS XL, I want to get an SD card so I can buy my games digitally...but I don't know which cards work. The official website says microSDHD, but then it also says only up to 32GB and you can actually go above that. I'm also finding it genuinely difficult finding a microsdhd card.

Has anyone done this before and could help?

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Aside from Next Level Games, I kind of want all of Nintendo's outside studios to make an original IP for the Switch. Good Feel, MonolithSoft, Intelligent Systems, even Grezzo again.
Hey, slow down fella, Good Feel will get their shot at a new IP after they give us a new Wario Land. I think Yoshi's Crafted World sold ok, but it certainly wasn't the hottest platformer on the system (I already spoke with people who think it released in 2018 as opposed to this year), I think Wario has that uniqueness that allows them to shine, plus Wario always gets the coolest artstyle. Anyway, I think Good Feel is starting to feel the Yoshi burn, they need to work on something else and I hope this will happen soon, according to dataminers Crafted World was finished several months before release, so they should release their next title soon compared to the actual release date of Yoshi

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Heyo, I hope this is an okay to ask this.

I need help with my 2DS XL, I want to get an SD card so I can buy my games digitally...but I don't know which cards work. The official website says microSDHD, but then it also says only up to 32GB and you can actually go above that. I'm also finding it genuinely difficult finding a microsdhd card.

Has anyone done this before and could help?
www.resetera.com

Nintendo Community Thread |OT| *This Space for Rent*

NintendoEra Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/rEXr9tC Welcome to the NintendoEra Community thread! The focus of this thread will be to serve as an archive for the important Nintendo related threads on ResetEra, as well as just a general hangout space for Nintendo fans. Primarily...

for general questions like this.

Anyhow, it's called microSDHC (HC for high capacity), not microSDHD. people use bigger cards just fine. Nintendo is super conservative with these things. Also, 32GB will go a long way on 3DS

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Hey, slow down fella, Good Feel will get their shot at a new IP after they give us a new Wario Land. I think Yoshi's Crafted World sold ok, but it certainly wasn't the hottest platformer on the system (I already spoke with people who think it released in 2018 as opposed to this year), I think Wario has that uniqueness that allows them to shine, plus Wario always gets the coolest artstyle. Anyway, I think Good Feel is starting to feel the Yoshi burn, they need to work on something else and I hope this will happen soon, according to dataminers Crafted World was finished several months before release, so they should release their next title soon compared to the actual release date of Yoshi

I feel like Nintendo should take Wario Land back in-house. I think a younger team could do something interesting with the series. In fact, I feel like some other IPs Nintendo had outsourced recently should be moved back in-house as well. Metroid included. There's no reason Nintendo can't design a Metroid game internally, if not completely on their own. After all, Star Fox was taken back in-house.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Nintendo should take Wario Land back in-house. I think a younger team could do something interesting with the series. In fact, I feel like some other IPs Nintendo had outsourced recently should be moved back in-house as well. Metroid included. There's no reason Nintendo can't design a Metroid game internally, if not completely on their own. After all, Star Fox was taken back in-house.
Well, Retro should count as in-house, shouldn't it? Retro is fully owned by Nintendo, unlike Good-Feel for example.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Well, Retro should count as in-house, shouldn't it? Retro is fully owned by Nintendo, unlike Good-Feel for example.

While Retro is owned by Nintendo. I don't count them as in-house since they don't have Nintendo branding in their name, and aren't based in Nintendo's offices. That's like saying Naughty Dog is in-house for Sony. By in-house, I'm refering to Nintendo EPD, where the game is designed, prototyped, and produced within the Kyoto development offices. Bringing in a co-development partner to program the game to get it out faster ala Star Fox Zero could work as well. But preferably, I want to see a new Metroid developed entirely in-house at the Kyoto team.

There's no reason not to do a new Metroid in-house either. With Other M, Team Ninja was brought in because Sakamoto and his team didn't have enough 3D talent for the game. But now? He's got direct access to some of the best 3D talent within Nintendo. They have no excuse not to make a new one internally.

Last edited:

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
While Retro is owned by Nintendo. I don't count them as in-house since they don't have Nintendo branding in their name, and aren't based in Nintendo's offices. That's like saying Naughty Dog is in-house for Sony. By in-house, I'm refering to Nintendo EPD, where the game is designed, prototyped, and produced within the Kyoto development offices. Bringing in a co-development partner to program the game to get it out faster ala Star Fox Zero could work as well. But preferably, I want to see a new Metroid developed entirely in-house at the Kyoto team.
While I like the idea, I think if Nintendo EPD had the right people for the job they would have gone through with it. But sadly, it seems like the people in Kyoto don't know what to do with the series and why exactly it is loved by the fans. So, who knows? We may even have dodged a bullet. 🤷‍♂️
I do wonder why we didn't get another Metroid by Intelligent Systems though. Too busy with FE?

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
While I like the idea, I think if Nintendo EPD had the right people for the job they would have gone through with it. But sadly, it seems like the people in Kyoto don't know what to do with the series and why exactly it is loved by the fans. So, who knows? We may even have dodged a bullet.

Then pass it over to a younger team then. Surely there's younger directors within Nintendo that can do the series justice. Afterall, we saw what a younger team did for BotW and Mario Odyssey, along with new ideas like Splatoon, ARMS, Labo, Ring-Fit, etc.

I do wonder why we didn't get another Metroid by Intelligent Systems though. Too busy with FE?

Intelligent Systems only ever did programing work on Super Metorid. Nintendo R&D1 did all of the design, production, and prototyping. R&D1/SPD and Intelligent Systems were located in the same building at the time, so they often worked together of several titles such as the first few Fire Emblem and Advance Wars entries, the Card Battle games, and later entries in the WarioWare series.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Then pass it over to a younger team then. Surely there's younger directors within Nintendo that can do the series justice. Afterall, we saw what a younger team did for BotW and Mario Odyssey, along with new ideas like Splatoon, ARMS, Labo, Ring-Fit, etc.
I suppose they deemed Metroid to be too western-oriented as the games aren't very popular over there. The tone of the series is also very different compared to Mario, Splatoon, ARMS, etc., so maybe they weren't very comfortable with the idea of developing a game in a series with a much darker, more serious tone compared to the games they usually develop.
Intelligent Systems only ever did programing work on Super Metorid. Nintendo R&D1 did all of the design, production, and prototyping. R&D1/SPD and Intelligent Systems were located in the same building at the time, so they often worked together of several titles such as the first few Fire Emblem and Advance Wars entries, the Card Battle games, and later entries in the WarioWare series.
Ah, that makes sense then. Always wondered how the IntSys involvement came about. Interesting!

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I suppose they deemed Metroid to be too western-oriented as the games aren't very popular over there. The tone of the series is also very different compared to Mario, Splatoon, ARMS, etc., so maybe they weren't very comfortable with the idea of developing a game in a series with a much darker, more serious tone compared to the games they usually develop.

Maybe, maybe not. I mean, Nintendo's not opposed to games with a somewhat darker tone. I actually think they'd be more willing to do those kinds of games in-house again, now that the development divisions have merged. If Miyamoto was still calling the shots, then yeah I'd think he'd be against games like that. But I feel Takahashi isn't opposed to doing something like Metroid in-house.

Nintendo isn't a stranger to making "Darker" games internally. This used to be R&D1's defining point compared to EAD. So it's something I'd like to see Nintendo do more often again.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
This era with no new mainline Mario Kart game makes it seem like the perfect time to release a brand new F-Zero, especially given all the F-Zero HD assets used in MK8.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
There is no reason to move in-house Metroid now that it found a welcoming and capable home at Mercury Steam

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's about opportunity cost. Nintendo EAD is apart from Game Freak the Nintendo studio that produces the highest quality and sales.

Except for personal projects such as Pikmin or ARMS or experimental projects such as RingFit, it is normal for things like Wario to be delegated to other studies.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
There is no reason to move in-house Metroid now that it found a welcoming and capable home at Mercury Steam

If the Metroid team really likes Mercury Steam's work on Metroid, then I can see that. But if there's a team that wants to do Metroid in-house, then I don't see why Nintendo shouldn't let them do it.

It's about opportunity cost. Nintendo EPD is apart from Game Freak the Nintendo studio that produces the highest quality and sales.

Except for personal projects such as Pikmin or ARMS or experimental projects such as RingFit, it is normal for things like Wario to be delegated to other studies.

That only really applies to big franchises though. Sure, Mario and Animal Crossing are expected to do big numbers. But with niche franchises and New IPs, the expectations are lower. Nintendo said before that they won't reject ideas from their in-house teams, so if somebody within the company wants to make a Wario Land game, they'll do it so long as they can make it a success.

It ultimately comes down to the developers. Nintendo EPD teams should be striving to make what THEY want to make, not what corporate HQ tells them to make.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People forget Nintendo had to develop for 2 systems. They didn't have the flexibility to work on so many games in house. Now with one system we'll probably see them make some of their own IP's in house again

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Regarding the WarioWare series. Do you think Nintendo will be more involved with the development of the Switch game? Nintendo had typically designed and developed the series internally with Intelligent Systems serving mostly in support roles. But NIntendo itself had much less involvement with WarioWare Gold, which gave Intelligent Systems more creative control over the game.

Will EPD be more involved with the Switch entry?

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the WarioWare series. Do you think Nintendo will be more involved with the development of the Switch game? Nintendo had typically designed and developed the series internally with Intelligent Systems serving mostly in support roles. But NIntendo itself had much less involvement with WarioWare Gold, which gave Intelligent Systems more creative control over the game. Will EPD be more involved with the Switch entry?

Goro Abe is still the creative director of the series, and Gold was more of a compilation / remix. With that said I'm not sure how much dedicated staff Nintendo will internally allocate to a WarioWare game again. It was really odd that it moved away from Sakamoto/Yamano's production group. But I think some of that is because they don't work or manage IS anymore, Tanabe and Yamagami have the working relationship now.

People forget Nintendo had to develop for 2 systems. They didn't have the flexibility to work on so many games in house. Now with one system we'll probably see them make some of their own IP's in house again

I wouldn't say Nintendo math worked the way we wanted here. We really aren't getting double the games per say because they are still developing for two platforms (mobile, switch). Also each gen, every game requires more prototyping, development, and production demands.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017

I get that, but like Retro Studios really isn't any different than Nintendo Software Technology (NST) or Nintendo European Research & Development (NERD). Off-shoot outside Japan game studios. NST and Retro are run the same way, the Presidents (Yamashiro and Kelbaugh) come directly from Nintendo. It's just difficult because Nintendo themselves keeps a hierarchy between their old school Kyoto (and Tokyo) offices to their outside subsidiary Nintendo developers.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goro Abe is still the creative director of the series, and Gold was more of a compilation / remix. With that said I'm not sure how much dedicated staff Nintendo will internally allocate to a WarioWare game again. It was really odd that it moved away from Sakamoto/Yamano's production group. But I think some of that is because they don't work or manage IS anymore, Tanabe and Yamagami have the working relationship now.

I wouldn't say Nintendo math worked the way we wanted here. We really aren't getting double the games per say because they are still developing for two platforms (mobile, switch). Also each gen, every game requires more prototyping, development, and production demands.
Well I wasn't expecting double the output. Everyone is making HD games now. Also it's too soon to say since were probably only halfway through the Switch's life.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus

I think a large part of the reason is due to restructuring. Before, Intelligent Systems and Nintendo R&D1/SPD both ran out of Nintendo's Kyoto Research Center near their HQ, so they had close relationship, and it allowed IS to directly assist development on several R&D1 and SPD Group 1 titles like Super Metroid and WarioWare.

Since 2013, Intelligent Systems had moved into its own building near Nintendo HQ, and Shortly afterwards, SPD merged with EAD, and moved to Nintendo's new Kyoto Development Center. That could be a reason why Nintendo was less involved with Gold, as there's now a larger distance between the two developers. Another reason is potentially because the main WarioWare team within Nintendo is busy with the Switch game, while a seperate team at IS did most of the work on Gold.

Mobile games only make up less than 5% of Nintendo's yearly output though, so I'd say that barely counts. While its true big games take more resources these days, 95% of their resources consolidated to one system, plus the elimination of another pillar to prop up with main entries in IP like Mario Kart, means that it all balances out in the end. So instead of 2 main Mario Karts, we can just get one, while the developers work on something else. (IE, Mario Kart 8 DX and ARMS). Or Resources that would've gone to a Handheld Luigi's Mansion game, can be better spent on getting 3 out faster.

Even with their big games requiring more resources, Nintendo's games are still generally made on lower budgets and smaller team sizes than most AAA developers. BotW and Mario Odyssey are more exceptions to the rule.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Mobile games only make up less than 5% of Nintendo's yearly output though, so I'd say that barely counts.

While Nintendo publishes two mobile games a year compared to 12-15 for their hybrid platform as a whole, when it comes to their lead R&D, mobile tends to take 1/5 of the EPD in-house teams each year.

Even with their big games requiring more resources, Nintendo's games are still generally made on lower budgets and smaller team sizes than most AAA developers. BotW and Mario Odyssey are more exceptions to the rule.

Even if Nintendo's conservative approach shadows other AAA affairs, they are still increasing their R&D expenditures per project every year.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
While Nintendo publishes two mobile games a year compared to 12-15 for their hybrid platform as a whole, when it comes to their lead R&D, mobile tends to take 1/5 of the EPD in-house teams each year.

That's still not a whole lot though, especially since half of Nintendo's mobile games were co-developed or made by an outside studio.

Even if Nintendo's conservative approach shadows other AAA affairs, they are still increasing their R&D expenditures per project every year.

True. Games require more staff with each new generation to take advantage of new/better hardware. Even 3DS games generally required more development staff and larger budgets than their DS counterparts.

My point was that Nintendo budgets aren't so huge that they need to sell a 10+ million copies to turn a profit off them. Many of Nintendo's games fall more in the AA range, where the budgets and team sizes are larger than a standard indie game, but generally much lower than your average AAA title.

Keeping things under control like this is what lets Nintendo experiment with new ideas and IP as combined with luxuries of being a platform holder, lets them do things most third party companies of similar size could only dream of doing. Hence, ARMS, 1-2 Switch, Astral Chain, Ring Fit Adventure, Labo, etc.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
One thing I noticed about Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, is that the Nintendo staff working on the proudction side were mostly from Nintendo of America, including Nintendo's Producers and Director for the game. Despite being a first party game, it seems Marvel UA3 was something NOA pushed for rather than NCL.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It's about opportunity cost. Nintendo EAD is apart from Game Freak the Nintendo studio that produces the highest quality and sales.

EAD does not exist anymore^^

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
One thing I noticed about Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, is that the Nintendo staff working on the proudction side were mostly from Nintendo of America, including Nintendo's Producers and Director for the game. Despite being a first party game, it seems Marvel UA3 was something NOA pushed for rather than NCL.
Hey, wouldn't that be an increased degree of autonomy?

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
I have finished Luigi's Mansion 3 and few things that i noticed in credits, Nvidia is listed in Special thanks section, seems to me that they Next Level Games some advice around Tegra chip in Switch. Miyamoto listed in special thanks too and also Koizumi.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have finished Luigi's Mansion 3 and few things that i noticed in credits, Nvidia is listed in Special thanks section, seems to me that they Next Level Games some advice around Tegra chip in Switch. Miyamoto listed in special thanks too and also Koizumi.
Nvidia also appeared in DQ11, so I'm guessing they provided some technical assistance

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, wouldn't that be an increased degree of autonomy?

I thought we already knew that NoA was involved in getting the deal done. Who's the NoA director?

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo Employee Count Updated (September 2019)

Nintendo Co., Ltd - 2,378 Employees (2,286 March)
Nintendo (Consolidated) - 6,113 Employees (5,944 March)