• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Here's what the Ring Fit Adventure music composers have worked on previously, if anyone's interested:

• Shinji Ushiroda - Rhythm Heaven Fever, DKC Returns, Rhythm Heaven Megamix, DKC Tropical Freeze, Miitopia.
  • Maasa Miyoshi - Miitimo, 1-2-Switch.
  • Shiho Fujii - Skyward Sword, NSMBU, MK8, Splatoon, Mario Odyssey.
  • Asuka Hayazaki - Mario 3D Land, Pikmin 3, Mario Maker, MK8D, Splatoon 2 (Ver. 4.0.0).

Seems like Ushiroda was the lead composer for the game. Unless he also worked on 1-2-Switch/LABO and/or any mobile titles, this is his first big project since Miitopia in late 2016. Maasa Miyoshi's last known game (besides Smash Ultimate) was 1-2-Switch which released only 3 months later.

Hayazaki's position is weird. Since Mario Maker, she's usually credited last/near the bottom in any game she works on. She hasn't led a project with available credits since Pikmkn 3, which makes me think that she's also worked on some non-credited games in recent years.

With that, there are still a few EPD composers who haven't been credited for composition since the Switch's release. Again, they could have easily worked on a mobile title:

• Masaru Tajima - Disney Art Academy (2016)
  • Masami Yone - Rhythm Heaven Megamix (2015)
  • Shinobu Nagata - Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo (2016)
  • Mahito Yokota - Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U) (2014) (May have moved into Sound Manager position permanently)
  • Megumi Inoue - Miitopia (2016) (May have moved into Sound Supervisor position permanently)

There have also been some that have worked on a project since the Switch launch, but in a very small capacity; Kazumi Totaka is likely the sound director/lead composer for New Horizons. Kenji Yamamoto is likely working on Prime 4 and possibly a new 2D Metroid title but it's hard to say if he will actually compose/arrange. I wouldn't be shocked if Kenta Nagata is the sound director/lead composer for MK Tour.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not really. NCL still has to sign off on it. The whole "NoA needs more autonomy" has always been a load of crap. Nintendo needs a unified vision for the company, not separate visions for each region.

"More autonomy" has never been about separate visions but the possibility of getting games like MAU3 off the ground.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
"More autonomy" has never been about separate visions but the possibility of getting games like MAU3 off the ground.

Even still, I think NCL/EPD does just fine managing their Western developed games. Next Level Games for example sung nothing but praise working with Nintendo. I'd like to see more western developed titles from Nintendo, but I don't really care who oversees it.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
We wouldn't have gotten many games during the GameCube era I feel like without NoA.

It was actually NCL who managed many of the Gamecube and Wii era western partnerships. Since then, Nintendo's had a good releationship with Retro Studios, Next Level Games, Monster Games, Headstrong/Kuju, and a couple of smaller studios as well.

I think it was the Wii U/3DS era where Nintendo's western development really dwindled. The only big partners Nintendo has now are Retro and Next Level at this point.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was actually NCL who managed many of the Gamecube and Wii era western partnerships. Since then, Nintendo's had a good releationship with Retro Studios, Next Level Games, Monster Games, Headstrong/Kuju, and a couple of smaller studios as well.

I think it was the Wii/3DS era where Nintendo's western development really dwindled. The only big partners Nintendo has now are Retro and Next Level at this point.
This is why it's so sad...they only depend on 2 western studios and one is a first party studio...I want more western support

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
This is why it's so sad...they only depend on 2 western studios and one is a first party studio...I want more western support

Same here. But as I mentioned before, I don't think Nintendo should find western developers to make "Nintendo Uncharted" to compete with Sony and Microsoft. To me, Nintendo should be finding western developers who can make games Sony and Microsoft studios wouldn't make. Nintendo should be finding games that have that western feel and style, while still keeping within their philosophy of offering something new and surprising for gamers.

Retro's Singing RPG could've been something like that. While it's a shame it never went anywhere, Its a good example of how Nintendo should be trying to encourage more western studios to think outside the box. In other words, I don't want Nintendo to produce more western games just to fill a quota. I want them to get games that offer something different from other western developed games.

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even still, I think NCL/EPD does just fine managing their Western developed games. Next Level Games for example sung nothing but praise working with Nintendo. I'd like to see more western developed titles from Nintendo, but I don't really care who oversees it.

Always room for improvement 🤷🏻‍♂️ And there's obvious benefits to having a production team in the US when dealing with US teams. Not like it'd replace NCL's external production teams.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Always room for improvement 🤷🏻‍♂️ And there's obvious benefits to having a production team in the US when dealing with US teams. Not like it'd replace NCL's external production teams.

One thing that having a western team working with EPD has though, is ensuring a Nintendo level of polish and quality. Luigi's Mansion 2 and 3 wouldn't be anywhere near as good if NCL wasn't there guide them along. Marvel UA3 is a decent game, but I feel like it'd be an even better game if EPD/Tanabe had more oversight.

To be honest, Nintendo of America never really produced much of anything noteworthy in the N64/GBC days. It was mostly sports games and Rare oversight, with the occasional Warlocked thrown in. NCL at least got us Metroid Prime and Next Level Games.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One thing that having a western team working with EPD has though, is ensuring a Nintendo level of polish and quality. Luigi's Mansion 2 and 3 wouldn't be anywhere near as good if NCL wasn't there guide them along. Marvel UA3 is a decent game, but I feel like it'd be an even better game if NCL/Tanabe were overseeing it.

To be honest, Nintendo of America never really produced much of anything noteworthy in the N64/GBC days. It was mostly sports games and Rare oversight, with the occasional Warlocked thrown in. NCL at least got us Metroid Prime and Next Level Games.

Sure but that quality had to start somewhere. You can't expect it to sprout from dry soil.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want stuff like Eternal Darkness again. I want more variety and some darker stuff. No I'm not saying make fricking Uncharted or something. Let's get a Nintendo first person shooter finally. Let's get something of high quality either from a western studio for Nintendo or EPD make a first person shooter. Let's get another horror game like Eternal Darkness. Why not get like one series that's a little more realistic like Uncharted or whatever? Take Star Tropics and make it a darker adventure game.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I just want stuff like Eternal Darkness again. I want more variety and some darker stuff. No I'm not saying make fricking Uncharted or something. Let's get a Nintendo first person shooter finally. Let's get something of high quality either from a western studio for Nintendo or EPD make a first person shooter. Let's get another horror game like Eternal Darkness. Why not get like one series that's a little more realistic like Uncharted or whatever? Take Star Tropics and make it a darker adventure game.

Again, Nintendo shouldn't be getting western studios to make clones of Sony or Microsoft first party games. Nintendo should be finding unique ideas that studios like Naughty Dog can't or wouldn't do. Nintendo's at its best when they're challenging their developers to create something unique and unexpected. Games like Eternal Darkness are a good example, and I agree I want more stuff like that from Nintendo.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, Nintendo shouldn't be getting western studios to make clones of Sony or Microsoft first party games. Nintendo should be finding unique ideas that studios like Naughty Dog or 343i can't or wouldn't do. Nintendo's at its best when they're challenging their developers to create something unique and unexpected. Games like Eternal Darkness are a good example, and I agree I want more stuff like that from Nintendo.
I don't fully agree sorry. I'm not saying to make uncharted games, but have one game series that's a little more realistic is fine by me. I'm not asking to turn Nintendo into Sony. Star Tropics is the IP I would use to reboot into a whole new dark slightly more realistic series. This is challenging their studios since they've never done it.

Everything else I agree with. Someone said EPD could have the Mario Kart team make a first person shooter. That'd be great to see. Everything will always have Nintendo's twist on it.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I don't fully agree sorry. I'm not saying to make uncharted games, but have one game series that's a little more realistic is fine by me. I'm not asking to turn Nintendo into Sony. Star Tropics is the IP I would use to reboot into a whole new dark slightly more realistic series

I don't mind a darker game, so long as that's what the developers feel like the game needs. Making something dark for the sake of making it dark is almost always a recipe for disaster.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind a darker game, so long as that's what the developers feel like the game needs. Making something dark for the sake of making it dark is almost always a recipe for disaster.

This, honestly. If you're going to make a dark game, make it from a series that was already dark, or just make a new IP entirely. What's the point of taking something aimed at kids, like StarTropics, and making it "dark and mature"?

Startropics5-300x169.png

This is what people want to be Nintendo's AAA, dark Uncharted clone? Like, what?

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
This is what people want to be Nintendo's AAA, dark Uncharted clone? Like, what?

I feel like people want Nintendo to have their own "Halo" or "Ghosts of Tsushima" type games so that they can be taken more seriously by PlayStation or Xbox players. But the appeal of Nintendo and their games is that they're not like PlayStation or Xbox. Nintendo's entire MO is to offer games and products other publishers and developers would be too scared to touch. This is what Nintendo argues, makes their brands and products stand out.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This, honestly. If you're going to make a dark game, make it from a series that was already dark, or just make a new IP entirely. What's the point of taking something aimed at kids, like StarTropics, and making it "dark and mature"?

Startropics5-300x169.png

It can be whatever. It doesn't have to be that lol

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It can be a brand new IP. It was just an example throwing ST out there. I know it's not something well received in the Nintendo community saying Nintendo could get a western dev to make an Uncharted type of game, but idc. I think it'd be cool. Nobody says to turn into Sony or Microsoft of EA. Having one game or series doesn't change your DNA. The Mario's and Zelda and Pokémon and Xenoblade, etc etc don't magically disappear.

It's like me telling Microsoft it'd be cool if they had a JRPG series to themselves. It doesn't change who they are. They've just further diversified their first party lineup.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
It can be a brand new IP. It was just an example throwing ST out there. I know it's not something well received in the Nintendo community saying Nintendo could get a western dev to make an Uncharted type of game, but idc. I think it'd be cool.

It's just not who Nintendo is as a company though. Nintendo favors games that are different from everything else on the market. Western or no, they believe each game/IP should offer something different from other games. Remember, Nintendo shot down the initial Fantasy pitch for Astral Chain because they felt it didn't make the game stand out. This gave us the much more original Cyberpunk setting instead.

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo doesn't operate this way. They don't start creating a game thinking which genre they should experiment with or which old IP they should revive - they start with a game concept and then apply it to a genre or IP.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

Startropics5-300x169.png

I mean uncharted isn't even dark and brooding to start with, it's indiana jones and tomb raider. Startropics being a pseudo "light uncharted" isn't a stretch from luigis mansion sort of being a resident evil.

I'd make a case that metroid prime 2 is darker and more "mature" than all 4 uncharteds. Lol I mean 4 is the most serious one, and the game starts with nate playing around with a nerf pop gun and then playing crash bandicoot.

Last edited:

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I mean uncharted isn't even dark and brooding to start with, it's indiana jones and tomb raider. Startropics being a pseudo "light uncharted" isn't a stretch from luigis mansion sort of being a resident evil.

They weren't suggesting a "lighter" Uncharted game. I think that a modern action adventure Startropics as fine, as long as it keeps its goofy charm. The idea of it becoming a "dark" series like what was suggested seems pretty silly to me.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
They weren't suggesting a "lighter" Uncharted game. I think that a modern action adventure Startropics as fine, as long as it keeps its goofy charm. The idea of it becoming a "dark" series like what was suggested seems pretty silly to me.
I mean making it dark and gritty would be bad, yea. I could see it becoming sort of like goonies-ish though to where it's "darker", but like twilight princes tier darkness or something, not talking tlou dark. Like picturing those cave dungeons and stuff, but reimagined into being kind of a pirates of the Caribbean adventure thing.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I mean making it dark and gritty would be bad, yea. I could see it becoming sort of like goonies-ish though to where it's "darker", but like twilight princes tier darkness or something, not talking tlou dark. Like picturing those cave dungeons and stuff, but reimagined into being kind of a pirates of the Caribbean adventure thing.

If it has a sort of "PotC" adventure tone, that would probably fit the series. It certainly would be interesting to revisit it (and introduce the series to a Japanese audience).

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Since 2015, Several Nintendo EPD Groups have created to create their own new IP(s)

Production Group 5 Created Splatoon
Production Group 9 Created ARMS
Production Group 1 Created Sushi Striker (with indieszero)
Production Group 4 Created 1-2 Switch, Nintendo Labo, and Ring Fit Adventure

So that just leaves Groups 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, and 10

I still think the ones who worked on external games will create their own internal games on the Switch. Honestly, I want all the production groups to create their own original IPs on the Switch. I think each group should be able to define their own style and personality with their work.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
so they're in the game after all?

Any idea on what NERD assisted in?
Probably the technical side of Ring-Con, Leg Strap, and the Heart-Rate measurements if I have to guess.
If you look at their news post about their Labo VR contributions, this was probably a joint effort getting things done for both of these projects since all of it involves the IR sensor and precise motion tracking..

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
In my opinion, the issue is more about variety than tone.

Metroid Prime was a great game for itself, with a very strong identity, AND in terms of variety, it also enabled Nintendo to have its own FPS. Prime and the Rare FPS on 64 have nothing to do with each others, but they both are high quality FPS, which is a thing Nintendo can't produce internally.

To complete the varitety of games a player on a Nintendo console can access to, providing high quality standards seems more relevant than to know if a game is more or less dark. Before Splatoon, we had no in house TPS either. Before Smash, we were lacking of fighting games.

Nintendo could edit a kind of Uncharted game, not to seem more mature or whatever, but to allow Switch players to access a type of game that is currently missing on Nintendo consoles. That's also the reason why Nintendo edit sports games. Before working on Prime, Retro was supposed to create an NFL game for Nintendo, because EA did not want to publish Madden on Nintendo devices.

I think an Uncharted/Tomb Raider like developed by Nintendo would not have to be a clone, exactly the same way Metroid Prime was bringing a Nintendo FPS without being nobody's clone.

Last edited:

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
Glanced through the Ring Fit Adventure credits and noticed several of the Splatoon team. Also that we now know what the Downwell guy worked on at Nintendo

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
he left real quick. think he said he didn't jive with a more corporate structure so he went back to independent

He did say he enjoyed his time there though. The thing with big companies is that there's a lot of aspects at play for a game besides making it. You also have to work with marketing department, you need to review the game with the higher ups, and you have a very busy schedule as well (or at worst, the infamous crunch). It's understandable why he left, as he prefers the slower paced, and more relaxed nature of indie development.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I swear like 15 or so people have left Retro this year. I get people will come in and out, but it looks like so many people have left this year as if they completed a project.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Star Tropics should be full of whimsy

perhaps even take up the classic Zelda mantle now that BotW is the new template

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Star Tropics does come back though it'd be cool if we had a different protagonist. I'm probably about to upset more people again lol. Mike Jones looks like a doofus. I want a islander female of color. To finally have a strong female character of color for Nintendo would be appreciated at some point.

No create a character or avatar stuff either.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
If Star Tropics does come back though it'd be cool if we had a different protagonist. I'm probably about to upset more people again lol. Mike Jones looks like a doofus. I want a islander female of color. To finally have a strong female character of color for Nintendo would be appreciated at some point.
Or maybe (and I'm probably about to upset you) at that point you make a new adventure IP based from the ground up on Pacific island culture and such. I don't think there would be any point to calling such a game StarTropics (although I'm admittedly not the most familiar with the IP)

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Already a thread, but Nintendo has announced a new eShop title; The Stretchers.

It's out now in Japan and is in multiple languages, so it should be released worldwide soon.

Appears to be made by Tarsier Studios according to the other thread. I think they're the little nightmares guys? Definitely Western. Been a few Nintendo X wetsern indie collabs on Switch now (Cadence, this, Snipperclips).

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Appears to be made by Tarsier Studios according to the other thread. I think they're the little nightmares guys? Definitely Western. Been a few Nintendo X wetsern indie collabs on Switch now (Cadence, this, Snipperclips).

Cadence was your typical collaboration that runs through the licensing/localization groups and is co-published by Nintendo (like FEWarriors / Mario Rabbids). Snipperclips and Stretchers are games developed by Western indies with NST and produced by Nintendo EPD Production Group No. 2.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Cadence was your typical collaboration that runs through the licensing/localization groups and is co-published by Nintendo (like FEWarriors / Mario Rabbids). Snipperclips and Stretchers are games developed by Western indies with NST and produced by Nintendo EPD Production Group No. 2.

For Cadence, I thought that EPD sought out the devs after playing NotND and ended up going through licensing for whatever reason?