• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cadence was your typical collaboration that runs through the licensing/localization groups and is co-published by Nintendo (like FEWarriors / Mario Rabbids). Snipperclips and Stretchers are games developed by Western indies with NST and produced by Nintendo EPD Production Group No. 2.
Mario and Rabbids isn't co-published by Nintendo (except in japan)

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Stretchers looks like Nintendo is abandoning their very essence. To have something gritty and cinematic like that, by a Western developer to boot, feels dirty, almost like sacrilege. I hope they come to their senses and refocus on what they are really about.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like we're really going to get a lot of new IP's from Nintendo this gen. Furukawa wasn't kidding around

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's truly fantastic.

Hopefully we'll see some bigger budget titles too.
Yep. I want this to trickle across every single EPD team. I know it's probably a little harder for the 3D Zelda/3D Mario teams to make new IP's, but from EPD they're the 2 teams I want to see big budget new IPs from (non Mario and Zelda related).

Luckily, Monolith Soft is making a new IP and it should be around the budget of a Xenoblade I would think.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
It's truly fantastic.

Hopefully we'll see some bigger budget titles too.
Yep, I want to see the new Ips from the bigger teams too, obviously we know about Monolith, but I want something from people like Grezzo, IntSys or the 2D Mario team. The biggest dream would be a new IP from the Zelda team but given BotW 2 is a thing that's not going to happen on Switch.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyways haha 🕵️‍♂️

Nintendo's new IP's so far on Switch

-Labo
-Snipperclips
-The Stretchers
-Ring Fit Adventure
-Astral Chain
-Sushi Striker
-ARMS
-1-2 Switch
-Mario + Rabbids (not really theirs, but still a game that will never leave Switch)

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna gush a bit, but my most wanted sequel on Switch that has a plausible chance of happening (RIP DKC by Retro...) is Captain Toad 2. The first game was a really positive surprise for me on Wii U since it was a Nintendo experience we didnt have before, and I group it with games in a similar vein like Splatoon, Mario Maker, and Nintendo Land as some of my favorite memories of that system because they were so fresh at the time.

What would excite me is if they could be experimental with the same approach they had with the first game. There really doesn't need to be an established formula for this series since it's so small scale. So as long as it keeps the core tenets of the first game, like adventuring and light "platforming" to it, I think people would be happy.

The first game was very much about the levels, with Captain Toad being constructed as a character to fit them. I think it would be interesting if they did the opposite next time by thinking about what kind of character he is, then giving him new abilities to help construct new level designs. The new Animal Crossing which has constructing tools and using them for the right job to navigate, like vaulting over a river, is exactly the kind of thing I think would be perfect for a character like Captain Toad. His backpack can be an in-universe reason for why he lugs around so much stuff.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna gush a bit, but my most wanted sequel on Switch that has a plausible chance of happening (RIP DKC by Retro...) is Captain Toad 2. The first game was a really positive surprise for me on Wii U since it was a Nintendo experience we didnt have before, and I group it with games in a similar vein like Splatoon, Mario Maker, and Nintendo Land as some of my favorite memories of that system because they were so fresh at the time.

What would excite me is if they could be experimental with the same approach they had with the first game. There really doesn't need to be an established formula for this series since it's so small scale. So as long as it keeps the core tenets of the first game, like adventuring and light "platforming" to it, I think people would be happy.

The first game was very much about the levels, with Captain Toad being constructed as a character to fit them. I think it would be interesting if they did the opposite next time by thinking about what kind of character he is, then giving him new abilities to help construct new level designs. The new Animal Crossing which has constructing tools and using them for the right job to navigate, like vaulting over a river, is exactly the kind of thing I think would be perfect for a character like Captain Toad. His backpack can be an in-universe reason for why he lugs around so much stuff.
I would love a Captain Toad sequel. The best $40 game I've ever played. It had all the charm of 3D World in it. Great levels. I enjoyed getting the collectibles and some of the lead ups to boss fights were great. I think giving him some new tools is what they'd do in a sequel.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
It seems like we're really going to get a lot of new IP's from Nintendo this gen. Furukawa wasn't kidding around

I think it's more Shinya Takahashi's doing. Both he and Koizumi have talked a lot about bringing non-traditional Nintendo IPs to the Switch, and at the end of the day, they are the men in charge of software development. Furukawa is just endorsing that.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more Shinya Takahashi's doing. Both he and Koizumi have talked a lot about bringing non-traditional Nintendo IPs to the Switch, and at the end of the day, they are the men in charge of software development. Furukawa is just endorsing that.
It's so nice Grinch Miyamoto is out of the way. He was stifling this creativity. I'm just joking lol.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
It's so nice Grinch Miyamoto is out of the way. He was stifling this creativity. I'm just joking lol.

Miyamoto is a talented individual, and his accomplishments should always be remembered. But as I've said numerous times in this thread, he was starting to overstay his welcome as a General Manager. My problem with Miyamoto is that he can be too entrenched in his own creative biases at times, and that can be limiting to the developers. It often felt like he abides by a strict set of rules and design guidelines for what constitutes as a "Nintendo" game. Remember, this was the same man who thinks there should be a "Nintendo genre" for games. It's not that he was against new ideas, it's just that it felt like he was against things he perceived as "Un-Nintendo".

Takahashi by contrast, is a lot more relaxed. Not quite as bound by a strict "Nintendo" guideline, as to him, Nintendo's goal is just to make new and suprising products for a wide array of consumers. And that can mean anything, including games people wouldn't expect from Nintendo. To put this into perspective, do you really think a game like Astral Chain or Xenoblade Chronicles would've been green-lit if Miyamoto was General Manager of EPD?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really curious how The Stretchers came to be since apparently Tim Symons who used to work at NoE played a part in securing it:

In any case, NST becoming similar to Sony's XDev division would be neat.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
Miyamoto is a talented individual, and his accomplishments should always be remembered. But as I've said numerous times in this thread, he was starting to overstay his welcome as a General Manager. My problem with Miyamoto is that he can be too entrenched in his own creative biases at times, and that can be limiting to the developers. It often felt like he abides by a strict set of rules and design guidelines for what constitutes as a "Nintendo" game. Remember, this was the same man who thinks there should be a "Nintendo genre" for games. It's not that he was against new ideas, it's just that it felt like he was against things he perceived as "Un-Nintendo".

Takahashi by contrast, is a lot more relaxed. Not quite as bound by a strict "Nintendo" guideline, as to him, Nintendo's goal is just to make new and suprising products for a wide array of consumers. And that can mean anything, including games people wouldn't expect from Nintendo. To put this into perspective, do you really think a game like Astral Chain or Xenoblade Chronicles would've been green-lit if Miyamoto was General Manager of EPD?
I'm pretty sure Miyamoto realized that he wasn't suited for total management which is why he started stepping back way back (seemed somewhere during the Wii era) but, the thing about Miyamoto was that even if he doesn't say anything, he is still an oppressive force simply due to his legacy. Everyone wants the approval of the greatest game developer and that funnels their projects into certain directions. Probably, the reason Nintendo's new IPs are having such a significantly different feel is that the foundational games for these younger directors are no longer the games Miyamoto directed.
Takahashi on the other hand hasn't really been a director. It feels like they trained him into understanding how to be a manager and effectively use people. Wii Play: Motion seemed like the first real project that showed his talents clearly and why I assumed he would be the one to replace Iwata

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any of you think Nintendo will continue ARMS with a sequel on Switch or the next console? Or do you think ARMS was one and done

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I'm pretty sure Miyamoto realized that he wasn't suited for total management which is why he started stepping back way back (seemed somewhere during the Wii era) but, the thing about Miyamoto was that even if he doesn't say anything, he is still an oppressive force simply due to his legacy. Everyone wants the approval of the greatest game developer and that funnels their projects into certain directions. Probably, the reason Nintendo's new IPs are having such a significantly different feel is that the foundational games for these younger directors are no longer the games Miyamoto directed.

Miyamoto's advice on certain projects is still a valuable asset for Nintendo. The man still knows good games when he sees them. It's just that when it comes to managing and approving games, he seemed a bit too reluctant to leave his comfort zone in a lot of ways. And that often limited the potential of Nintendo's games. I mean, he didn't really see the point in New Donk City with the developers showed it to him, but because he no longer has the authority to veto creative decisions like he used to, he let the team do it anyway, and it ended up being one of the most surprising and marketable assets of the game.

Takahashi on the other hand hasn't really been a director. It feels like they trained him into understanding how to be a manager and effectively use people. Wii Play: Motion seemed like the first real project that showed his talents clearly and why I assumed he would be the one to replace Iwata

Takahashi mostly comes from the technical side of things. He originally worked under Miyamoto at EAD, but it was behind the scenes stuff like engine development and motion capture. His sole directoral role, Wave Race reflected his primarily technological talents. And yeah, Wii Play Motion is always the best example to use when describing the difference in management style between Miyamoto and Takahashi. Miyamoto always had more of a centralized creative view as I mentioned, while Takahashi is better at embracing the unique talents of the individual creators.

Any of you think Nintendo will continue ARMS with a sequel on Switch or the next console? Or do you think ARMS was one and done

I think Nintendo will do a sequel on the Switch. The first game sold well, but had a fairly short support life. And I imagine the team still sees a lot of potential in the concept.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Given the breadth and diversity of Miyamotos games it sounds pretty bizarre to say he was stifling creativity. And nearly 99% of Nintendo's output is still what you would consider "Nintendo style" games - LABO and Ring Fit are pretty nailed on examples of this and if anything build on the legacy he built with things like Wii Sports / Wii Fit / Nintendogs etc

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Given the breadth and diversity of Miyamotos games it sounds pretty bizarre to say he was stifling creativity. And nearly 99% of Nintendo's output is still what you would consider "Nintendo style" games - LABO and Ring Fit are pretty nailed on examples of this and if anything build on the legacy he built with things like Wii Sports / Wii Fit / Nintendogs etc

Nintendo still has "Nintendo" style games. But those aren't the only types of games that get produced by them. Let me ask this again, do you think a game like Astral Chain or Bayonetta 3 would exist the way they do now if Miyamoto was I charge of EPD?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yabuki makes bank with MK, I'm sure he can negotiate for more ARMS.
I think ARMS has a future. There's no way they'll drop it.
If Yabuki and team are still interested then it will happen eventually

I agree we haven't seen the last of ARMS. We could get ARMS 2 as their last game for Switch and have Mario Kart 9 ready for Switch 2.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ARMS getting another shot makes a lot of sense. I think best case scenario is that they put a sequel on Switch, because if it is Switch 2 then it is probably a lot further out due to Mario Kart 9 taking priority.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokken 2 should have priority over ARMS 2. really, both should be coming

but they won't

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I don't think them dropping it was a sign that it's dead, more that it wasn't quite the success they were hoping it would be so instead of investing in more DLC they more likely saved it for a full sequel.

Which is fine, I guess.

According to Yabuki, the plan was always to get all the content updates out by the end of 2017. They were actually able to squeeze one more update in-between that because the game was more well received than they anticipated. Beyond that, Nintendo kept running Party Crash events for the game for 2 years, the same length that Splatoon was supported with new Splatfests.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
I don't fully agree sorry. I'm not saying to make uncharted games, but have one game series that's a little more realistic is fine by me. I'm not asking to turn Nintendo into Sony. Star Tropics is the IP I would use to reboot into a whole new dark slightly more realistic series. This is challenging their studios since they've never done it.

Everything else I agree with. Someone said EPD could have the Mario Kart team make a first person shooter. That'd be great to see. Everything will always have Nintendo's twist on it.
Personally, I think Metroid Prime is their spin on the FPS genre. As much as Mario Kart is their spin on racing games and Smash as their spin on fighting games in any case. It also has a fairly realistic and sometimes dark atmosphere.

However, I do agree that I would like Nintendo to expand on western development. If it was up to me they would have 4 decent sized developers in America(NST, NLG, Retro and one other) and 2-3 in Europe(NERD, Mercury steam and another team). Each of these teams large enough to work on 2 or more projects at once and release a game every 2-3 years.

Playing the DKC games and LM3 shows a different style of western cartoon design, style, humor, etc. There are many genres, styles and new ideas that could originate from expanding on western development. For example, I think there is still a market for Star Fox, F-Zero, arcade style sports, and on-rail game as well as Metroid Prime, Luigi's Mansion and Donkey Kong. In addition to potential new ips.

It'd be interesting, if they gave each developer set franchises to work with such as giving Retro, Donkey Kong 3D platformers and Metroid Prime. Helping them grow enough to be able to work on both series as well as provide assistance to other developers. In addition letting them have a little more freedom in game and series direction. Have NLG work on the Luigi's Mansion series and another team that works on making fun, multiplayer titles such as Super Mario Strikers, Federation Force/hunters style Metroid, Diddy Kong Racing, etc. As well as being able to assist other western developers on projects. Have NST have one team that works on developing arcade style sports/racing games such as Excitebike, Pilot Wings, Wave Race, 1080, Punchout, etc. Another team that works on developing a new character driven, core focused ip. As for Europe, Expand NERD have them work on games designed to appeal to non-gamers, casual markets and trying new experimental software in addition to the work they currently do. Work with Mercury Steam for 2D Metroid.

This is why it's so sad...they only depend on 2 western studios and one is a first party studio...I want more western support
Instead of outright buying studios. They should work more closely with their western partners. For example, maybe pay Bethesda for an exclusive game and use Panic Button or Iron Galaxy as a middleman team to develop the exclusive. Perhaps they could also persuade Tango and Bethesda to make an Eternal Darkness for Switch.

Perhaps work with Ubisoft more closely. They already let them develop Mario x Rabbids. I'd be interested if Nintendo could have them develop new Star Fox and Kid Icarus games.

In general, I think if Nintendo could strengthen and empower their western branches a bit more. They could build a level of trust and partnership with Ubisoft and Bethesda that they do with Koei Tecmo and Namco. They could rely on them in similar ways.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If Sakamoto can get regular projects with MercurySteam going and their Western branches continue working with devs like SFB and Tarsier on smaller stuff that would already be pretty big imo.

It'll probably be a while before NST can take on bigger productions.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo should find someone to replace Monster Games. I still want Excite Boats

It's a shame Nintendo "let" them leave, especially after all the projects they worked on together. But if they wanna do NASCAR games and it's a more secure gig for them...

Sumo Digital is the first one that comes to mind based on their arcade racing experience.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame Nintendo "let" them leave, especially after all the projects they worked on together. But if they wanna do NASCAR games and it's a more secure gig for them...

Sumo Digital is the first one that comes to mind based on their arcade racing experience.
I think the Monster Games thing is exactly what they feared would happen. just without the buyout part.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the talent leaving. Monster jumping ship to do NASCAR games was probably one agreed on by many at the top brass of Monster. there's not much Nintendo could do to stop them. they could just buy them, but if they really though NASCAR was more worthwhile to pursue, then they would have left all the same and started a new company

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo should find someone to replace Monster Games. I still want Excite Boats

They could have dedicated NLG, NST, Retro to fill anyone of Nintendo's classic racing lines yeeears ago. I just don't think they are interested. Takahashi and Eguchi have both hinted they'd like to figure out how to package a game like that, even mentioning compilation racing games. But nothing yet.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
In 2017 Aonuma regarding Botw delays and Switch version.

In terms of the importance of having it at launch... my boss is Mr Koizumi who's the main producer of the Nintendo Switch (hardware) so for me personally it was very important!

Interesting..i thought that Takahashi is his boss since he runs all EPD.

And also Takahashi has a birthday today! Happy Birthday, i can't wait to see what EPD has in store for 2020 and beyond.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
In 2017 Aonuma regarding Botw delays and Switch version.

In terms of the importance of having it at launch... my boss is Mr Koizumi who's the main producer of the Nintendo Switch (hardware) so for me personally it was very important!

Interesting..i thought that Takahashi is his boss since he runs all EPD.
I'm wondering if that was maybe a translation thing.

I don't remember who got promoted when exactly but here we have the role distribution (from OP):
Nintendo EPD
General Manager: Shinya Takahashi
Deputy General Managers: Katsuya Eguchi, Eiji Aonuma, Hisashi Nogami, Yoshiaki Koizumi, Keisuke Terasaki
Executive Officer: Takashi Tezuka, Yoshiaki Koizumi
Senior Officer: Yoshio Sakamoto, Takashi Tezuka, Kensuke Tanabe

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Now that Mario Kart is out, what do you think will be the next Nintendo franchise to come to mobile?

There are plenty of franchises which translate well gameplay wise (wario ware, rhythm heaven, punch-out) and others which are popular and haven't received a mobile entry yet (Zelda, Splatoon, Kirby).

Some notes:
-There was an article about a Zelda game but that was a long time ago and the project might simply have been canned or shifted to something.
-Animal Crossing Switch is coming soon and some kind of integration with Pocket Camp is possible.
-Super Mario Run is now almost 3 years old.