• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
It's been said countless times here on Era: "Nintendo doesn't do acquisitions, but if they were to buy someone Next Level would be their best option among their partners", the Next Level shareholders decided it was time to sell (pretty smart considering the upswing in popularity for Luigi's Mansion) and Nintendo made their move to prevent their IP from losing it's designated team.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It's good news. Hopefully it's a sign that Nintendo is opening back up again in terms of acquisitions or setting up new studios, especially in the West. If nothing else they have quite a few partners that could use the financial security and resources to grow, and certainly you don't want situations like Alpha Dream, or studios being acquired out from under them. Even the situation with Arzest taking on Balan is a blow to Nintendo's output.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's good news. Hopefully it's a sign that Nintendo is opening back up again in terms of acquisitions or setting up new studios, especially in the West. If nothing else they have quite a few partners that could use the financial security and resources to grow, and certainly you don't want situations like Alpha Dream, or studios being acquired out from under them. Even the situation with Arzest taking on Balan is a blow to Nintendo's output.
Their recent acquisitions all followed a trend. There's not many others right now who fit the bill

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Everyone please be aware that this is the start and end of NIntendo's acquisition spree. Save yourselves the "oooh who could they be buying next!!" hypecrash.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Everyone please be aware that this is the start and end of NIntendo's acquisition spree. Save yourselves the "oooh who could they be buying next!!" hypecrash.
Yeah I was already thinking "this is the Monolith of this generation, now we need a massive hardware failure and then an outstanding comeback before they buy a new studio."

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I mean they do outline the circumstances and reasoning in their announcement. This wasn't a "we saw MS going bananas with their wallets and wanted to get in on the fun!". Even disregarding that they were already locked into their exclusive partnership, the owners saw their opening after moving 8m copies of Luigi 3 in 12 months and took it. Pretty unique scenario. None of their other frequent/regular collaborators can pull this. Grezzo and Good-Feel are the only two that come somewhat close and showed they can deal with high detail console quality output that moves units. But we should really recognize this as the once in a blue moon occurrence it is.

While the news was ultimately quite boring to me, at least it was a good excuse to update the OP :D

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't aware they had taken on an "outside" project. As someone who actually liked Hey! Pikmin, I would have taken a Hey! F-Zero too lol. But I feel like 90% of any comments regarding Arzest are negative.

Arzest has always worked on non-Nintendo projects, as did Artoon before them, but Balan Wonderworld is the biggest so far.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Are we really sad about the developer of New Yoshi's Island and Hey! Pikmin not doing a Switch project for Nintendo atm

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
this meaningfully reduced my anticipation for Balan, a game I already had very little interest in.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this meaningfully reduced my anticipation for Balan, a game I already had very little interest in.
I just don't think the game looks good. like it's missing a couple layers of polish or something. there's just this general feeling of incompleteness to the game every time they show it off

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Balan Wonderworld didn't look very good in its first showing but it seems like a pretty big deal for Arzest. I wish them all the best for it tbh.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
You will all be ashamed of your words and deeds when Balan comes out to good reviews.
I will certainly be ashamed when Balan comes out because I couldn't counter-pick it in my fantasy league draft.

(I hope it's good so that Arzest becomes a better developer AND my competitors lose points on their counter-pick)

morromocotudo

Nov 19, 2017
Retro has officially hired a writer. Thank goodness. Its been so long since they had one.

This is the bio of the new writer. She was hired in July:

Megan Fausti is a millennial, so she must be terrible.

She's a Game Writer whose projects include Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and Battle Chef Brigade. She's also an advocate for weirder, more compassionate games.

During her time in the industry she's worked on over 30 shipped titles across PC, VR, console, and mobile.

http://meganwritesthings.com/about/

Edit: Here's an interview:

https://destinygamingblogs.com/video-game-story-writer-interview-with-megan-fausti/

Last edited:

morromocotudo

Nov 19, 2017
Is she a contracted worker or permanent?

The job opening said it was a contract position:

CONTRACT - Writer (Retro Studios)

** This is a CONTRACT position

DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES

• Work with the narrative team to quickly create dialog, cinematic scripts, and foundational story documents

• Help write in-game backstory, world building, general lore, and character breakdowns

• Help to maintain narrative foundations established by the narrative team

• Perform editing and tracking of in-game dialog, narrative bibles, and cinematics

• Work with the design team to craft memorable gameplay-centric story moments

• Work with various teams to ensure that the game narrative is implemented as intended

• Assist cinematic and design teams with identifying suitable moments for cutscenes

• Manage and track narrative documents

• Help to educate all teams on the game narrative and storytelling practices

*This job description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended to identify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the position may be required to perform other duties. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.

SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS

• Must have writing portfolio that shows an understanding of game-narrative development, cinematic screenplay writing, dialog writing, and world building

• Demonstrated ability to use independent judgment and creativity in developing story documents under the guidance of design and cinematic leadership

Skills:

• Self-starter with proactive attitude to improve own qualifications

• Passion for sharing insights and ability to coach less experienced people

• Excellent communication, organizational, personal, and problem-solving skills

Knowledge:

• Strong understanding of game narrative and design.

• Able to share clear understanding of character development.

• Able to problem solve issues that can occur during the various stages of story development

Experience:

• Experience with already established IP is a plus

• Prior cinematics experience is a plus

• Proficient in Final Draft, Excel, and Word

Education:

• Undergraduate degree in art related subject; or completion of an intensive art training program; or equivalent independent study and experience.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy

Haven't played JFO yet but people seemed pretty content with the story, I assume Disney was strongly involved (in fact, I think the Director stated so in their GameInformer 100something questions) but it's still great that they found someone who worked on another 3D Metroidvania.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A bit random but in Platinum's Astral Chain page, the copyright no longer includes them.

cZw4ovi.png

It used to just a couple of months back.

DzGCC0o.png

Maybe it means Nintendo bought their share of the IP?

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just seems like a weird and unnecessary thing to do, no? Nintendo is not gonna work on a new Astral Chain without PlatinumGames anyway so what's the point?
That's what makes this so weird to me. Without Platinum's touch the IP has no future and without co-ownership they've very unlikely to bother continuing working on it.

They have no stake in Bayonetta but that's Kamiya's baby and so far it's the exception.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it is indeed weird.
nintendo isn't going to make a new one without PG
PG can't make a new one without nintendo

so it seems like a rather pointless change.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean realistically speaking this probably won't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things. My optimistic speculation is that they did this to sidestep future rights situations like if they wanted to rerelease the game. My most pessimistic speculation is that the IP is shelved so they cut any loose ends.

Of course, it's always possible that Furukawa opened the wallet for PG.
mjlol.png

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yoshi's Woolly World

Wii U:

yLpSZ7D.png

3DS:

gsxgNbt.png

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Wii:

oO3um83.png

3DS:

n3rlGr1.png

Diddy Kong Racing

N64:

Le5TxQg.png

DS:

HrN6TsY.png

Go Vacation

Wii:

vx9JGJq.png

Switch:

wnamOGC.png

Oh, thanks! Some interesting stuff here:
1. I wonder why and what kinds of copyrights Good-Feel held for Yoshi's Wooly World and Kirby's Epic in the first place.
2. Definitely new to me that Nintendo is a co-owner of the Go Vacation copyright.