• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
The true ending of Samus Returns definitely shows Sakamoto wants to make Metroid 5 but I wonder if Metroid 5 would end up being a retail or eShop release...

They ended up doing a retail release of Snipperclips. I think they're eager to have retail titles.

Also, I am surprised so many are predicting the same amount of Switch games this year when 3DS software development is now finished. It would make zero sense for there to be the exact same amount.

We still don't know exactly how they're going to adjust to having (mostly) unified development. The leap from 3DS -> Switch is pretty massive, I hope they're able to handle the shift gracefully.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
They ended up doing a retail release of Snipperclips. I think they're eager to have retail titles.

We still don't know exactly how they're going to adjust to having (mostly) unified development. The leap from 3DS -> Switch is pretty massive, I hope they're able to handle the shift gracefully.

But there has to be an increase, no? Teams were working on 3DS games last year. One would think those teams wouldn't remain dormant and move to Switch development.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
They will switch to Switch development.

But like... Mercury Steam will take years to make a sequel to Samus Returns. That's just video game development.

Also I think it remains to be seen whether they'll use the extra staff freed up from the 3DS mostly to increase output or for extra polish on similar output. I'd prefer and am leaning towards the former, but we just can't know for sure yet.

Oct 26, 2017
Right, but other teams conceivably stopped making 3DS games before last year and have moved on since. One would think Nintendo gradually transferred teams over time.

I mean, they have? Nintendo didn't release many games for the 3DS post 2013 that weren't from one of:

The Pokemon Company
HAL
Intelligent Systems

And all three are going to release games for Switch in the next 18 months or so. Grezzo is one of Nintendo's other main developers for 3DS and they probably just started working on a new Zelda thing while Mercury Steam might do Metroid 5 and maybe those will come out in a few years. Next Level Games is making some AAA game that will come out in 2019 or so.

We're kind of already accounting for a lot of Nintendo's 3DS teams. They had almost no EPD development on 3DS after 2013 because they focused on the WiiU and Switch.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm praying we get Luigi's Mansion 3 next year, but I have no faith in that. I think NLG's game won't be out until 2019 and same with a new Paper Mario.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, I forgot about NLG. I wouldn't expect anything from them until 2019 either but I wouldn't mind having it sooner. Luigi's Mansion 3 is what I'd expect but I'd love a new Punch-Out...

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The fact that Nintendo will have 12 months to work with next year alone probably means that there will be at least as many, likely more, Switch games than this year. Remember that the Switch launching in March meant they only had 10 months to work with in 2017.
the problem is less the quantity of releases (nintendo is second to absolutely none regarding release quantity as a first party publisher every single year without exception), it's the caliber of releases people usually expect.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
the problem is less the quantity of releases (nintendo is second to absolutely none regarding release quantity as a first party publisher every single year without exception), it's the caliber of releases people usually expect.

Like quality-wise? Matching two 95+ metacritic games in one year will be hard for anyone to beat but I think I'd be fine with a pretty consistent flow of 8/9 quality games mixed with some smaller releases. If Animal Crossing is good enough and a big leap for the series, Retro's game knocks everyone's socks off, Fire Emblem is great, Smash is awesome and we get some sweet smaller-scale experimental games to go with them then I'm totally happy with that.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not predicting it on a monthly basis, but I think this is what the 2019 lineup looks like for Nintendo, first party only:

• Yoshi
  • Kirby
  • Fire Emblem
  • Animal Crossing
  • Pikmin
  • Retro's New IP*
  • Pokemon
  • Smash*
Smash and Retro's new IP are asterisked because I don't expect them both to hit next year—one or the other. One will be held back for the other. My assumption is that Nintendo wants at least two prestige projects for the Switch every year now, given how well that paid off in 2017–so they might highlight Retro's project, and Pokemon, and push Smash into 2019 (where it will be the headlining game alongside Metroid Prime 4).

Additionally, I expect Smash, Metroid Prime 4, and the new Monolith IP to all release in 2019, but get some form of reveals next year as well.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Well being realistic, I don't think the next year will be nowhere near this one on great Switch first party releases.
Zelda and Mario were developed by the top Nintendo teams, and we will have to wait to know more about their new works.
I'm really hope i'm wrong and a January Direct raisesmy expectations for Switch's 2018 .

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
Depends what they are working on I suppose. There was a linked in leak ages ago regarding a WiiU title.

Was it this?
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._on_a_wii_u_title_then_stealth_edits_the_post

He did say "it makes me want a Wii U" but then again there's nothing explicitly stating it was a Wii U game. He does mention working on cutscenes and animation though. I almost wonder if he was just referring to Federation Force.

FAKE EDIT:

Looked him up on Mobygames...

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,833479/

He was credited on Federation Force under "animation" so I think that's all he was referring to.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Was it this?
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._on_a_wii_u_title_then_stealth_edits_the_post

He did say "it makes me want a Wii U" but then again there's nothing explicitly stating it was a Wii U game. He does mention working on cutscenes and animation though. I almost wonder if he was just referring to Federation Force.

FAKE EDIT:

Looked him up on Mobygames...

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,833479/

He was credited on Federation Force under "animation" so I think that's all he was referring to.

Oh you're right, I guess was mis-remembering. As I was looking at this, apparently Liam Robertson was saying they were also working on a WiiU game after Federation Force was announced. So maybe that's where I was getting that from.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing Nintendo finally found staff at Namco to do the programming and art assets for Pikmin 4 at this point, but we have no idea when Pikmin 4 actually went into full production.

Miyamoto could have just meant that pre-production was almost complete.

I mean, they have? Nintendo didn't release many games for the 3DS post 2013 that weren't from one of:

The Pokemon Company
HAL
Intelligent Systems

And all three are going to release games for Switch in the next 18 months or so. Grezzo is one of Nintendo's other main developers for 3DS and they probably just started working on a new Zelda thing while Mercury Steam might do Metroid 5 and maybe those will come out in a few years. Next Level Games is making some AAA game that will come out in 2019 or so.

We're kind of already accounting for a lot of Nintendo's 3DS teams. They had almost no EPD development on 3DS after 2013 because they focused on the WiiU and Switch.

- Steel Diver Subwars (2014)
- Ultimate NES Remix (2014)
- Nintendo Badge Arcade (2014-2015)
- Rhythm Tengoku Megamix (2015)
- The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (2015)
- Animal Crossing - Happy Home Designer (2015)
- Animal Crossing - Welcome Amiibo (2016)
- Miitopia (2016)
- Tanker Troopers (2016)

That's an average of about 3 games a year with internal R&D roots for the 3DS. Some smaller teams (with assistants) and some full size teams (miitopia, happy home designer,etc)

Well being realistic, I don't think the next year will be nowhere near this one on great Switch first party releases. Zelda and Mario were developed by the top Nintendo teams, and we will have to wait to know more about their new works.I'm really hope i'm wrong and a January Direct raises my expectations for Switch's 2018 .

While Mario Kart, Arms, Splatoon, 3D Mario, and 3D Zelda all dropped in 2017, you still have some of the other internal leads available for a potential 2018 release: 2D Mario team. Animal Crossing team. PIkmin team. Rhythm Tengoku team. It doesn't mean those sequels will come out, but those leads could potentially create something for next year.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My predictions.

January: Ehh
Feb: Bayonetta 1+2
March/April: Maybe online stuff?
May: Kirby
June: Smash 5
July: Who knows
August: Yoshi
September: Retro Studios
October: 2D Mario
November: Probably some third party games here
December: Fire Emblem

2019:

First half: Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon Switch, Animal Crossing Switch
Second half: New Zelda (not sure if remake or BotW 2 or a 2D Zelda), Mario+Rabbids 2, Bayonetta 3, Pikmin 4, Next Level Games title, Sakurai's next game, Metroid 5 (with some of these being pushed to early 2020).

March/April: Dragon Quest Builders
July: Probably Octopath Traveler

Don't forget that Nintendo is publishing these two titles so they're counting it for their releases too.

Oct 26, 2017
I still wonder if Retro hiring their lead writer and lead multiplayer programmer in August 2016 (both hired at nearly the same time) means that they started full production at that time or not.

We'll see in like a month I guess maybe.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
Are DQ Builders and Octopath Traveller not instances of Square Enix publishing in Japan and Nintendo handling worldwide duties?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Like quality-wise? Matching two 95+ metacritic games in one year will be hard for anyone to beat but I think I'd be fine with a pretty consistent flow of 8/9 quality games mixed with some smaller releases. If Animal Crossing is good enough and a big leap for the series, Retro's game knocks everyone's socks off, Fire Emblem is great, Smash is awesome and we get some sweet smaller-scale experimental games to go with them then I'm totally happy with that.
No I mean Metroid, Luigi's Mansion, etc vs Chibi Robo Zip Lash, Style Savvy etc

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Man, I really hope we get a peek of Retro Studios' game next month. I don't want to wait until E3 again...:(

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
I would take anything from LiamR's sources with a grain of salt but yes, it's pretty clear NLG weren't on a Wii U game and had their hands full with Federation Force.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Sakamoto's team and MS worked well together. The hint for the next project is definitely there - not sure why you think Sakamoto would bail now.

Just curious did Samus Returns meet or exceed expectations? I know 3DS software dropped off sharply and that's something I'm sure Nintendo would take into consideration but it would be nice if we had confirmation that Samus Returns met expectations regardless.

Oct 27, 2017
Sakamoto's team and MS worked well together. The hint for the next project is definitely there - not sure why you think Sakamoto would bail now.
Unless "Metroid 5" was already in development before SR.

Someone on the old forum, who knew about SR before the official annoncement, hinted that the game had a very trouble development and was almost cancelled. The same user suggested another Metroid was in development, and -by the way he worded it- it looked like it wasn't made by MS.

Of course after SR great reception things could change. We might have a 3D Metroid by this mysterious team and a 2.5D one by MS (another remake, maybe?).

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017

Someone on the old forum, who knew about SR before the official annoncement, hinted that the game had a very trouble development and was almost cancelled. The same user suggested another Metroid was in development, and -by the way he worded it- it looked like it wasn't made by MS.

Of course after SR great reception things could change. We might have a 3D Metroid by this mysterious team and a 2.5D one by MS (another remake, maybe?).

Link?

Just curious did Samus Returns meet or exceed expectations? I know 3DS software dropped off sharply and that's something I'm sure Nintendo would take into consideration but it would be nice if we had confirmation that Samus Returns met expectations regardless.

It and FE Echoes were specifically cited as 3DS games with "firm" sales in Nintendo's latest financial report. They've never commented on any of the other big 3DS games since the Switch launch but most accounts toward those is they've been underperforming like crazy. So those two seem to have been the exception to the rule.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It won't be a remake. They always start in a new console with a new gen.
They'd also never released a mid-gen game with new Pokemon before. Patterns can be broken.

I think it would make a lot of sense to have a remake as the first Switch game tbh. Every studio seems to really struggle when they try HD development for the first time, and GameFreak have never been the most technically proficient devs on top of that. A brand new generation under those circumstances would be so much work. They already have to make a new engine for the Switch, and then they'd be designing a new region, characters and story as well? All while learning how to develop in HD? Even 2019 would seem unrealistically early for that, no? I mean Sun & Moon were likely in development for at least three years on hardware they were comfortable with, and based on comments from Game Freak devs they were not working on Pokemon Switch alongside Sun & Moon.

Starting on a remake would mean they at least have a solid foundation to build off of. It would trim down a lot of the work, and ultimately mean we'd get a much better new generation the following year once they'd worked out a lot of the kinks.

Put it this way: if a new generation comes out in 2018 (or even early-mid 2019), I'd have extremely low expectations for it.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Link?

It and FE Echoes were specifically cited as 3DS games with "firm" sales in Nintendo's latest financial report. They've never commented on any of the other big 3DS games since the Switch launch but most accounts toward those is they've been underperforming like crazy. So those two seem to have been the exception to the rule.

Cool! Game was great and deserved to sell well. My only concern was the sudden drop off in 3DS software sales. Good to know even with that it done well.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My expectation is that Pokemon Switch is a Kanto game. Not necessarily a remake, just a new game set in Kanto.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess this thread is as good as any:

What do we know about Kirby and Yoshi 2018? Are they supposed to be BOTW and Odyssey for their respective franchises? Or just games that kind of fill in release schedule gaps?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'd also never released a mid-gen game with new Pokemon before. Patterns can be broken.

I think it would make a lot of sense to have a remake as the first Switch game tbh. Every studio seems to really struggle when they try HD development for the first time, and GameFreak have never been the most technically proficient devs on top of that. A brand new generation under those circumstances would be so much work. They already have to make a new engine for the Switch, and then they'd be designing a new region, characters and story as well? All while learning how to develop in HD? Even 2019 would seem unrealistically early for that, no? I mean Sun & Moon were likely in development for at least three years on hardware they were comfortable with, and based on comments from Game Freak devs they were not working on Pokemon Switch alongside Sun & Moon.

Starting on a remake would mean they at least have a solid foundation to build off of. It would trim down a lot of the work, and ultimately mean we'd get a much better new generation the following year once they'd worked out a lot of the kinks.

Put it this way: if a new generation comes out in 2018 (or even early-mid 2019), I'd have extremely low expectations for it.
I dont see how a remake sidesteps all those issues when the games they're remaking is from the Gameboy. sounds like you're asking them to cheap out on the remakes and then blow their load on new games? why not just spend all that time making sure the new games are right, then the remakes will follow more smoothly

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
I guess this thread is as good as any:

What do we know about Kirby and Yoshi 2018? Are they supposed to be BOTW and Odyssey for their respective franchises? Or just games that kind of fill in release schedule gaps?

They were shown at E3. Yoshi got a pretty lengthy Treehouse demo showing off two co-op levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KHxN6NoKqM

Kirby Star Allies is basically an HD game in the same vein as Return to Dream Land/Triple Deluxe/Planet Robobot with co-op features similar to the Helpers from Super Star.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are DQ Builders and Octopath Traveller not instances of Square Enix publishing in Japan and Nintendo handling worldwide duties?

They are. But for Nintendo in the west, these are titles just like what they publish in Japan so they're going to put one in a month and other in another month just like they did for Dragon Quest, for example.

Oct 25, 2017

Since Sakamoto is also now the Wario guy now why not have MS make Wario Land 5

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I dont see how a remake sidesteps all those issues when the games they're remaking is from the Gameboy. sounds like you're asking them to cheap out on the remakes and then blow their load on new games? why not just spend all that time making sure the new games are right, then the remakes will follow more smoothly
I think there's a big difference between recreating a region in 3D and redesigning existing characters than completely starting from scratch. That would help. Plus the scope of everything just wouldn't need to be a huge as you'd expect for a brand new generation.

With that said - I am totally okay with them starting on a new generation first. I just have concerns that they wouldn't take the time to make sure the games are right. They clearly had some pressure on them to get the Switch game finished for 2018, and as I said - Sun & Moon had 3 years of dev time on hardware they were very familiar with. Even a mid 2019 release of Gen VIII would be like 2 and a half years at most, and all of those factors would definitely hurt the final product imo.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was looking at the OP and why Pokemon Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Moon aren't in the OP for the releases of 2016 and 2017? It seems strange when Pokken is there and Pokemon Switch is also there.

Also, it need to update the information there. It's pretty much outdated right now in some aspects.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
No, but unless this month's CoroCoro hides something then it's pretty likely.
I feel the Pokemon Company's movie system has been rebooted so I don't think traditions of the old movies are staying as concrete. There was almost no Pokemon in this teaser trailer compared to every other teaser and the movie advertised it was being done with Wit Studio whereas none of the previously movies made huge deals about working with Production IG. It's also now a completely separate timeline from the TV show (continuing from I Choose You!, instead of being side stories Ash and crew do while traveling the region) as well as a distinct art style. Also, the show is actually featuring most of the legendaries of this gen. Since the previous legendary fest movies have not worked out for them in the past few years, I think they are going to dial it down and try to make the movies sort of stand on their own with legendary advertising as a later thing.
Also looking through the teasers, they don't really reveal new pokemon. Aside from M14 (Victini), M16 (Genesect), M19 (Volcanion) and possibly M18 (Hoopa's rings), they only showed previously known legendaries.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
I feel the Pokemon Company's movie system has been rebooted so I don't think traditions of the old movies are staying as concrete. There was almost no Pokemon in this teaser trailer compared to every other teaser and the movie advertised it was being done with Wit Studio whereas none of the previously movies made huge deals about working with Production IG. It's also now a completely separate timeline from the TV show (continuing from I Choose You!, instead of being side stories Ash and crew do while traveling the region) as well as a distinct art style. Also, the show is actually featuring most of the legendaries of this gen. Since the previous legendary fest movies have not worked out for them in the past few years, I think they are going to dial it down and try to make the movies sort of stand on their own with legendary advertising as a later thing.
Also looking through the teasers, they don't really reveal new pokemon. Aside from M14 (Victini), M16 (Genesect), M19 (Volcanion) and possibly M18 (Hoopa's rings), they only showed previously known legendaries.

Yes, the teasers don't usually reveal Pokemon. Volcanion was the exception (well it was revealed a day or two before), and then Magearna was revealed in the Feb/March slot that you would have expected Volcanion to be revealed at. Marshadow was also revealed at this time when the full trailer for I Choose You released.

Saying that, the teaser was probably the most cryptic one I've seen since the Zoroark. I don't really know what to make of it. That footage might not even make it into the final movie based on what has happened in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.