• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some interesting discussion on the last few pages

I actually meant to make a post about 1-2 days ago about how I find it fascinating how Nintendo's relationships to third parties have changed over the last few years. Bandai Namco and Koei Tecmo working on at least three games each with Nintendo is pretty significant. So is Ubisoft making Mario & Rabbids, potentially a sequel and the Star Fox content in Starlink, perhaps even more so. With the Switch being comparatively underpowered and often not fitting into publishers' plans, it was always going to be difficult if not impossible to get all the third party games. I think this approach to partnerships makes a lot of sense for Nintendo, basically giving publishers more incentive to make exclusive games for their platforms while strengthening relations.

I wonder how interested other third parties are. The thought of Bethesda "sparing" one of their studios to work on a Nintendo-licensed game is certainly interesting and they don't seem to be opposed to it, at least theoretically. With Beth trying to get their own PC launcher off the ground and consequently needing exclusive content, I don't know how likely it is though. Especially if you consider that they already had to contract an external developer to work on a sequel for Rage. Arkane, Tango and Machine Games are three of my favourite studios right now and I would be thrilled to see one of them tackle a Nintendo franchise, I just don't think it's very likely. Neither are Activision, Electronic Arts or Take 2, for that matter.

An interesting partner for them might be THQ Nordic. They work with or even own a lot of smaller teams that have cool ideas but often lack the budget for the polish that their games would require to be really special:

Black Forest Games - Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, Fade to Silence
Bugbear Entertainment - Wreckfest
Dambuster Studios (Former Free Radical Design staff) - Homefront: The Revolution
Fishlabs - Galaxy on Fire
Volition - Saints Row, Red Faction
Experiment 101 - Biomutant

A lot of these midrange games could really thrive on Switch where they don't face the same level of competition from AAA games.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Here's the thing about Zero/Project Zero/Fatal Frame. It's an established, well-regarded IP that serves to fill an area in Nintendo's portfolio that they themselves do not cater to, otherwise. Their previous collaborations launched on systems on which niche titles in the very traditional game vein did not find a lot of traction and they still performed comparatively to their predecessors (in Japan). Their decision making isn't solely tied to spreadsheets but often is fueled by whatever creative idea is driving someone's passion (who then finds away to have the money people sign off on weird projects anyway). The previous three games either leaned heavily on the Wii Remote or hung their hat on immersion by using the Wii U GamePad as the in-game camera.

Now we have the Switch, which can replicate the Wii Remote functionality while also adding new options to get creative (HD Rumble shenanigans), and more importantly, has a way way way different audience make-up with way way different tastes profiles than the previous consoles, and there is most definitely potential to give the franchise yet another shot at finally reaching more people and establishing itself among Nintendo's first party catalogue.

Don't just brush it off as "previous games bombed, IP is dead or up to KT if they still wanna try."

At the very least, I doubt one is coming next year as, if it exists, it likely wasn't greenlit until after the Switch was successful.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
So N64 classic is fucking dead after what Nintendo said today right?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is so cool. I never knew this stuff before. The detail all around. My god I want Sakurai fully remake Earthbound in 3D. Think about it.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's obvious as with all his usual non-answers to pretty much all questions (remember when you could actually learn stuff from interviews?) but there is always the option to throw in a "never say never" type of comment.

My point is that we shouldn't take this as either confirmation or deconfirmation. Reggie has perfected the art of repackaging Nintendo's official stances, objectives and strategies into bite-sized PR statements. They officially aren't selling the NES & SNES mini after the holidays and they are offering classic games through NSO so that's what he's going to point out officially. Getting new information out of him outside of a controlled environment like a Direct is like finding a four-leaf unicorn with a pot of gold strapped to its back.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I feel like if one was indeed coming he wouldn't have said "That's the extent of our classics program."
He didn't need to add that one sentence at all.

Also, I feel like if they were continuing the program it'd make more sense to continue NES/SNES production.

This is so cool. I never knew this stuff before. The detail all around. My god I want Sakurai fully remake Earthbound in 3D. Think about it.

Wow, that's cool.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Another great column by Sakurai. He explains the new characters and talks about it's too much workload to make a single player with terrain and side scrolling sections. He talks about the new characters and how he prioritizes Smash if Nintendo asks him, but doesn't know if he can do it forever.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2018/...re-details-about-smash-ultimates-development/

He's talked about having a supervisor role after Smash 4 as well. It is time. Give this man a proper studio, Furukawa.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I think if Sakurai wanted his own studio he could have one. Maybe that'll change, sooner or later, but for now he seems happy at Sora.

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Nintendo can just keep leasing out this Bamco studio to work with Sakurai. One or two original projects, and when its time for Smash again it's a team that is experienced with both Smash and Sakurai.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is basically a team at Bandai Namco Studios of Japan which I'm still impressed that they work with Nintendo in many projects and into their own in-house titles. Of course, Smash had many other companies helping in development (including Bandai Namco Singapore) as well as we can see in the credits but still.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018

I thought you were referring to Brickroad's face hidden inside the Dungeon Man model, but the video didn't reference it. Fair enough, since I'd never know to look either if somebody hadn't pointed it out.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is basically a team at Bandai Namco Studios of Japan which I'm still impressed that they work with Nintendo in many projects and into their own in-house titles. Of course, Smash had many other companies helping in development (including Bandai Namco Singapore) as well as we can see in the credits but still.

The entire situation is especially funny considering all that talk about Nintendo buying Bandai back in 2003.
tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Hopefully Nintendo can just keep leasing out this Bamco studio to work with Sakurai. One or two original projects, and when its time for Smash again it's a team that is experienced with both Smash and Sakurai.
Namco Bandai has done an amazing job with Smash. Ultimate is just insane. And Prime 4 is supposed to be made by Bamco as well. I say they might as well keep hiring Namco this way, because the results are superb.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doesn't need to fund a Tales game, they're probably gonna be getting the next one anyway. They should fund a game from an IP or studio that they likely wouldn't get, like a Fromsoft game.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo should be looking at third party and their old IP's and fund them. Like any old Capcom IP or something.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't a Tales game confirmed for Switch very early on (not Vesperia), what happened with that?

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
The thing about Nintendo funding a Tales game is that it would finally give the series an actual budget again since we all know BN is not willing to invest any serious money on it.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Any money that could be invested in Tales Of is wasted.

Much better destine it to Alpha Dream or Camelot if they want a JRPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.