• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any money that could be invested in Tales Of is wasted.

Much better destine it to Alpha Dream or Camelot if they want a JRPG.
While Camelot and Alpha Dream are staffing up, Camelot's rpg staff has bled out and Alpha Dream never made an HD game before. There are better options to throw money at

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
There is no need for new jrpgs anyway, at least not next year with Vesperia, DQ XI and all those FF games. Not to mention that Persona 5 and SMT V might also release next year.
I would not be surprised if a new Monolith RPG get's revealed next year for a 2020 release.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am generally against a platform holder funding a new entry in an existing third-party franchise due to various reasons but mainly because

1. It keeps it away from fans of the franchise that might be playing on a rival platform, sometimes for ever.
2. There are no long-term benefits because the series often returns to other platforms anyway.

I am fine with it if it's to revive a franchise like Bayonetta or if it ends up in a long-term partnership like Fatal Frame. Tales doesn't fall into either of these categories.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no need for new jrpgs anyway, at least not next year with Vesperia, DQ XI and all those FF games. Not to mention that Persona 5 and SMT V might also release next year.
I would not be surprised if a new Monolith RPG get's revealed next year for a 2020 release.
There's never enough JRPG's. Just because those are coming doesn't mean Golden Sun can't come.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am generally against a platform holder funding a new entry in an existing third-party franchise due to various reasons but mainly because

1. It keeps it away from fans of the franchise that might be playing on a rival platform, sometimes for ever.
2. There are no long-term benefits because the series often returns to other platforms anyway.

I am fine with it if it's to revive a franchise like Bayonetta or if it ends up in a long-term partnership like Fatal Frame. Tales doesn't fall into either of these categories.

Yeah that's why I used the Capcom example in the last page. If a company ain't going to make a new game or cares about an old IP, then I'm all for another company making pitches and funds to bring those games back. Like Nintendo giving money to Capcom for a new Viewtiful Joe, for example.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

agreed. i'm not a fan of money hats or publishing deals if it means long time fans who have supported the series would be unhappy with the decision. i know they can always get the new platform, but sometimes that's not realistic, and i know i wouldn't be super happy if a series i like jumps exclusively to a platform i don't have.
a case like bayonetta where the game wouldn't have existed without nintendo is understandable, and the series had just 1 entry and nintendo has done a lot for it's visibility now with ports and new entries, but something like tales, nah.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Yeah I really hope they work with From on an exclusive. Maybe they're waiting to see how Dark Souls did.

You mean, the game that was inexplicably delayed for several months while releasing with double the framerate on other consoles, only to be released in a much busier period than originally planed, and ended up with severe audio issues which the developers do not intend to address? I don't know who bought it, but I know that I certainly did not.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You mean, the game that was inexplicably delayed for several months while releasing with double the framerate on other consoles, only to be released in a much busier period than originally planed, and ended up with severe audio issues which the developers do not intend to address? I don't know who bought it, but I know that I certainly did not.

I bought it, and many other people did too. I'm sure after the delay they adjusted their sales expectations downward a fair bit anyway.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Feels like I keep saying this, but next year is going to be the year we start to get a sense for what Nintendo had greenlit post-Switch reveal/launch and where they want to take the Switch strategy.

I hope that doesn't just mean lots of single Joy-Con co-op games, though.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is going to take care of well next year. I hope we get Joycon XL's. Something I've been asking for over a year.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Any money that could be invested in Tales Of is wasted.

Much better destine it to Alpha Dream or Camelot if they want a JRPG.

Yea there is no point in paying extra for a game that will already come to the console.

You get exclusives on projects that are dead that you still see sales potential for (Ultimate Alliance, Bayonetta) or on unique ideas that are either not getting funded or are part of genre that are missing in your library (Daemon x Machina, Octopath)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty surprised we haven't gotten a PR about Smash yet. When was the last time a huge first party game like that didn't get sales PR?

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
So umm anyone have any hopes or dreams of Nintendo ever forming or acquiring a new studio? That'd be nice. Maybe a studio that focuses on aspects that Nintendo doesn't focus on, like certain genres, styles, audiences, etc. That'd be cool. But it will never happen within the next 10 years

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'm pretty surprised we haven't gotten a PR about Smash yet. When was the last time a huge first party game like that didn't get sales PR?

The game is probably selling so much that they are waiting for it to pass a crazy milestone before saying anything. Something like "Thank you for you support Smash fans. The Game officially reached 8 billions sales this week and from next Monday, not playing the game 2 hours a day will be punishable by death from rear naked choke. Don't ask me for anything ever again."
I still think they won't reach their hardware sales target, but Smash is the biggest it's ever been, by any metric.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So umm anyone have any hopes or dreams of Nintendo ever forming or acquiring a new studio? That'd be nice. Maybe a studio that focuses on aspects that Nintendo doesn't focus on, like certain genres, styles, audiences, etc. That'd be cool. But it will never happen within the next 10 years

It seems like it's never going to happen. It's super rare as it is for Nintendo to acquire other studios. Everyone else is building except for Nintendo.

Thank goodness though, Monolith Soft is growing and has multiple development teams now. They've always felt different to Nintendo to me in a good way.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
It seems like it's never going to happen. It's super rare as it is for Nintendo to acquire other studios. Everyone else is building except for Nintendo.

Thank goodness though, Monolith Soft is growing and has multiple development teams now. They've always felt different to Nintendo to me in a good way.
Doesn't have to be an acquisition, just form a new studio. Start small and grow from there as they prove themselves with good result. Starting small removes large risk of financial disaster or overloading an unproven, inexperienced team which could make a mediocre game

And I agree. Monolith Soft is like Nintendo's saving grace for ambition. They actually feel like they want to do something BIG every single time. Even if the budget and dev time don't allow it sometimes, you feel like they are always trying to be ambitious. Which is why I'm excited that they've been expanding to almost double the size the past 2-3 years. Now they have two large games on the horizon, including a possible new IP. I don't get that feeling from Nintendo very often that they are pushing to make the biggest or best game in the genre. Only different

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't have to be an acquisition, just form a new studio. Start small and grow from there as they prove themselves with good result. Starting small removes large risk of financial disaster or overloading an unproven, inexperienced team which could make a mediocre game

To Nintendo it probably makes more sense to form a new EPD team than it does to form a new external studio.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I know. Sony is building a new studio. Nintendo is doing nothing. They're not buying or building studios. Only Monolith Soft is doing something.

I will always have a problem with Nintendo not building studios in the west. Idc what anyone thinks or disagrees with me. It's pathetic all they have is Retro (sorry NST) and no I don't want to hear about partners they have. Sony is still growing regardless of who they are partners with.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Nintendo seems to be having a very healthy relationship with indies, and despite being extremely pessimistic all the time, this is something that matters a lot to me as I mostly played indie games this year (partly because this is where quality games were on Switch). They do not seem willing to substantially grow; but if they want to pour money at some talented indie studios to get exclusive games, it'll be worth a thousand RDR2 for a player like me.

Sep 7, 2018
I was thinking...maybe they're going to announce ports of NMH1 and NMH2?
I think that's a good possibility. The only other big ones would seem to be an actual NMH3, which Suda has said is contingent on how TSA sells, so unlikely, or Travis in Smash, which again, with what Reggie said at TGA, seems unlikely. Think they'd wait for a Smash announcement until we get further into the year... if someone from Nintendo shows up... all bets are off. :D Who knows, if Nintendo decided to throw the money at it, I suppose they could announce NMH3 like that, but that would also seem to kneecap the sales of TSA as well. Will be interesting to see... Suda also has a way of hyping up things... and his "big" things turning out to be something that most other people don't think is so big... :)

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Honestly even without Metroid being shown, the Game Awards was still a huge success for Nintendo and for the Switch. Just look how much stronger 2019 looks just from the Game Awards:

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (2019)
Mortal Kombat 11 (April)
Crash Team Racing (June)
Dauntless (2019)
And a few indie games as well

+ Adding in the other confirmed 2019 games
Luigi's Mansion 3
Tales of Vesperia (January)
Animal Crossing
Inazuma Eleven Ares
Daemon X Machina
Travis Strikes Again (January)
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Fire Emblem: Three Houses in (H1)
NSMBU:DX (January)
Pokemon 2019
Trials Rising (February)
Yoshi's Crafted World (H1)
Yokai Watch 4
Digimon Survive

Even smaller stuff like Ninjala, TOWN and even more indies. Plus who knows what might be shown at the Kinda Funny Games showcase? Obviously don't expect much but who knows, some good indies might show off some good stuff as well.

Compare that lineup to this same time last year. What did we know confirmed 2018 going into the new year?

Fire Emblem
Bayonetta 1+2
Kirby
Octopath Traveler
Yoshi
Pokemon 2018
Wolfenstein 2
Dragon Quest Builders

Almost half were old ports and only like 2 were confirmed H1 2018 games.

Night and day difference. And that's not even counting the possibility of any non dated games being added into the mix like Metroid Prime Trilogy & 4, SMT5, Bayonetta 3. All those games plus Monolith Soft's 2 RPG games, Retro Studios, other surprise first party and third party exclusives, multiplats, the future of the Switch looks quite bright
Dauntless is coming to Switch???

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that's a good possibility. The only other big ones would seem to be an actual NMH3, which Suda has said is contingent on how TSA sells, so unlikely, or Travis in Smash, which again, with what Reggie said at TGA, seems unlikely. Think they'd wait for a Smash announcement until we get further into the year... if someone from Nintendo shows up... all bets are off. :D Who knows, if Nintendo decided to throw the money at it, I suppose they could announce NMH3 like that, but that would also seem to kneecap the sales of TSA as well. Will be interesting to see... Suda also has a way of hyping up things... and his "big" things turning out to be something that most other people don't think is so big... :)

If I had to guess I would say ports of NMH1 and 2. Travis in Smash is something Nintendo would want to do and I have a feeling Travis won't be part of this DLC.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To Nintendo it probably makes more sense to form a new EPD team than it does to form a new external studio.

Until they run out of space again and have to build another HQ :p

Expanding EPD is inevitable anyway but it's not the be-all and end-all. Restricting themselves to Japanese talent despite being an international company is going to bite them in the ass in the mid to long term. It's safe to say that Nintendo was burned one too many times by their external development studios, which seem to be inherently incompatible with their corporate philosophy, but maybe that was the wrong approach in the first place.

I know. Sony is building a new studio. Nintendo is doing nothing. They're not buying or building studios. Only Monolith Soft is doing something.

I will always have a problem with Nintendo not building studios in the west. Idc what anyone thinks or disagrees with me. It's pathetic all they have is Retro (sorry NST) and no I don't want to hear about partners they have. Sony is still growing regardless of who they are partners with.

They don't even really have that many Western partners tbh. Monster Games is doing NASCAR games right now and Headstrong was merged into Kuju. They're pretty close to Next Level Games but those are the only ones left.

I agree that they need to do a lot more.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
There's ALWAYS need for more JRPGs in my book.

Always

Nintendo doesn't really work like that. They don't go around thinking "Hmm we are missing out on this latest trend or this particular genre". Instead they do what they've always done. They pitch games internally based almost solely on gameplay and then build around that. There are of course those with calculators within N like in every company, but they really do approach software within their systems from the perspective of whether it suits Nintendo and it's system instead of going out of their way trying to bring something to the system instead. With Nintendo it's always a bit different.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo created a business alliance with Cygames earlier this year. For all intents and purposes that is their equivalent to creating a new studio.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Nintendo created a business alliance with Cygames earlier this year. For all intents and purposes that is their equivalent to creating a new studio.
For mobile. Might as well not exist because it in no way affects their line of Switch software production which is what we're talking about

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I made a bet with a moderator on here. They said the N64 Mini would be announced in the first half of 2019. This is one bet I want to lose lol.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Monolithsoft open a new studio recently? Surely that counts?

Kind of but not really. Their studios outside of the main branch are not separate teams with their own projects, they are support studios that work on whatever the main Monolith Tokyo is working on, or as support for EPD.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Speaking of Monolith Soft:

graph01.jpg

They just grew again with 6 more employees as of November for a total of 184. They were at 178 in September.

For comparison, they were at 109 employees back in June 2016 during the height of Xenoblade 2's production and near the end of BOTW. They've grown about 69% since then. At this rate they'll be a 200 person studio by mid 2019. It seems they've proven themselves as a capable, financially viable studio after the big success of XC2 and BOTW so it seems Nintendo is investing in them greatly.

This is perfect because more employees reflects on a bigger budget, allowing for them to create bigger and more ambitious projects. This is why Monolith Soft has been my favorite Nintendo studio lately. They have this atmosphere to them that Nintendo doesn't have. They want to be the Bethesda of Japan (except less buggy lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.