• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
I agree.

By the end of 2019, I don't think 3DS library will look that impressive next to Switch's library. Which is saying something because 3DS had eight years to build it's library. Switch doesn't turn two years old until March, and somehow it has already accumulated more games than 3DS.

I think people forget how slow 3DS was at building it's library.

Switch is building it's software library (first party and third party) at a much faster speed than 3DS ever did.
I think what's most exciting about the Switch is how unpredictable its library is. The hardware is capable of more quirky new experiences like Labo, Super Mario Party. But it is also hosting a fantastic library of games you'd never expect these days on a Nintendo system. Mortal Kombat, Doom, Wolfenstein, mainline Final Fantasy. How about Bayonetta 3? MUA3? ARMS? Octopath Traveler? Crash Bandicoot? Daemon x Machina? Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes? All these games you can't predict coming to Switch, some let alone existing.

All these new games combining together on one system alongside the mainstay Nintendo franchises that the Wii U & 3DS got. It's exciting because who knows what's right around the corner

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recall reading an interview were nintendo was adressing the issue of aquiring studios, they said that often the talent left giving as example, that after metroid prime many directors left the studio, and after that they prefer to collaborate directly with the talent that they want to make a game with
Yeah a lot of people have left Retro since the Metroid Prime days. It's definitely not something you want. In the west turnover is probably more prevalent than in Japan is my guess.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I think what's most exciting about the Switch is how unpredictable its library is. The hardware is capable of more quirky new experiences like Labo, Super Mario Party. But it is also hosting a fantastic library of games you'd never expect these days on a Nintendo system. Mortal Kombat, Doom, Wolfenstein, mainline Final Fantasy. How about Bayonetta 3? MUA3? ARMS? Octopath Traveler? Crash Bandicoot? Daemon x Machina? Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes? All these games you can't predict coming to Switch, some let alone existing.

All these new games combining together on one system alongside the mainstay Nintendo franchises that the Wii U & 3DS got. It's exciting because who knows what's right around the corner

That is very, very true. Switch has one of the most unpredictable libraries that a Nintendo system has ever had.

The first Nintendo system to have a Diablo game...ever.
The first Nintendo system to have most of the PS1 and PS2 Final Fantasy games.
The first Nintendo system to have Onimusha and Street Fighter 3.
Even seeing "Night Trap" on a Nintendo system is surprising. (considering the history behind it)

There are times when I've asked myself, "Wow, is this really a Nintendo system?"

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
That is very, very true. Switch has one of the most unpredictable libraries that a Nintendo system has ever had.

Even seeing "Night Trap" on a Nintendo system is surprising. (considering the history behind it)

There are times when I've asked myself, "Wow, is this really a Nintendo system?"
Exactly, a lot of surprises, a lot of "firsts". I can't wait to see what lies ahead. I'm personally always pushing for more new IP from Nintendo, preferably with at least a decent budget and scale like Splatton, ARMS, Wonderful 101, etc.

As games take longer to make especially for those dev teams that have to change from 3ds tech to Switch HD tech, I'm always pulling for Nintendo to grow with at least one new studio in any way. That way they are ensured with a constant stream of exclusive games (may new franchises as well from lesser explored genres from Nintendo) vs only depending on partnerships. Do both!

More exclusive games of varying genres and types creates more confidence in the consumer to buy and continue to play on your system = more sales = more money.

That's why I'm thankful for Monolith Soft. They are exactly what Nintendo needs. Creating large story driven open world(ish) games with ambition. And now they've grown into a two game studio with what seemingly looks like an ambitious new IP coming! Plus maybe Aonuma's theif game maybe, who knows.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have there been any further hints at a Waverace for Switch? It was such a tease to have that Nintendo employee mention the franchise for the first time in 15+ years.

MrGab

Oct 25, 2017

What is the next?

The first Nintendo system to have a GTA game (home consoles)?
The first Nintendo system to have DMC?
The first Nintendo system to have Kingdom Hearts (home consoles)?

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile

The first Nintendo system with Elder Scrolls and with a Wolfenstein or Blazblue game that is not a complete mess.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017

Problem is those games are older multi-platform games really. Think about the GameCube for a second and the fact that it got the following: (bold being exclusive /timed exclusive)

Ride Racer Evolution
Tales of Symphonia
Baten Kaitos franchise
Lost Kingdoms franchise
Exclusive "Final Fantasy" game
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes

Soul Calibur 2 w/ Link
Resident Evil franchise
Super Monkey Ball franchise
Sonic Adventure franchise
Phantasy Star Online franchise
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Capcom 5

I think that's veritably the more unpredictable and noteworthy lineup. Switch still has some catching up to do as far as actual exclusive games from third party publishers.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you're going to get those big name brand exclusives for Switch. More third party devs want to be multiplat unless you got someone funding their game like Street Fighter V. There are some other exclusives. So far for Switch we have

-Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
-Golf Story
-Fire Emblem Warriors (yeah there's a 3DSv)
-Octopath Traveler
-Daemon x Machina
-Town
-Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
-Shin Megami Tensei V
-Bayonetta 3
-Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

I'm probably missing some. I've enjoyed the ones I play. It doesn't matter to me if they're AAA or indie.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Third party exclusives aren't really a thing anymore, at least not like they used to be during the PS2 era. Not sure if it's a point worth comparing.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Third party exclusives aren't really a thing anymore, at least not like they used to be during the PS2 era. Not sure if it's a point worth comparing.

There are still some on PS4. Just today, cygame and arcsys announced a new granblue fighting game, so far exclusive to the system.
But yes, it's far less prominent than 10-15 years ago. It's both good, and unfortunate; I like the fact that each console has its specificities.

Last edited:

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

That's one way to look at it I guess.

It's also not the first Nintendo system to have a Blizzard game (not talking about Lost Vikings), those FF games seem to be more due to S-E changing their strategy rather than Nintendo going for it (cf the Xbox release around the same time), and Onimusha is a really dated game that I doubt will sell well on any platform.
SF3 is nice but is not a great port sadly (same for other platforms to be fair).
I'm not sure anyone asked for Night Trap, but sure, that's pretty funny considering the history.

Unpredictable is a right word, but dated also applies to describe those ports, which is pretty disappointing.
Hopefully 2019 will be more interesting than unpredictable.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Platinum games seem to have several Switch exclusives in development. It should have a sweet exclusive library next year.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The issue with third party exclusives in today's industry is that if you're going to invest dozens of millions dollars in a single game without the backing of one of the hardware maker you need to do everything possible to make it generate as much money as possible, and that includes releasing it on as many platforms as it's realistically possible.

Situation is absolutely not comparable to Gamecube where you could make good looking games without having to invest so much, and could afford making it exclusive.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018

Mainline Final Fantasy is stretching it at this point.

Other than that. Switch is really killing it with the software so far. Their 1st party games have been stellar. Their 3rd party exclusives amazing middle-tier or indie masterpieces and the amount of support it is getting already is much larger than I would have fathomed.

Octopath and Mario + Rabbids are two best examples of games that I think take the best advantage of System and it's crowd in collaboration with big N.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mainline Final Fantasy is stretching it at this point.

Other than that. Switch is really killing it with the software so far. Their 1st party games have been stellar. Their 3rd party exclusives amazing middle-tier or indie masterpieces and the amount of support it is getting already is much larger than I would have fathomed.

Octopath and Mario + Rabbids are two best examples of games that I think take the best advantage of System and it's crowd in collaboration with big N.
It is mainline Final Fantasy. We're getting most of them, that we didn't get, after VI. We even got FFXV Pocket Edition.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Platinum games seem to have several Switch exclusives in development. It should have a sweet exclusive library next year.
I doubt that. Maybe 2 including Bayonetta unless Nintendo just bank rolled all of their new IPs or something which wouldn't make sense since they want to be independent with these new franchises and give them the biggest audience to succeed.

Besides, how many games can Platinum work on at once? They have Bayonetta, Granblue, Babylons Fall, I believed they just recently completed World of Demons. How many projects can they have going at once? All those games + at least one new IP, also there's a Viewtiful Joe rumor I believe. How can they be involved with so many games at once? Especially some being big projects for Platinum like Bayonetta

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
It's technical correct. FF VII, IX, X/X-2, XII and XV Pocket Edition. I would count it, since none of those games appeared on previous Nintendo consoles.

It is mainline Final Fantasy. We're getting most of them, that we didn't get, after VI. We even got FFXV Pocket Edition.

Yeah don't get me wrong FFIX is going to be the first ever video game that I will pay the publisher for fifth time in my life. Great use of money there.

But hyping Final Fantasy Mainline game in that list to me is stretching it, since the Pocket Edition really is not the mainline game. It is a different game. But yeah those older ports can definitely be interpreted like that.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are still some on PS4. Just today, cygame and arcsys announced a new granblue fighting game, so far exclusive to the system.
But yes, it's far he's prominent than 10-15 years ago. It's both good, and unfortunate; I like the fact that each console has its specificities.

Yeah, there are a handful of real third-party exclusives like Dissidia NT or EDF5 but almost everything else gets a PC release as well. On the Switch there are a few like Octopath Traveler and Mario & Rabbids with Shin Megami Tensei V, Daemon X Machina, Ninjala, Travis Strikes Again and Ninja Box announced. It's important to remember that this isn't a 3DS situation anymore, for better or worse.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Yeah, there are a handful of real third-party exclusives like Dissidia NT or EDF5 but almost everything else gets a PC release as well. On the Switch there are a few like Octopath Traveler and Mario & Rabbids with Shin Megami Tensei V, Daemon X Machina, Ninjala, Travis Strikes Again and Ninja Box announced. It's important to remember that this isn't a 3DS situation anymore, for better or worse.

Having these mid-tier exclusives like you mentioned is critical in Switches longevity in my opinion. PS4 has such a massive market share that Nintendo needs an exclusive library for those core gamers (if you will the term) that will get it in the long run but are not early adopters or always on board with every Ninty console.

Those and continuing critical success of 1st party games.

And Pokémon. Always Pokémon.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the way Nintendo is going by the end of 2020 I'll be able to say the Switch has the best first party games of any Nintendo system. Nintendo is rolling for me.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Having these mid-tier exclusives like you mentioned is critical in Switches longevity in my opinion. PS4 has such a massive market share that Nintendo needs an exclusive library for those core gamers (if you will the term) that will get it in the long run but are not early adopters or always on board with every Ninty console.

Those and continuing critical success of 1st party games.

And Pokémon. Always Pokémon.

True. We're gonna see more of these games that set the system apart from the PS4 and XONE. It's the smartest way to go about it.

Deleted member 33

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Problem is those games are older multi-platform games really. Think about the GameCube for a second and the fact that it got the following: (bold being exclusive /timed exclusive)

Ridge Racer Evolution
Tales of Symphonia
Baten Kaitos franchise
Lost Kingdoms franchise
Exclusive "Final Fantasy" game
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes

Soul Calibur 2 w/ Link
Resident Evil franchise
Super Monkey Ball franchise
Sonic Adventure franchise
Phantasy Star Online franchise
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Capcom 5

I think that's veritably the more unpredictable and noteworthy lineup. Switch still has some catching up to do as far as actual exclusive games from third party publishers.

I agree with what you're saying.

But in regards to the Switch, I think Nintendo has been spending a lot of money to secure exclusives. It's just a question of whether fans are happy with the exclusives that Nintendo is getting.

Daemon x Machina from Marvelous Games.
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle from Ubisoft
Octopath Traveler from Square Enix
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 from Activision
Bayonetta 3 from PlatinumGames and Sega.
Travis Strikes Back: No More Heroes from Suda51.

Nintendo even secured a 1 year temporary exclusivity deal over Super Bomberman R.

You mention, for example, Link appearing in Soul Calibur 2. We recently had Star Fox in the Switch version of Ubisoft's Starlink: Battle for Atlas.

Last edited:

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

But in regards to the Switch, I think Nintendo has been spending a lot of money to secure exclusives. It's just a question of whether fans are happy with the exclusives that Nintendo is getting.

Nintendo even secured a 1 year temporary exclusivity deal over Super Bomberman R.

You mention, for example, Link appearing in Soul Calibur 2. We recently had Star Fox in the Switch version of Ubisoft's Starlink: Battle for Atlas.

Activision doesn't seem to be involved with M:UA3 at all. It's Nintendo publishing and Team Ninja developing.

Deleted member 33

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

These games are nice to have indeed. That being said, only two (soon 3) have released so far, one being very close to being a smashing hit, and the other being in the eyes of many quite disappointing (octopath).
I hope the trend continues, but none of these game is a console defining one like bloodborne or Spiderman are. I understand that the switch is still young, but I believe that it would do Nintendo very good if they shelled the money to fund a really big third party game. Bayonetta 3 could be it, but we haven't seen anything from it so far so hard to judge the scope of the project.
To speak frankly, I would like them to do something with From Software. Bloodborne is possibly one of the 10 best games this gen, and the switch only received a late port off DS1 with severely gimped audio so far.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018

I'm happy with the variety of exclusives and number, it's just what sucks to me personally is that most of them feel like cheaper lower budget games vs the AAA scale games like Spiderman, Quantum Break, Bloodborne, Detroit, etc. With the exception of Mario+Rabbids, and probably Bayonetta 3, Ocotpath, DxM, most of them feel small scale like they don't have as much ambition to them

I need that big budget Switch game because a lot of its exclusive lineup looks like AA scale games with some just luckily selling AAA level sales if that makes any sense. It gets tiring looking at almost every upcoming Switch game and thinking "Eh it looks alright I guess. Kinda cheap looking." This feeling even leaks into many of Nintendo's first party games. I thought LM3 was a Luigi's Mansion 3DS up port at first because of how average it looked visually. I should not have felt that way for the Luigi's Mansion 3 reveal trailer, a sequel to a game that sold like 4-5ish million copies. Same goes for Fire Emblem though I can excuse that for being their first HD FE but still. It looked pretty average at E3, like a ps3/360 game. Even worse for MUA3 which looks pretty dang cheap during gameplay segments. Also why does it feel like every Switch game reveal has framerate problems? No other system or publisher has those issues but Switch has it constantly. It just makes the system look terrible. The only 3rd party exclusive for the Switch that I thought looked amazing and high quality was M+R. It had the visuals, the framerate, the scale and budget to showcase what the Switch can do. Octopath looked exactly as beautiful as it should with the Switch hardware. Most other things make the Switch look like a portable 360 which we know it can do better.

MUA3, XC2, FE Three Houses, even FF Crystal Chronicles HD which is an HD port had atrocious framerate problems in its footage in the direct. It's like publishers don't care about what their game looks like on Switch because people have lower standards or it's a lower priority but on any other system they try to make their games look clean and smooth upon first showcase. Maybe I'm weird thinking this way.

Last edited:

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
In that list, the only ones seemingly really disappointing some people here are MAU3 due to graphics (even though the first two never looked great even for its era), and TSA because it's not a "true" No More Heroes game. Aka two games that aren't out yet.

Not to say that Octopath wasn't disappointing to some (it's not as good as Bravely), but it still sold really well, and reviewed very well as well (unless you're someone from Kotaku).

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Octopath Traveler was disappointing to many? What
It wasn't. It was critically well received and sold very well and has a great crowd reaction to it, with people feeling it really nailed what it tried to achieve.

It's just some vocal morons who themselves perhaps didn't like the game and try to brush it off with blatant lies.

Not to say that Octopath wasn't disappointing to some (it's not as good as Bravely), but it still sold really well, and reviewed very well as well (unless you're someone from Kotaku).
Octopath was great.
But we still need Bravely 1/2 HD and Bravely Third on Switch asap.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't. It was critically well received and sold very well and has a great crowd reaction to it, with people feeling it really nailed what it tried to achieve.

It's just some vocal morons who themselves perhaps didn't like the game and try to brush it off with blatant lies.

Octopath was great.
But we still need Bravely 1/2 HD and Bravely Third on Switch asap.
Yeah just the usual someone spreading bs. Octopath was great and I see a lot of people talk about it positively in the fan base.

Jan 2, 2018
Octopath is my personal GotY, it's not flawless, but I love it and I think the majority of it's players weren't disappointed by it. Also it shows so much potential and I'm excited to see a follow-up from that team!

In regards to Fire Emblem. I think the "framerate drops" are a misconception. I think, and I could be wrong, that they only occured during the cutscenes in the trailer and that could be an artistic choice. I've seen this "style" in animation and it's a bit strange but I don't think this qualifies as a low framrate.
The gameplay looked fluid to me, but I have to be honest, I don't have the eye to see minor drops in a video.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Between Sekiro, the next Souls game and Armored Core, I don't really see FromSoftware working with Nintendo. They seem to have their hands full.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What will be the big thing for a January direct. Will it be to see more footage of Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion 3? Will it be the first footage of Metroid Prime 4 or Animal Crossing or Bayonetta 3? Maybe it will be a combination of these. I think Nintendo needs to get 2019 off to a good start with the January direct representing what 2019 will be about. The 2018 Mini Direct did that.

I can see some spotlights for a couple of these games.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What will be the big thing for a January direct. Will it be to see more footage of Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion 3? Will it be the first footage of Metroid Prime 4 or Animal Crossing or Bayonetta 3? Maybe it will be a combination of these. I think Nintendo needs to get 2019 off to a good start with the January direct representing what 2019 will be about. The 2018 Mini Direct did that.

I can see some spotlights for a couple of these games.

The Jan Direct pretty much outlined the first half of 2018: Some new games and ports, dates for announced games and new DLC. Only The World Ends with You wasn't announced for that time period and Dark Souls didn't make the May release because of the delay. I think the 2019 Direct is gonna be very similar. Dates for Fire Emblem and Yoshi, some ports, DLC for Smash and a few other surprises. I expect Persona 5 to be shown, for example. I think the March/April one is the one to look out for megatons.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Jan Direct pretty much outlined the first half of 2018: Some new games and ports, dates for announced games and new DLC. Only The World Ends with You wasn't announced for that time period and Dark Souls didn't make the May release because of the delay. I think the 2019 Direct is gonna be very similar. Dates for Fire Emblem and Yoshi, some ports, DLC for Smash and a few other surprises. I expect Persona 5 to be shown, for example. I think the March/April one is the one to look out for megatons.
I believe we'll see Retro's game, but I think they'll be a March/April Direct or held until E3. MP4 could be held until E3, but I think we'll see MPT HD in the January direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.