• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
What will be the big thing for a January direct. Will it be to see more footage of Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion 3? Will it be the first footage of Metroid Prime 4 or Animal Crossing or Bayonetta 3? Maybe it will be a combination of these. I think Nintendo needs to get 2019 off to a good start with the January direct representing what 2019 will be about. The 2018 Mini Direct did that.

I can see some spotlights for a couple of these games.

NSMBUDX
Yoshi
Fire Emblem
MP Trilogy
Bayonetta 3

and third party stuff

Oct 25, 2017
I think they'll tease the Direct with "focusing on Animal Crossing for Nintendo Switch."

I expect spotlights for Animal Crossing + Fire Emblem, maybe Luigi's Mansion as well. One brand new first party announcement on top of that.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I believe we'll see Retro's game, but I think they'll be a March/April Direct or held until E3. MP4 could be held until E3, but I think we'll see MPT HD in the January direct.

Yeah, Retro's game and Metroid Prime 4 seem to be tailor made for big events like E3. Weren't pretty much all of Retro's games announced at E3? If that doesn't make 2019, it's probably time to start worrying.

Metroid Prime Trilogy would be a nice reveal for the January direct with a release a few months later.

Just thinking about the announced and potential releases for next year has me pretty excited. If nothing is delayed and we get 1-2 surprises... whew lad.

Deleted member 16849

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I refuse to buy Metroid Prime 4 unless the Trilogy comes out for the Switch. I'm only saying that because I have never played any of the Prime games.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
If that doesn't make 2019, it's probably time to start worrying.

Back reading this topic, which is always a lot of fun, will probably yield the exact same sentence said before E3 2018.
After 5 years without any news, and the only rumors about a future game being accompanied by rumors of a more ambitious project canned or shelved (we can't embrace one side of the rumor and ignore the other), I personally think it's already time to worry. Not that the switch can't live without Retro, but it's an iconic studio and 5 years+ without a game is in itself a problem.
Now apparently they're working on a Star Fox spin-off, an idea for which I personally find hard to be remotely excited, and it may end up being a great game for the majority. But I doubt that Nintendo is satisfied with a studio releasing 1 game per console generation and changes will have to be made to the studio, if they haven't already been made.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Back reading this topic, which is always a lot of fun, will probably yield the exact same sentence said before E3 2018.
After 5 years without any news, and the only rumors about a future game being accompanied by rumors of a more ambitious project canned or shelved (we can't embrace one side of the rumor and ignore the other), I personally think it's already time to worry. Not that the switch can't live without Retro, but it's an iconic studio and 5 years+ without a game is in itself a problem.
Now apparently they're working on a Star Fox spin-off, an idea for which I personally find hard to be remotely excited, and it may end up being a great game for the majority. But I doubt that Nintendo is satisfied with a studio releasing 1 game per console generation and changes will have to be made to the studio, if they haven't already been made.

It wont be a SF spin-off but a SF reboot.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if only one of bayonetta 3 and MP4 can come out in 2019 and the other one slips into 2020, which one do you want for 2019?
personally i want bayo for 2019, and then they can put the prime trilogy in 2019 to get people ready for 4 in 2020.
but then again we've heard more about MP4 and how it's ready to be shown, while we have no idea how far along bayonetta 3 is in development.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Octopath Traveler was disappointing to many? What

Octopath had good reviews and great sales. Maybe he is talking about Kotaku reviewer with peculiar Jrpg taste lol.^_^

When we see how SE cut short its jp games sales by low stocking the game for 2 whole month and yet the game still sold 1 mil+, there is nothing bad to be said about octopath performance lol.

When is Octopath 2????

Between Sekiro, the next Souls game and Armored Core, I don't really see FromSoftware working with Nintendo. They seem to have their hands full.

From Soft is making Armored Core??? I dont hear that news at all lol. Isnt one of AC devs move to Daemon x Machina?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Not sure where you got those rumours about the "more ambitious" project from. Jason Schreier heard about a second project that had a rocky development and might have been cancelled and LinkedIn profiles pointed towards an "exploratory project" (whatever that means). We know barely anything about that game, not even if it was in a state where it could be called a game. Unless you have another source?

I agree with one thing, however: Retro's current size doesn't justify their output. They are in a similar situation to Sony Santa Monica where they are taking ages between projects, only helping other devs. Hopefully they can turn around the ship as well.

From Soft is making Armored Core??? I dont hear that news at all lol. Isnt one of AC devs move to Daemon x Machina?

Miyazaki teased it but yes, key people left and are doing Daemon X Machina and Left Alive at Marvelous and Square-Enix respectively.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Retro's game and Metroid Prime 4 seem to be tailor made for big events like E3. Weren't pretty much all of Retro's games announced at E3? If that doesn't make 2019, it's probably time to start worrying.

Metroid Prime Trilogy would be a nice reveal for the January direct with a release a few months later.

Just thinking about the announced and potential releases for next year has me pretty excited. If nothing is delayed and we get 1-2 surprises... whew lad.

Yes, all of Retro's games have been announced at E3. If we don't see it by E3, then I'll start worrying. The rumor is Star Fox GP is Retro's take on what Star Fox should be as a franchise. So we know Retro takes their time and wants polish. I'm not worried. Some insiders said earlier this year that it was supposed to be a 2019 title and one of them said summer 2019 I believe.

if only one of bayonetta 3 and MP4 can come out in 2019 and the other one slips into 2020, which one do you want for 2019?
personally i want bayo for 2019, and then they can put the prime trilogy in 2019 to get people ready for 4 in 2020.
but then again we've heard more about MP4 and how it's ready to be shown, while we have no idea how far along bayonetta 3 is in development.

This is easy for me, I want Metroid Prime 4 for 2019. Sadly, Bayonetta type of games don't appeal to me. I wish they did, but they don't.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I agree with what you're saying.

But in regards to the Switch, I think Nintendo has been spending a lot of money to secure exclusives. It's just a question of whether fans are happy with the exclusives that Nintendo is getting.

Daemon x Machina from Marvelous Games.
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle from Ubisoft
Octopath Traveler from Square Enix
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 from Activision
Bayonetta 3 from PlatinumGames and Sega.
Travis Strikes Back: No More Heroes from Suda51.

Nintendo even secured a 1 year temporary exclusivity deal over Super Bomberman R.

You mention, for example, Link appearing in Soul Calibur 2. We recently had Star Fox in the Switch version of Ubisoft's Starlink: Battle for Atlas.

Also what is different with Switch compared to past Nintendo platforms, is that Switch is only Nintendo platform moving forward so they are securing 3rd party exclusives just for one platform now compared to previous generations when they were securing them for 2 platforms.
So all Nintendo focus, effort and investment will be on Switch alone, that will gave quite good results also (so no just regardless 1st party support) for Switch regarding 3rd party exclusives at end, but also generally 3rd party support (with one platform Nintendo will be more focused, agresive, willing...to bring support genearly 3rd party support).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Octopath had good reviews and great sales. Maybe he is talking about Kotaku reviewer with peculiar Jrpg taste lol.^_^

When we see how SE cut short its jp games sales by low stocking the game for 2 whole month and yet the game still sold 1 mil+, there is nothing bad to be said about octopath performance lol.

When is Octopath 2????

Square seriously undersold this game. The game did great. Octopath Traveler has a good foundation for a sequel now. I know the biggest complaint was the characters not interacting with each other through story. Maybe they can work on that for a sequel. The next game should sell much better.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
don't see why it can't be a 2019 title.
Because Nintendo has announced a lot of 2019 games: Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Yoshi, Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokémon, Town...

For some of these games, we haven't seen anything, but these games has been explicitly announced for 2019. Pokémon is even an "holiday 2019" game.

But for Metroid Prime 3 and Bayonetta 3, Nintendo continue to say "TBA". Why would they announce a lot of 2019 games, sometimes more than one year before their release date, but keep saying "TBA" for Metroid Prime 3 and Bayonetta 3? Because these two games aren't planned for 2019.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because Nintendo has announced a lot of 2019 games: Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Yoshi, Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokémon, Town...

For some of these games, we haven't seen anything, but these games has been explicitly announced for 2019. Pokémon is even an "holiday 2019" game.

But for Metroid Prime 3 and Bayonetta 3, Nintendo continue to say "TBA". Why would they announce a lot of 2019 games, sometimes more than one year before their release date, but keep saying "TBA" for Metroid Prime 3 and Bayonetta 3? Because these two games aren't planned for 2019.

They are listed as TBA because they were announced without release date and we haven't seen them since. They usually don't announce release windows in their financial reports.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

I am pretty sure Nintendo didn't announce hole their 2019. lineup in 2018. in any case, we deffinatly have some 2019. games that are not still even announced, so Bayonetta 3 or Metroid Prime 4 could easily be 2019. games also.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Guys, it seems that you do not remember that in January of 2018 we did not know that Smash, Super Mario Party and Mario Tennis existed.

Oct 30, 2017
I personally think Metroid Prime 4 and Bayinetta 3 both won't make it in 2019.

However I do think we will get surprise low key titles for 2019 that get announced in 2019.

- More 3rd Party Ports (Dark Souls 2?, DQXI, Persona 5?)
- Nintendo ports (Pikmin 3? Skyward Sword HD?)
- Mario Tennis Switch
- Casual Game (Wii Fit sequel? Something different like Labo?)

The above games don't need long marketing campaigns. But I do think in terms of major titles we already have those announced such as Yoshi, Animal Crossing, Pokémon and Fire Emblem.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, it seems that you do not remember that in January of 2018 we did not know that Smash, Super Mario Party and Mario Tennis existed.
yeah, i don't know why people are assuming we already know the entire 2019 lineup. 2019 will have titles we don't know anything about (star fox GP maybe?), AND games that don't have a date yet (like MP4 for example).

- Mario Tennis Switch
you mean golf? i don't think camelot can whip up a new game in a year, and they're still working on (or were working on until very recently) new content for aces.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Right, at E32017 they said they were working on Pokémon but they did not give a date

yeah, i don't know why people are assuming we already know the entire 2019 lineup. 2019 will have titles we don't know anything about (star fox GP maybe?), AND games that don't have a date yet (like MP4 for example).

you mean golf? i don't think camelot can whip up a new game in a year, and they're still working on (or were working on until very recently) new stuff for aces.

Camelot is small and continues to add content to Mario Tennis Aces, I do not think Mario Golf will release before 2020.

Although I suppose that things like character modeling can be recycled.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

you mean golf? i don't think camelot can whip up a new game in a year, and they're still working on (or were working on until very recently) new content for aces.
I don't get it like we know all of 2019. So if we know Pokémon, Luigi's Mansion, Town, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Yoshi are coming in 2019?

That's not everything that's coming in 2019. Bayonetta 3 and MP4 don't have release dates because we haven't seen them revealed again with a release date. Nintendo's not going to put "2019" for either game in their financials until they reveal the games.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to go into the absurd spin-off debate but they said a Pokémon RPG in Siwtch and that's exactly what Let's Go is.
Is there any evidence for that? I mean, it's not like Let's Go wasn't a thing during E3 2017 yet ot anything.
From the horse's mouth
Pokémon also announced that the next introduction to its popular core RPG series, which was teased last year at E3, will arrive in late 2019 on Nintendo Switch for the first time.

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/pokemon-games-unveiled-for-nintendo-switch

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The content rollout for Aces has been painfully slow so I am not exactly sure how much it would affect their ability to release a new Mario Golf in a timely manner. I think the bigger problem is that unlike with Aces, they don't have a base game to work from like Ultra Smash but at least they have an engine that runs great on Switch and lots of assets that they can reuse. But yeah, 2019 is way too early, even 2020 might be too optimistic tbh.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Next year is basically the year when the 3DS transition would be completed. 2017 was about the home console teams and 2019 has Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion and Pokemon. Those are big franchises that were very present on 3DS.

I would expect other portable franchises to make the jump too.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The content rollout for Aces has been painfully slow so I am not exactly sure how much it would affect their ability to release a new Mario Golf in a timely manner. I think the bigger problem is that unlike with Aces, they don't have a base game to work from like Ultra Smash but at least they have an engine that runs great on Switch and lots of assets that they can reuse. But yeah, 2019 is way too early, even 2020 might be too optimistic tbh.
true, there's no wii u game to base the new game on this time. i think late 2020/early 2021 is a more realistic timeframe for camelot's next game (if it is indeed mario golf)

Are we getting any content updates for Super Mario Party...? I'd love new boards or minigames
i thought for sure they're gonna update that game with new boards/minigames. but it's been more than two months and nothing has been announced/shown since then.
maybe they want to go back to the n64/gamecube days and just put out a sequel every year, in that case content updates don't make sense.

Last edited:

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
They are listed as TBA because they were announced without release date and we haven't seen them since. They usually don't announce release windows in their financial reports.
That's not true. They changed the release date of the next Pokémon in their report, for example. It's TBA because these games won't be available in 2019.

I am pretty sure Nintendo didn't announce hole their 2019.
For sure. Nintendo announces ports three months before release, so we'll probably know them later. And we can have more third party games, like Octopath Traveler this year. But Bayonetta and Metroid won't release in 2019. There isn't any reason to thing they will release in 2019, but there are reasons to thing they won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.