• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
I realy wanted to know if the mario team is making a expansion to odyssey or a brand new game lol

Also, do we have any new info about that luigi mansion game for switch? Is the same devs of the 3ds one?
The latter by this point. It's been over a year without a hint. Don't hold onto the idea.

And yes Luigi's Mansion 3 is made by Next Level Games who did Dark Moon

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Also, do we have any new info about that luigi mansion game for switch? Is the same devs of the 3ds one?
edit: Are tyou talking about LM or Dark Moon?
There are literally posts talking about Retro being turned into a support studio or outright closed...

I don't really care what people want them to make or how "ambitious" their games have to be.
The ppl making those posts are assuming and predicting like everyone else. I dot agree but it is what it is
It's also been 6 years of silence and BBQ tweets....

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018
The only first-party Switch game I want DLC for is Super Mario Party, it really needs it. I would love some DLC for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, but after all this time I doubt it.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
It hasn't actually been confirmed that NLG is doing Luigi's Mansion 3, even though it's a safe assumption.
You're right. It's weird that both NLG's Twitter and website don't acknowledge the game's existence at all as if it wasn't already shown off. Why? I doubt someone else is making it, though that'd be quite a turn of events if that was the case. Then what would NLG be doing this whole time?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're right. It's weird that both NLG's Twitter and website don't acknowledge the game's existence at all as if it wasn't already shown off. Why? I doubt someone else is making it, though that'd be quite a turn of events if that was the case. Then what would NLG be doing this whole time?
there was a wii u game, but that got put on hold for Luigi's Mansion 2. I assume the Wii U game got put back on the burner but got canned and Luigi's Mansion 3 was put up

Qubie

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like NLG social media activity was shut down after Metroid Prime Federation Force trainwreck

Jan 11, 2018

NLG's website doesn't even acknowledge Federation Force.

Oct 26, 2017
sure. there ain't enough fans who'll cry over it. I still don't think taking SF off rails would make it lose its identity though. Star Link was pretty much Star Fox with another name. hell, that's probably why it even sold what it did.
Hey, you won't see me crying over it. I'm pretty meh on the franchise overall, tbh. I'm just saying that, in that case, Star Fox would be better off abandoned as, really, not every Nintendo franchise needs an entry, as much as everyone wishes it was otherwise. I won't disagree that taking it off rails would be a bad idea but I don't think that'd do too much to help it sell in this day and age

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Star Fox has sales potential with multiplayer but for some reason they never really focused on it, making Star Fox Zero single-player only. Now we wait for Retro.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, you won't see me crying over it. I'm pretty meh on the franchise overall, tbh. I'm just saying that, in that case, Star Fox would be better off abandoned as, really, not every Nintendo franchise needs an entry, as much as everyone wishes it was otherwise. I won't disagree that taking it off rails would be a bad idea but I don't think that'd do too much to help it sell in this day and age
depends on the route they take it in. I always felt they should just Mass Effect the Star Fox universe. they can still incorporate the vehicles in a big way, but just add some on-foot shooty bits (good ones, not like Assault) and multiplayer

expand on this, essentially

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
A Wii Sports + Resort + Pilotwings collection would be a sight to behold.

But I don't think I am ready for the nightmares to return.

r8xod8cfq5911.jpg
I bought a Switch for Christmas and lamented the fact that there isn't a Switch Fit/Resort game on the system
Would've gone along great with Smash and Mario Kart 8, but alas, I just settled for the latest Just Dance

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I know Metroid Other M wasn't particularly well liked, but I've always thought the Metroid: Other M style of controls/foot gameplay would work pretty solidly for short Star Fox foot sections (without any first person stuff).

Make it so you can control multiple Star Fox members, maybe only one or two available the first time through, depending on the context of the mission, but when you replay a section you can pick any member of the team. Each one has different abilities so you can get some extra collectables or something. Make it so you can pick between a handful of weapons and subweapons. Make each level short and action packed, maybe like 1-20 minutes.

I just think the combat was pretty satisfying with the dodge mechanic. The boss fights were overall pretty good. It's simple and easy to pick up and that type of gameplay is ideal for Starfox out-of-ship sections.

Oct 26, 2017
depends on the route they take it in. I always felt they should just Mass Effect the Star Fox universe. they can still incorporate the vehicles in a big way, but just add some on-foot shooty bits (good ones, not like Assault) and multiplayer

expand on this, essentially

Hmm... that could work. Honestly, would be better than what we've gotten for several years. But, in that case, I think a new IP would a better route so they're not tied down to any conventions, much like how we've gotten Splatoon and Arms in recent years as opposed to spin-offs of existing IP. Like Star Fox has had so many experimentions, many of which that haven't been received well, that I can see something like that being divisive, even if it's done well

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
The Star Fox series has had way more chances than its had good games. Something new or reviving something old like F-Zero or Wave Race would be more interesting.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad Retro does what they want with people crying about not getting what they want and claiming doom and gloom on their studio.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018

I hadn't seen this. But this is the only acceptable iteration of this meme. Well done.

I think a Star Fox open world would sell well nowadays and Starlink (which didn't make a huge splash probably for how much it was advertised as a toys-to-life game) totally proved that the concept is doable.

At the same time i'm not sure why bother: there are other Nintendo franchises that deserves a comeback more than Star Fox now.

For example Smash made the Ice Climbers so popular i can see this franchise reborn with a 3D entry kinda like what Sakurai did for Kid Icarus.

NO.
Ice Climbers isn't supposed to be 3D.
If you wanna make a new game for it. Make it a modern version of the old.
2.5D Arcade game with several summits to attack in all sorts of environments.
Light RPG skill tree, LOTS of items, Weather/Day-night levels.
Plan your route through a mountain and attack the heights.
Modern controls and co-op mode of course with online leaderboards and competitive play.
Speedrun mode.

Make it a modern arcade classic.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if i was nintendo and the GP game wasn't real, i would hit up the starlink team and get them to make a star fox game (without the toy and dlc bullshit, of course).
if somewhere in the development of the game they would have realized that it's going to fail miserably and instead got nintendo's ok to rework it into a star fox game, it would have WAY outsold starlink on all platforms combined.

Last edited:

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Even after 5 years, I'm willing to give Retro Studios the benefit of the doubt. Also, I think Tropical Freeze is up there with the big AAA games even though it's a 2D game.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What? I like Donkey Kong as much as the next guy, but their output (apart from perhaps some support work) the last 5 years has been:

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

I expect just a teensie bit more.
Monster Games handled the port of 3D Returns.

Retro did handle the Tropical Freeze port but projects like that do not require lots of manpower and time. It's likely a small team handled that over a period of months.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo first party studio online presence sucks and I don't get why they do this. Look at Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica or The Coalition. They engage with their fans, they host livestreams, they put some personalities in front for people to latch on to... Why can't Nintendo have that? Why do we have to follow a Retro twitter account that explicitely says that it serves no purpose? Why can't Next Level Games even acknowledge LM3?

But hey, they have 30 different accounts for the Japanese audience at least! If you're in the west, fuck you. I really hate how Nintendo manages their first party games online. Especially when it works so well for Sony and Microsoft.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Monster Games handled the port of 3D Returns.

Retro did handle the Tropical Freeze port but projects like that do not require lots of manpower and time. It's likely a small team handled that over a period of months.

According to the infallible wikipedia entry on the company they co-developed returns, but I'm sure you're correct. Thats even worse then.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Nintendo first party studio online presence sucks and I don't get why they do this. Look at Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica or The Coalition. They engage with their fans, they host livestreams, they put some personalities in front for people to latch on to... Why can't Nintendo have that? Why do we have to follow a Retro twitter account that explicitely says that it serves no purpose? Why can't Next Level Games even acknowledge LM3?

But hey, they have 30 different accounts for the Japanese audience at least! If you're in the west, fuck you. I really hate how Nintendo manages their first party games online. Especially when it works so well for Sony and Microsoft.
It helps that those Sony studios had announced their games many years before release, and don't they all have multiple projects? So that means more often a new release as well. Nintendo is very hands-off with social media in general, so I think that's just a different strategy. And to be honest, with this approach they can't fall victim to online rage due to posts with bad taste.

Deleted member 32106

Banned
Nov 9, 2017

Well, West get the engage with outlet that didn't exist in Japan.
I still remember when they translate every thing that related to Xenoblade 2 to Japanese and also complain like you lol.

Jan 2, 2018
I hadn't seen this. But this is the only acceptable iteration of this meme. Well done.

NO.
Ice Climbers isn't supposed to be 3D.
If you wanna make a new game for it. Make it a modern version of the old.
2.5D Arcade game with several summits to attack in all sorts of environments.
Light RPG skill tree, LOTS of items, Weather/Day-night levels.
Plan your route through a mountain and attack the heights.
Modern controls and co-op mode of course with online leaderboards and competitive play.
Speedrun mode.

Make it a modern arcade classic.

Why shouldn't it work for Ice Climbers? Many doubted if Metroid could be translated to 3D, but it worked. For Kid Icarus, as mentioned, it worked. I can't think of any Nintendo IP where the jump to 3D failed.
I'm still waiting for a 3D Kirby game.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Maybe the MK/ARMS team? They made the first Luigi's Mansion.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Why shouldn't it work for Ice Climbers? Many doubted if Metroid could be translated to 3D, but it worked. For Kid Icarus, as mentioned, it worked. I can't think of any Nintendo IP where the jump to 3D failed.

I'd argue DK64 didn't work all that well.

But in general we haven't gotten many platforming series in 3D. I'm assume Ice Climbers would be platforming.

Jan 2, 2018

But in general we haven't gotten many platforming series in 3D. I'm assume Ice Climbers would be platforming.

I liked DK64. You don't have to be a completionist!

Mhh, you could reimagine the franchise. I mean, you can't even call "Ice Climbers" a franchise or series. It's only one game, so you could easily change some things up.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I liked DK64. You don't have to be a completionist!

Mhh, you could reimagine the franchise. I mean, you can't even call "Ice Climbers" a franchise or series. It's only one game, so you could easily change some things up.

Make it like Shadow of the Colossus, with giant living iceberg and glacier monsters.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Im not saying it couldn't work. I am saying not everything needs to be 3D or Open World and Ice Climbers is one of those.
World has too few great arcade games nowadays.
DK64 is overrated bue to nostalgia reasons.

Arcade Platforming action genre ;)

Jan 2, 2018
Im not saying it couldn't work. I am saying not everything needs to be 3D or Open World and Ice Climbers is one of those.
World has too few great arcade games nowadays.
DK64 is overrated bue to nostalgia reasons.

Oh, I agree that not everything need to be 3D and honestly I'm a bit tired of Open World games. But I'm not sure if a 2D, arcade-like Ice Climbers game would fly nowadays.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Oh, I agree that not everything need to be 3D and honestly I'm a bit tired of Open World games. But I'm not sure if a 2D, arcade-like Ice Climbers game would fly nowadays.

If done properly I would have absolutely no doubt it would work well.
Being arcade platformer doesn't mean it would have to be shallow.
Lots of different level mechanics. Tight controls. Secrets etc.

There are a lot of players there wanting those linear, challenging games. Celeste wasn't praised for nothing.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To put things into perspective, there are more people at Retro right now than there were people credited on Tropical Freeze across Retro (~70), Monster Games (~25) and additional contractors (~25).

Jan 2, 2018
If done properly I would have absolutely no doubt it would work well.
Being arcade platformer doesn't mean it would have to be shallow.
Lots of different level mechanics. Tight controls. Secrets etc.

There are a lot of players there wanting those linear, challenging games. Celeste wasn't praised for nothing.

Celeste was most notably praised for it's narrative. The gameplay is great, but without it's story it wouldn't have received all that praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.