• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of LABO, I remember when people kept saying wait until Holiday. Doesn't seem like that panned out whatsoever lol. But I'm sure Nintendo won't drop the concept just yet.

ah yes, a PEGI 12 version of The Witcher 3

that listing is totally legit XD
Someone brought it up in the other thread, but I can see this being related to Smash DLC. Everything else listed fits for Smash Bros assuming they release a physical cart or something for the dlc.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably nothing big but the president of Genius Sonority said in an interview with 4Gamer that they're releasing a game in 2019.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably a Switch port of Pokémon Shuffle (or some other small-scale Pokemon spin-off).

Shuffle would be pretty difficult to play docked without rebalancing every single time-based level but more than that, I think they stopped updating the game a while ago and are only running repeat events now (they're on their 2nd cycle afaik). But they have hi-res images of every single Pokémon + variations (except Meltan and Melmetal) so I wouldn't be surprised if they released another game like it.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Shuffle stopped getting updates a while ago, so it will probably be a new game.

Genius Sonority is very small now, so I wouldn't expect anything mindblowing.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
If I had to guess I'd assume anything coming from Genius Sonority would come to mobile. Seems to be where the minor Pokemon spinoffs are moving to.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
A Mario/Nintendo flavoured city builder like a modern SNES-SimCity would be great, but has almost no chance in getting created.

It could work as an Animal Crossing spin-off imho, and if done well it would sell quite well.

Look at Cities Skylines: the game sold like hot cakes and even Tropico is still a decent seller, simply because there is no competition on that genre but the audience is still there hungry for more games.

If i was EA's CEO i'd totally do what Ubisoft did with M+R, but with a Simcity crossover game for the Switch: unfortunately EA successfully managed to ruin the franchise on PC, and now they're making money on mobile with the microtransactions.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I had to guess I'd assume anything coming from Genius Sonority would come to mobile. Seems to be where the minor Pokemon spinoffs are moving to.
They have an original series, The Denpa Men which hasn't had a game in a while. They could always make The Denpa Men 4 for mobile and switch

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Speaking of LABO, I remember when people kept saying wait until Holiday. Doesn't seem like that panned out whatsoever lol. But I'm sure Nintendo won't drop the concept just yet.

For sure, though i find very annoying the people that are already calling it out as a huge flop, since we don't really know what were Nintendo's expectations, i think it's up to the company to say this (and if it is a flop Nintendo usually isn't shy of saying it out loud), not us because of some imaginary goal.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Genius Sonoritys biggest mistake was thinking that having atrocious character designs was acceptable, with their GC Pokémon games. Really a shame that they didn't do more ambitious console games for quite some time now.

It could work as an Animal Crossing spin-off imho, and if done well it would sell quite well.

Look at Cities Skylines: the game sold like hot cakes and even Tropico is still a decent seller, simply because there is no competition on that genre but the audience is still there hungry for more games.

If i was EA's CEO i'd totally do what Ubisoft did with M+R, but with a Simcity crossover game for the Switch: unfortunately EA successfully managed to ruin the franchise on PC, and now they're making money on mobile with the microtransactions.

Animal Crossing would not work that well for a "SimCity" game from a demographic standpoint. The AC games are too focused on cute character interaction. My suggestion is a classic "SimCity" with Mario/Nintendo integration (like cameos) similar to SNES-SimCity, more than in the original is fine but it should be still "realistic" in a cartoony way - so no "Mushroom Kingdom" but more like New Donk City, basically a new SNES SimCity styled game. Mario or Pauline could take the role of the mayor, like the green haird Wright character, and Bowser among others as catastrophies.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Genius Sonoritys biggest mistake was thinking that having atrocious character designs was acceptable, with their GC Pokémon games. Really a shame that they didn't do more ambitious console games for quite some time now.
they always existed for Pokemon's sake, only branching out a couple times. I remember reading that a lot of their staff moved to Game Freak and Creatures. without much capital now, they don't have much reason to stick around

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
They have an original series, The Denpa Men which hasn't had a game in a while. They could always make The Denpa Men 4 for mobile and switch

Denpa Men was my first thought, too.

they always existed for Pokemon's sake, only branching out a couple times. I remember reading that a lot of their staff moved to Game Freak and Creatures. without much capital now, they don't have much reason to stick around

Them and Umbrella (?) are both like that I think. With the state of Pokemon spin-offs being what it is, I doubt either is doing anything worth getting excired for.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017

They were supposed to be part of the fleet of first-party developers that worked on RPGs for Nintendo. They started up with Nintendo's Q-Fund, and they really were supposed to be handling this "massive 3D Pokemon RPG" project that never did the massive numbers they hoped for. They got stuck mainly making Pokemon spin-offs and the staff and funding dwindled.

Most staff joined other RPG developers from what I see (Natsume, Square-Enix, Heartbeat, etc.). I doubt anyone would have been enthusiastic about just joining another developer that works on nothing but Pokemon.

Ambrella was another Nintendo-creation that worked through their Marigul label (a first-party production group that funded Japan indie talent for Nintendo games). They were prototyping a speech recognition game that Nintendo decided to plaster Pikachu on during the late 90's pokemon craze. Their fate was sealed after.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most staff joined other RPG developers from what I see (Natsume, Square-Enix, Heartbeat, etc.). I doubt anyone would have been enthusiastic about just joining another developer that works on nothing but Pokemon.
that feels like the biggest problem with the studios Nintendo work with. Alpha Dream is the "Mario & Luigi" studio, Grezzo is the "Zelda assist" studio (but got their chance at an original IP that bombed), etc. the security is there, but the freedom? giving these studios a chance to branch out would do Nintendo some good

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
They were supposed to be part of the fleet of first-party developers that worked on RPGs for Nintendo. They started up with Nintendo's Q-Fund, and they really were supposed to be handling this "massive 3D Pokemon RPG" project that never did the massive numbers they hoped for. They got stuck mainly making Pokemon spin-offs and the staff and funding dwindled.

Ambrella was another Nintendo-creation that worked through their Marigul label (a first-party production group that funded Japan indie talent for Nintendo games). They were prototyping a speech recognition game that Nintendo decided to plaster Pikachu on during the late 90's pokemon craze. Their fate was sealed after.

I know the situations are different, but it seems like such a waste that Nintendo has these companies they don't really do anything exciting wth (Ambrella, GS, NST, etc). Brownie Brown got turned around to a degree after languishing for a decade, though. And Nd Cube kinda floundered for a bit after its creation. Maybe they can find some use for the former as support (NST seems like they are on port-support now).

Just a question, but do we know if Ninteno owns part of Vanpool, Vitei, Alpha Dream and other small studios that seem to only work with them? Or are they purely independant and just contracted?

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder where Ambrella even goes from here. They revealed that F2P Rumble game and it was supposed to have another beta test earlier this year, but news stopped over a year ago.

Then Quest became a thing and pretty much made it redundant.

Pokemon spinoffs as a whole just fell off a cliff halfway into the Wii/DS era. They've started to make a bit of a comeback with Pokken and Detective Pikachu, but I feel like most will still stick to the F2P model.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Looking to clean up the OP. I'm going to make it much simpler, cleaner to read, and easier to update. Do you guys mind this look? Have to cut back on all the colorful visuals and colors =P

Nintendo_EPD_logo.jpg

The core development force of Nintendo, with multiple production groups scattered across their main R&D plants in Kyoto and Tokyo. The personnel totals around 800 game developers that range from fresh recruits, to industry pioneers who worked on the original Famicom. While the internal R&D groups mainly focus on developing Nintendo's biggest franchises like The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros. Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and Mario Kart - there is also a significant chunk of resources exclusively dedicated to creating new IPs or experiences like Miitopia, Nintendo Labo, 1-2 Switch, and Miitomo.

Nintendo EPD - Production Group No. 1 (External R&D)
■ Manager / Producer -
Hitoshi Yamagami
■ Project Leads:
■ Releases: Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE, XenoBlade Chronicles X, Kirby: Star Allies, Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! / Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!,
■ Current: Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Nintendo EPD - Production Group No. 2 (External R&D)
■ Manager / Producer -
Toshiharu Izuno
■ Project Leads:
■ Releases: Mario Sports: Superstar, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga +, Mario Tennis Aces, Super Mario Party, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
■ Current:
??
Nintendo EPD - Production Group No. 3 (Internal R&D) *
■ Manager / Producer -
Eiji Aonuma
■ Project Leads: Hidemaro Fujibayashi, Daiki Iwamoto, Makoto Miyanaga
■ Releases: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
■ Current: ??
Nintendo EPD - Production Group No. 4 (Internal R&D)
■ Manager / Producer -
Kouichi Kawamoto
■ Project Leads: Norihiro Ito, Tsubasa Sakaguchi
■ Releases: Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, Nintendo Badge Arcade, Miitopia, 1-2 Switch, Nintendo Labo
Nintendo EPD - Production Group No. 5 (Internal R&D) *
■ Manager / Producer -
Hisashi Nogami
■ Project Leads: Aya Kyogoku, Yusuke Amano
■ Releases: Splatoon, Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo, Splatoon 2
■ Current: Animal Crossing
Nintendo EPD - Production Group No. 6 (External R&D) *
■ Manager / Producer -
Kensuke Tanabe
■ Project Leads: Akiya Sakamoto, Goro Abe
■ Releases: Metroid Prime: Federation Force, Paper Mario: Color Splash, WarioWare Gold
■ Current: Metroid Prime 4, Luigi's Mansion 3
Nintendo EPD - Production Group No. 7 (Internal R&D)
■ Manager / Producer -
Katsuya Yamano
■ Project Leads: Takehiko Hosokawa, Ryutaro Takahashi, Masami Yone
■ Releases: Tomodachi Life, Rhythm Heaven Megamix, Miitomo, Metroid: Samus Returns
Nintendo EPD - Production Group No. 8 (Internal R&D)
■ Manager / Producer -
Koichi Hayashida
■ Project Leads: Kentaro Motokura, Shinya Hiratake, Futoshi Shirai
■ Releases: Ultimate NES Remix, Super Mario Odyssey, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Nintendo EPD - Production Group No. 9 (Internal R&D)
■ Manager / Producer -
Kosuke Yabuki
■ Project Leads: Masaaki Iwasaki, Kenta Sato, Kentaro Nishimura
■ Releases: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Arms
Nintendo EPD - Production Group No. 10 (Internal R&D) *
■ Manager / Producer -
Hiroyuki Kimura
■ Project Leads: ?
■ Releases: Pikmin 3, Super Mario Maker, Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS, Super Mario Run, Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Nintendo EPD - Smart Device Production Group (External R&D)
■ Manager / Producer -
Hideki Konno
■ Project Leads: ?
■ Releases: Fire Emblem Heroes, Dragalia Lost

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder where Ambrella even goes from here. They revealed that F2P Rumble game and it was supposed to have another beta test earlier this year, but news stopped over a year ago.

Then Quest became a thing and pretty much made it redundant.

Pokemon spinoffs as a whole just fell off a cliff halfway into the Wii/DS era. They've started to make a bit of a comeback with Pokken and Detective Pikachu, but I feel like most will still stick to the F2P model.
probably more games like Pokken, Conquest, Ranger, etc. fully features games but in a different genre.

how about a meta pokemon game, like Gundam Build Fighters (PTCG was like this, no?)

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Looking to clean up the OP. I'm going to make it much simpler, cleaner to read, and easier to update. Do you guys mind this look? Have to cut back on all the colorful visuals and colors =P

Nintendo_EPD_logo.jpg

The core development force of Nintendo, with multiple production groups scattered across their main R&D plants in Kyoto and Tokyo.

"have to"?

But I think it looks good! Especially if it's easier to update for you.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I thought about that, but didn't the Denpa Men heavily rely on AR features? If they are making another Denpa Men game, then it's probably mobile only.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought about that, but didn't the Denpa Men heavily rely on AR features? If they are making another Denpa Men game, then it's probably mobile only.
it looks like the third game relied less on the AR features and was more of a fantasy rpg. doesn't seem like they kept up the functionality beyond the first couple games

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Checking the OP since forever.

It seems we actually know Very little on what is coming up with Nintendo studios?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Nintendo_EPD_logo.jpg

The core development force of Nintendo, with multiple production groups scattered across their main R&D plants in Kyoto and Tokyo. The personnel totals around 800 game developers that range from fresh recruits, to industry pioneers who worked on the original Famicom. While the internal R&D groups mainly focus on developing Nintendo's biggest franchises like The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros. Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and Mario Kart - there is also a significant chunk of resources exclusively dedicated to creating new IPs or experiences like Miitopia, Nintendo Labo, 1-2 Switch, and Miitomo.
You forgot Yabuki's team at EPD Kyoto.

bdwnfn99

Oct 25, 2017
1. Give us a proper new Advance Wars
2. City builder Advance Wars spinoff where you're building cities, then at certain points defend them from invasion. Land in a new territory/area and build a new city/capital and defend it, too. Maybe too similar to Civ? But I think there could be a lot of potential there.

Jan 2, 2018
It might seem a bit uneducated to ask this, but what is up with Nintendo EPD - Production Group No. 3, No. 5 and No. 6? I don't see them mentioned in the OP.

Chea996

Nov 4, 2017
Milan - Italy

Nintendo_EPD_logo.jpg

This way is also easier to read, but I would at least stick with the current title banner. The one you put in here is way too anonymous imho.

kOtmsuM.png

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
It might seem a bit uneducated to ask this, but what is up with Nintendo EPD - Production Group No. 3, No. 5 and No. 6? I don't see them mentioned in the OP.
They haven't been publicly named yet, so it's impossible to say which one is which. We know that there's one for Zelda, one for Splatoon (and presumably Animal Crossing), and one for NSMB/Mario Maker.

There are apparently two more as well, according to EAD Ninja's site (unless that's changed).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
They haven't been publicly named yet, so it's impossible to say which one is which. We know that there's one for Zelda, one for Splatoon (and presumably Animal Crossing), and one for NSMB/Mario Maker.
We'll probably get a number for the last of those three in two weeks (when NSMBU Deluxe releases), right?

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017

There are apparently two more as well, according to EAD Ninja's site (unless that's changed).

I got a tip from a source on 3, 5, 6, and 10 that seem to make sense. So I will list them with an asterisk. The rest are confirmed through Japanese magazine bios or press kit bios.

Jan 2, 2018

I got a tip from a source on 3, 5, 6, and 10 that seem to make sense. So I will list them with an asterisk. The rest are confirmed through Japanese magazine bios or press kit bios.

Thank you! Now I'm curious!

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
http://kyoto-report.wikidot.com/nintendo-epd

Nintendo_EPD_logo.jpg

Unless the mobile group counts as one of the 11, I'm assuming that Tadashi Sugiyama is the manager of the remaining group? It doesn't look like he's been credited on anything since Tank Troopers.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
http://kyoto-report.wikidot.com/nintendo-epd

Unless the mobile group counts as one of the 11, I'm assuming that Tadashi Sugiyama is the manager of the remaining group? It doesn't look like he's been credited on anything since Tank Troopers.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for. But my info only supplemented 1-10. So i'm hoping the 11th one is another game group and not just the smart device group.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
When do we expect the next Zelda to come out?

I'm thinking 2D Zelda in 2019, BOTW sequel in 2020

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Could we get some sort of roundup or list of announced/known projects somewhere.

So like Luigi's Mansion (Game + Date), Prime (Game + unknown date) and Genius Sorority (unknown project)

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When do we expect the next Zelda to come out?

I'm thinking 2D Zelda in 2019, BOTW sequel in 2020

2019 for 2D Zelda is a good bet imo, 2020 for 3D Zelda perhaps a bit optimistic but it's difficult to say with Nintendo and how they change plans at the drop of a hat.

Could we get some sort of roundup or list of announced/known projects somewhere.

So like Luigi's Mansion (Game + Date), Prime (Game + unknown date) and Genius Sorority (unknown project)

The list on Wikipedia is pretty accurate when it comes to officially announced projects. Unless you were asking about having the list in this thread...

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Disappointed the new first party thread is not titled:

New Nintendo First Party Thread

In line with the terrible Nintendo naming pattern like NSMB and NN3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.