• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's true that Ehoavash has not provided evidence to the Admins that they are in fact in a position to know what they claim to know. Therefore, the admin team can not verify that they are telling the truth.

However, based on what we know about this year, I have no reason to doubt Ehoavash's recent claims. It lines up with what I've personally heard about this year's software lineup.
Oh snap!

I guess we can say Smash port will be a big holiday title? Honestly, kind of underwhelming. I'm wondering why insiders know so much about these ports but not new releases like FE.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
It's true that Ehoavash has not provided evidence to the Admins that they are in fact in a position to know what they claim to know. Therefore, the admin team can not verify that they are telling the truth.

However, based on what we know about this year, I have no reason to doubt Ehoavash's recent claims. It lines up with what I've personally heard about this year's software lineup.

Knew it. Smash Bros. and NSMBU are coming this year.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017

Even the Namco part?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is why I never doubted him because you never seemed to deny his post about the NSMBU+ port.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
So strange.....

I'd, again, really expect a new 2D Mario to be showing up and the fact they might be porting NSMBU just leaves me wondering what is going on with the staff involved in those games. Is it just that they prioritized SMM2 and still want to get a 2D Mario on the system early?

Smash Brothers is less strange, but I'd have expected it earlier, unless it is a significantly "Deluxe" port. I hope it is a summer title rather than a holiday centerpiece.

But the other thing is these games are huge. Mario Kart was huge but it came a) early and b) filled a hole in the release schedule as far as big titles go.

When I think about a NSMB port I start thinking "is this the holiday game?"

I really hope not. That would be incredibly disappointing to me and also worrisome: Let's remember that Switch came in off a software drought, that MK8DX is a port, that Zelda was severely delayed, and that Mario was finished long before it was released. Let's also remember that Switch is Nintendo's only future-oriented console atm. Where are the EPD games? H2 2018, surely, but then you have rumors about mega-ports and it just becomes "huh? are these supposed to be the stars of the show?" Or is Nintendo going to really stack the deck in H2 2018?

If it is true, I hope Smash is, say, a summer title and NSMB is, say, a September title, like SMM and that the holiday is a couple new, fresh games from EPD.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So strange.....

I'd, again, really expect a new 2D Mario to be showing up and the fact they might be porting NSMBU just leaves me wondering what is going on with the staff involved in those games. Is it just that they prioritized SMM2 and still want to get a 2D Mario on the system early?

Smash Brothers is less strange, but I'd have expected it earlier, unless it is a significantly "Deluxe" port. I hope it is a summer title rather than a holiday centerpiece.

But the other thing is these games are huge. Mario Kart was huge but it came a) early and b) filled a hole in the release schedule as far as big titles go.

When I think about a NSMB port I start thinking "is this the holiday game?"

I really hope not. That would be incredibly disappointing to me and also worrisome: Let's remember that Switch came in off a software drought, that MK8DX is a port, that Zelda was severely delayed, and that Mario was finished long before it was released. Let's also remember that Switch is Nintendo's only future-oriented console atm. Where are the EPD games? H2 2018, surely, but then you have rumors about mega-ports and it just becomes "huh? are these supposed to be the stars of the show?" Or is Nintendo going to really stack the deck in H2 2018?

If it is true, I hope Smash is, say, a summer title and NSMB is, say, a September title, like SMM and that the holiday is a couple new, fresh games from EPD.

Emily said before that this year would be carried by third party games+indies, remasters of past nintendo titles and some new first-party games so I would think that this is going to happen.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
NSMBU seems like a really weird decision for us forumdwellers. But then again New Super Mario Bros. 2 sold 12 million copies and NSMB Wii was one of the Wii's definitive local multiplayer games.

I wouldn't be excited by it since NSMBU, while I like it enough, is nowhere near the top of Wii U games I'd personally like to see ported, but eh, clearly it's a business decision. Probably they'll dump it in a relatively dry month or as a supplementary release rather than the big holiday thing.

Smash though I fully expect to be sequel-worthy as far as new content goes.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
She also pushed back against the sort of take-away I'm left with though and I'm just confused as all hell as to how to take her rumor :P.

So layer that on top of my confusion at the hypotheticals I was exploring.

Plus, Nintendo being carried by third parties is such a foreign concept to me. I really don't know how to take it. So that confuses me too. I just can't see it happening or what could be coming this year that could carry Switch.

Just confused all around.

silby

Oct 27, 2017
If Super Smash Bros for Switch is positioned in a "we're supporting and adding to this version for the lifetime of the console" sort of way, I have no objection whatsoever to that approach.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Nintendo is making a colossal mistake focusing on ports in the 2nd year of the system. The third-party software better be absolutely phenomenal and give consumers a reason to buy the Switch over PS4/XB1.

Maybe a new entry from a massively popular series would be enough to sustain it alongside ports until 2019, but who knows.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now I wonder which game is Nintendo's big holiday game? I'm assuming Smash will launch with the paid online. That makes a lot of sense.

Smash to me has the strongest reasoning to be the holiday title from games we know so far. I think it could be the November game and NSMBU would be the October game. Yoshi the July game and Fire Emblem maybe the September game.

I'm praying Retro's game is this year only because I know people are going to be so mad and negative about NSMBU being ported and they'll think there's no big true new game coming in the second half.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm now really wondering what these teams have been up to, because these ports surely aren't taking up a lot of time and resources.

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone needs to edit the Star Trek The Last Guardian gif with Retro Studios' game instead.

Just to be safe.

Perd Hapley

Oct 25, 2017
2013 - A Link Between Worlds
2015 - Triforce Heroes

So, where do we think this team is at? There's lots of talk about 2D Mario for this year, but what about top-down Zelda? AFAIK Shikata is nowhere in the credits for BOTW, so he must have been working on his own project for awhile now. It's probably coming before whatever Grezzo is doing, and that's likely 2019/2020, given that Ever Oasis came out just last year.

This is basically how I see the rest of the year playing out after Kirby in March:

April - Labo, Hyrule Warriors
May - DKC: TF
June - Mario Tennis
July - Yoshi
August - Octopath Traveler (not first-party, but could fill a similar third party exclusive role to Mario + Rabbids last year)
September - Fire Emblem
October - Retro's game, more Labo
November - Pick one - Pokemon, 2D Mario, top-down Zelda, Smash, Mario Maker
December - Animal Crossing

Swap the months around in the second half however you want to. Throw in a couple more ports, third party stuff, and maybe a small surprise or two (like Pikmin 4 or a new IP) and it's a pretty solid year.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
It is worth noting that Ehoavash only specified SSB for Switch as happening this year. NSMBU could also be an early 2019 release which would make sense and give some breathing room from all the other ports/H2 releases. Bracing for it to be this year though.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
It is worth noting that Ehoavash only specified SSB for Switch as happening this year. NSMBU could also be an early 2019 release which would make sense and give some breathing room from all the other ports/H2 releases. Bracing for it to be this year though.

No, he clarified later on that both were coming this year.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I would think 2D Zelda of some form would be coming in the next 2 years. I'd guess more multiplayer? Although they might be really gutsy and do that with the next 3D Zelda? They have been talking about multiplayer a lot.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm now really wondering what these teams have been up to, because these ports surely aren't taking up a lot of time and resources.
Maybe lots of the handheld teams are getting used to working with HD? I'm not too sure.

I think the vast majority will accept the Smash port. I really hope Nintendo can get Animal Crossing out this year. Maybe Pokémon is ready idk. There's still Pikmin. I just don't want to see Nintendo back in the negative light again after all this goodwill they've built up.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Well, unless there is a blowout before then, I'm going to be on tenterhooks going into e3 this year.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really understand the worry over a maybe pointless NSMBU+L port. I doubt it'd slow development on a sequel to Mario Maker or their experiments with a new type of 2D Mario dramatically. If such a title were ready, they'd just... release that instead. But if they can quickly prepare a port, why not? It's not as if there isn't a brand new Mario game for core players already out.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but we should know the big picture by then. i.e. what the third party support coming this year will be, whether Nintendo is doing those ports too and how they slot in, what new games Nintendo has that are hitting this year and how big they are, etc.

I don't really understand the worry over a maybe pointless NSMBU+L port. I doubt it'd slow development on a sequel to Mario Maker or their experiments with a new type of 2D Mario dramatically. If such a title were ready, they'd just... release that instead. But if they can quickly prepare a port, why not? It's not as if there isn't a brand new Mario game for core players already out.

I'm just repeating myself but a) you'd expect a new 2D Mario title could be ready for this year, b) 2D Mario is huge and there is the possibility of a port of NSMB taking up a major release slot.

So it throws two things into question, c) if 2D Mario isn't the big new game this year, what is? Pokemon is often thought to be 2019. Is AC coming this year? and also d) rephrasing b: is the big holiday game a Mario U port?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3D Mario and 2D Mario are two separate series man. Don't compare the two. Many people only play 2D Mario. It's fair to think many people would've expected a new 2D Mario game since its been almost 5 years since the last game. We got a new 3D Mario game and it was 4 years since the last 3D Mario.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
3D Mario and 2D Mario are two separate series man. Don't compare the two. Many people only play 2D Mario. It's fair to think many people would've expected a new 2D Mario game since its been almost 5 years since the last game. We got a new 3D Mario game and it was 4 years since the last 3D Mario.
Mario Maker would count, right? They're made by the same team?

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I guess we can say Smash port will be a big holiday title? Honestly, kind of underwhelming. I'm wondering why insiders know so much about these ports but not new releases like FE.

If this is going to be the big holiday tentpole, I really hope they go all out for it.

Like, the return of Ice Climbers and Wolf, Inkling, Spring Man and a couple of fan requests like K. Rool and Geno.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017

1: Interest in the 2D Mario series has waned with the core crowd. Meanwhile, the return to sandbox gameplay absolutely appeals to core players. If you're just interested in a proper Mario to play, or want to see what Nintendo's marquee game is, Odyssey exists, and if you're specifically interested in a 2D platformer, there is an abundance. The actual sales of 2D and 3D Marios on the Wii U and 3DS are also incredibly close, at 5.73m vs. 5.7m and 11.73m vs. 11.4m. The gulf on the Wii was created by the casual fans: people who didn't own a Wii U.

2: Mario Maker was released two years ago, with the 3DS port only a year ago. It was after the release of Mario Maker that they said they would have to come up with something interesting for the next 2D Mario.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Emily people scared Nintendo might not have any big new first party games the second half of this year.
people get scared if a cloud blocks the sun over Nintendo to 2 seconds. internet just loves needless panic

if anything, I hope NIntendo adds more DLC to Smash and Mario Kart 8 if they really intend for those games to last the generation. new stuff is the only way I'll buy into MK8 again

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Either there's a big Nintendo Direct coming soon, or E3 will be fantastic because besides Bayonetta 3, Nintendo hasn't really announced any big games /third party exclusives since last E3. If nothing big happens soon (February), then it'll be too close to E3 to expect any big bombs. Nintendo never has huge announcements in March or April because of how close it is to E3. They're mostly lineup filler/recap.

E3 could be

Fire Emblem Switch premiere
Metroid Prime 4 premiere
Smash Bros reveal
Possible Animal Crossing reveal
Bayonetta 3
Retro Studios game
Possible Next Level Games project
Shin Megami Tensei V?
Pikmin 4
Maybe an Octopath Traveler showcase (probably not. I believe this game will get plenty of attention before E3)
Multiplats
Any new third party exclusives from any company

Now I don't expect all of this to be at E3. I expect some things to be revealed prior, like FE Switch premiere and Octopath at an April direct, or something like that. But dang imagine if all that was at E3 all at once.

Oct 26, 2017
Porting over NSMBU would be like porting over Modern Warfare 3 to Xbox One and have that as one of your major holiday games.

... I mean, it's not that inspired of a game and it came out a while ago and the console has many of these types of games...

switchitter

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
If Nintendo just wants to do a sequel to Wii U and port everything I'll just go ahead and sell my Switch. I prefer ambitious games. New games. If they can't deliver and just want to sell reheated crap all year that just sucks and means I misplaced my faith in them again. This is not a meltdown at all; if they don't come out with some really good game announcements, I'm out.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo just wants to do a sequel to Wii U and port everything I'll just go ahead and sell my Switch. I prefer ambitious games. New games. If they can't deliver and just want to sell reheated crap all year that just sucks and means I misplaced my faith in them again. This is not a meltdown at all; if they don't come out with some really good game announcements, I'm out.
Sure as hell reads like one

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Wow. Dude relax lol.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It looks like one tbh lol

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
people get scared if a cloud blocks the sun over Nintendo to 2 seconds. internet just loves needless panic

if anything, I hope NIntendo adds more DLC to Smash and Mario Kart 8 if they really intend for those games to last the generation. new stuff is the only way I'll buy into MK8 again
I mean, I'm just trying to make sense of the rumors we're getting...come on. I don't see why it is wrong to discuss the topic of the thread (Nintendo's output) when rumors are painting a strange picture imo.

This isn't panic...it is looking at these hypothetical situations and struggling to build a bigger picture and having a kind of "meh" picture fallout as an option.

switchitter

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Ok it's a bit of a meltdown...but dammit I'm frustrated with the radio silence and I haven't smoked any weed in like 2 weeks.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a statement of intent.
they're not mutually exclusive

I mean, I'm just trying to make sense of the rumors we're getting...come on. I don't see why it is wrong to discuss the topic of the thread (Nintendo's output) when rumors are painting a strange picture imo.

This isn't panic...it is looking at these hypothetical situations and struggling to build a bigger picture and having a kind of "meh" picture fallout as an option.
never said there's anything wrong with that. but as we see, we do have people melting down and a general befuddlement of the decision. personally I dont think it's strange at all. Nintendo is salvaging all their surefire evergreens on the switch. what is interesting is what it means for sequels of said games. Splatoon got a sequel, but MK8, NSMBU, and Smash arent. but regardless, we're getting them, and there are meltdowns. and these games will sell regardless

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
they're not mutually exclusive

never said there's anything wrong with that. but as we see, we do have people melting down and a general befuddlement of the decision. personally I dont think it's strange at all. Nintendo is salvaging all their surefire evergreens on the switch. what is interesting is what it means for sequels of said games. Splatoon got a sequel, but MK8, NSMBU, and Smash arent. but regardless, we're getting them, and there are meltdowns. and these games will sell regardless
Most of the discussion until Switchitter showed up was me spouting how confused I was. And then words like panic and fear start showing up thrown at the whole thread. It is hard not to think they are meant for me and the questions I was raising/working through.

There's also nothing wrong with being confused. Or questioning a seeming strategy. Sometimes it feels there is in this thread as the jump to "lol internet" or "meltdowns" or "people and Nintendo" is so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.