• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're right they're working on more ports.
Honestly I don't even know how a new Mario vs Donkey Kong would even work. They would have to put more effort into the games now than Nintendo would be willing to allow considering Nintendo's been averse to making eShop filler lately.
Or they could make Mario vs DK games for mobile.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Speaking of Mobile. I wonder if we will get a GAAS Mario Party for that platform.

It seems like a pretty natural fit. Build it like a card game where players have their own "deck" of Minigames that they have to collect by earning coins won in playing these minigames. Players then compete online and games draw from the combined pool of minigames held by each player. Combine that with a GATCHA character select system, and new boards releasing every month.

That actually sounds pretty good(and fair). Aditionally you could launch a "Mario Party" Complete Edition for the Switch with everything unlocked after say a year, and then begin Season 2 on Mobile.

Oct 27, 2017
You're right they're working on more ports.
Honestly I don't even know how a new Mario vs Donkey Kong would even work. They would have to put more effort into the games now than Nintendo would be willing to allow considering Nintendo's been averse to making eShop filler lately.
They did put out Snipperclips. I'm sure we'll see more similar titles.

Oct 27, 2017
tbf, I'm not sure what Spyder Monkey qualifies as "eShop filler" either. Pushmo, Dillon, Rusty, Dr. Mario?

I think he was referring to that Giles Goddard quote where Giles felt Nintendo was moving away from downloadable games and small-scale projects in general, only focusing on big stuff. Which he made clear was just speculation on his part based on Tank Troopers relative underpreformance. I don't think Nintendo is done with these types of games. Quite the opposite, I expect to see more of these types this year as more and more of their developers move away from the 3DS.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you just call Snipperclips "eShop filler"?
Hell to the no Snipperclips isn't eShop filler. I'm more talking about eShop games Nintendo publishes that no one cares about. Flip Wars and the last couple Mario vs Donkey Kong games are the most recent example. It really depends on context. Pushmo and Dillon were there to push the eShop when it first started, and Snipperclips was a launch title that even got DLC but there are some games that are just easy to make that are really only there to pad out the library. Like I don't think anyone remembers Pushmo World or Miracle Cure.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell to the no Snipperclips isn't eShop filler. I'm more talking about eShop games Nintendo publishes that no one cares about. Flip Wars and the last couple Mario vs Donkey Kong games are the most recent example. It really depends on context. Pushmo and Dillon were there to push the eShop when it first started, and Snipperclips was a launch title that even got DLC but there are some games that are just easy to make that are really only there to pad out the library. Like I don't think anyone remembers Pushmo World or Miracle Cure.
I remember Pushmo World. The Pushmo series is a nice IP I enjoyed.

Oct 31, 2017
In regards to old Nintendo Ips I am quite certain that Nintendo will bring back 1080 wave race and other huge old franchises as the re submission of trademarks gives solid clues.

Given what Kiminishua has said about more DLC for existing titles I am hoping for some more DLC for Mario kart dlx .

Plus I have a good feeling we will get a new kart racer in 2018/early 2019.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
In regards to old Nintendo Ips I am quite certain that Nintendo will bring back 1080 wave race and other huge old franchises as the re submission of trademarks gives solid clues.

Given what Kiminishua has said about more DLC for existing titles I am hoping for some more DLC for Mario kart dlx .

Plus I have a good feeling we will get a new kart racer in 2018/early 2019.
They've been renewing the Eternal Darkness trademark at the last minute for half a decade now. Sequel coming any second now by that logic :D

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still love the idea of a Diddy Kong Racing with Rare characters replaced by new, minor Nintendo mascots like Dillon and Mallo.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I still love the idea of a Diddy Kong Racing with Rare characters replaced by new, minor Nintendo mascots like Dillon and Mallo.

They could just replace all the Rare owned characters with more Kong family members (like how Dixie and Tiny replaced Banjo and Conker in the DS remake), and also make up some new characters along the way. Was never super fond of the idea of making the game into some eShop advertisement.

I guess I wouldn't mind Dillon because he's a cool design and at least fits the animal racer motif of DKR, but adding in people like Mallo feels really tacky imo.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree. It's a great spot to put Nintendo's minor characters. It doesn't have to do with eshop advertisement lol. It's about them getting to be in another game that brings them together. Mario Kart has Nintendo's bigger characters. BoxBoy might feel a little weird in it though. Flaming Chibi Robo too :P

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They could just replace all the Rare owned characters with more Kong family members (like how Dixie and Tiny replaced Banjo and Conker in the DS remake), and also make up some new characters along the way. Was never super fond of the idea of making the game into some eShop advertisement.

I guess I wouldn't mind Dillon because he's a cool design and at least fits the animal racer motif of DKR, but adding in people like Mallo feels really tacky imo.

"Tacky"? lol

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

Plus I have a good feeling we will get a new kart racer in 2018/early 2019

1080 and Wave Race could not be considered "huge" by any stretch of the imagination lol. Also they renew trademarks for old stuff all the time and nothing ever comes of it. Not saying it's impossible but using the trademarks as a reason to believe it is very unwise.

Mario Kart DLC and a new kart racer I can vibe with though! Diddy Kong Racing or Smash Kart let's get it!!!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the most likely IP to return to the Switch is Wave Race. Not because of the trademark thing, but it would be great with two players with the joycons. To feel the waves through the HD Rumble.

ITSMILNER

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at potential Wii U ports, what are the chances Star Fox Zero comes to Switch? For me, if it was to come over it would at the very least

- Need to have a revamped control system (dual analogs)
- Need a graphical bump
- Should also include Star Fox Guard

It would be a shame if the Wii U entry was the final nail in SF's coffin. If they brought out an improved SF0 and then give full control to Platinum to make a sequel I would be happy

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
It would be a shame if the Wii U entry was the final nail in SF's coffin. If they brought out an improved SF0 and then give full control to Platinum to make a sequel I would be happy

That's not how Nintendo IPs work though. Nintendo's own developers can't make rad cool hardcore games because they have people to answer to. Miyamoto had a vision for Star Fox Zero, and Nintendo's programmers had to adhere to it.

Caldorosso

Jan 15, 2018
Every time someone mentions Rolling Western anywhere, I get .1% of my energy back.

I'd sacrifice a whole Scrog just to have one for the Switch.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Looking at potential Wii U ports, what are the chances Star Fox Zero comes to Switch? For me, if it was to come over it would at the very least

- Need to have a revamped control system (dual analogs)
- Need a graphical bump
- Should also include Star Fox Guard

Zero, as they'd have to redesign the whole game and at that point ...
Also Star Fox Guard is completely impossible on Switch unless you require two consoles at which point ...

ergo: no chance

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wished Nintendo would realize their fans from 30 years ago have grown up and live lives away from people they can play games with. I can't think of any of their platformers with online co-op. They have online multiplayer for Smash, Mario Kart, but what about their other games? I wished I could play this new Yoshi Switch online with friends and family doing co-op runs, but I know Nintendo and it's like they think everyone is still a child with all kinds of friends who live nearby to play games with. Same with Mario Party, but that horse has been beaten to death.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The problem with Wave Racer is that it is a product of its time, like tribal tattoos

Today I do not see many people excited about sports like skateboarding, snowboarding or jet skis

MrGab

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Wave Racer is that it is a product of its time, like tribal tattoos

Today I do not see many people excited about sports like skateboarding, snowboarding or jet skis

Because do not exist great games about this stuff anymore. If Nintendo launch a great Wave Race, good sales will come.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't get this? I didn't know anyone who was excited for jet skis when Wave Race first came out and I don't know anyone now. If Wave Race is a good game it should sell decently to well.

Lots of people would love a new SSX type of snowboarding game. Idk how 1080 Snowboarding played, but if it's similar and good it would fill that itch

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I don't get this? I didn't know anyone who was excited for jet skis when Wave Race first came out and I don't know anyone now. If Wave Race is a good game it should sell decently to well.

Lots of people would love a new SSX type of snowboarding game. Idk how 1080 Snowboarding played, but if it's similar and good it would fill that itch
The thinking behind Glio's post is that the 90s were the decade of XXTREEEEEEEEEEMEness. "Extreme sports" like jet ski racing, downhill snowboarding, skateboarding ... Those were distinct trends of the 90s.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The thinking behind Glio's post is that the 90s were the decade of XXTREEEEEEEEEEMEness. "Extreme sports" like jet ski racing, downhill snowboarding, skateboarding ... Those were distinct trends of the 90s.

Exactly what I wanted to say

It's as if today you try to make a mascot with attitude in a non-ironic way, it would not work, it's something from the 90's

Crash and Sonic are maintained by pure nostalgia and tradition

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would like to know what Nintendo's expectations of Wave Race sales are. It sold 640,000 on the Gamecube and I guess that wasn't enough to keep it going. I think it could do close to a million if they brought it back today to Switch. It looks like the Directors are still there from Wave Race 64, but they have higher positions. I still would like to see it return from NST.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I would like to know what Nintendo's expectations of Wave Race sales are. It sold 640,000 on the Gamecube and I guess that wasn't enough to keep it going. I think it could do close to a million if they brought it back today to Switch. It looks like the Directors are still there from Wave Race 64, but they have higher positions. I still would like to see it return from NST.
why NST though? The good Wave Race was made by EAD.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
why NST though? The good Wave Race was made by EAD.
Only because I don't think EAD cares about Wave Race. If EPD wants to do it I'd love for them to. I just have this feeling they don't care. It's the same for F-Zero...nobody there seems to care to make one. Miyamoto sure as hell doesn't want to do it unless he introduced some new control to it.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Only because I don't think EAD cares about Wave Race. If EPD wants to do it I'd love for them to. I just have this feeling they don't care. It's the same for F-Zero...nobody there seems to care to make one. Miyamoto sure as hell doesn't want to do it unless he introduced some new control to it.
That's not his job anymore, though. Takahashi and Koizumi make these calls now.

Nintex

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sumo Digital doing a kart racer for Nintendo would really match with their Rabbids+Mario / Hyrule Warriors collaborative approach.
Diddy Kong Racing has been rumored to have in development since forever and Nintendo seems interested in turning Donkey Kong into a bigger brand.
In fact, ExciteBots was supposed to have been a Diddy Kong Racing game.

I can see them launch a Donkey Kong Racing game developed by Sumo Digital.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Sumo Digital doing a kart racer for Nintendo would really match with their Rabbids+Mario / Hyrule Warriors collaborative approach.
Diddy Kong Racing has been rumored to have in development since forever and Nintendo seems interested in turning Donkey Kong into a bigger brand.
In fact, ExciteBots was supposed to have been a Diddy Kong Racing game.

I can see them launch a Donkey Kong Racing game developed by Sumo Digital.
"in fact" = "in rumor" :)

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
If by last game you mean only game ever then yea. :) (just like WR and 1080^^)

Hey, I try to be optimistic

One of my wishes for what Retro is working on with online player to release this Halloween.

That would be a great dream game in the pipeline;)

Every time someone mentions Rolling Western anywhere, I get .1% of my energy back.

I'd sacrifice a whole Scrog just to have one for the Switch.

I need a Collection on Switch. I miss that game

Nintex

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

dkrt2kep.jpg

Just to make sure those dumb blogs don't just copy and paste shit

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually now that I think about it, nothing about Wave Race specifiically needs to be brought back. Someone like Shin'en can make a game like Wave Race a la Fast Racing.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Because do not exist great games about this stuff anymore. If Nintendo launch a great Wave Race, good sales will come.
I wish this were true. Dishonoured 2 was an absolutely amazing game - yet very few people actually bought it. Same for Titanfall 2 really: launched to critical acclaim and was in bargain bins within 2 months.

Great games don't, sadly, guarantee sales in this world. :(

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Retro would be making a new IP.

Am I just imagining it because I swear they are called "Retro Studios" because they revive old retro IPs like with Prime and DKCR. If they aren't doing those, wouldn't they be working on reviving another old IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.