• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to justify putting out a new MK soon when MK8DX still charts every single month. Unlike the two games during the console/handheld split, these would directly cut into each others sales. Why cut its sales potential when MK8DX is on track outsell every single entry except for MKWii? Yes, MK9 would sell and yes it would boost hardware sales as well but it's also the perfect opportunity for the MK team to try something new that could potentially benefit them more in the long run. They did try with ARMS, no reason they can't do that again unless their hardware roadmap requires them to have a new one out soon.

Nintendo as a whole has recognized the importance of new IP and revitalizing old IP with new ideas and they will continue pushing for that.

Splatoon is an interesting case because it's an example of a game performing disproportionally better in Japan than the rest of the world. They will definitely ride it out with Splatfests and special promotions for as long as they can but the franchise can go so many directions after that. I don't know if it makes sense for them to make a Splatoon 3 that would inevitably split the fanbase, something they probably want to avoid after introducing Nintendo Online. I could see a "hunting action"-like spin-off that takes elements from Salmon Run do pretty well though.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's hard to justify putting out a new MK soon when MK8DX still charts every single month. Unlike the two games during the console/handheld split, these would directly cut into each others sales. Why cut its sales potential when MK8DX is on track outsell every single entry except for MKWii? Yes, MK9 would sell and yes it would boost hardware sales as well but it's also the perfect opportunity for the MK team to try something new that could potentially benefit them more in the long run. They did try with ARMS, no reason they can't do that again unless their hardware roadmap requires them to have a new one out soon.

Nintendo as a whole has recognized the importance of new IP and revitalizing old IP with new ideas and they will continue pushing for that.

Splatoon is an interesting case because it's an example of a game performing disproportionally better in Japan than the rest of the world. They will definitely ride it out with Splatfests and special promotions for as long as they can but the franchise can go so many directions after that. I don't know if it makes sense for them to make a Splatoon 3 that would inevitably split the fanbase, something they probably want to avoid after introducing Nintendo Online. I could see a "hunting action"-like spin-off that takes elements from Salmon Run do pretty well though.
Actually, as far as we know, Splatfests are supposed to end on July 2019 (barring an extension).

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Actually, as far as we know, Splatfests are supposed to end on July 2019 (barring an extension).

True, but not only did they extend content updates by half a year, they also did Octo-Expansion. I assume any decisions they make pertaining to future Splatfests depend on the game's performance and community engagement post online subscription launch.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame that this thread is struggling to have an exciting conversation. Seems the hype is low compared to the SONY and Micro activity. Am I wrong? Is it that the outlook is bleak/boring?

Smash has all the hype in my circle that's why outside Nintendo direct threads, I mostly stick with the smash thread on era. Some Pokemon in there too.

Hype isn't low it's just that hype comes and goes with every nintendo direct. Honestly Nintendo fans are more spoiled than MS or Sony fans. We get big info dump news from nintendo like every 2 months a year with some smaller game dedicated directs in-between those 2 months. compare to MS and Sony where they dump everything at E3 and take the rest of the year off leading their to fans desperate to look for things like hirings/ studio purchases everyday for games that won't be out for another 4 years

doagrl

Nov 1, 2017
USA
ARMS did well for new IP but is it enough for Nintendo to occupy one of their major internal studios to work on a sequel? There are so many IPs they could work on instead. I don't see ARMS 2 happening on Switch.

I am sure there are a lot of people that would like to play MK but rather save their money for the new entry. A MK 9 could sell considerably more than MK8D will do if a new entry isn't released. And I d expect them to use pretty much the same engine so they can save some effort / resources there. Business wise a MK9 makes a lot of sense. Imo supporting MK8D also makes a lot of sense. What won't make sense is doing neither of the above. If we don't get some kind of MK8D extra stuff soon then I could see MK9 revealed next year. What I don't like is Nintendo remaining completely silent so they can push sales of MK8D as much as they can and then release MK9 and have owner of deluxe buying the new entry. But it seems that this is exactly what will happen.

The majority of people who own a Switch never owned a Wii U and to those people and all of the new people who are going to pick up a Switch going forward MK8D is the new Mario Kart entry. I really don't see a reason for Nintendo to use their resources to develop a new Mario Kart which will likely be just a MK8D clone with few (if any) real gameplay improvements. That manpower should instead be used for dlc packs for MK8D and ARMS 2 which is a good new IP that needs a sequel to build on the 2 million in sales that it has already achieved.

When ARMS first launched I picked it up but it was just so barren that I didn't play it for over a year. I recently started playing through a lot of my games that I hadn't spent much time with and I was shocked at the changes that have been made so far but really it doesn't go far enough. The multiplayer is good and party crashes are great but the game needs a story mode badly. A story mode to flesh out the universe, add more fighters & more collectables and even out the rough spots in the lore should be the priorities for ARMS 2. If Nintendo handles that property right they could push ARMS to Splatoon status.

nikatapi

Jan 11, 2018
If anything, a DLC for MK would be welcome.
I'd love to have some added courses, since i had already played most of the stuff on WiiU.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm I wonder if Platinum is making a new F-Zero game and it'll be announced by E3 2019...

New ip. kamiya

I never liked F-Zero

But gimme a captain falcon action game damn it

Also I don't know wtf nintendo did but MK8D needs a patch. So much connection errors in that game when trying to join a lobby.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The majority of people who own a Switch never owned a Wii U and to those people and all of the new people who are going to pick up a Switch going forward MK8D is the new Mario Kart entry. I really don't see a reason for Nintendo to use their resources to develop a new Mario Kart which will likely be just a MK8D clone with few (if any) real gameplay improvements. That manpower should instead be used for dlc packs for MK8D and ARMS 2 which is a good new IP that needs a sequel to build on the 2 million in sales that it has already achieved.

When ARMS first launched I picked it up but it was just so barren that I didn't play it for over a year. I recently started playing through a lot of my games that I hadn't spent much time with and I was shocked at the changes that have been made so far but really it doesn't go far enough. The multiplayer is good and party crashes are great but the game needs a story mode badly. A story mode to flesh out the universe, add more fighters & more collectables and even out the rough spots in the lore should be the priorities for ARMS 2. If Nintendo handles that property right they could push ARMS to Splatoon status.
While I do believe that we'll get an ARMS sequel eventually, it may be better saved for the next system.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I assume that, to a certain extent, a lot of projects must must have suffered from a severe lack of manpower at EPD, especially during the development of Breath of the Wild. Some directors such as Masataka Takemoto (NSMBU) or Yuji Kando (Pikmin 3) haven't worked in that capacity in years and didn't move on to producer roles either. And I think we know from Miyamoto that they've been struggling to assemble a team for Pikmin 4 in particular. It might explain the excessive amount of Wii U ports on the system.
The excessive amount of 3 Wii U ports from EPD? If we include Retro we're at 4 spread out evenly across two years. How is that excessive?

No idea what happened to FE, maybe the fact that it's their first HD game and also that they seem to innovating the formula, had to do with it. Yoshi on the other hand looked significantly reworked in the last trailer. So yeah delays can happen and it's usually for a good reason.
Their first HD game was Paper Mario Color Splash (and Pushmo World) over two years ago.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The excessive amount of 3 Wii U ports from EPD? If we include Retro we're at 4 spread out evenly across two years. How is that excessive?

No, ports of Nintendo-published/licensed games, 8 in the system's first two years. There was clearly a push to get various Wii U games with sales potential out on Switch, in part to make up for Nintendo's inability to fill the holes in their lineup with new software. It's excessive in the sense that it's a lot compared to the last time they released two systems with a hardware gap this close back to back. Unless you count Twilight Princess, it took like two years for a Nintendo-published GC port to appear on Wii. Times have changed, I guess.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
No, ports of Nintendo-published/licensed games, 8 in the system's first two years. There was clearly a push to get various Wii U games with sales potential out on Switch, in part to make up for Nintendo's inability to fill the holes in their lineup with new software. It's excessive in the sense that it's a lot compared to the last time they released two systems with a hardware gap this close back to back. Unless you count Twilight Princess, it took like two years for a Nintendo-published GC port to appear on Wii. Times have changed, I guess.
I count six when including published stuff (both Bayos). I'm struggling to come up with the missing two?!

(MK8D, DKCTF, CTTT, NSMBUDX, Bayo1+2)

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No idea what happened to FE, maybe the fact that it's their first HD game and also that they seem to innovating the formula, had to do with it. Yoshi on the other hand looked significantly reworked in the last trailer. So yeah delays can happen and it's usually for a good reason.

Animal Crossing is a pretty straightforward game I believe and also an import title to 2019 line up so I hardly see it getting delayed. For Luigi's Mansion though, I hope they really get their time to give us a great game and not just another sequel that's just "ok". Both Luigi and us deserve so.
I'm going to assume making massive 100+ hour RPGs in HD is harder than we thought. Look at Persona 5. Game still looked kind of rough at E3 so I'm hoping they have more time to polish it.

Also side note: the name is awful.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
If a Mario Kart DLC gets announced, and if the Splatoon updates continue after December, then yes, they will probably keep these 2 entries for the rest of the current Switch life, with the sequels being maybe cross gens between the potential Switch "pro" and its successor around 2023 (if they indeed go the iterative way). So far, neither Mario Kart nor Mario Odyssey have received any significant content update on Switch, hence why I believe they are working on sequels for both (I guess we now all agree about Mario Odyssey at least). Regarding Splatoon, it should be compared with other online shooters: those last for years because they receive a constant stream of new content. A game like Warframe (admittedly, on a F2P basis) is a totally different game than what released years ago. Games like Overwatch or Rocket League stay relevant as GaaS with regular updates as well. I could go on and on. Splatoon had an incredible year and half, probably my favorite game in the past 20 years. But Nintendo announcing ahead that it has an expiration date only makes sense if they intend to release a sequel; if they wanted to keep Splatoon 2 for the rest of the Switch's life, they would not have said anything, and just gradually reduce the amount of content they add to the game instead of abruptly stopping it. After 1 years, or more, without new content, do you think that the game will stay fully relevant on platforms like twitch or youtube? I personally doubt it. If a spin-off releases, it will surely sell gangbusters, but I doubt it will help revive the interest in a the mainline game which will effectively be dead. I'm betting for a Splatoon 3 reveal around the time the Switch pro releases, and a release of the game either for winter 2019 (too early I think) or summer 2020 (most likely scenario in my opinion).

And for the record, I would personally prefer that they continue updating Splatoon 2 for the next few years, and work on a different IP in the meantime.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I count six when including published stuff (both Bayos). I'm struggling to come up with the missing two?!

(MK8D, DKCTF, CTTT, NSMBUDX, Bayo1+2)

pokken, hyrule warriors

Yeah. Maybe "excessive" was the wrong word. It wasn't necessarily meant as a negative. I am just curious if Nintendo will be able to keep up the same level of output once they "run out" of viable ports.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Mario Kart 8 should get some interesting DLC around the time Mario Kart Tour is released. No MK9, keep that for Switch 2.

I want them to make some new IP, or at least some new versions of existing IP (2D Zelda, a GOOD paper mario, Advance War eShop title)

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see MK8 getting DLC at all at this point nor do I see the team making Arms 2 over Mario Kart 9. If MK8 DLC exists we would've heard about it between prelaunch to six months after release.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart 8 should get some interesting DLC around the time Mario Kart Tour is released. No MK9, keep that for Switch 2.

I want them to make some new IP, or at least some new versions of existing IP (2D Zelda, a GOOD paper mario, Advance War eShop title)
Well the Mario Kart team has to make something. Idk who exactly is working on MK Tour. Maybe some of them. You'd think the Mario Kart team has another game coming to Switch.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well the Mario Kart team has to make something. Idk who exactly is working on MK Tour. Maybe some of them. You'd think the Mario Kart team has another game coming to Switch.
If it's anything like past mobile titles, it'll be a few core people at Nintendo overseeing it but primarily developed by DeNA. The mobile stuff never impedes on their console stuff.

MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 9 isn't coming any time soon. That team is likely working on other things alongside Mario Kart Tour.

If it's anything like past mobile titles, it'll be a few core people at Nintendo overseeing it but primarily developed by DeNA. The mobile stuff never impedes on their console stuff.

This is a misconception. Nintendo is the primary developer of their mobile titles. DeNA assists them with mobile specific insights such as business model and network.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 9 isn't coming any time soon. That team is likely working on other things alongside Mario Kart Tour.

This is a misconception. Nintendo is the primary developer of their mobile titles. DeNA assists them with mobile specific insights such as business model and network.
IIRC DeNA mostly did the programming for Super Mario Run and I assume all their other games. They didn't partner with Nintendo to act as advisors.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart team is making something else for Switch. It won't be MK8D and ARMS only. Either you think it's ARMS 2, MK9 or a new IP.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018

Yeah, iirc, Pocket Camp is mostly EPD/Ndcube (?) and FEH is mostly IS developed.

Mario Kart team is making something else for Switch. It won't be MK8D and ARMS only. Either you think it's ARMS 2, MK9 or a new IP.

It could be a Nintendogs sequel.

I think they're working on ARMS 2 + Mario Kart Tour

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Like others have said, that isn't true. Pocket camp for example is a combination of Nintendo EPD + NDCube + DeNa (source). Fire Emblem was Intelligent System + Nintendo EPD + DeNa (source).

It is assumed that DeNa does the services/accounts/network/server side of things, while the actual development and certainly direction stays with the core teams.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like others have said, that isn't true. Pocket camp for example is a combination of Nintendo EPD + NDCube + DeNa (source). Fire Emblem was Intelligent System + Nintendo EPD + DeNa (source).

It is assumed that DeNa does the services/accounts/network/server side of things, while the actual development and certainly direction stays with the core teams.
Ok I get it, and wish I knew this sooner.

Still my point stands, mobile development never impedes console development.

Also we're not getting Arms 2 this gen. Maybe possibly at all.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yabuki is probably working on MK Tour and MK9 right now. I don't see ARMS getting a sequel, unfortunately

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
The only logical Mario Kart game for the Switch that can coincide with MK8Deluxe should be a Double Dash!! sequel.

The possibility of 8-player co-op multiplayer is making me salivate. And it's time to bring back those special items.

doagrl

Nov 1, 2017
USA
While I do believe that we'll get an ARMS sequel eventually, it may be better saved for the next system.

That feels like a lot of momentum would be wasted and the series would end up starting from scratch. I understand keeping certain franchises as one per system (Kart, Smash, 3D Mario & maybe Splatoon) but ARMS really needs to build a fanbase right now and waiting 4 or 5 years for a sequel could permanently kill the franchise.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I see a ARMS sequel happening on the Switch. Don't think they'll wait for Switch 2 or whatever it may be.

I find the whole design of ARMS to be so tied to the Joy-Cons I will lower my expectations of a sequel happening unless the next console has a similar control scheme.

I also wonder what will be the reach of the next game since it won't have the 'novelty' factor anymore. I don't think the overall reception to the game was enough to create a dedicated following. People severely underestimate ARMS success - a new fighting IP surpassing 2 million units. Still, I do question whether it created a lasting impression strong enough to push for more games.

Regardless, with Nintendo it sometimes boils down to having people in the company who push for the franchise. From the interviews the developers seemed to have a great deal of fun with the game so we never know.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no world in which ARMS does not get a sequel at some point.

edit: at some point = not limited to Switch
I'm just saying. It didn't even sell as well as Splatoon 1 on the Wii U while MK8 is the highest selling game on Wii U and the second highest selling game on Switch. I would bet there's more demand for a new Mario Kart game than a new Arms game (sorry Arms fans).

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that this thread is struggling to have an exciting conversation. Seems the hype is low compared to the SONY and Micro activity. Am I wrong? Is it that the outlook is bleak/boring?

You could update the OP to generate some conversation as well. A complete thread for Square Enix was made in less than one month and this one is to be completed for months and months.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just saying. It didn't even sell as well as Splatoon 1 on the Wii U while MK8 is the highest selling game on Wii U and the second highest selling game on Switch. I would bet there's more demand for a new Mario Kart game than a new Arms game (sorry Arms fans).
There is more demand for a new Mario Kart than almost any other Nintendo game, because it's Mario Kart. Doesn't mean the team wont ever work on anything else.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yeah, this thread only will go again when some news comes so maybe in december in TGA and of course, in beginning of 2019 with a new direct. Nintendo and all of it's related companies are secretive and the news mostly comes from direct and some events so the discussion only comes on those times.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is more demand for a new Mario Kart than almost any other Nintendo game, because it's Mario Kart. Doesn't mean the team wont ever work on anything else.
It means their priorities are going to be a certain way. If they need another system seller for Spring 2020 for example, chances are it's going to be Mario Kart and not Arms.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart is an interesting one because it's not an original game, which makes this completely new territory for the series.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
You could update the OP to generate some conversation as well. A complete thread for Square Enix was made in less than one month and this one is to be completed for months and months.
I'm thinking more of holding it in for now. The speed of this thread isn't like the Super Smash Bros Ultimate thread, where just one tiny thing will spawn in 4 or 5 pages of posts.

Update: Okay, this is something we CAN discuss:

https://www.resetera.com/posts/13985075/

This is the FY1/2019 financial results from Nintendo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.