• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
I'd personally rather have Nintendo condense the hypothetical November direct and probable January direct to make something more potent and not stretch themselves out too thin with meaningful announcements. The game awards will hold everyone over plenty, I'm sure. We don't need a direct for the rest of the year.

Just have one bigger January direct.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I feel like spinoffs should be reserved to successful series that get moderately frequent releases like Zelda, Mario and Pokémon. I don't see the point of having a spinoff for a series that hasn't seen a mainline release in over a decade but maybe that's just me.
See I think Captain Falcon eclipses his series. F-Zero is dead in the water but C.Falcon is incredibly well-known. I think it'd be way more successful than a proper F-Zero ever could be.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty much exactly what I'm hoping for and why it's so exciting to think about. Having Star Fox races in space through planets or landing on planets to do another part of a race sounds epic as hell.

The Diddy Kong Racing Adventure Mode has me more intrigued. That game released like 20 some years ago and to think what Retro could do with that idea 20 some years later...Retro is gold for me.
Yeah. Ever since that rumour, I have high hopes for what this game could turn out to be - especially considering how long it's been in development.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Was LeakyPandy right for once?

Pretty sure this is not the first time this has been rumored.

Yes. Emily is the only Nintendo insider who gives us hints here. King Zell will too and they're both good. Everyone else seems to have jump ship.

Not surprising considering how insiders have been treated by folks on here and previously on GAF. That Smash thread was certainly a big reminder that people are really shitty to those that offer inside info.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Yes. Emily is the only Nintendo insider who gives us hints here. King Zell will too and they're both good. Everyone else seems to have jump ship.
Usually NateDrake, Matt, even John Harker will give some teases. Though the former two usually wait until very close to the event to make those teases

I also personally think in terms of inside information, people don't give Liam enough credit

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd personally rather have Nintendo condense the hypothetical November direct and probable January direct to make something more potent and not stretch themselves out too thin with meaningful announcements. The game awards will hold everyone over plenty, I'm sure. We don't need a direct for the rest of the year.

Just have one bigger January direct.

I really think the only possible direct we get this month is a Mario Kart Tour Direct. It makes sense in that they wouldn't put their mobile title in a general direct, but of course they could do a Mario Kart Tour Direct anytime before Q1 2019 ends.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Let's Go, Ridley!
Meteoid Let's Go, Kraid!
they'll come with starlink-style real life toys you can use to customize samus's ship
starlink-battle-for-a2of2x.jpg

Yeah. Ever since that rumour, I have high hopes for what this game could turn out to be - especially considering how long it's been in development.
i have very high hopes for that game too, i just hope it doesn't end up being "just" a racer. that would be the worst case scenario imo, i need a lengthy and well-made story/single-player mode.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
I really think the only possible direct we get this month is a Mario Kart Tour Direct. It makes sense in that they wouldn't put their mobile title in a general direct, but of course they could do a Mario Kart Tour Direct anytime before Q1 2019 ends.
Maybe. Also plans change so they could have originally planned a November direct, but decided to shift things around for one reason or another. But we'll see. The only realistic timeframe for a direct this month is the 28-29th

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure this is not the first time this has been rumored.

Not surprising considering how insiders have been treated by folks on here and previously on GAF. That Smash thread was certainly a big reminder that people are really shitty to those that offer inside info.

Boy that Smash Grinch thread was sure fun...and just in general how these people acted against insiders because the insiders wouldn't say what they wanted to hear. You have all these insiders and media telling you to lower your expectations for a reason. They obviously know something you don't so listen and stop being an immature person.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

The rumor is that they fucked up the development of an ambitious project and started panic-developing a Star Fox racing game in 2016. I'm being deliberately hyperbolic but you get the idea. If the rumor is true (and let's remember is still just a rumor), the game hasn't been in development for more than 2 years.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018

We can't be too sure how long it's been in development. They definitely haven't been working on this project since 2014. They were suspected of another project that hasn't gone so well in development and they could have shifted over to Starfox in 2016, who knows. That would only give them almost 3 years so far if they started literally as early as possible in January 2016. But of course this is just speculation. I'm only going by the original rumors earlier this year about Retro

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We know Retro started developing a new game at the end of 2013. This was confirmed by them. On LinkedIn one of the employees put they were working on an "exploratory project for several years". After that they "moved on to another project and it was a secret"

That first project we can assume this employee moved on from the exploratory project around 2016.

We had Kotaku, I believe, say Retro was working on a project that "might be" potentially canned. Key words "might be", but they don't know and they said Retro is making Star Fox Grand Prix. If it lines up with the employee who could've been on the project Kotaku is talking about tells me they started Star Fox in 2016. I'm thinking middle of the year, but who knows.

Star Fox is supposed come out in 2019 according to the insiders and that would give it 3 years of development. That's plenty of time to develop a Star Fox racing game with an adventure mode.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm sure SF Grand Prix prolly didn't start development until sometime after Zero was released. It would be rather odd if Retro started working on their own Star Fox game while one was already in development at that time by EPD/Platinum.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd argue that this would be less of a spinoff and more of a Kid Icarus Uprising-esque revival

Solid point. I'd argue that the gameplay of F-Zero is more established at this point whereas the transition to 3D gave Sakurai a "free pass" to do whatever he wanted. But I can see where you're coming from.

See I think Captain Falcon eclipses his series. F-Zero is dead in the water but C.Falcon is incredibly well-known. I think it'd be way more successful than a proper F-Zero ever could be.

I am not 100% opposed to a Captain Falcon action-game. It could be pretty cool. I just think it should come second in their list of priorities, after reviving the series with a racing game.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The rumor is that they fucked up the development of an ambitious project and started panic-developing a Star Fox racing game in 2016. I'm being deliberately hyperbolic but you get the idea. If the rumor is true (and let's remember is still just a rumor), the game hasn't been in development for more than 2 years.

We can't be too sure how long it's been in development. They definitely haven't been working on this project since 2014. They were suspected of another project that hasn't gone so well in development and they could have shifted over to Starfox in 2016, who knows. That would only give them almost 3 years so far if they started literally as early as possible in January 2016. But of course this is just speculation. I'm only going by the original rumors earlier this year about Retro
Oh.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the "might be cancelled" game is probably the exploratory project. hence the "might be" as it was probably never properly greenlit

Oct 26, 2017
Solid point. I'd argue that the gameplay of F-Zero is more established at this point whereas the transition to 3D gave Sakurai a "free pass" to do whatever he wanted. But I can see where you're coming from.
Well I definitely don't disagree with that. But I suppose, with Captain Falcon being more famous and popular than the series he comes from, taking a bit of liberty with him being the "Falcon Punch guy" might draw more eyes than another F Zero game, especially when the last one was over a decade ago. Now, I think another F Zero would be awesome and should, at the very least, not be passed over in favor of an action game. This is all hypothetical but I can't help but feel that maybe there isn't much of a market for a game like F Zero. I mean, we don't exactly see Wipeout these days, do we?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it is unfortunate that whatever else Retro was working on seemingly fell through. I mean the studio has made several attempts at a new IP now, and not managed to make it happen. Hopefully they get another chance some day.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We never got any hint that the project that got cancelled was "ambitious" or even particularly far in development. We just know that there's one thing that was in dev at some point and got cancelled.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it is unfortunate that whatever else Retro was working on seemingly fell through. I mean the studio has made several attempts at a new IP now, and not managed to make it happen. Hopefully they get another chance some day.
We never got any hint that the project that got cancelled was "ambitious" or even particularly far in development. We just know that there's one thing that was in dev at some point and got cancelled.
whatever it was (if it was actually good and worth exploring) it could always resurface later.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The LinkedIn employee even put on their profile an internal project after Metroid Prime 3, but was never greenlit.
aye, it's hard to trump up a "failing project" or however people want to put it if the game was never greenlit. I doubt there was much even made at that point outside of a proof of concept and art pieces. that said, I don't doubt there's a canned project somewhere in the bowels of Retro, but we have too little info to work off of for a hypothetical third project

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We'll see. It could've been something put to the side to finish Star Fox. Maybe some important people left who were needed for the other game. Nobody knows if it's canceled which is a good thing.

aye, it's hard to trump up a "failing project" or however people want to put it if the game was never greenlit. I doubt there was much even made at that point outside of a proof of concept and art pieces. that said, I don't doubt there's a canned project somewhere in the bowels of Retro, but we have too little info to work off of for a hypothetical third project

I just found it interesting this person put they had an internal project that was never greenlit on their profile.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many announcements do you guys think Nintendo will make at the Game Awards? Last year we got 3- Bayonetta 1 + 2 for Switch, Bayonetta 3 for Switch and Zelda DLC dropping that night.

You think we'll get another 3 or less announcements?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many announcements do you guys think Nintendo will make at the Game Awards? Last year we got 3- Bayonetta 1 + 2 for Switch, Bayonetta 3 for Switch and Zelda DLC dropping that night.

my guesses:
a decent trailer for bayo 3 OR metroid. i don't see both happening.
an unexpected third party collaboration/exclusive game (like the stuff they've done with ubi) OR an unexpected older game coming to switch (GTA V maybe? or overwatch, something big like that)
i also imagine if wolfenstein youngblood gets a new trailer at the show, that'll be when the switch version gets officially announced

i don't imagine they have anything dlc-wise that would be very hype for an award show like that. there's nothing this year that's like botw was last year.

my super random, completely baseless guess for the third party collaboration is a collaboration with bethesda on something eternal darkness related, developed by tango gameworks.

Last edited:

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia

I'm wishing 3, my bets:

* Bayonetta 3 o Metroid Prime 4 trailer
* Mario Odissey DLC or Metroid Prime Trilogy (if previous is MP4)
* Smash DLC

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018

1- Bayonetta 3 / ~3m gameplay trailer / summer 2019
2- Metroid Prime Trilogy HD / february 2019
3- Metroid Prime 4 / ~1m30 gameplay trailer, Bandai Namco confirmed and final name (no "4") / 2019

Probably too soon for Smash DLC and Retro's game will be revealed at e3. The Game Awards WP will be great for gamers.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my guesses:
a decent trailer for bayo 3 OR metroid. i don't see both happening.
an unexpected third party collaboration/exclusive game (like the stuff they've done with ubi) OR an unexpected older game coming to switch (GTA V maybe? or overwatch, something big like that)
i also imagine if wolfenstein youngblood gets a new trailer at the show, that'll be when the switch version gets officially announced

i don't imagine they have anything dlc-wise that would be very hype for an award show like that. there's nothing this year that's like botw was last year.

my super random, completely baseless guess for the third party collaboration is a collaboration with bethesda on something eternal darkness related, developed by tango gameworks.

So you've got like 4 things happening. The DLC I agree with especially if Sakurai said they just finished it. I don't see them having any gameplay trailer ready for a DLC Fighter.

I'm wishing 3, my bets:

* Bayonetta 3 o Metroid Prime 4 trailer
* Mario Odissey DLC or Metroid Prime Trilogy (if previous is MP4)
* Smash DLC

I'm not sure about the Smash DLC anymore. It feels too early. I guess they could show a picture of the character, but it feels kind of lame at an event like this.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
far too early for smash dlc of any kind. the only announcement at this point regarding smash dlc would be to reveal one of the characters, and the awards are the same day as the game's launch. that seems like a bad idea tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.