• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be willing to get the new Smash if it includes Bayonetta. I have the Wii U version but I've barely touched it, much less bought any DLC.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
A Smash port that included all the 3DS stuff but now in pretty HD would actually be something, unlike all the Hyrule Warriors 3DS stuff that was already available on Wii U anyway through DLC but they made it out to be a big deal for the Switch one.
the Switch version of HW also includes the handful of 3DS content that wasn't available on Wii U, though

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man this rumour really bums me out. NSMB U is almost 6 years old and Smash 4 is almost 4 years old. I was excited to see how a new fresh approach to these franchises would look like, especially now with Super Mario Run introducing different playable characters. A port would probably mean minimal additions due to smaller teams working on it and no new entries for a long time. The hope of Daisy in Smash Bros. is glowing dim...

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man this rumour really bums me out. NSMB U is almost 6 years old and Smash 4 is almost 4 years old. I was excited to see how a new fresh approach to these franchises would look like, especially now with Super Mario Run introducing different playable characters. A port would probably mean minimal additions due to smaller teams working on it and no new entries for a long time. The hope of Daisy in Smash Bros. is glowing dim...
Maybe Daisy can be playable in NSMB.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
So the nintendo IR page has listed NSMBU as the 2nd best selling game on the Wii U. And if you go back to the Wii data, NSMBW was the 4th best selling title on that console.

I think that should tell you a lot about if they want that style of game to come back or not.

I don't know if it will be a straight port or a new game, but a game in that style is kind of a slam dunk sales wise.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to be positive here, but yeah most like it's U + LU.

On another not does anyone know how big Camelot is? I know they make the Mario sports games and Golden Sun. I wondered if they could make a new Golden Sun.

Last number is 42 from 2010. I don't think it's realistic to expect an RPG from them. IIRC, they lost a lot of the old staff that worked on Golden Sun.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to be positive here, but yeah most like it's U + LU.

On another not does anyone know how big Camelot is? I know they make the Mario sports games and Golden Sun. I wondered if they could make a new Golden Sun.

Camelot is a rather small team. It's a family business too. They make good games but you can kind of see that HD development was difficult for them in Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. Thankfully they are stepping their game up significantly for Mario Tennis Aces.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Hypothetically, wold you assume Pokken DX levels of new content or MK8 Deluxe levels.

all those 3DS assets would have to be reauthored, but they've since had enough time for that. if anything I'm hoping they touch up the visuals. it was nice that they pushed for 1080p on the Wii U, but the game looked underwhelming to me. hope they give it a better lighting pass for the Switch version

Yeah, I'm expecting Smash Bros to have a significant amount of new content. My expectations: New stages, new playable characters, possibly returning characters. Maybe we'll see some stages from the 3DS version recreated in HD.

I don't think Smash Bros will be a straight simple port. They will probably position this as the "Ultimate version of Smash Bros". Anyways, we won't have to wait too long to hear about it.

At the bare minimum, it will at least be around Mario Kart 8 Deluxe levels of new content.

MK8 Deluxe was not exactly a slouch in the content department: All of the Wii U DLC + 7 brand new playable characters + Brand New Battle Mode + Eight Switch exclusive new battle tracks.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Smash Bros will be a straight simple port. They will probably position this as the "Ultimate version of Smash Bros". Anyways, we won't have to wait too long to hear about it.

Woahhh. Ems what are you saying to my heart?!? Are you saying a Nintendo Direct might be coming soon? Don't leave me hanging.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm expecting Smash Bros to have a significant amount of new content. My expectations: New stages, new playable characters, possibly returning characters. Maybe we'll see some stages from the 3DS version recreated in HD.

At the bare minimum, it will at least be around Mario Kart 8 Deluxe levels of new content.

MK8 Deluxe was not exactly a slouch in the content department: All of the Wii U DLC + 7 brand new playable characters + Brand New Battle Mode + Eight Switch exclusive new battle tracks.

Mario Kart 8 also had a ton of blance
tweaks that made the game feel fairer and more fun to play than the original game.

But on the other hand, there was only one new amiibo suit...man that still bums me out. I'm worried that Smash Bros won't add much besides a few popular characters like Inkling and make balance changes to "overpowered" characters that make them less fun to play as. There's also the issue of how the new characters would be intergrated to the game. Smash 4 DLC characters did not have custom moves, and characters introduced to 8 Deluxe had no new voice clips and less animations than the original cast.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Man I've always been one to defend these Switch Wii U ports and not understand why people complain about them. All of the announced and released ones so far were great ideas and nowhere near enough people played them on Wii U so it has seemed like a no brainer. I have Mario Kart 8 Deluxe despite having it on Wii U, and will be buying Bayonetta 1&2, Hyrule Warriors, Tropical Freeze and several more. But NSMBU may be the first one I question, if it happens. It's simply not good enough to be worth porting and a new 2D Mario should have been easily achievable by this year. If they do it it should be a £15 digital download at most. Or New Super Mario All Stars if it's a retail version. Packaging NSMBU+Luigi on disc for full price would be Nintendo shitting in our faces and calling it fine gravy.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well then. If this new Smash Deluxe port is coming then I'll guess I'll wait to see the entire roster before buying this time. I foolishly bought all the Smash DLC because I wanted a complete roster, and I got burned at the end. I wonder if they'll take suggestions from the Ballot that happened a few years ago.

Best case scenario would be if DLC characters got custom moves, Miis were allowed online, a good handful of characters including Daisy and the two ARMS characters, and HD 3DS stages and a better online system.

Worst case scenario: Inklings, K.Rool, ARMS, no new custom moves, Daisy still being three trophies...

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
If smash is the July title, they probably announce it in a spring direct.

They won't hold onto every single announcement they have until E3. And need some time for the hype cycle to start, and more people to be aware of it.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I think if NSMB port thing is true (and this is repeating myself, sorry) that the next new 2D Mario game will be SMM2 and they wanted to get a NSMB in early on the system (as they should) too. Either that or the 2D Mario staff is working on a new IP, possibly "new ways to play" to boot, and, again, they still wanted a NSMB game early on the system.

I just wonder a) what that staff is working on, b) when whatever it is is coming, and c) what sort of space a hypothetical NSMB port would be hypothetically taking up in the release schedule.

It is a big game and it is going to be largely new to the audience, like the other Wii U ports.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Smash is a significant port.

The Zelda characters ALL need a redesign to either Hyrule Warriors or BotW. The Twilight Princess designs are outdated at this point, even Smash 4 3DS/U should've used the SS ones.

There needs to be significant BotW and Odyssey representation. Same with Splatoon, ARMS. Hell, Samus Returns should get a stage too.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The Zelda characters ALL need a redesign to either Hyrule Warriors or BotW.

There needs to be significant BotW and Odyssey representation. Same with Splatoon, ARMS. Hell, Samus Returns should get a stage too.

I don't know what Odyssey would get if there was just a port. New music would be nice. Maybe a stage based on New Donk City featuring a background Pauline singing?

Tsukinopio

Banned
Dec 2, 2017

The Zelda characters ALL need a redesign to either Hyrule Warriors or BotW. The Twilight Princess designs are outdated at this point, even Smash 4 3DS/U should've used the SS ones.

If we don't get a Tropical Freeze stage, I'm boycotting the game. Ideally we'll also get Dixie and K. Rool—I'd argue that the latter is more likely due to his strong ballot performance—but a Tropical Freeze stage is a must.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm happy Pokkén showed ports can have DLC too. I would gladly jump in some Mario Kart or Smash DLC.
Regarding Smash, 4.5 is the way to go. Advertise it as a new game, and add enough new content to justify that (10+ charcters seems doable to me).
Keep engine and gameplay intact. Smash 4 was near perfection in that regard.

Bring back Snake.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
A Smash Bros 4 port wouldn't be bad at all. That is one I actually support. Tighten up the graphics, add new stages and new characters and add a decent story mode.

What else would a new Smash Bros game give you?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I also hope they hype the Smash port accordingly. Don't reveal all of the new characters or stages at once.

Smash hype is like nothing else, at least let us get a mini hype cycle out of it if we aren't getting a full one

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Considering Odyssey is about traveling around the globe, I'm thinking we're getting a Delfino Plaza or Mute City esque stage that flies around to all the different kingdoms.

Oct 26, 2017
Second half lineup then:

Probably:

Smash... Something
Yoshi
Fire Emblem
Labo 3+4

Maybe:

Maybe some 2D Mario port thing or something
Pokemon
Pikmin 4
Animal Crossing
Retro Studios

Hmm, hopefully Retro can actually release a video game this year and it comes out.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's a Wii U?

Anyway they need to rejig it a bit, like a name change, change/remove the touch screen stuff, maybe some new levels.
A system with a better Xenoblade game, but people won't tell you that :P

Y'all touched on something I forgot about. BotW absolutely needs representation. BotW Link and Zelda should play very different. I'm hoping for robotics nerd Zelda that utilizes the guardians and the divine beasts

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Y'all touched on something I forgot about. BotW absolutely needs representation. BotW Link and Zelda should play very different. I'm hoping for robotics nerd Zelda that utilizes the guardians and the divine beasts
Honestly, since Zelda uses the OoT magics in Smash still, it'd be cool if they replace them with the Champion Magics.

silby

Oct 27, 2017
Based only on my pure speculation I'd bet on Smash Switch having BotW reworks of Link and Zelda, an Odyssey rework of Mario, Inklings, an ARMS rep, and Rex, even with it being a "port" of the guts of Smash Wii U. Getting Smash out this early in the console's life would let them do things like a multi-year open-ended DLC schedule. Even cross-promotional day-and-date releases with other big Switch games. (Rex armor in BotW (which I still haven't gotten, hm) is the sort of thing we could see a bunch of. If not characters, then Mii costumes, trophies…)

(Also <3nerd zelda<3)

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Imagine if Retro Studios' next game doesn't come out this year.

>_>

Hopefully it's shown this year at least.

I honestly think it's gonna be a 2019 title, as their 1A holiday game next to Pokemon.

Yea it could be a different Link, instead of your typical clone. Down B would be a counter (Daruk), replace spin attack with a revalis gust for your up B, and have a charged lightning (gerudo) blast as your B.

Status
Not open for further replies.