• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Smash is long overdue. I think we will hear about it soon.

My main hope besides 3DS stuff is that they add a Subspace-like campaign mode. It would be really cool to see the caharacters interact with each other.

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Does Emily mean third party exclusives or ports for this year?

Tsukinopio

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Imagine if Retro Studios' next game doesn't come out this year.

>_>

Hopefully it's shown this year at least.
I don't care when it comes out as long as they reveal it soon. It's been almost five years since they revealed their last game. That's... ridiculous. My thinking is that if it was a new IP, they would have revealed it by now. If it's say, a 3D Donkey Kong game, they won't reveal it until after the Tropical Freeze port comes out, which is in May—curiously, one month before E3.

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly think it's gonna be a 2019 title, as their 1A holiday game next to Pokemon.

Yea it could be a different Link, instead of your typical clone. Down B would be a counter (Daruk), replace spin attack with a revalis gust for your up B, and have a charged lightning (gerudo) blast as your B.

Imagine if Retro's next game comes out after Prime 4 >_>

When a Retro made Prime 4 could have been done by late 2016 and released like mid 2017.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's what I expect:
-Great Plateau Stage
-New Donk City Stage
-Splatoon Stage
-Some (not all) 3DS stages
-BoTW costumes for Link and Zelda
-Splatoon rep
-(maybe) Arms rep + stage
-Ice Climbers
-Smash Run

Which honestly wouldn't be an insignificant amount of new content but it would still be the Wii U version at its base.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
What if Retro's game is a 3D DK "pirate" game....but you play as the Kremlins!

Like imagine you can play as a customizable Kremlin, and form a party or go solo to lead raids on DK country. You gotta get through hordes of other monkeys and the bosses you fight are DK and his crew.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last number is 42 from 2010. I don't think it's realistic to expect an RPG from them. IIRC, they lost a lot of the old staff that worked on Golden Sun.

Camelot is a rather small team. It's a family business too. They make good games but you can kind of see that HD development was difficult for them in Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. Thankfully they are stepping their game up significantly for Mario Tennis Aces.

I'm excited for Mario Tennis Aces. Maybe they could do some kind of remake of Golden Sun in the future.

Jan 11, 2018
I don't care when it comes out as long as they reveal it soon. It's been almost five years since they revealed their last game. That's... ridiculous. My thinking is that if it was a new IP, they would have revealed it by now. If it's say, a 3D Donkey Kong game, they won't reveal it until after the Tropical Freeze port comes out, which is in May—curiously, one month before E3.

It's crazy we're coming up on the 4 year anniversary of TF next month!

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
This may have been missed, from last night:

There is usually a news conference in conjunction with the earnings release. It ought to happen right now. Also, this has been confirmed for tomorrow:

Corporate Management Policy Briefing / Nine Months Financial Results Briefing
(for institutional investors and securities analysts)

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html

Considering the designation of the meeting I would expect some substantial news.

Should be about 7 hours from now

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Second half lineup then:

Probably:

Smash... Something
Yoshi
Fire Emblem
Labo 3+4

Maybe:

Maybe some 2D Mario port thing or something
Pokemon
Pikmin 4
Animal Crossing
Retro Studios

Hmm, hopefully Retro can actually release a video game this year and it comes out.

HD Animal Crossing Christmas makes me hyped through the roof. I love that season on the game. Still holding out hope it's happening this year.

Jan 11, 2018
My predictions (first party) for the second half of 2018 and into 2019.

2018:
Yoshi
Fire Emblem
Labo stuff
NSMB and/or Smash ports.
Pokemon Switch (I really think they are going to try to push to get it out this year)
Retro Studios game (I still think it's a new IP).

2019:
Bayonetta 3
Prime 4
Pikmin 4
Animal Crossing

etc.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
HOLY SHiT

ANIMAL CROSSING BEING REVEALED AT THE INVESTORS BREFING?

6 HOURS

Edit: old Amiibo, false alarm.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
LlAb6.gif

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty confident that this will not be a straight port, and there will be plenty of new content.

Anyways, I wonder if this is a "Hyrule Warriors" situation where they combine the Wii U + 3DS content together in the Switch version.

Hopefully they add the adventure/subspace modes from previous titles.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I know most people don't care about that or even actively dismiss it, but I hope the new Smash Bros comes with its own Capcom Tour of sorts and go big on the e-sport aspect. It doesn't have to be obnoxious, just go for the same vibe you get for the tournaments at E3, just regularily throughout the year. The Smash community is vibrant and getting bigger, and obviously Nintendo is thinking about it considering the way they introduced Splatoon during the Switch reveal...

NantenJex

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm late here but in regards to Smash Bros. I agree with Emily. I don't think we'll have a long turn-over period either, this will definitely be the shortest time from reveal to release so boy those will be some exciting weeks haha.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
If Smash is a port of 4 with additional content, then I expect it to release this year. In this case it won't have as much new content as a brand new release, meaning there's no need for a long announcement-to-launch period. If however it's a brand new game I don't expect it to launch this year since it's going to take them a while to announce all the new and returning characters.

Having said that I'm leaning towards the first option.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm late here but in regards to Smash Bros. I agree with Emily. I don't think we'll have a long turn-over period either, this will definitely be the shortest time from reveal to release so boy those will be some exciting weeks haha.

Only if we are going to get information everyday then I'm all in for Smash Hype Train once again!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be a short hype Smash hype cycle this time. There's nothing as good as the Smash hype cycle. It was so much fun with brawl and Smash 4. I watched Gamexplain go through all the pictures. I loved it.

NantenJex

Oct 25, 2017
If Smash is a port of 4 with additional content, then I expect it to release this year. In this case it won't have as much new content as a brand new release, meaning there's no need for a long announcement-to-launch period. If however it's a brand new game I don't expect it to launch this year since it's going to take them a while to announce all the new and returning characters.

Having said that I'm leaning towards the first option.

Not necessarily, the average Smash development cycle is 2 and a half years and by the end of this year, it will have been 2 and a half years since the DLC ended.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily, the average Smash development cycle is 2 and a half years and by the end of this year, it will have been 2 and a half years since the DLC ended.
You're right. What I mean is that, during the Wii U/3DS hype cycle, they spent a lot of time covering every aspect of the game since nearly everything was built from the ground-up. If it's a port, they won't have to go through all that content, all those modes again. They can instead focus on what's new, like new characters and stages. That should theoretically lead to a shorter hype cycle, even if the new content is substantial.

NantenJex

Oct 25, 2017
You're right. What I mean is that, during the Wii U/3DS hype cycle, they spent a lot of time covering every aspect of the game since nearly everything was built from the ground-up. If it's a port, they won't have to go through all that content, all those modes again. They can instead focus on what's new, like new characters and stages. That should theoretically lead to a shorter hype cycle, even if the new content is substantial.

Oh yeah, that is very true, although it could still be a new game and they just reveal more at once. Like imagine if the reveal trailer just revealed all the returning stuff from Smash For straight away (within reason) and then left the 5 month build-up to just focus on new stuff like Characters, stages, items, modes, etc

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, that is very true, although it could still be a new game and they just reveal more at once. Like imagine if the reveal trailer just revealed all the returning stuff from Smash For straight away (within reason) and then left the 5 month build-up to just focus on new stuff like Characters, stages, items, modes, etc
They could definitely do that. I just get the sense that they like to have a long build-up for Smash games since they can drop news about it frequently. It's an easy way to get fans excited. That's why I think it's more likely to be a port if it's coming out this year, but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.