• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I may be in the minority, but it's the first time that a hardware makes me buy games; the hybrid aspect is a huge deal for me, and I find myself buying games I would have ignored if they were on console or mobile only. Not just because I'm a grown-ass man with a busy life, but also because the idea itself of hybrid gaming makes it appealing to me.
Seeing the Switch software's sales, I may not be in a minority actually...

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I may be in the minority, but it's the first time that a hardware makes me buy games; the hybrid aspect is a huge deal for me, and I find myself buying games I would have ignored if they were on console or mobile only. Not just because I'm a grown-ass man with a busy life, but also because the idea itself of hybrid gaming makes it appealing to me.
I mainly play in docked and I feel the same way. The system is much more appealing than Wii U was.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
That software result and prediction are insane.
WiiU's LTD software is 102m, 3DS is at 365m.
Yeah, they'll need three or for heavy hitters to achieve that imo. Pokemon must be included for this.
I'd say Smash, Animal Crossing and NMBS(port) or a Mario Maker/2D mario + labo could do this, combined with strong evergreen sales from their current top sellers.

Pokemon and Smash will do it easily. Everything else is icing on the cake.
It's by no means easy. Pokemon at ~15m in a FY, smash at ~8-10m.
That's still a big gap to fill even if they each do 2 million more compared to previous entries.

To compare: Switch sold 69 million games in it's first 13 months (63 this FY). This includes a record breaking 3D Mario, Zelda and a port of it's behemot Mario Kart.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, people really like the system and form factor this time. This is boosting software sales a lot.

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are they seriously expecting to sell 20 million Switches between April 2018 and March 2019? That's optimistic. I don't see it happening. Possibly 10-12 million.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they'll need three or for heavy hitters to achieve that imo. Pokemon must be included for this.
I'd say Smash, Animal Crossing and NMBS(port) or a Mario Maker/2D mario + labo could do this, combined with strong evergreen sales from their current top sellers.

That's still a big gap to fill even if they each do 2 million more compared to previous entries.

To compare: Switch sold 69 million games in it's first 13 months (63 this FY). This includes a record breaking 3D Mario, Zelda and a port of it's behemot Mario Kart.

Keep downplaying how much games are selling. I don't get why you're discounting that.

Smash, Pokémon, 2D Mario and Animal Crossing would do it.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

I think it includes software from third parties too.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Are they seriously expecting to sell 20 million Switches between April 2018 and March 2019? That's optimistic. I don't see it happening. Possibly 10-12 million.
A console rarely declines like that in it's second/third year on the market. They do anything north of 16 million at the least.
But combined with their very bold 100m software forecast I'd say they are confident in selling 20 million. They must know they have a strong line-up to make this prediction.

I think it includes software from third parties too.
So does the 69 million they announced today (which includes the extra launch month).

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Keep downplaying how much games are selling. I don't get why you're discounting that.

Smash, Pokémon, 2D Mario and Animal Crossing would do it.
What am I downplaying? I even said Smash + pokemon + 2d mario + AC is a way I see it happening (and even going stronger depending on the hype/quality of the releases).

But saying that they would only need Pokemon + Smash for that is incorrect.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Switch sold 3 millions from January to March. Are you saying that Switch will sell LESS than that with Smash, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Octopath and probably Pokémon (+ various third parties)? It's ridiculous.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
100 mil doesn't seem achieaveable even with multiple versions of Pokemon and Fire Emblem. Maybe they have something big to announce soon?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That would mean they'd less on average every quarter than they did in Q1 of calendar year 2018. They'll easily sell the amount of consoles as last fiscal year even with the current slate imo, and games continue to be announced.

TrickyAssist

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
For clarification, do they mean 20 million lifetime sales or do they mean they want to sell another 20 million within the next 12 months?

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
For clarification, do they mean 20 million lifetime sales or do they mean they want to sell another 20 million within the next 12 months?
In the next 12 months ofcourse, ending around 38-40 million LTD.
They are currently at ~18million. They'll be at 24million (Gamecube LTD) somewhere this summer

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Switch sold 3 millions from January to March. Are you saying that Switch will sell LESS than that with Smash, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Octopath and probably Pokémon (+ various third parties)? It's ridiculous.
Not to mention all the other games that new Switch owners have already available to them. Kind of makes me envious to be jumping in now.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Aren't people from the last few posts confusing 2 things right now?
Reaching a total of 20M consoles vs. selling an additional 20M on top of what's already sold?

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would mean they'd less on average every quarter than they did in Q1 of calendar year 2018. They'll easily sell the amount of consoles as last fiscal year even with the current slate imo, and games continue to be announced.
We'll see. I honestly don't see it happening unless they have Pokemon coming this year, but even then I don't know.
Another 20 million on top of 17.79 million.

RoboBat

Nov 8, 2017
US
Are people just super hopeful for Animal Crossing or did I miss it being somehow casually confirmed?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reaching a total of 20M consoles vs. selling an additional 20M on top of what's already sold?
Why is this even a confusion? Are people seriously thinking the Switch will massively tank and sell only 3 million systems for the rest of its life?

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Imagine
>Nintendo Online on September boosted by Smash 5
then
>Pokemon Switch in November for Holiday Rush
Switch will slay any competition, riots will take the store, Tickle Elmo will be back from Hell to lead the masses into the malls

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
It will reach a total of 20m consoles probably some time in June.

This forecast is for additional sales for this fiscal year (April 2018 - March 2019). They are expecting to be at about 38m by this time next year.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hardware forecasts are as predicted, but that software forecast is strong- they'll have to have a lot in their locker to pull that one off.

TrickyAssist

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
In the next 12 months ofcourse, ending around 38-40 million LTD.
They are currently at ~18million. They'll be at 24million (Gamecube LTD) somewhere this summer

We'll see. I honestly don't see it happening unless they have Pokemon coming this year, but even then I don't know.

Another 20 million on top of 17.79 million.

Year, otherwise they would be planning yo sell only 2 million consoles in a year, which is not very ambitious

That's really something. With the current lineup, I can definitely see the Switch selling a lot more but 20 million? It's not impossible. I still think there's some big stuff coming out this year that we're not aware of. I was on the Pokemon Switch 2019 train but this changes my mind entirely.

Jan 11, 2018
That's a 33% increase in hardware and a whole 45% increase in software.

Ok I'm now on team #pokemon2018
I'm still not convinced. Not really because Pokémon wouldn't sell Switches, but because the Switch would be a hindrance to Pokémon sales at this point in its life time. The thing is still only available in a $300 SKU and Pokémon is a franchise primarily marketed to kids. And 2018 still sounds really early for a $200 Dock-less SKU.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
They want to ship 100 million copies of software from beginning of April to late March 2019? Oh yeah Pokémon confirmed for me coming this year. You're going to need big heavy hitters.

100M could mean something as simple as: each existing Switch user buys 2 new games on average and each new Switch user buys 3 games on average.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still not convinced. Not really because Pokémon wouldn't sell Switches, but because the Switch would be a hindrance to Pokémon sales at this point in its life time. The thing is still only available in a $300 SKU and Pokémon is a franchise primarily marketed to kids. And 2018 still sounds really early for a $200 Dock-less SKU.

What? Do you not see how everysingle nintendo game is selling? It's going to sell gangbusters no matter what.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
What am I downplaying? I even said Smash + pokemon + 2d mario + AC is a way I see it happening (and even going stronger depending on the hype/quality of the releases).

But saying that they would only need Pokemon + Smash for that is incorrect.
I think Smash, Pokemon, and 2D Mario (even if it's a port) would be enough.

I think small things can add up.
i.e.
2m DKTF
4m Aces
2m Octopath
1m Hyrule
2m more Kirby
3-4m FE
1m Toad
1m Crash
0.5m Sushi
3m Yoshi
2.5m (? localized) Yokai Watch

~22m

Maybe they'll get a CoD?
This would just be smaller games releasing this year. Not counting legs of old games or the huge hitters.
And not counting Digital only, or other 3rd parties

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Makes sense. 20M consoles and an average of 21/2 new games bought by each user seems reasonable. Especially with evergreen titles like Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Splatoon, Zelda already availiable for new buyers to be picking up in adition to this year's games.

Having Fire Emblem, Smash and either 2D Mario or Pokemon in the back half along with possibly Metroid and Bayonetta 3 early 2019 as more core/niche games that will generate console sales among niche buyers. it seems plausible.

Jan 11, 2018

i.e.
2m DKTF
4m Aces
2m Octopath
1m Hyrule
2m more Kirby
3-4m FE
1m Toad
1m Crash
0.5m Sushi
3m Yoshi
2.5m (? localized) Yokai Watch

~22m

Maybe they'll get a CoD?
This would just be smaller games releasing this year. Not counting legs of old games or the huge hitters.
And not counting Digital only, or other 3rd parties
Does the forecast/result for software include digital-only third party releases? Because I have a feeling it doesn't, seeing how well games like Steamworld Dig 2 and Celeste are performing on the Switch.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

It's possible, but it would need very good sales from some other titles. For example FE would need to double it's sales compared to Fates/Awakenings to get to your numbers in one FY.
That 100 million indicates (to me) they are very confident with their lineup and it's impact with either some very big sellers (Smash/Poke/AC/Mario imo) and/or have surprises we don't know about yet.

So while I agree it's possible, I don't think saying "it's easy" is correct.
Expecting record breaking sales for some your titles isn't business as usual and isn't easy, and kudos if they can pull it off.

Jan 11, 2018
Oct 30, 2017
Barcelona
You are not alone.
Hell, I'm double dipping on software I already bought for PC or Wii U.