• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
You're right in terms of likely huge system movers I suppose. I was mainly just rambling about there not being shit I want to play on Switch coming out this year (exclusives, don't give a crap about portability so I'll rarely buy a multiplat).

I was just hoping for some of:

Metroid Prime 4 (always unlikely this year)

Mario Maker port or sequel.

Animal Crossing.

I guess there's always whatever Retro has been working on, assuming it's not another Donkey Kong game as I don't like those.

But like I said, no skin off my nose as I've got plenty to play elsewhere and I'm used to having lean years of 0-2 games I want on Nintendo platforms for a long time now.
I figured that was the case, seemed like a bit of a stretch to knock the Switch lineup.

I mean, I'm not at all happy with the Switch lineup so far this year, but this forecast gives us no indication of what games may or may not make it out for the second half of the year.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
20M shipped confirmed . So their is a chance pokemon doesn't come this year and we have a slate of unannounced games as well.

I love that their is potentially so many different possibilities for this year that it's so hard to predict. Gonna be an exciting E3

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Nintendo would do a new Mario Kart on Switch this year when MK8D is still selling ridiculously well.

Smash Bros + Pokemon + Animal Crossing makes much more sense.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
This first half of 2018 has been a disgrace games wise...

I hope 2nd half lights it up with Pokemon/Smash/FireEmblem/Animal Crossing

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
But if you were a publisher who's making a download only game, wouldn't you want to know what kind of unit sales similar games are getting on that platform? If you're a publisher in general wouldn't you rather see a tie ratio of 6 than a tie ratio of 4?

Reporting the unit sales would likely make it seem more appealing to put more games on the platform, that's why it's strange that they don't report it

Mario Kart sells extremely high, but it's not necessarily the biggest system seller which is something more indicative of selling 20M in a year. Pokemon would push more hardware than Mario Kart, considering the current demographics of the system (males in their 20s -30s mostly).

You are not looking at the reports in the correct light though - they are not for publishers / devs - they are for investors / potential investors. If an investor saw an attach rate of say 6 instead of 4 without the corresponding increase in revenue & profit they would historically associate with such a number it reflects poorly and would warrant Nintendo to comment and explain. Clearly they think its easier to just not report it in units and stick with revenue because of this which makes sense.

I assume it will be other press releases / events that will highlight indie sales numbers instead of their financials

Pubs and to a lesser extent devs have there own data

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was my thought. No reason to believe that we're getting a new MK game on Switch this year. Though I certainly wouldn't scoff at DLC for MK8D!

I mean, they certainly could. It's been 4 years since MK8's original release and no doubt another's also been in development since then. And with no 'handheld version' to develop this time, we could've even gotten one by 2017 going by the pattern of a 3 year gap between releases.

ARMS seems to have been a relatively smaller affair and I wouldn't doubt that a notable amount of the team was still working on a new MK. A 2018 release of MK9 could certainly happen.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You are not looking at the reports in the correct light though - they are not for publishers / devs - they are for investors / potential investors. If an investor saw an attach rate of say 6 instead of 4 without the corresponding increase in revenue & profit they would historically associate with such a number it reflects poorly and would warrant Nintendo to comment and explain. Clearly they think its easier to just not report it in units and stick with revenue because of this which makes sense.

I assume it will be other press releases / events that will highlight indie sales numbers instead of their financials

Pubs and to a lesser extent devs have there own data

Hmmm yeah I guess this makes sense. It makes it hard for us to compare to previous platforms (where digital was less prevalent/nonexistent) but I guess Nintendo doesn't gain anything from us doing that!

ThanksVision

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we will see any more updates for MK8--it was released as 'Deluxe' for a reason. It's obviously still selling extremely well to this day; there is no need for an MK9 in the near future.

My most anticipated Switch game is Animal Crossing. It is time. Please drop late Summer.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm yeah I guess this makes sense. It makes it hard for us to compare to previous platforms (where digital was less prevalent/nonexistent) but I guess Nintendo doesn't gain anything from us doing that!

Yeh would be nice to know but we get little bits of info from devs themselves and will probably hear more from people like Reggie at random every now and again when there is a big success

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say this one is debatable at this point. The U version was bundled with the console and still barely beat Smash. Definitely possible though I think a different style 2D Mario would fare better.

Animal Crossing. New Leaf is close to 12m units sold.
Animal Crossing may get there but I don't think that's a bigger seller than Smash Brothers just yet. Smash sales were split across 2 platforms last time so it's hard to say for sure. Brawl still is above 13 million though.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
I doubt Nintendo would do a new Mario Kart on Switch this year when MK8D is still selling ridiculously well.

Smash Bros + Pokemon + Animal Crossing makes much more sense.

Agree with this.

Mario Kart is bigger than both Smash and Animal Crossing, it's in a completely different league. It did 8-9m on the fucking Wii U for CAhrist sake, and a port of that game is nearing 10m on the Switch.

A new Mario Kart on the Switch will be back in that 20m+ range that the DS, 3DS and Wii games were. They'll save it for another year.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Aren't they are expecting to sell 37m more software than the fiscal year which had the fabled 2017 line up?

That includes new owners buying those 2017 games though. They sell 20 million more Switches, that's going to move a lot of copies of BOTW, Odyssey, Splatoon 2, MK8D etc.

And of course a lot of their smaller titles sell 1-2 million as evidenced by Kirby, Fire Emblem Warriors etc. I was just noting that projection would seem to mean no new gen Pokemon type game as that would move a ton of units. As well as just not much likely for me personally since I really only like a handful of their biggest franchises at this point.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I may be in the minority, but it's the first time that a hardware makes me buy games; the hybrid aspect is a huge deal for me, and I find myself buying games I would have ignored if they were on console or mobile only.
The Switch is in the sweet spot for convenience and power; playing full-feature games like DOOM and BotW anywhere is appealing to a lot of people. I expect the Switch to upend the console market just like how laptops upended the desktop computer market a decade ago.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
with this kind of target, it's easy to say that Pokemon will be released this year.
There's JUST NO WAY for Nintendo to sell 100mi games and 20mi consoles without it's most successful franchise.

With Mario Tenis, Octopath, Yoshi, Crash, Dark Souls, Smash, Fire Emblem, Baynetta 3 and Pokemon in the next 10 months it's feasible.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Smash, Fire Emblem and Pokemon from JUST WWHA WE KNOW NOW. They will announce more on E3

And don't forget that February 2019 Splatoon 2 will still be top 5 on Japan xD

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Got roped in by Zelda/SMO, but have ended up hoovering up all the Indie goodness, games that were never on the radar before and have captivated my attention more than the first party offerings, I finished BotW first but SMO is playing second fiddle to all the others I've been downloading.

Very strange experience on a Nintendo console, but a very good one.

Funny thing is, most of the Indie releases on Switch are not even counted in the Sales numbers for Software. Only the ones with a Physical release are.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Funny thing is, most of the Indie releases on Switch are not even counted in the Sales numbers for Software. Only the ones with a Physical release are.
Nintendo really needs to change their accounting method. And they should make it retroactive so we can see the true attach rates for Wii, DS(i), 3DS and Wii U too.

NateSnacks

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Pokemon, Fortnite, GTA V, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, and Diablo III. Those titles alone.......

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
That includes new owners buying those 2017 games though. They sell 20 million more Switches, that's going to move a lot of copies of BOTW, Odyssey, Splatoon 2, MK8D etc.
While I fully expect those titles to continue having great legs, they won't be selling nearly fast enough to make up anywhere close to the bulk of that prediction. My understanding is that yearly sales are unlikely to measure to launch year's

That software number implies fresh heavy hitters. They will fall way short of that with just the 2017 legs and small titles IMO.

Same is true for hardware. While we see that Switch continues to sell great even with a lean release slate, NPD insiders have noted that the sales did fall a bit more than they expected. While the Switch is doing well at the moment, it has the capacity to do much better. While Switch could continue to do well with no heavy hitters other than Smash, it would likely be unable to do well enough to hit 20 million, which is a decently lofty expectation btw, not really conservative at all, at least as far as I'm aware.

You might just be underestimating the numbers here, although I can't pretend to be able to defy your reading authoritatively. More sales-savvy posters would be welcome to intervene and offer their insight on this issue.

Last edited:

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Just throwing some random guesstimated numbers around, this is my path to 100m software sold.

First lets look at already released Firstparty titles from last FY:

Zelda BOTW: should sell another 2 million at the very least this FY.
MK8DX: should sell another 5 million at the very least this FY.
Splatoon 2:should sell another 2 million at the very least(1million in japan alone, due to octodlc) this FY.
Mario Odyssey: should sell another 3 million at the very least this FY.
ARMS+XC2+12Switch: should sell 1.5 million at the very least combined this FY.
Kirby Star Allies: should sell another 1.5 million this FY alone, since it only got half a month in sales last FY.

Thats already 15 million in Software sales just from the Firstparty backlog, with if i dare say so quite modest estimates.

Then we have the first party titles that are announced for this FY:

LABO: that should sell anywhere from 1 to 10 million, depending on who good WOM and the holiday season are, but lets lowball and go for 2.5 million this FY.

Mario Tennis Aces: Being a quite hyped game, it should sell at least as good as the average Mario tennis, so anywhere from 1-2 million, lets go with the middle and say it Sells 1.5 million this FY.

DKCTF: should definitely hit 1m at the very least.

Fire Emblem Switch: it should at the very least keep sales stable from the main entries but to be conservative lets go with a bit less, so lets go with 2m this FY.

Smash: as one of the big hitters, this one should pull in quite some numbers, smash has grown in top sales every entry(assuming you combine WiiU and 3DS as one game) so it should sell 8m this FY at the very least.

Sushi Striker: to be honest, i have no idea how this will sell, since its a new Ip and also a dual release on 3DS/Switch, but since its a New Nintendo IP on their hot new system i think going with 1 million this FY should be achievable.

Captain Toad: while this one also being a dual release, but being a port of a popular game, i think going with 1m this FY is also reasonably conservative.

Yoshi 2018: this one being another stable franchise getting a new entry this Year, i would say going with a bit bellow average yoshi sales is a nicely conservative sales goal, so lets go with 1 million sold this FY.

This totals to 18 million for the already announced First Party titles this FY, and a total of 33 million software sold for First party titles in FY 2018.

Then lets go to major(ish) Third party titles that are announced for FY2018:

Darksouls Remastered: even if it got delayed into summer, it should still hit a million sold this FY, since the nintendo only gamers would experience it for the first time, and quite the number should double dipp for the portability.

Yokai Watch 4: currently Japan only, so lets assume it stays so for this FY, thus i would go with 1 million sold in Japan for this game this FY.

Octopath Traveller: should hit a million sold this FY, since reception has been great, and the demo already got downloaded 1.3 million times.

Hyrule Warriors: despite being a rerelease of a rerelease, it should hit 1 million this FY, since (irc)FEW did so last year, on a smaller installbase.

DQBuilders2: it should hit 500k at the very least, due to it being day to date with PS4 and having no major downgrades.

Takio: should hit 500k in Japan alone.

The world ends with you remake: should hit 500k.

That would put major third party sales of what is announced at 5.5 million this FY, and total sales of FP/Third Party combined at 38 million while disregarding third party backlog, and third party indies with a physical release.

Then there is the matter of Nintendos handling of Digital only titles, which could result in sales from last FY to be counted this FY, like how the sales for Sonic mania have not been counted, but will be once Plus releases, since it is a Physical release, things like that could boost reported sales by quite a bit, assuming more successful indies decide to release physical versions. Thus i would say that with the continued success of Indies on switch, and the increased release frequency of them its a conservative number to say all the Indies will sell 11m this FY on switch.

As for the Third party backlog, there are too many titles to really list them all, but in general software seems to have nice legs on Switch, so i would say 11m from the third party backlog should be reasonable.

This would bring software sales as a total up to 60 million.

Then they would just need some unannounced big first and third party titles to cover the gap of 40 million units.

If Pokemon really does hit 2018, or even just spring of 2019, that should bring in 10-15 million sales alone.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Just throwing some random guesstimated numbers around, this is my path to 100m software sold.

First lets look at already released Firstparty titles from last FY:

Zelda BOTW: should sell another 2 million at the very least this FY.
MK8DX: should sell another 5 million at the very least this FY.
Splatoon 2:should sell another 2 million at the very least(1million in japan alone, due to octodlc) this FY.
Mario Odyssey: should sell another 3 million at the very least this FY.
ARMS+XC2+12Switch: should sell 1.5 million at the very least combined this FY.
Kirby Star Allies: should sell another 1.5 million this FY alone, since it only got half a month in sales last FY.

Thats already 15 million in Software sales just from the Firstparty backlog, with if i dare say so quite modest estimates.

Then we have the first party titles that are announced for this FY:

LABO: that should sell anywhere from 1 to 10 million, depending on who good WOM and the holiday season are, but lets lowball and go for 2.5 million this FY.

Mario Tennis Aces: Being a quite hyped game, it should sell at least as good as the average Mario tennis, so anywhere from 1-2 million, lets go with the middle and say it Sells 1.5 million this FY.

DKCTF: should definitely hit 1m at the very least.

Fire Emblem Switch: it should at the very least keep sales stable from the main entries but to be conservative lets go with a bit less, so lets go with 2m this FY.

Smash: as one of the big hitters, this one should pull in quite some numbers, smash has grown in top sales every entry(assuming you combine WiiU and 3DS as one game) so it should sell 8m this FY at the very least.

Sushi Striker: to be honest, i have no idea how this will sell, since its a new Ip and also a dual release on 3DS/Switch, but since its a New Nintendo IP on their hot new system i think going with 1 million this FY should be achievable.

Captain Toad: while this one also being a dual release, but being a port of a popular game, i think going with 1m this FY is also reasonably conservative.

Yoshi 2018: this one being another stable franchise getting a new entry this Year, i would say going with a bit bellow average yoshi sales is a nicely conservative sales goal, so lets go with 1 million sold this FY.

This totals to 18 million for the already announced First Party titles this FY, and a total of 33 million software sold for First party titles in FY 2018.

Then lets go to major(ish) Third party titles that are announced for FY2018:

Darksouls Remastered: even if it got delayed into summer, it should still hit a million sold this FY, since the nintendo only gamers would experience it for the first time, and quite the number should double dipp for the portability.

Yokai Watch 4: currently Japan only, so lets assume it stays so for this FY, thus i would go with 1 million sold in Japan for this game this FY.

Octopath Traveller: should hit a million sold this FY, since reception has been great, and the demo already got downloaded 1.3 million times.

Hyrule Warriors: despite being a rerelease of a rerelease, it should hit 1 million this FY, since (irc)FEW did so last year, on a smaller installbase.

DQBuilders2: it should hit 500k at the very least, due to it being day to date with PS4 and having no major downgrades.

Takio: should hit 500k in Japan alone.

The world ends with you remake: should hit 500k.

That would put major third party sales of what is announced at 5.5 million this FY, and total sales of FP/Third Party combined at 38 million while disregarding third party backlog, and third party indies with a physical release.

Then there is the matter of Nintendos handling of Digital only titles, which could result in sales from last FY to be counted this FY, like how the sales for Sonic mania have not been counted, but will be once Plus releases, since it is a Physical release, things like that could boost reported sales by quite a bit, assuming more successful indies decide to release physical versions. Thus i would say that with the continued success of Indies on switch, and the increased release frequency of them its a conservative number to say all the Indies will sell 11m this FY on switch.

As for the Third party backlog, there are too many titles to really list them all, but in general software seems to have nice legs on Switch, so i would say 11m from the third party backlog should be reasonable.

This would bring software sales as a total up to 60 million.

Then they would just need some unannounced big first and third party titles to cover the gap of 40 million units.

If Pokemon really does hit 2018, or even just spring of 2019, that should bring in 10-15 million sales alone.
a lot of your estimates are on the low side.

Damian Mahadevan

User banned for use of alt account
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I hope they chane the forecast to 26 million mid year. I have an avatar bet going that they will sell 30 million this fiscal year.

Oct 27, 2017
Same. Mario Kart DLC is a lot more likely than Mario Kart 9 in the next 12-18 months.
(I expect neither, but at least DLC is plausible and would be a nice surprise - it'd make me buy MK8D).
I would strongly disagree. The sail for MK8 DLC has sailed and the later they keep releasing content for it, the further back an MK9 release has to be pushed. They're done touching it

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Mario Kart sells extremely high, but it's not necessarily the biggest system seller which is something more indicative of selling 20M in a year. Pokemon would push more hardware than Mario Kart, considering the current demographics of the system (males in their 20s -30s mostly).

That's a good point. A large section of the Mario Kart audience is already on the system. Even so, Mario Kart 9 would bring in even more people, a surefire hit for the existing install base and MK8 players, and it would give Nintendo a new Mario Kart "platform" for gameplay innovations and content expansions (DLC). They could do stuff that they can't do in MK8 without reworking it from the ground up.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Seem the most realistic expectation.

Let's just see how they want to archive this. It's mostly about the line up and the marketing, as i don't expect a pricedrop this year, if not maybe some Black Friday or christmas promotions?