• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
http://www.lefigaro.fr/medias/2019/...edium=sms&utm_campaign=fr.playsoft.lefigarov3

Bullet points:

(note: all of those numbers are retail only)

- In 2017, they announced their pretty high objective of reaching two millions units sold by the end of 2018. They reached it and even surpassed it by a little bit, by selling 2.04 millions at the end of December. 1.13 millions of that number comes from 2018, versus 911k in 2017.
- Switch is the best selling console of 2018.
- They had holiday sales comparable to those of the Wii, with weeks that sold in the hundreds of thousands.
- 3DS sold 254k in 2018, versus 507k in 2017, for a grand total of 5.5 millions LTD.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the third best selling game of 2018 all platforms combined at retail. The ranking is Fifa 19 > RDR2 > MK8DX. It sold 1.2 millions LTD, with 700k of that in 2018 (so higher than in 2017). (note: it's a similar performance as in UK where MK8DX sold more in its second year than in its first)
- Super Mario Party is the fifth best selling game of 2018 all platforms combined at retail. Pokémon is seventh, Super Mario Odyssey eight and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate ninth. All of those titles sold more than 400k LTD.
- They're expecting to sell even more units this year than in 2018.

UPDATE : more numbers and facts coming from another interview with Nintendo France's CEO Philippe Lavoué
https://www.challenges.fr/high-tech...-succes-de-sa-console-switch-en-france_635496

- 65% of their hardware number was sold in the christmas holiday period.
- Laurent Michaud, tech analyst at Idate, expect the Switch to know even higher growth in 2019 before beginning to decline in 2020. He expects Nintendo to catch up to Sony's PS4 and sell 120 millions units lifetime.
- Nintendo games were worth 24.3% of games sales in France in 2018.
- In addition to the rankings from the previous interview, Splatoon 2 was the 11th best selling game of the year. 1-2-Switch and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze are also mentionned as charting in the top but without indication as to where exactly
- Although they don't give any numbers, it's mentionned that the Nintendo Switch Online service is off to a very good start.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the third best selling game of 2018 all platforms combined at retail. The ranking is Fifa 19 > RDR2 > MK8DX. It sold 1.2 millions LTD, with 700k of that in 2018 (so higher than in 2017). (note: it's a similar performance as in UK where MK8DX sold more in its second year than in its first)
- Super Mario Party is the fifth best selling game of 2018 all platforms combined at retail. Pokémon is seventh, Super Mario Odyssey eight and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate ninth. All of those titles sold more than 400k LTD.

Switch evergreen performance is insanity

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Damn, looks like Super Mario Party massively over performed expectations when I see these numbers and Japan, while taking into account how it's been charting in the US.

I just noticed the baguettes. I'm dying

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Very good results for Switch. Looks like the holidays were insane if they were Wii like.

Oct 27, 2017
The bit about Smash Bros (#9) being above 400K is very interesting, because we have the numbers for the UK and the #9 is Forza Horizon 4 with
392.960 units sold (retail only). Looks like France is competing strongly with the UK, although the numbers for FIFA and RDR2 might be way stronger in the UK, we'll have to see when the full charts.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
those numbers show once again how strong the legs of games are in France. But I don't really know why.
Smash will 100% be the best selling switch game WW, yet it's behind MK8D, SMP, LGP/LGE and SMO in France. Because it only had a month to sell.
This was the same last year: zelda was the best selling switch game (#3 accross all platforms) in front of MK8D (#4) and SMO (#6) although they both outsold it worldwide.

Can someone with more knowledge than I explain this trend ?

Edit: And it seems that was also the case for Spain and Germany last year ?

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That's a lot of baguettes!

that thread cover photo is making me hungry

I'm really excited to see what this thing can do with a price cut and revision.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Switch is really popular here. My 9 year old kid told me that almost all of his schoolmates asked for one as a Christmas gift.
Lol the other day I saw a guy buying 2 in my supermarket.

France continues to buy Nintendo products en masse. Even the WiiU wasn't THAT awful here, enough said.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Jesus-Christ the Switch is a Beast in France. No surprise there, France has ALWAYS been a strong market for Nintendo.

I'm shocked Mario Kart Deluxe sold more this year and that Super Mario Party is the 5th best selling game of the year ! That's INSANE !!!

Very proud of my fellow French patriots, we are one of the biggest state in Nintendoland for sure :)

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
http://www.lefigaro.fr/medias/2019/...edium=sms&utm_campaign=fr.playsoft.lefigarov3

Bullet points:

(note: all of those numbers are retail only)

- In 2017, they announced their pretty high objective of reaching two millions units sold by the end of 2018. They reached it and even surpassed it by a little bit, by selling 2.04 millions at the end of December. 1.13 millions of that number comes from 2018, versus 911k in 2017.
- They had holiday sales comparable to those of the Wii, with weeks that sold in the hundreds of thousands.
- 3DS sold 254k in 2018, versus 507k in 2017, for a grand total of 5.5 millions LTD.
- They're expecting to sell even more units this year than in 2018.
Also, Do those numbers include bundles ? Because what I find for 2017 doesn't seem to.

and Here is the source of the tweet.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Really good. Will be interesting to see what they are at for the FY later this month. Looks like Nintendo has had a monster year both with software and hardware.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
That tweet above means Super Mario Party, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, and Pokémon Let's Go were all bigger then the biggest switch game of last year in terms of comparing launch holidays. Damnnn

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I'm shocked Mario Kart Deluxe sold more this year and that Super Mario Party is the 5th best selling game of the year ! That's INSANE !!!

At this point it's safe to say Super Mario Party can get close to the heights of the franchise, i.e., 8 on Wii and DS on DS at 8-9m units. Nintendo must have shipped 4-5m already.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ms-qelazc_larges5kb5.gif

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Another country that the Switch was roughly up 20-25% in yoy. That is what they need to keep around on average to make the mythical 20 million.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
At this point it's safe to say Super Mario Party can get close to the heights of the franchise, i.e., 8 on Wii and DS on DS at 8-9m units. Nintendo must have shipped 4-5m already.
More then that in my opinion.
800k in Japan
>1.5 Million US
>400k in France
>100k in Germany
Almost 3 million there with a lot of time for numbers for everywhere missing and no digital which had promotions.

I'm thinking 6-7 million honestly all together.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Which number is off ? It seems to line up actually. MK8DX is listed at 500k units sold in 2017 in your tweet.
They are not off, there is just a line below the ranks saying "données hors bundle"
Edit : I'm asking because if it was still the case in 2018, we would have to add around 60k MK8D copies for the bundle.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain

I made a huge mistake thinking that there were only 2 Nintendo big games last year : Ulimate and Let's Go.

We need to add Super Mario Party there. The game will surely reach 10 million lifetime, simply incredible ! It has a shot at selling more than Splatoon 2 and become the 6th best selling Switch game.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure I recall that this person's expectations were called deluded for both 2017 and 2018 by regulars on this site and Neogaf. I always felt he knew what he was talking about and lo and behold he was underestimating in both years.

It's another unfortunate reflection on this site really. But congrats to Nintendo France regardless, they're definitely hitting it out of the park.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I remember when the Nintendo France guy said they expected to reach 2 million Switch in France this year, a lot of doubts were expressed.

I'm sure I recall that this person's expectations were called deluded for both 2017 and 2018 by regulars on this site and Neogaf. I always felt he knew what he was talking about and lo and behold he was underestimating in both years.

It's another unfortunate reflection on this site really. But congrats to Nintendo France regardless, they're definitely hitting it out of the park.
Just saw your post after posting mine, exactly what I remember as well.