• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa recently stated that any future acquisitions by the company will be based on technological innovation, and Nintendo is very eager to catch up with the rapid development of technological innovation.

After releasing the full-year financial report on Thursday, Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa discussed the company's $9.2 billion war chest plan at a media conference. He said: "We need to ensure cash reserves to ensure financial stability, but if we need to respond to rapidly advancing technological innovations, we may need to acquire companies that have this technology."

In February of this year, Furukawa stated that it is not shrewd to increase the size of the Nintendo development team purely through acquisitions, because this does not necessarily lead to a higher level of the first-party game lineup.

He told Nikkei that the company's strategy for the acquisition was based on whether the potential target could improve the value of entertainment provided by the Nintendo Lock. Nintendo announced in January this year that they are acquiring Next Level Games.

www.realmicentral.com

Nintendo: Future studio acquisitions will be based on technological innovation - Real Mi Central

Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa recently stated that any future acquisitions by the company will be based on technological innovation.

Acquire me if old.

EDIT: What is Nintendo Lock?

EDIT 2:

The developer of Louis' Haunted House 3, which is also Nintendo's first acquisition in the past ten years

This has to be some wacky typo this author has...

EDIT 3:

Better article.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Nintendo says future acquisitions would be driven by ‘tech innovation’ | VGC

President discusses plans for company’s $9.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I dig it. Makes me feel that Nintendo might be very willing to go with a 7nm node with DLSS for the Switch Pro.

Oct 26, 2017
Won't lie, I kinda wish they acquired some more of their long term partners. They could've been grown and built up further to expand their output

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
louis-vuitton-1.jpg

Louis' Haunted House 3? C'est Magnifique!

Oct 28, 2017
A 3rd Mario brother emerges from the shadows of an unmarked door on an unmarked house.

Behold! Louis, the eldest 'Mario'

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
I missed the announcement of Nintendo Lock, I hope is good as Nintendo Switch

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Louis' Haunted House 3! i cackled.

edit: if it's about technology, i feel like niantic would have been a good acquisition a few years ago when they were cheap. now they're an absolutely massive company.

Apr 26, 2020
Louis' Haunted House 3! i cackled.

edit: if it's about technology, i feel like niantic would have been a good acquisition a few years ago when they were cheap. now they're an absolutely massive company.

Niantic
Velan Studios(Mariokart Live)
Or maybe more tech related companies instead of game development
Are good choices indeed, but we will see of anything at all happens

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Makes sense.

In the past Nintendo has been open about how they prefer to stay away from acquisitions because if the talent leaves then you've gained nothing. They've been steadily increasing the size of their studios too and it seems that's how they prefer to grow their output. Next Level games will likely become a two game studio before too long.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It makes sense for Nintendo to be a bit more bold with acquisitions, considering so many acquisitions are happening throughout the industry. They probably don't want to stay away from consolidating their position due to conservative acquisition attitudes. Doesn't mean they're going to buy studios left and right, obviously.
I don't think Panic have any tech that Nintendo would want tbh. They work with others' technology. NLG on the other hand have, besides being an amazingly talented studio, some hugely impressive animation and graphics tech, and I think it's why Nintendo were dead set on not letting them be acquired by someone else.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
Are we talking about game studios or tech companies?

If is the former, which studio could bring technological innovation?

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a company they could purchase that would help improve their online services?

Even Nintendo has to realise that online multiplayer probably helped AC sales during the pandemic, right? RIGHT?! :(

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly they should probably be investing in companies that can provide a decent online gaming service because damn are they behind the curve there.
Yeah, maybe. I don't play online a lot, but if it could be quicker to play co op animal crossing with my daughter, sure please improve.