• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Sorry if this was already answered, but does anyone have software data for the PS4 at the same point in its lifecycle?
How do the Switch LTD shipments compare to it?

edit : nevermind, the data can be found here
re-edit : wut, the earning don't list the software sales for the earlier years/quarters x_X
re-re-edit : Wikipedia charts are incomplete. Were the numbers simply not disclosed?

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It is currently 1m ahead ORAS with the same kind of legs.

Now ORAS didn't have a new generation game releasing the year after but 1m is a good lead and there are a possible spillover effects from Detective Pikachu.

15m is in sight imo.

They only need to add a detective hat to Let's Go Pikachu, that's 5m more in the bank bet.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Its legs are less, but its sales and revenue are pretty standard.
Even this part is not true

Pokémon ORAS
12/31/14 - 9.35m
3/31/15 - 9.95m
Q1 : 0.60m
Now - 14.19m

Pokémon XY
12/31/13 - 11.61m
3/31/14 - 12.26m
Q1 : 0.65m
Now - 16.39m

Pokémon Sun/Moon
12/31/16 - 14.69m
3/31/17 - 15.44m
Q1 : 0.75m
Now - 16.15m

Pokémon Let's Go

12/31/16 - 10.0m
3/31/17 - 10.63m
Q1 : 0.63m

Oct 25, 2017
Even this part is not true
25fyrnshu7y11.jpg

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
It's possible for sure, don't rly see it happening myself though. Regardless it'll at the very least be the second best selling remake ever

Also of note that by the time ORAS released, 3DS was at 50m shipped, compared to Switch with 34m and 3DS also already had the cheaper 2DS release out, which was irc even bundled with ORAS games for some time.

I think Lets Go could see a substantial boost in sales when the cheaper Switch revision does release.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It should be rising though right? True it's on it's 2nd year so it makes sense I guess

It did rise, just not as much as most thought it would. We'll see what kind of potential it has this year when we get a price cut and/or revision. IIRC the PS4 had a price cut in its third year. EDIT: Or was it its second year?

Oct 26, 2017
I might get this wrong since not really intro sales thread but didn't ps4 beat switch again base on the result today? PS4 was hitting 20m+ on it's peak year, did switch even hit that?
The Switch hasn't gone through its peak years yet. The PS4 didn't sell over 20 million units in its 2nd year, from what I remember. It sold about the same as the Switch. Launch aligned, they're damn near neck and neck

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I could've sworn I saw an article saying that Nintendo shares tumbled at the FY earnings release but NTDOY today is showing up 6.4%.

I don't get investors.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I might get this wrong since not really intro sales thread but didn't ps4 beat switch again base on the result today? PS4 was hitting 20m+ on it's peak year, did switch even hit that?
PS4's second full FY, it shipped 17.7M consoles, Switch shipped 16.95M. The following year which ended with Switch's launch month, had 2 new models (the slim and pro), was the year it peaked at 20M shipped. That is this year for the Switch, PS4 is selling better than it launch aligned, but Sony drove those sales with price drops. They aren't drastically different and most of it comes down to launching in the Holidays, where even the XB1 was able to outsell the Switch by 1.5 Million.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Why is that an issue? Tropical freeze / nsmb u are Nintendo select titles available for £13.99. Nintendo doesn't see the nearly the exact same game being readily available at a quarter of the price on another of its systens as an issue so I highly doubt a £40 3DS game would enter their decision making process

The more likely answer is simply bad planning
Because DKCRTF and NSMBU didn't get $40 3DS releases a year or two previous. Availability on the 75m 3DS isn't the same as the 13m Wii U.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Because DKCRTF and NSMBU didn't get $40 3DS releases a year or two previous. Availability on the 75m 3DS isn't the same as the 13m Wii U.

NSMBU got a selects re-release (with additional Luigi content), Tropical Freeze got a selects re-release. Captain Toad got a simultaneous release on 3ds and Switch and was a port of a title that got a selects re-release. Stop trying to find a pattern / logic where there isn't any lol

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It was down but it's recoverd the majority of the losses already.
Screenshot-20190426-184234.png

This is what I see for NTDOY (NYSE) right now:

Wd0ug6M.png

It's up over 6% from closing yesterday, which is when the earnings release broke. The dropoff from the 23rd happened when analysts cautioned investors about being too excited about the Tencent/China deal. Then the pre-earnings bump on the 24th, then the big drop on the 25th, now we're basically back to the Tencent/China excitement levels from the 22nd.

So yeah, investors are weird. Especially since this is the first article I see when I search NTDOY today:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/26/nintendo-shares-tumble-after-ultra-conservative-switch-guidance.html

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
NSMBU got a selects re-release (with additional Luigi content), Tropical Freeze got a selects re-release. Captain Toad got a simultaneous release on 3ds and Switch and was a port of a title that got a selects re-release. Stop trying to find a pattern / logic where there isn't any lol
Nintendo already sunsetted Wii U, they don't care about price disparity there (as DKCRTF proved, being $10 more on Switch than Wii U launch price). 3DS is a different matter, it's not about finding a pattern, it's just acknowledging the obvious. If Wooly World hadn't already gotten an enhanced 3DS port then Nintendo & Good Feel might've done that on Switch instead of going ahead with Crafted World. But it did, so they didn't.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That's mostly because their own ticker hasn't update yet today. It's still in the -1.32.

Sorry, I wasn't clear- I know CNBC is only reporting based on what they saw previously (that article was posted 16 hours ago or so), what I mean is I find it odd that we've got lots of news about underwhelming results, underwhelming forecasts and the stock dropping yet the next day it opens over 6% up, almost at the highest it's been in months.

What's strange about it is that the stock actually barely fell. Usually if it falls heavily people will buy, but it was only down a max of ~3% or so IIRC. It's just strange to me that it overcompensated so heavily today.

I guess the whole "conservative forecast" idea makes investors a bit more excited about the potential for them exceeding the forecast.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
So, it seems there were 23 million seller games on Switch last FY.
Is there any way for us to know (or at least, an educated guess) of what those games are?

Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...million-selling-games-in-the-last-fiscal-year
1. Smash bros
2. Pokemon LGP
3. Pokemon LGE
4. Mario Party
5. Mario Kart
6. Labo
7. Yoshi
8. Kirby
9. DK
10. Mario Kart 8
11. BotW
12. Super Mario Odyssey
13. Splatoon 2
14. Project Octopath Traveller
15. Hollow Knight
16. Celeste
17. Captain Toad
18. Minecraft
19. Diablo 3?
20. NSMBU
Idk what else would've sold one million this FY.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
"This slide shows combined sell-through for the Japanese, North American, and European markets. As you can see, sell-through from January to March was 35% higher than the same period of the previous year".

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190426_3e.pdf

So sell-through for Q1 is around 35% stronger than for last years Q1, and despite that shipped numbers for this Q1 are around 500k lower than last years,
IMO this points Nintendo is lowering invetory for current model because they will release soon Switch revision.

Yep, but most people cant read numbers... it's so obvious what nintendo is doing and denying the launch of a new system is so stupid. If it weren't for that, they should have shipped 18 million or more.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
So, it seems there were 23 million seller games on Switch last FY.
Is there any way for us to know (or at least, an educated guess) of what those games are?

Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...million-selling-games-in-the-last-fiscal-year

We know for sure

1. Smash
2. Pokémon
3. Mario Kart
4. Mario Party
5. BotW
6. Mario U
7. Splatoon 2
8. Mario Tennis
9. DKTF
10. Kirby
11. Captain Toad
12. Octopath*
13. Yoshi
14. LABO 1

* Japan excluded

I would think it's safe to assume that the 23 titles are retail+digital and do not include eShop only titles (because Nintendo generally doesn't).

There are 9 third party titles that sold 1+ million.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
1. Smash bros
2. Pokemon LGP
3. Pokemon LGE
4. Mario Party
5. Mario Kart
6. Labo
7. Yoshi
8. Kirby
9. DK
10. Mario Kart 8
11. BotW
12. Super Mario Odyssey
13. Splatoon 2
14. Project Octopath Traveller
15. Hollow Knight
16. Celeste
17. Captain Toad
18. Minecraft
19. Diablo 3?
20. NSMBU
Idk what else would've sold one million this FY.

crash bandicoot, fifa

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
by the way, xenoblade 2 should be around 2m right? It was at 1,53m as of september and they put it on sales twice on the eshop since that. it has to be at 2m or maybe even a little more. I think.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo already sunsetted Wii U, they don't care about price disparity there (as DKCRTF proved, being $10 more on Switch than Wii U launch price). 3DS is a different matter, it's not about finding a pattern, it's just acknowledging the obvious. If Wooly World hadn't already gotten an enhanced 3DS port then Nintendo & Good Feel might've done that on Switch instead of going ahead with Crafted World. But it did, so they didn't.

You are just inventing rules out of nowhere. We have no idea why Crafted World happened instead of a Wooly World port but there being an additional 3DS port sure as hell is not the reason - Wii U ports (Tropical Freeze / NSMBU/ MK8D) 3DS ports (Fire Emblem Warriors / Captain Toad / Sushi Striker). There are as many examples of titles in each category. You think Nintendo is happy to do simultaneous releases on 3DS and Switch but for some reason not older titles that at some point had a 3DS release? That makes no sense. If anything more is gained by porting already released titles as you are likely to get people double dipping

Maur

Mar 26, 2018
We know for sure

1. Smash
2. Pokémon
3. Mario Kart
4. Mario Party
5. BotW
6. Mario U
7. Splatoon 2
8. Mario Tennis
9. DKTF
10. Kirby
11. Captain Toad
12. Octopath*
13. Yoshi
14. LABO 1

* Japan excluded

I would think it's safe to assume that the 23 titles are retail+digital and do not include eShop only titles (because Nintendo generally doesn't).

There are 9 third party titles that sold 1+ million.

So, considering Nintendo probably does not consider eShop only titles, perhaps the next 9 games could be:

- FIFA 19
- Just Dance 19
- Mario & Rabbids
- Diablo 3
- Starlink
- Minecraft
- Crash Bandicoot
- Sonic Forces
- Monster Hunter

What do you guys think?

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Do I remember correctly that 20 million was Nintendo's first goal - back in April 2018, and an analyst predicted something like 25 million? The first party software sales on the other hand... really good.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
How do we know that? They're sending few but still shipping

Because they have managed to increase sales by 20% but now they are shipping less than jan-march of 2018.

How do you sell more and ship less?

You can compare with sony. Even though pps4 is selling worse than switch from january till march, sony shipped more units.

This is a proof of a new model coming.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
So, considering Nintendo probably does not consider eShop only titles, perhaps the next 9 games could be:

- FIFA 19
- Just Dance 19
- Mario & Rabbids
- Diablo 3
- Starlink
- Minecraft
- Crash Bandicoot
- Sonic Forces
- Monster Hunter

What do you guys think?
Rocket league is for sure on the list. Overcooked 2 as well.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Because they have managed to increase sales by 20% but now they are shipping less than jan-march of 2018.

How do you sell more and ship less?

You can compare with sony. Even though pps4 is selling worse than switch from january till march, sony shipped more units.

This is a proof of a new model coming.
Why would it necessarily mean that unless the og switch would be discontinued?