• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt that Nintendo has lost a lot of money on the Wii U.

They really didn't. It also led to them dramatically reshape their advertising and getting rid of the E3 show. You can check their books and see how they got better at making more from less during those years, which is great cause now they have all those lessons and an actual success.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Nintendo reaches 100m plus and continues to support the switch after Sony and Microsoft release their next gen consoles. I really want my metroid on this console dammit!!

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I doubt that Nintendo has lost a lot of money on the Wii U.
Yep

5aeb55c419ee861e008b4815.jpg

It was actually the saving of the 3DS with the price cut etc that seemed to cost them the most.

The approach with the Wii U was to eke as much money out of it as possible and specifically not save it. I have no doubt they could have got to 20 million or whatever with aggressive price cutting, but instead they let it sit at basically launch price its entire life.

And every time I see this chart I think WTF at them approaching six billion in operating profit in 2009.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yep

It was actually the saving of the 3DS with the price cut etc that seemed to cost them the most.

The approach with the Wii U was to eke as much money out of it as possible and not save it. I have no doubt they could have got to 20 million or whatever with aggressive price cutting, but instead they let it sit at basically launch price its entire life.

Yeah the 3DS price cut was the real thing that hurt them, and that's why Iwata cut his pay in half. They did some creative stuff to squeeze every penny out of the Wii U, like Amiibos.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would it necessarily mean that unless the og switch would be discontinued?
it means that Nintendo wants more Switch Lites on the shelves than OG Switches, so they slow the amount of OG Switches to stores. not discontinued, but that might not happen until the Pro comes out

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
it means that Nintendo wants more Switch Lites on the shelves than OG Switches, so they slow the amount of OG Switches to stores. not discontinued, but that might not happen until the Pro comes out

Or the Lite may indeed replace the OG Switch. We really don't know yet.

They could do a regular SKU with dock and chargers and all of that for like $275 or $250 and a dockless, chargerless, gripless SKU for $200.

It really all depends on whether or not it has a die shrink (I'd be shocked if it didn't) and whether the controls are integrated or it just uses the Joycons. AFAIK we've had no reports saying the controls will be integrated.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or the Lite may indeed replace the OG Switch. We really don't know yet.

They could do a regular SKU with dock and chargers and all of that for like $275 or $250 and a dockless, chargerless, gripless SKU for $200.

It really all depends on whether or not it has a die shrink (I'd be shocked if it didn't) and whether the controls are integrated or it just uses the Joycons. AFAIK we've had no reports saying the controls will be integrated.
there's no way it's not a die shrink. they can't shrink the system without it.

also, I think the Pro will replace the OG switch. mainly because if the Lite doesn't come with a dock as part of the cost cutting, people will want a way to have the dock in the package rather than buy it separately. not to mention, I believe the boosted GPU clock would be a part of the firmware update if they intended for the docked experience to get an equivalent boost as the handheld mode

Oct 25, 2017
Yep

The approach with the Wii U was to eke as much money out of it as possible and specifically not save it. I have no doubt they could have got to 20 million or whatever with aggressive price cutting, but instead they let it sit at basically launch price its entire life.

And every time I see this chart I think WTF at them approaching six billion in operating profit in 2009.
Was always upsetting that Nintendo didn't try and save the Wii U, but I guess things worked out

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Not spending much on advertising and never dropping the price bellow $299 doesn't seem like trying.

3DS's $80 price cut after half a year is trying
The Wii U's demand and interest was extraordinarily low. Whether it was $200 or $100, it wouldn't have sold much more. It was just an unappealing system so they were smarter to not bother trying to go all out to save it

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Not spending much on advertising and never dropping the price bellow $299 doesn't seem like trying.

3DS's $80 price cut after half a year is trying
They weighed and calculated without a doubt imo. Wii u was a terrible and unapealing product. They knew at some point, just like we knew after a couple of months. There was no way to sell it.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
The issue with the Wii U wasn't a price issue, if that was the case they would've solved the problem. People didn't like the system itself.
Its price was lowered to 300$ and they bundled a game with it and it didn't make a difference at all.

Price was an issue for 3DS and PS3, both were desirable but consumers wanted them cheaper.

Oct 25, 2017
The Wii U's demand and interest was extraordinarily low. Whether it was $200 or $100, it wouldn't have sold much more. It was just an unappealing system so they were smarter to not bother trying to go all out to save it
Seeing 3DS recover so well and Nintendo not doing anything for Wii U.

I understand the *why* they didn't, probably way too expensive to try and save the 3DS and wii U while supporting both and the Wii U would likely never fully recover (because it was unappealing), but I still lament it.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing 3DS recover so well and Nintendo not doing anything for Wii U.

I understand the *why* they didn't, probably way too expensive to try and save the 3DS and wii U while supporting both, and the Wii U would likely never fully recover, but I still lament it.

Honestly if it hastened the transition to the amazing Switch I'm happy they didnt save it

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
It is not they didn't try, they tried but the response was 0. They lowered the price 50$ and bunbled the system with their high profile games like MK8 to increase its value.
They offered a big collection of VC titles across many systems like GBA,SNES,DS and others to make it more attractive for their fans.
They improved the software and the time needed to start a game.
They announced games like Yoshi and FExSMT very early.

None of what they did had any effect, and the system was expensive to produce + not compatible with third parties engines and tech.

It was a failed product. They did the right thing even though a part of me wished they were more faithful to it, it started to gain some positivity with Splatoon and Mario Maker but they let it fade away.

Oct 25, 2017
It is not they didn't try, they tried but the response was 0. They lowered the price 50$ and bunbled the system with their high profile games like MK8 to increase its value.
They offered a big collection of VC titles across many systems like GBA,SNES,DS and others to make it more attractive for their fans.
They improved the software and the time needed to start a game.
They announced games like Yoshi and FExSMT very early.

None of what they did had any effect, and the system was expensive to produce + not compatible with third parties engines and tech.

It was a failed product. They did the right thing even though a part of me wished they were more faithful to it, it started to gain some positivity with Splatoon and Mario Maker but they let it fade away.
They didn't cut the price by $50 and bundle a game, they just started bundling games in at $300.
Yoshi and SMTxFE were announced 2 months after launch, not really a long term example.

Wouldn't say VC was much of an effort too since nintendo's platforms since Wii had a VC.

I'm sure there are better examples, like Smash (though hamstrung by a 3DS version) and MK8

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't cut the price by $50 and bundle a game, they just started bundling games in at $300.
Yoshi and SMTxFE were announced 2 months after launch, not really a long term example.

Wouldn't say VC was much of an effort too since nintendo's platforms since Wii had a VC.

I'm sure there are better examples, like Smash (though hamstrung by a 3DS version) and MK8

They cut the price of the deluxe SKU which launched at $350 and they discontinued the basic SKU. Technically it's a price cut, even if it's not one that really enticed many people.

Also the MK8 promo was one of the best promos Nintendo has ever done, with a free game (from a pretty solid list of games) being included with MK8 for the first few months. They definitely tried a bit to salvage what they could but I guess they knew it wasn't really with breaking the bank to try and save it.

Oct 25, 2017
They cut the price of the deluxe SKU which launched at $350 and they discontinued the basic SKU. Technically it's a price cut, even if it's not one that really enticed many people.

Also the MK8 promo was one of the best promos Nintendo has ever done, with a free game (from a pretty solid list of games) being included with MK8 for the first few months. They definitely tried a bit to salvage what they could but I guess they knew it wasn't really with breaking the bank to try and save it.
I meant that they didn't drop the price by $50 and bundle a game at the same time, the deluxe bundle always came with a game, that was dropped by $50

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
marketing and price drops doesn't work when people don't want your stuff regardless. crazy-ass price drops didn't really help the Playstation Classic.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I meant that they didn't drop the price by $50 and bundle a game at the same time, the deluxe bundle always came with a game, that was dropped by $50

Oh I didn't realize you meant simultaneously.

Still, they did do bundles from time to time and had some pretty generous deals like the MK8 one. It just wasn't worthwhile to do more than that I guess.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
A decade later and that's still the annual record for a console gaming company/division.
It will be very hard to top. It was a company with low overhead having two systems operating at all-time highs around the world, simultaneously and they were selling every piece of hardware at a profit.

I think Sony or Microsoft would need a F2P service game breakout ala Fortnite on top of their typical business to get there. Nintendo would need a breakout mobile success, I guess Sony could do that too.