• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they overshipped in Q4 2018 but also you can't expect to move significant hardware when NSMBU and Yoshi 2 days before the quarter ends are your biggest releases.
Big first party titles are what pushes Switch hardware.

Switch just had the best first quarter of the generation. They are moving a lot of hardware, but they crearly overshipped a ton last year.

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
So, they didn't even hit the 17 million forecast? That's weird...i mean the console did really well the last Q in US and Japan.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
last year the switch outsold the gamecube.
this year it outsold the n64
next year it will outsell the snes

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like Luigi's Mansion 3 is getting delayed. Bummer as I was hoping that would make it out in October. Probably to help them have something early next year.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Wow not even 17m.
18m for 2020 is too low though, no doubt about that.
Let's Go sales about where I expected them to be, it wasn't gonna have legs.
Mario Kart keeps being impressive

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think a "cheapo" model will boost sales as much as people think. It will help yes, but not the massive explosive in sales some think. Most Switch owners still will buy the regular model, just as 2DS did not cause a large boom in 3DS sales.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
They stuffed channels in Q3 for the holidays and a lot of that excess stock sold in Q4 -- thus limiting need for higher shipments in Q4.
This still seems very strange: all sell-through data we have indicate that sell-through we higher than last year, so a shipment of 9.5M in Q3 shouldn't have caused such a large discrepancy such that this year's Q4 shipment is lower than last year's despite sell-through both in US and Japan being up 25%+. I think the root of the overshipment may have stemmed from the quarters before Q3, where sell-through was quite low but shipments were comparatively high. Maybe Q4 of last year assisted with a small overshipment to hit their 15M target?

Oct 25, 2017
Screen_Shot_2019-04-25_at_12.13.54_AM.png

Image for new page on Million sellers.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a "cheapo" model will boost sales as much as people think. It will help yes, but not the massive explosive in sales some think. Most Switch owners still will buy the regular model, just as 2DS did not cause a large boom in 3DS sales.
That really depends on what's different about the model, price, and if they'll still be selling the original.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alternatively, look at how 3DS sales jumped when Nintendo slashed the price.

Switch is still an expensive piece of hardware for several markets, including ones they're going to be targeting hard this coming FY. A cheaper SKU is necessary to reach them in a way that it really wasn't for post-price cut 3DS.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Not true at all - first off the Switch is more mainstream than the 3DS and has a more broad appeal and the libary to back it up. 300 bucks IS expensive for a Nintendo device.

Getting a Switch fpr 200 bucks will make a massive difference for customers - as of now its more xpensive than the base Xbox One/PS4 consoles....thats not a fitting price point for kids or people who want it as a secondary device or 3DS replacement.

NintenDuvo08

Oct 30, 2017
Seeing Donkey KONG, Captain Toad, and Yoshi on the million sellers list really bring a big smile to my face, i wonder what happen to ARMS though

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
In any case, I'm glad they're starting with a conservative forecast this time around. I figured they would after recent results, but better to over deliver than to underwhelm. They will make 18m+ unless something unexpected happens

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Are they about to release e3 plans or mario maker 2 news or is this it? How long does it typically take them to release new info on stuff after the earnings are out?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not true at all - first off the Switch is more mainstream than the 3DS and has a more broad appeal and the libary to back it up. 300 bucks IS expensive for a Nintendo device.

Getting a Switch fpr 200 bucks will make a massive difference for customers - as of now its more xpensive than the base Xbox One/PS4 consoles....thats not a fitting price point for kids or people who want it as a secondary device or 3DS replacement.

We'll see, IMO the base model Switch ($299.99) will still be the bigger seller in the long haul.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
They have much better lineup this year compared to last year's but their forecast is still as low as 18m? Plus they have revisions. They seem to play it safe.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
It's still listed as 2019.
Also Fire Emblem was listed for 2018 last year in April, anyway.
But I am sincere, among all these releases Luigi's Mansion risks to be overshadowed, I think that the choice to release it in Q1 of 2020 (for example in january) would not a bad move at all. Let's see at E3, we will find out more I suppose.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Incredible how SMP sold that much, but it has had no DLC whatsoever. Same can be said for Mario Odyssey.

Oct 29, 2017
Whoa, where's Xenoblade 2? I thought it was believed to be like 1.2 mil or something like that?

Those are only the games that sold 1 million THIS fiscal year.

Xenoblade 2 was released in the LAST fiscal year (2017-2018).

I guess you could say that Yoshi can finally pay his tax bills 😎

Yoshi aint paying shit. He's funnelling ALL of that into his Swiss account!

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
So is the quick version - they under delivered hardware sales but over delivered software, end result being a net positive for profits?

Oct 25, 2017
It's still listed as 2019.

I think this quote is throwing people off:

In order to maintain this momentum, we will release Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kitin April, Super Mario Maker 2in June, and Fire Emblem: Three Housesin July, all worldwide. In addition, Pokémon Swordand Pokémon Shield, Animal Crossing (temp.) and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakeningare slated for release in 2019.

But it doesn't mention MUA or Astral Chain either, so I personally wouldn't read into it too deeply.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
We'll see, IMO the base model Switch ($299.99) will still be the bigger seller in the long haul.
Not arguing with that - the more active hardcore player base is gonna always go for the best Switch available.
But having a 200 dollar Switch will open up their potential customer group quite a bit and let Nintendo go even crazier with the bundles. I wouldnt underestimate it.