• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pathetic hardware numbers to be honest, and the forecast for next year isn't much higher.

Time for revisions/price cut is now.

"Pathetic" is a bit a much, those are still quite healthy numbers. Software sales are spectacular.

Fact is hitting 20 mill is hard when you don't have great 3rd party support and one company basically has to carry the platform most of the time. Price cuts/revisions only do so much as well unless they are bringing more content to the table.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
tho its a bit disappointing they did not meet even revised numbers, at least they decided to ride it instead of keep stuffing the channels just to meet ends as some people here where "expecting" em to do so

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
They only expect to sell 1 million 3DS units? I guess we can finally confirm they are moving forward and focusing only on Switch when developing games.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
I have finished updating the OP, please let me know if there are any errors.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo massively overestimated the first half of the last year especially for how little they actually released. Things like LABO while interesting novelties were not a Wii Sports and had little to no impact on sales. Switch Sales were pretty flat until E3 where they started an upward climb and have been since. They should have honestly never predicted 20 million when it relied on things like Labo being the next Mega Hit. People are saying Nintendo Massively over shipped in Q4 to get to where its at but NPD today revealed Switch had the best 1st Quarter of any console this generation in NA so Nintendo has been clearly selling hardware.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Pathetic hardware numbers to be honest, and the forecast for next year isn't much higher.

Pathetic seems a bit hyperbolic. Nintendo always 20 million was a lofty goal and I think people on Era got way too carried away with Switch's initial succeses in 2017/2018. The target was always ambitious and nowhere near a given, especially in a market that's some competitive.

Not to mention Labo, which again people here were saying would be "HUGE", came out to little fanfare. Smash and Let's Go did their job, but Labo didn't

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo massively overestimated the first half of the last year especially for how little they actually released. Things like LABO while interesting novelties were not a Wii Sports and had little to no impact on sales. Switch Sales were pretty flat until E3 where they started an upward climb and have been since. They should have honestly never predicted 20 million when it relied on things like Labo being the next Mega Hit. People are saying Nintendo Massively over shipped in Q4 to get to where its at but NPD today revealed Switch had the best 1st Quarter of any console this generation in NA so Nintendo has been clearly selling hardware.
With last year there were clearly games that got pushed to 2019 and that likely messed with things.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw this - "We remain skeptical about the long-term success of the Switch and the mobile business," Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Securities, said in an April 22 report.

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
They overshipped in Q3. I agree with you though

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Some weird things going on with their shipping this year. Maybe they are letting stock run somewhat low expecting a revision soon, while they overshippes in Q3?

Still very good numbers overall and Nintendo is very healthy. They are looking at a massive FY this year IMO, especially if they launch both of their mobile games this year, which have big potential as well.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Nintendo only shipped 2,47M from Jan to March, given that, USA and Japan alone, they sold 2M units in the same time, the surplus from Q3 was quite big, Im sure they really really really expects to do better in holidays.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Borrowed from our kind ZhugeEX :

D4-9Nh9WAAAT7IH.jpg:large

Compared to the same quarter last year, digital sales have doubled.

But that remains paltry compared to what PSN pushes:

D4--DsZWkAAyy6k.jpg:large

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Really happy for the success the Switch has had so far. After seeing what they're planning starting this summer, I'm expecting a great lineup in the years to come.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Just saw this - "We remain skeptical about the long-term success of the Switch and the mobile business," Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Securities, said in an April 22 report.

Michael Pachter's words are irrelevant, he likes to anger people with questionable (often factually wrong) statements just to generate articles, he's the human form of a clickbait.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo did roughly 17m which is great, but now everyone's gonna call it bad because they originally forecasted 20m stupidly. They've got only themselves to blame

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017

That some incredible profit growth right there, and second half of the calendar year look incredible with software lineup & no major titles slipping, plus a lull in ps4/xbox as they prepare for new hardware releases

Combine that with a reduced price mini and strength of their eshop sales (higher profit margins) they could end up with wii level profits even if revenue is less

Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo only shipped 2,47M from Jan to March, given that, USA and Japan alone, they sold 2M units in the same time, the surplus from Q3 was quite big, Im sure they really really really expects to do better in holidays.

They were probably expecting a lot more from Pokemon Let's Go; both in terms of its software sales and its ability to push hardware...

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
16.95 mln is basically 17, they reached the revised goal, not the stellar sales people expect but it is still a huge achievement.

Switch outsold N64 and it is very close to Xbox One after only 2 years.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
That some incredible profit growth right there, and second half of the calendar year look incredible with software lineup & no major titles slipping, plus a lull in ps4/xbox as they prepare for new hardware releases

Combine that with a reduced price mini and strength of their eshop sales (higher profit margins) they could end up with wii level profits even if revenue is less

They also have 2 mobile titles planned to release this FY. If either one of those have success, it will also boost their profits. Nintendo is still in fantastic shape.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Disappointed to be honest. I was confident they were being super conservative with the 17 million number.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It was crazy seeing a couple posters go "Yeah, they revised their forecasts, but I'm pretty sure they're going to sell ~19m anyway cause..."

Really surprised by their 2020 forecast though. They've got a pretty good slate this year and their two competitors are dinosaurs - if there's ever a year they're going to hit 20m, it should be this one.

... Expected the Let's Go numbers. It felt like they crazy overshipped those.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People doomin and gloomin while they are gonna outsell xbox one soonish and grab second place. Quite the doom indeed.

Honestly i am just glad everyone is doing well now its better that way. No one wants to see em fail why even? They all bring good games to the table thats what matters.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
In hindsight the 20m FY projection was not a great move. They should have gone with 15m.

Less than previous FY?
Nah, but they should have gone for 17-18m.

17m is pathetic?
Lest not carry away, 17m is still very good number, espacilly when we know Switch was selling hole year with launch price and with bundle with one game just for BF.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I am generally surprised that that sales are not about 17m, I expected around 18m because sales in Japan and US in Q1 are around 30-50% stronger than they were in Q1 of last year, that means that Q3 was over shipped or that they going with tight supplies of current Switch because new revision could be launch soon.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
One person mentioned "pathetic", which isn't far off I would argue.
Ahaha I guess it was inevitable *sigh*

People doomin and gloomin while they are gonna outsell xbox one soonish and grab second place. Quite the doom indeed.

Honestly i am just glad everyone is doing well now its better that way. No one wants to see em fail why even? They all bring good games to the table thats what matters.
That reminds me, how are the other two doing in comparison?
Both year per year and life to date if possible.

Oct 29, 2017
It was crazy seeing a couple posters go "Yeah, they revised their forecasts, but I'm pretty sure they're going to sell ~19m anyway cause..."

Really surprised by their 2020 forecast though. They've got a pretty good slate this year and their two competitors are dinosaurs - if there's ever a year they're going to hit 20m, it should be this one.

... Expected the Let's Go numbers. It felt like they crazy overshipped those.

Well they've already played the Next-Gen Pokemon card now. Let's Go will hurt Sword/Shield's potential impact on Switch hardware; since a Pokemon game is already on Switch now.

Animal Crossing is their biggest hardware driver they've announced this year; and that's not going to push more hardware than Pokemon would've. There's only so much it can do on its own.

Otherwise, their lineup consists of solid mid-tier sellers, but nothing else that is utterly earth shattering in terms of sales; certainly nothing that can reach the 10 million+ tier outside of Animal Crossing (and Pokemon S/S, but its effect on hardware will be blunted thanks to Let's Go).

I actually don't see Nintendo hitting 18 million this year, unless there is a new revision AND a significant price cut...

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pathetic seems a bit hyperbolic. Nintendo always 20 million was a lofty goal and I think people on Era got way too carried away with Switch's initial succeses in 2017/2018. The target was always ambitious and nowhere near a given, especially in a market that's some competitive.

Not to mention Labo, which again people here were saying would be "HUGE", came out to little fanfare. Smash and Let's Go did their job, but Labo didn't

Missing 20m isn't the issue, missing the substantially reduced 17m target is, and only expecting 18m for this year is even worse. This year will be Switch's peak and they could/should be doing much better.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Actually searched the thread and congrats! You're the first to say it.
So eager to preemptively mock it and instead being the only one who brought it up... kinda counter productive don't you think?

Nah. Im actually proud and impressed of the people here because of it.

Stock didn't take a hit. It was a bummer for m'self and a little surprising after the revision, but nothing too bad. Switch is still doing fantastic.

Those software sales are something out of dreams.