• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
It's up YoY, isn't it? So why the long faces in this thread?
Length contest, as it's always been. It doesn't help that both Sony and Nintendo put out their reports at the same general time frame so there's always reactions.

Just as I can appreciate PS4's insanely consistent sellthrough on their consoles, I can appreciate Nintendo's insane software attachment numbers.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shipments have been well behind sales for 2 quarters now, they're channel clearing as analysts suspected months ago.

We also have sellthrough data for Spain this year and it's the same story as the US and Japan.
Yep. Old model is being phased out, and the new refreshed model and the lite model are taking over since they have all new chips.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
So did Let's Go drop off a cliff? Only 350,000 in the last 3 months seems super low for a Pokémon game at this point in its lifespan, especially with its initial numbers. Breath of the Wild did 840,000 in the same window and that's all after the 2 year mark. Let's Go's still months away from year 1.

Deleted member 59

Solid numbers. Up on both Q1 in switches lifetime iirc (they were both under 2m)

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course shipments will be up, would be pretty bad if they weren't. Doesn't change that they either greatly overshipped in the past or are not selling through as much as expected.

Yes, it changes that. It's not "overshipping" if you deliberately ship less this quarter because you plan to ship different models next quarter. There are more than just two situations in the gaming financial world.

Deleted member 54216

Banned
Feb 26, 2019
Im interested to see how well a completely new Mario/nintendo kart can perform next year (hopefully) considering that this is a port of a 5 years old game

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Like last ps4 HW numbers showed - USA and Japan is not the whole world
Anyway good numbers with no SW heavy hitters. New HW revisions gonna boost the numbers
Here in the ME I am literally the only one in my circle of friends who owns a switch, it's pretty much PS4 land here and deservdly so because Sony actually has an official present here and they put an effort localising all of their games in Arabic .

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We only have data for the US and Japan.
And shipments or not, if shipments are that low despite higher sales it means they overshipped in the past.

We have hardware data for Spain weekly and for France as well, and the Switch is killing it there too. Shipments are only low because the current SKU is being replaced. It was expected.

Oct 25, 2017
Also Spain. The better question is do we have any data showing Switch isn't the leading console this year in any region?
Officially? Not really. Assumed? Most of Europe and Asia. Late launches in some countries and deep rooted PS territories don't help so much for the Switch in these aspects, along with the fact that PS4 is still officially available in many more countries than the Switch right now. A lot of Asian and Middle Eastern countries go gray market.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yes, it changes that. It's not "overshooting" if you deliberately ship less this quarter because you plan to ship different models next quarter. There are more than just two situations in the gaming financial industry.
No it doesn't. The shipments are extremely low compared to that of the PS4, which is supposed to have a way lower sell through this quarter. And in the past we have also never seen PS4 shipments plummet that low when a new model was imminent.

The only reasonable conclusion here is that Nintendo has overshipped massively in the last quarters (and that makes sense considering by how much they missed their predictions for FY 18).

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it doesn't. The shipments are extremely low compared to that of the PS4, which is supposed to have a way lower sell through this quarter. And in the past we have also never seen PS4 shipments plummet that low when a new model was imminent.

The only reasonable conclusion here is that Nintendo has overshipped massively in the last quarters (and that makes sense considering by how much they missed their predictions for FY 18).
Sony is in many more territories than Nintendo.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

this is again not how things work
idk why you think comparing to PS4 is relevant

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

The revision for switch is quite massive(especially in the case of the lite). It's a die shrink as well as new SoC due to the need to secure against the hardware exploit.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Imagine being able to poop out a remaster of Mario Bros U and sell over 4 million copies.

Feb 26, 2018
Here in the ME I am literally the only one in my circle of friends who owns a switch, it's pretty much PS4 land here and deservdly so because Sony actually has an official present here and they put an effort localising all of their games in Arabic .
Examples like this (support for smaller markets) is the reason PS4 HW is up 2% this quarter. Despite selling less in JP, US and some other countries

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

There was no overshipment last year either, sellthrough and shipments tracked pretty consistently for Switch. They're bleeding the channel and Nintendo's historically the most reluctant to channel stuff of the big 3. They learned hard lessons with GC and Wii U inventories.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much indicates Nintendo is very well on course to hit/top that 18 million forecast. 2.13m may not be a mind blowing number but it's a healthy increase from last year or the launch year (granted Switch was heavily supply constrained at that time). It's the best Q1 for the Switch.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
The rest of the year is going to be very interesting. An incredibly consistent lineup coupled with Switch Lite is going to do so well.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ERA should tell Nintendo that the proper way to do its business is to ship just enough of their soon to be replaced console so that they beat whatever shipment number Sony happened to have.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Well hearing shipped figures is completely stupid then. I'd much rather hear what it actually sold if it has the potential of being higher than the shipped number.

Not really cause the sold to retailers is what actually impacts their bottom line. Sell through to consumers is good for generating hype not to report for finances.