• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Officially? Not really. Assumed? Most of Europe and Asia. Late launches in some countries and deep rooted PS territories don't help so much for the Switch in these aspects, along with the fact that PS4 is still officially available in many more countries than the Switch right now. A lot of Asian and Middle Eastern countries go gray market.
Yeah the Switch (and Nintendo) doesn't acknowledge my country where PS4 has already sold more 300k consoles estimated since launch.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
The difference between digital sales during Wii U/3DS and Switch era is like night and day. We have a lot more digital offers and promotions. Good to see them finally improving in that regard.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
36m after 2 years? Unless the thing nose dives it's hitting 100m easy.
A nose dive might happen...
So far they've received quite a few multiplats, I think that will be much rarer when PS5, Scarlett and Stadia are all out in the open.
On the other hand, with Lite launching Switch could be seen as a regular portable and might get into that market which doesn't have any competition.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The difference between digital sales during Wii U/3DS and Switch era is like night and day. We have a lot more digital offers and promotions. Good to see them finally improving in that regard.
Yeah 38% digital is a big deal. I think they need to try adding estimated digital numbers to NPD figures now. The "no digital sales included" phrase won't do anymore.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
If you asked yesherday almost everybody would say that it was going to be over PS4.
Really really puts in perspective how big PS brand is worldwide

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So far they've received quite a few multiplats, I think that will be much rarer when PS5, Scarlett and Stadia are all out in the open.
Multiplats are almost entirely irrelevant to Switch hardware sales- they're a nice bonus, but it's almost entirely driven by first party software.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Multiplats are almost entirely irrelevant to Switch hardware sales- they're a nice bonus, but it's almost entirely driven by first party software.
Yeah but they make the game draught less obvious between the big releases, I don't think the talk would be as positive with only Nintendo software on the platform. And going forward an unfortunate big power gap could affect indies as well.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

SD cards went on sale super cheap for Cyber Monday last year, I snagged a 400 GB one for my Switch and I've gone full digital ever since, I wonder how many people are in my boat.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Once again regarding digital sales, it's based on ¥ not units which is why they mention the fine print:
(※ Digital sales include downloadable versions of packaged software,
download-only software, add-on content and Nintendo Switch Online.)

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Understandable. Regarding Switch shipping numbers. Great to see Mario Maker 2 doing so well.

Nintendo slowing down on Switch OG shipments and ramping into the new generation of Switch OG 2.0 and Switch Lite models. Why would Nintendo waste resources on their OG model when its replacement is a few weeks away using mostly the same parts.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Length contest, as it's always been. It doesn't help that both Sony and Nintendo put out their reports at the same general time frame so there's always reactions.

Just as I can appreciate PS4's insanely consistent sellthrough on their consoles, I can appreciate Nintendo's insane software attachment numbers.
We will have to wait and see what Switch's numbers are next year at this time, but it is up YoY, and should hit it's yearly goal without much trouble.

As for the comparison to the PS4, they really aren't super far off. PS4 at 29 months had shipped 40 Million consoles. Switch at 28 months has shipped almost 37 Million consoles.

Considering their launch times and where they are in the generation; PS4 being at the start of the generation, riding a wave cased by their competitors both failing hard to make an impression on the market, and Switch coming in the 4th year of the generation and being viewed mostly as a second option by the media. I think both have been really impressive this generation, I think by the time Switch is replaced, it will likely have a similar LTD as the PS4. That bodes well for the industry, and for us.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I am actually more curious how the next quarter will look like and how big the shipment for the new models will be.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't hardware be higher at this point in life of the system?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Not impressive at all for a new console but not bad either ...

I feel that this has been mostly the story of the switch hardware sales after 2017. And honestly it makes sense; from December 2017 to May 2019, they had a grand total of two really big games (smash and a Pokemon spin off/remake), while missing on nearly every strong third party releases besides notable exceptions such as MK11.
If anything, it's surprising that it still sells that much.
June 2019 onwards looks much better but that was a very rough 1 1/2 year.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't hardware be higher at this point in life of the system?

It's higher than the same quarter last year.

Unless you were expecting more than that which would mean more new titles to push hardware sales while at the same time Nintendo is getting rid of the current Hardware SKU and releasing a new revision from August.

Nintendo Europe shipments???????????
Miracle??????

I like this new era

And it shows how Japan is as strong as one whole continent.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
74.1% of all software sales are first party, Sony and MS won't reach these numbers in their wildest dreams. This is why the Nintendo third party meme will always stay a meme.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It does, PS4 has been consistently shipping more than the Switch worldwide which means also selling more worldwide. Just because we have concrete data for a few countries of Switch outselling doesn't mean Switch outselling the PS4 globally in all the countries.

No it doesn't, shipped it's not sold, it depends on how much is Nintendo depleting the stock already and how much stock Sony has around the world. 2 informations that are not available to the public.

It is possible Sony sold more PS4, but we can't tell because of Nintendo clearing stock in preparation for the imminent launch of the revision and the Lite.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So did Let's Go drop off a cliff? Only 350,000 in the last 3 months seems super low for a Pokémon game at this point in its lifespan, especially with its initial numbers. Breath of the Wild did 840,000 in the same window and that's all after the 2 year mark. Let's Go's still months away from year 1.
No, its shipments on a launch aligned basis are bigger than ORAS, which should be the closest point of comparison. It's doing quite well in terms of longevity for a Pokémon game, actually. ORAS probably will end up higher due to there not being a 2015 Pokémon game, but those are circumstances that are outside of Let's Go's own performance imo

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
No it doesn't, shipped it's not sold, it depends on how much is Nintendo depleting the stock already and how much stock Sony has around the world. 2 informations that are not available to the public.

It is possible Sony sold more PS4, but we can't tell because of Nintendo clearing stock in preparation for the imminent launch of the revision and the Lite.
This is nonsensical. Like I said Sony consistently is shipping more since the Switch has launched, there is no reason for this to happen if Sony didn't sell more. Why would shops stockpile on PS4's (for years) that aren't sold?

edit: PS4 is sold in over what, 100 countries? If PS4 isn't number 1 in 3-4 countries that still leaves 96 countries where it is that takes it to number 1 overall globally.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Hnmmm...hardware doesn't t look that impressive tbh. Looks like Let's go will sell 11m or is at that already

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
We're talking about this quarter specifically
This talk happens every quarter, shops can't keep on putting extra piles on these unsold shipped PS4s every quarter. PS4 keeps shipping more, yet some users think because of data of few countries the Switch is selling more globally.